Anybody else think the TWolves match up well with the Nuggets?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who you got?

Wolves
50%
Nuggets
50%

Total votes: 72

kazyv
Junior
And1: 463

Re: how do the wolves match up with denver? 

Post#41 » by kazyv » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:46 am

MrGoat wrote:Ant and KAT are playing better with more playoff experience this time. I think KAT is the X factor here. If Jamal Murray doesn't find his superstar form that he's had in former playoffs again Denver is potentially vulnerable

i agree. denver matches up well with the wolves if mpj can just guard KAT and do well, so the main defensive focus can be on ANT. if KAT forces some match up trouble, obviously it may not be quite as easy for denver to cover all their bases. but that's assuming they even have to put gordon on ANT, maybe KCP can deal with him well enough. overall, i'd say it's a fairly even matchup that favors denver because they have the best player.
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 5,998

Re: how do the wolves match up with denver? 

Post#42 » by Exp0sed » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:56 am

jkvonny wrote:IDK. Possible upset?

Denver cant play like this against Minny. They will regret it.

They better fix things ASAP.

I wouldn't call it an upset
Minny has been the better team this season, they did end up below the Nuggets (by a hair) in the rs but that's only because KAT tore his meniscus

problem for Denver is Malone will go with his usual blueprint and Jokic as well, in trying to get everyone involved which means watching Iso Murray brick shots over Minny's elite defenders and get every other pocket pass to Jokic, picked and stripped

by the time he might make some adjustments, Denver would already be 0-2 down or 1-1 with HCA for Minny
Nuggets have no room for error vs. the Wolves, i'd keep Jackson glued to the bench, he'd be unplayable vs. the Wolves and also force most of the action through Jokic

I know Jokic doesn't like playing like that but it's their best bet to beat the Wolves
Ray Donovan
Junior
And1: 164

Re: Anybody else think the TWolves match up well with the Nuggets? 

Post#43 » by Ray Donovan » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:09 pm

What about Mavs , can they beat Okc then can Denver beat Minnesota ?
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,370

Post#44 » by GrandTheftRondo » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:32 pm

Didn’t someone from the Nugs say the Wolves really made it difficult for them last playoffs?
Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,325

Post#45 » by Godymas » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

yes, their depth alone should be a nightmare for Mike Malone to figure out.

Denver doesn't have the luxury of playing a guy like Nickeil Alexander Walker 31 minutes off the bench. Plus Minnesota still has Naz Reid who has gotten another 20 minutes. Monte Morris and Kyle Anderson basically round out a 9 man rotation and you still have a guy like Jordan Mclaughlin as the 10th guy.

Meanwhile Denver is playing every guy in the starting 5 38 mpg and their bench averages 10 mpg. The loss of Bruce Brown kind of rears it's ugly head for them in the playoffs imo. Christian Braun and Peyton Watson, they're alright players, good enough for a regular season rotation, but they aren't the same caliber of depth as Minnesota where NAW, Naz Reid, Morris, Kyle Anderson would all be starting on mid to bad teams while Denver's depth would always be a rotation no matter what team
Movics
Pro Prospect
And1: 780

Post#46 » by Movics » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:03 pm

GrandTheftRondo wrote:Didn’t someone from the Nugs say the Wolves really made it difficult for them last playoffs?

I remember a comment like that too, and Minny played without their best perimeter defender and this year’s 6th man of the year. As someone said before in this thread, this is the NBA finals this year. Whoever advances will win the chip
all I ever needed was somebody with some reason who can keep me sane
Ever since I can remember, I've been keepin' it together, but I'm feelin' strange
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,133

Post#47 » by Iwasawitness » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:17 pm

jkvonny wrote:IDK. Possible upset?

Denver cant play like this against Minny. They will regret it.

They better fix things ASAP.

It wouldn’t be an upset by any stretch of the imagination if Minny beat Denver.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,072

Post#48 » by shrink » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:44 pm

Movics wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:Didn’t someone from the Nugs say the Wolves really made it difficult for them last playoffs?

I remember a comment like that too, and Minny played without their best perimeter defender and this year’s 6th man of the year. As someone said before in this thread, this is the NBA finals this year. Whoever advances will win the chip

Bruce Brown
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,333

Post#49 » by sfernald » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:59 pm

Ray Donovan wrote:What about Mavs , can they beat Okc then can Denver beat Minnesota ?

Mavs beating Okc is a long shot, Okc looking like they have three stars and Shai way more efficient than Doncic right now. Is Doncic even healthy?
Yuri36
Starter
And1: 1,503

Post#50 » by Yuri36 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:25 pm

sfernald wrote:
Ray Donovan wrote:What about Mavs , can they beat Okc then can Denver beat Minnesota ?

