I think the closest comp for OKC will end up being the Spurs dynasty.

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Can the Thunder become the next Spurs type run?

Yes, it’s a realistic path.
10%
It’s a possibility, a lot needs to go right
38%
Hell no
52%

Total votes: 81

One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,711

Re: I think the closest comp for OKC will end up being the Spurs dynasty. 

Post#41 » by One_and_Done » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:38 am

SGA is good, but he's not Tim Duncan good.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,079

Post#42 » by shangrila » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:40 am

How about you win one first, then we talk?
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,399

Post#43 » by jkvonny » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:40 am

I think that they'll get at least ONE NBA championship within a few seasons.

But, a long time dynasty run similar to the Spurs of the late '90s - mid 2010s? 5 NBA championships? I'm not too sure about that.

For one reason, there are a whole bunch of other good teams around the league as well. Parity is way higher than it was back then.
Milenkovic
Senior
And1: 667

Post#44 » by Milenkovic » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:49 am

Duncan was generational, and could've and possibly should've won the MVP in his rookie season. He was the glue. As good as SGA is, he's just not that
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,661

Post#45 » by SFour » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:52 am

a dynasty requires an all-time great generational superstar.....SGA is more comparable to a player like Tatum than he is to a Jokic.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 92,620

Post#46 » by Capn'O » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:03 am

I don't think we know how good SGA is yet. What he does in coming weeks is the start of his legacy.

Patches Perry wrote:
Capn'O wrote:The biggest obstacle to them forming a Spurs like dynasty will be... the Spurs.

Unfortunately true. There is no better accelerator for a dynasty than drafting a generational talent. Without that as your foundation, everything can fall apart quickly. Spurs are incredibly lucky, and to have Robinson, Duncan, Wemby back to back to back is an embarrassment of riches.

You guys are in a great place though.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,926

Post#47 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:24 am

Milenkovic wrote:Duncan was generational, and could've and possibly should've won the MVP in his rookie season. He was the glue. As good as SGA is, he's just not that

Having statistically a top 5 guard season ever at 25 years old is arguably generational. He will never match Duncan simply because of how great Duncan defense was… but it’s also important to talk about how SGA came into the league as a 19 year old and not a 21 year old going on 22. Guards usually take longer to reach their prime too.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#48 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:25 am

SFour wrote:a dynasty requires an all-time great generational superstar.....SGA is more comparable to a player like Tatum than he is to a Jokic.

SGA has arguably the greatest improvement and leap to leap chart among any guard in history. He was ranked as the 4th or 5th best prospect on his own college team. But yes Jokic likely goes down as top 5 all time by the end. SGA is likely top 50.

For example he will easily be greater than Nash, Kidd, Payton. Likely in convo with Magic, CP3, Isaiah, Stockton.

Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,722

Post#49 » by Dez » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:30 am

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Milenkovic wrote:Duncan was generational, and could've and possibly should've won the MVP in his rookie season. He was the glue. As good as SGA is, he's just not that

Having statistically a top 5 guard season ever at 25 years old is arguably generational. He will never match Duncan simply because of how great Duncan defense was… but it’s also important to talk about how SGA came into the league as a 19 year old and not a 21 year old going on 22. Guards usually take longer to reach their prime too.

What?
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#50 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:34 am

Dez wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:

What?

Yes. Among high upside players it’s way easier to make an impact from day one as a big. They have way lower usage and ball handling, lesser offensive roles. The game is faster for guards. Shall we make a chart of all of your favorite Hall of Fame players and compare when each of them hit their prime?

tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,095

Post#51 » by tmorgan » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:47 am

OKC is in a great spot. Sure, they could get multiple titles and win 50+ for a decade or more. But it sure isn’t likely. For anyone. Appreciate those Spurs.

I see Chet as the biggest issue. I just can’t see him banging down low and staying consistently healthy. He’s a pencil, and always will be. True, there have been exceptions with his body type, but I’m not sure there have been any PF/C with his body type that have lasted.

Just gotta keep making smart moves. Don’t wait to improve. The time is now.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,948

Post#52 » by NZB2323 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:03 am

You guys also made the finals in 2012 when your 4 best players were 23, 23, 22, and 22, and you haven’t made it back to the Finals.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,183

Post#53 » by durden_tyler » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:21 am

Slow down, they might not even reach the NBA Finals this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,539

Post#54 » by Jaqua92 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:52 am

OkcSinceSGA wrote:What could I possibly mean by this seemingly insane at first glance statement? A super team that was assembled organically at a young age with a lot of key role players, that has a very, very long title window. With a top 3 MVP level guy, but with two players surrounding him that can easily randomly go off and win finals MVP some day (Parker, Ginobili and Chet, Williams).

Their stars are 25, 23 and 21 years old. All 3 have high skill, not athleticism based games. Their high upside role players still in development range from 20-24 years old. My official prediction for them is 2-4 rings over a 12 year run of being a top 3 team in the league. They aren’t a Warriors, Lakers or Bulls dynasty where they overpower teams for several years in a row. They won’t threepeat or even repeat most likely.

They are going to be more like a team that’s just always in the hunt for 10+ years and the years where health, talent, matchup breaks their way they win rings.

I’ve already had to bump 4 prediction threads this week. Maybe you guys won’t let me bump this one in 10 years.

We said the same about the Celtics 5 years ago. Still haven't won.

Chill.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,235

Post#55 » by EArl » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:10 am

They're the 04 Pistons compared to the Spurs Dynasty.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,203

Post#56 » by AdagioPace » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:26 am

Lets see if they first reach durant/harden/westbrook success in the PS. Even winning a single title is extremely hard.
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,354

Post#57 » by brutalitops » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:30 am

People lacking shame is a real issue in our society

4 titles in 8 years and OKC haven't won a play off series yet.

Williams can't rally get any better. What will happen is people will realize how **** good he is and is an all star right now, or his usage goes up and scores more

I think however you don't need any *more* players. It's hoping Wallace/Giddy/Jdub are happy to come off the bench for a lesser role and less money in the next 5 years.

But what the ****?
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,496

Post#58 » by Patsfan1081 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:06 am

SFour wrote:a dynasty requires an all-time great generational superstar.....SGA is more comparable to a player like Tatum than he is to a Jokic.

This is kind of unfair, no one was calling Jokic a generational talent at 25/26, and it’s not like SGA and Tatum haven’t been first team all nba a couple years in a row now. Both have enough talent to lead a team to win consecutive titles if not more, it’s just silly to bring it up until they at least win one.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,264

Post#59 » by xdrta+ » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:27 am

Once salary caps, luxury taxes, and new Apron restrictions are factored in, it's unlikely that any team will go on a long dynasty type run anymore. As young stars age into max salaries all of a sudden restrictions keep a team from adding anything but taxpayer MLEs and finally only minimum players. It becomes impossible to build a team. With a lot of luck, two or even three titles may be possible, but a longer run.......those days are over.
5IVE5TAR5
Ballboy
And1: 73

Post#60 » by 5IVE5TAR5 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:03 pm

I can see it.

Return to The General Board