Anybody else think the TWolves match up well with the Nuggets?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who you got?

Wolves
50%
Nuggets
50%

Total votes: 72

NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,997

Re: Anybody else think the TWolves match up well with the Nuggets? 

Post#21 » by NyKnicks1714 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:26 am

Denver won't play like this against Minnesota because their game plan won't be the same. Allowing the Lakers to get off to early leads isn't the flaw people think it is.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,056

Post#22 » by shrink » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:29 am

shrink wrote:I always thought it’s Minny [who matches up best against DEN - sic] because they are best at negating the things at negating DEN’s match up advantages.

MIN plays Towns on Jokic. Nobody stops Jokic, but Towns length helps reduce his passing ability, and makes Jokic more of a scorer. That allows Gobert to protect the paint while he guards Aaron Gordon. For most teams, that means if they use their PF and C this way, Porter has a big size advantage on his defender. The Wolves though are loaded with quality players 6-9 or taller, with Jaden McDaniels, Naz, and Kyle Anderson. In fact, MIN likely has the size advantage in the match up, because DEN’s bench bigs aren’t as deep as MIN.

Next, Jamal Murray is an under-rated player finally getting his due, and a lot of that credit goes to receiving great passes from Jokic. But MIN is showing that with defenders like McDaniels and Ant (and Nickiel Alexander-Walker), they can really limit perimeter scorers, like Devin Booker.

On the other hand, how does DEN handle Ant? They don’t have Brown this year, and the only player that could maybe defend him is Gordon. However, Gordon is the ONLY option they have to defend Towns size and scoring ability. Towns shoots over smaller guys, and drive past bigger, slower defenders.

I’m not saying MIN is better than DEN, and they should be favored. I am saying that MIN’s team composition (both built by Tim Connelly) create a lot of match up issues for the Nuggets. I wonder if Connelly realized that for the MIN to have high level success, he needed to build a team that could match up with with DEN, and that influenced him to pay such a high price to acquire Gobert?
Showdown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,107

Post#23 » by Showdown » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:31 am

Gobert is not that good on 1 on 1 defense and that make them worse against Nuggets because Nuggets game includes Jokić in every play and Edwards is only guy that can invent basket when their gameplan colapse and he need to go wild like in the previous PO series against Nuggets for them to have the chance(KAT have talent to do so but he didn't show he can do it in PO so far) and Reid and NAW could easily be made irelevant by different schemes. Suns were the team that Nuggets players feared the most so Minnesota is doing them a favor by moving them from their road to the finals.
shrink
RealGM

Re: how do the wolves match up with denver? 

Post#24 » by shrink » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:32 am

Besides the factors you mentioned, MIN has a big advantage in depth, with quality players in Naz Reid, Nickiel Alexander-Walker and Kyle Anderson.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,138

Post#25 » by GSP » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:35 am

Of all 4 series Jokic played last year his worst was against Wolves. He still balled b/c hes unstoppable but he shot a .575ts that series and he shot .701ts that season and was in that range every other series

Nuggets are also WORSE w.o Brown or Jeff Green. They got 5 bench points tonight and have statistically had a bottom 5 bench all season

Series last year was a possession away from going 6 and Denver had a better team w/ Brown and Jeff and Wolves didnt have Naz Reid OR Jaden Mcdaniels that series. Murray has a far tougher time w/ Jaden guarding him and thats 2 of their top 5 players in general. Naz just won 6moy too.

Wolves in 6 if it happens but Denver can still lose this series

shrink
RealGM

Post#26 » by shrink » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:35 am

Showdown wrote:Gobert is not that good on 1 on 1 defense and that make them worse against Nuggets because Nuggets game includes Jokić in every play and Edwards is only guy that can invent basket when their gameplan colapse and he need to go wild like in the previous PO series against Nuggets for them to have the chance(KAT have talent to do so but he didn't show he can do it in PO so far) and Reid and NAW could easily be made irelevant by different schemes. Suns were the team that Nuggets players feared the most so Minnesota is doing them a favor by moving them from their road to the finals.

I don’t think there is a single sentence in this post I agree with.