Mavs beating Okc is a long shot, Okc looking like they have three stars and Shai way more efficient than Doncic right now. Is Doncic even healthy?

lol it seems like you like others have already forgotten the lesson OKC took from a full strength Mavs team few weeks ago.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,800

Post#51 » by cupcakesnake » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:25 pm

LaLover11 wrote:Lakers matchup up better than the Wolves

If this is a joke this is a pretty good joke.
If you're being serious, it's still a pretty good joke.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
LaLover11
Rookie
And1: 750

Post#52 » by LaLover11 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:30 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:

I honestly do want to know why you think differently
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,641

Post#53 » by jpatrick » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:38 pm

As a Minnesota fan, I do think the Wolves are by far Denver’s biggest challenge in the West. That said, I’d still favor the Nuggets, especially with home court.

It comes down to making shots. The Wolves will put Gobert on Gordon and let him lurk. If Gordon can’t make shots and Murray doesn’t go on a heater for a few games, Minnesota will win. Jokic is going to put up huge numbers no matter what. He’s too good. Minnesota has to try and limit the supporting cast.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#54 » by cupcakesnake » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:55 pm

LaLover11 wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:

Well I'd start with what we've seen from these matchups recently.
- LA just got its first win in 13 tries. They're 1-12 against Denver in that span.
- Minnesota has gone 4-4 in the regular season over the past 2 seasons. They played in them in the playoffs last year missing McDaniels, SloMo, and Naz, while also having Gobert and Towns playing through injury. That series went 4-1.

The Lakers are a team that likes to bludgeon you with size, and use that same size to protect the paint on defense (usually at the expense of 3s). The problem here is that the Nuggets are bigger than the Lakers so that defense doesn't bother them. The Nuggets are unusually cold from 3 this series, but otherwise, the Nuggets have been able to do what they want offensively.

The Timberwolves do have the size advantage over the Nuggets. Towns is the same size as Jokic, and Gobert is even bigger. While the Lakers have to experiment with Rui/Lebron bodying Jokic to activate AD's rim protection, the Wolves can keep a much bigger body on Jokic without needing waste Gobert on that. The Wolves also have much larger perimeter defenders to fluster the Nuggets guards. Just look at what the 6'10" Jaden McDaniels (and Ant and NAW) are doing to the Phoenix guards right now. Unlike the Lakers, the Wolves don't have big weak spots in the defense to attack. Against the Lakers, you can bank on D'Lo getting stuck on screens, and Austin Reaves having some quickness issues in certain matchups. The Wolves just have extra size and speed everywhere. Mike Conley is the only size matchup you can attack, and he's a clever little demon. Teams haven't found a way to attack Towns all season.

Defensively, Minnesota is simply one of the best defenses in the last 20 years. LA is an average defense.

Offensively, LA and Minnesota are around the same overall but with stylistic differences. Both teams want to bludgeon you with size (but the Wolves have better size). Both teams don't shoot a ton of 3s (but Minnesota shoots more 3s and shoots them better). LA has better possession management with Lebron. LA wins the free throw battle. Minnesota has more defense busting though because Ant can puncture the defense off the dribble, and Towns shooting threat really messes teams up.

Just think of little matchup things and how Minnesota is clearly better suited to guard them. Murray/Jokic pick & roll with Aaron Gordon in the dunker spot? Wolves have a 6'10" guy on Murray, and good luck throwing the duck in lob to Aaron Gordon because guess who's guarding him? Rudy Gobert. When these teams have matched up healthy, Minnesota is the only team that has been able to take them out of their comfort zone a bit and counter their favorite plays.

cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,763

Post#55 » by cgf » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:59 pm

Yes…but I’ve still got Denver…
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
LeBronSpaghetti
Junior
And1: 748

Post#56 » by LeBronSpaghetti » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:59 pm

The Nuggets depth is a big problem now that Jamal Murray has decided to do his best Reggie Jackson impression. If he doesn’t pull his head out the Nuggets will lose to the Wolves.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#57 » by cupcakesnake » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:02 pm

jpatrick wrote:As a Minnesota fan, I do think the Wolves are by far Denver’s biggest challenge in the West. That said, I’d still favor the Nuggets, especially with home court.

It comes down to making shots. The Wolves will put Gobert on Gordon and let him lurk. If Gordon can’t make shots and Murray doesn’t go on a heater for a few games, Minnesota will win. Jokic is going to put up huge numbers no matter what. He’s too good. Minnesota has to try and limit the supporting cast.

I think this "put your rim protector on a non-shooter and let him lurk" thing gets overstated by fans. This was the go-to strategy for a while, but it hasn't worked as a full solution since 2017 or 2018. The non-shooter (Aaron Gordon in this case) becomes a screener when you try this strategy. So Gordon goes and sets screens for Murray, and if Gobert is just "lurking" in the paint, that's a wide open shot for Denver. Yes, the Wolves will probably put Gobert on Gordon, but that wont allow Gobert to hang out in the paint. Guarding Gordon means being responsible for harassing the any ball handler Gordon screens for.

Guarding Gordon will allow Gobert some ability to stay closer to the paint, but it's not a full-time solution on its own. It's great because it means Gordon can't do his thing in the dunker spot, which takes away Denver's favorite configuration late in games. But Denver will try to drag Gobert and Conley into as much screen navigation as they can. Minnesota has been plenty good at doing this too.

Wolves are a serious defensive obstacle for Denver to get by. I'm with you in that I still favor the Nuggets overall.

BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 3,015

Post#58 » by BelgradeNugget » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:13 pm

It something like 52% Denver - 48% Minnesota
LaLover11
Rookie
And1: 750

Post#59 » by LaLover11 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:20 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:

Well I'd start with what we've seen from these matchups recently.
- LA just got its first win in 13 tries. They're 1-12 against Denver in that span.
- Minnesota has gone 4-4 in the regular season over the past 2 seasons. They played in them in the playoffs last year missing McDaniels, SloMo, and Naz, while also having Gobert and Towns playing through injury. That series went 4-1.

The Lakers are a team that likes to bludgeon you with size, and use that same size to protect the paint on defense (usually at the expense of 3s). The problem here is that the Nuggets are bigger than the Lakers so that defense doesn't bother them. The Nuggets are unusually cold from 3 this series, but otherwise, the Nuggets have been able to do what they want offensively.

The Timberwolves do have the size advantage over the Nuggets. Towns is the same size as Jokic, and Gobert is even bigger. While the Lakers have to experiment with Rui/Lebron bodying Jokic to activate AD's rim protection, the Wolves can keep a much bigger body on Jokic without needing waste Gobert on that. The Wolves also have much larger perimeter defenders to fluster the Nuggets guards. Just look at what the 6'10" Jaden McDaniels (and Ant and NAW) are doing to the Phoenix guards right now. Unlike the Lakers, the Wolves don't have big weak spots in the defense to attack. Against the Lakers, you can bank on D'Lo getting stuck on screens, and Austin Reaves having some quickness issues in certain matchups. The Wolves just have extra size and speed everywhere. Mike Conley is the only size matchup you can attack, and he's a clever little demon. Teams haven't found a way to attack Towns all season.

Defensively, Minnesota is simply one of the best defenses in the last 20 years. LA is an average defense.

Offensively, LA and Minnesota are around the same overall but with stylistic differences. Both teams want to bludgeon you with size (but the Wolves have better size). Both teams don't shoot a ton of 3s (but Minnesota shoots more 3s and shoots them better). LA has better possession management with Lebron. LA wins the free throw battle. Minnesota has more defense busting though because Ant can puncture the defense off the dribble, and Towns shooting threat really messes teams up.

Just think of little matchup things and how Minnesota is clearly better suited to guard them. Murray/Jokic pick & roll with Aaron Gordon in the dunker spot? Wolves have a 6'10" guy on Murray, and good luck throwing the duck in lob to Aaron Gordon because guess who's guarding him? Rudy Gobert. When these teams have matched up healthy, Minnesota is the only team that has been able to take them out of their comfort zone a bit and counter their favorite plays.

Great answer and very detailed response

My take is this about the Timberwolves vs Nuggets

You said you can put Towns on Jokic... If the Wolves do that, you can bet Towns will get in foul trouble instantly which would take away your Best Front Court offensive player. AD can actually almost Defend Jokic 1vs1 because he's a DPOY candidate.

If you put Gobert on Jokic now you have no interior defense vs Nuggets Slashers KCP/Braun and will definitely not have anyone able to stop Gordon in the dunker position getting Alleys and Quick Layups and Monster Dunks.

Jokic can also just shoot over Gobert/Towns at the 3pt line and there's nothing Minnesota can do about it.

Murray will hunt Conley all game and will most likely get the switch with Jokic hand off Screens which is BBQ chicken all day. Murray is struggling because of AD's Quickness helping DLo/Reaves defend him in the paint
Gobert is clumsy and very slow vs guards in the perimeter 100% If McDaniels tries to help defense... Porter JR is getting 30 pts easily

KCP will do so much better than Beal/Booker/Durant vs Edwards. Porter JR is going to keep McDaniels so busy he won't be able to help anybody with Murray whatsoever

If Edwards starts doing that ego full court defense like I've seen him do vs the Suns he's going to get in foul trouble and Nuggets will catch the Wolves out of position

Wolves have No Playoff experience winning at all
They haven't experienced dealing with Playoff pressure
When Jokic is getting 35pts/14rebs/14 ast and Porter JR hitting daggers that will frustrate the whole inexperienced Timberwolves.

Hopefully we won't have to experience this scenario because the Lakers are winning the Series in 7
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,243

Post#60 » by _AIJ_ » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:21 pm

You had me at Blue Arrow. Sorry but that "nickname" is not it. lmao
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)

Return to The General Board