Wait. It’s only two sentences.
Ridicululz
Rookie
And1: 1,708

Post#27 » by Ridicululz » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:38 am

Murray needs to step up. He's had some great clutch moments, but he needs to be more consistent if they want to beat the Wolves
Shaka_Zulu
Sixth Man
And1: 1,916

Post#28 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:40 am

Shrink: that guy started the post with Gobert not good at 1v1 defence. There really was no point reading any further.
Lala870
Starter
And1: 1,487

Post#29 » by Lala870 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:43 am

Ridicululz wrote:Murray needs to step up. He's had some great clutch moments, but he needs to be more consistent if they want to beat the Wolves

Dont see it happening. Hes always injured and is highly inconsistent.

Had that bubble series where he dropped 50 or something but it doesnt overshadow his injury/chucking propensity. Between him and MPJ they are glass cannons.
Al Harrington is my inspiration for weed entrepreneurship!
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,242

Post#30 » by BigGargamel » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:00 am

Yes. I'm absolutely terrified of the Wolves. Probably more than any other team in the playoffs, Boston included.
OriAr
Sophomore
And1: 82

Post#31 » by OriAr » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:09 am

They've been built to counter Denver so yes.
I think the Wolves beat Denver, and I've seen nothing this postseason to change my opinion.
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,705

Post#32 » by Up-And-Coming » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:27 am

They matchup pretty well but I just don't see it making that big of a difference. KAT is already prone to get in foul trouble and I see Jokic just getting him in foul trouble early. If they put Gobert on Jokic they'll just spam the pick and roll and try to get switches and Aaron Gordon is one of the best cutters for lobs/dunks/offensive boards. Gordon will back-door KAT possibly even moreso than he's done against Lebron.

If you put McDaniels on Gordon, MPJ has been the best shooter/movement shooter so far in the playoffs and has been absolutely knockdown. I suppose Naz Reid is the X-factor.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,120

Post#33 » by UcanUwill » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:41 am

If I am Nuggets, I would start to worry a bit. If odds were really good, I could easily talk myself into placing a bet on Minny winning, to make it more engaging for me.
Not only they have bigs, but who the hell guards Ant? If Nuggets beat Wolves, I think they ultimately win championship.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,777

Post#34 » by Peregrine01 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:16 am

If Murray keeps playing like this (absolute dog **** against such defensive stalwarts like Reaves and DLo), the Wolves are gonna win handedly.
Ugly Duckling
Analyst
And1: 1,579

Post#35 » by Ugly Duckling » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:23 am

GSP wrote:Wolves will beat Denver if Denver doesnt choke the 3-0 lead which is possible Tbh

They were up 3-0 on Wolves last year and were a possession away from going game 6. Won game 5 by 3pts.

Denver lost alot of depth w.o Bruce Brown and Jeff Green. They got 5 from their bench tonight and they have one of the worst benches in the league in general.

Also last series last year that was a hair from going 6................Wolves didnt have Naz Reid OR Jaden Mcdaniels. Thats 2 of their top 5 players. Murray isnt gonna have the series he had last year w/ Jaden back guarding him. And thats just obvious much more depth for em. And Denver had everyone last year and couldnt guard Ant at all itd be no different this time around.

Wolves in 6 if it happens but dont count out La

if la pulls off this historic feat, lebron is the goat in my book, which says a lot given where i'm from and who my fav player is
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
Ugly Duckling
Analyst
And1: 1,579

Post#36 » by Ugly Duckling » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:24 am

shrink wrote:Besides the factors you mentioned, MIN has a big advantage in depth, with quality players in Naz Reid, Nickiel Alexander-Walker and Kyle Anderson.

i did mention that, but i agree that their depth might put them over the edge as that's where they have the advantage
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
LaLover11
Rookie
And1: 726

Post#37 » by LaLover11 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:30 am

nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,652

Post#38 » by nomansland » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:00 am

This series would be the equivalant of the conference finals. Honestly Minnesota worries me, especially if the Nugs try to F around like they are with the Lakers. I think they'll be more serious if they advance, but it'll take everything they have physically and mentally to beat Minnesota.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,688

Post#39 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:06 am

Minny wins easily if Murray keeps playing like crap. If he plays well, then it's a close series, with Denver having the edge.
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,445

Post#40 » by MrGoat » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:09 am

Ant and KAT are playing better with more playoff experience this time. I think KAT is the X factor here. If Jamal Murray doesn't find his superstar form that he's had in former playoffs again Denver is potentially vulnerable

Return to The General Board