Define "Superteam"

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

ScrantonBulls
Senior
And1: 999

Re: Define "Superteam" 

Post#61 » by ScrantonBulls » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:09 am

bovice wrote:
Lalouie wrote:
Wingy wrote:
I feel no need to debate your definition, but I don’t know about considering Boston as “inorganic.” Yes, KG had to give his seal of approval, but iirc that was all primarily FO-driven.

yeah,,,i don't know if the big3 were as palsy walsy as lebron/wade/bosh that they got together as such

we're complicating it fellas. how would we know if players lobbied their front office to trade for one of their buddies? how would we ever know if KD and booker asked the suns GM to go for Beal. keep it simple.

People just say that because they don't want their team to be called a "superteam" lmao. Like you said, it's simple. A team with 3 all-star quality or HOF players while they are still effective.
Forbes
Analyst
And1: 2,572

Post#62 » by Forbes » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:42 am

Superteam for will always be
3 players on a team who were the #1 option on their previous team
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,375

Post#63 » by canada_dry » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:51 am

The elements of teaming up to form a SUPERteam.

Organically built teams cannot qualify.

Even urban dictionary has the definition down lol

There was also literally a . Com article defining it. Which is apt because it is a media created term. So they should know.

This new age fan definition of any great team being a superteam regardless of if they were organically built or not really grinds my gears lol.

The elements of stars or superstars teaming up has to be present. Its how the term superteam came to be. Its a play off the comics and Whatever that super group with batman superman and superwoman is called. Super friends or Whatever.

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,166

Post#64 » by Lalouie » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:19 am

bovice wrote:
Lalouie wrote:
Wingy wrote:
I feel no need to debate your definition, but I don’t know about considering Boston as “inorganic.” Yes, KG had to give his seal of approval, but iirc that was all primarily FO-driven.

yeah,,,i don't know if the big3 were as palsy walsy as lebron/wade/bosh that they got together as such

we're complicating it fellas. how would we know if players lobbied their front office to trade for one of their buddies? how would we ever know if KD and booker asked the suns GM to go for Beal. keep it simple.

ummmm, but that's ALL we know. it gets complicated only if we parse every single possibility.

therefore we takes what we gets
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 4,045

Post#65 » by bledredwine » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:02 pm

MavsDirk41 wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:
bledredwine wrote:In my life, Lebron teaming up with Wade and Bosh is the first time that I went "holy **** that shouldn't be allowed" and they got much deserved hate for it. That was a superteam. It was such a freak decision at the time to see three MVP candidates teaming up together, including two you could debate as the best in the league.

Since then, this forum expanded on this to the point that teams that are not superteams are considered so.

I'll say a superteam has three players that when individual, could be potential MVP candidates or at the least, are the next tier down.

It's one thing when role players try to find a roster to win a championship, but when one of the league's best players does this, one who can move the needle significantly more? I consider that a sheer lack of competitive drive, glaring weakness and have no respect for it. I like competitive mindsets in sports.

So who cares about a good bench and good coach right?
Spo was a noob with no experience and the Heat Started Joel Anthony and Arroyo lol

Keep thinking that 3 max players can beat a good team with a good coaching and a great bench roster smh

Well if you have 3 max players on a team how do you expect them to fill out their roster? Have you ever heard of a salary cap? Did James, Wade, or Bosh give up any salary to fill out the bench? Seems like they got what they asked for…,no?

What? They took pay cuts.... had Ray Allen, Shane Battier, Mario Chalmers, Rashard Lewis, Udonis Haslem on one roster.
Then Lebron, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh.

That's an insane amount of help.

Lebron knew how ridiculously unfair the decision was when he said "not 6, not 7, not 8", basically celebrating before playing a game.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
AlexanderRight
Senior
And1: 769

Post#66 » by AlexanderRight » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:12 pm

Three current active All Stars on the same team at the same time.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,839

Post#67 » by cgf » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:18 pm

Brunson, Randle, & Anunoby :rock:
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
ballzboyee
Junior
And1: 454

Post#68 » by ballzboyee » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:35 pm

At least two top 3 MVP level players at or near their primes and one other top 10 player. So far that would be:

Lebron, Wade, and Bosh
Curry, Durant, and Klay

So, it's a lot harder to build a superteam than people realize, I think. There have been a few pretender superteams that are just a collection of big names but their stars are not at peak or they are post major injury. Like the Lebron, Kyrie, and Love Cavs team was a very close to a superteam, but ultimately Kyrie was too young and wasn't near his peak. Some people have tried to claim Barkley, Hakeem, and Pippen was a superteam, but all three guys were past their prime, especially Barkley and Hakeem. Maybe you can make weak case that Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman was a superteam, but Pippen slipped a lot from his MVP level after 1994, so they would have a small window to be a superteam. If they were a superteam it was for maybe one season. The Clippers can't be superteam because PG, Kawhi, and Harden are not even close to their prime.

The classic superteam is the Heat and Warriors with four players combined that were all top 5 in their absolute primes and two really impactful top 10 players in Klay and Bosh.
The4thHorseman
General Manager
And1: 4,519

Post#69 » by The4thHorseman » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:23 pm

bledredwine wrote:In my life, Lebron teaming up with Wade and Bosh is the first time that I went "holy **** that shouldn't be allowed" and they got much deserved hate for it. That was a superteam. It was such a freak decision at the time to see three MVP candidates teaming up together including two you could debate as the best in the league.

Since then, this forum expanded on this to the point that teams that are not superteams are considered so.

I'll say a superteam has three players that when individual, could be potential MVP candidates or at the least, are the next tier down.

It's one thing when role players try to find a roster to win a championship, but when one of the league's best players does this, one who can move the needle significantly more? I consider that a sheer lack of competitive drive, glaring weakness and have no respect for it. I like competitive mindsets in sports.

Bosh never came close to playing MVP ball in Toronto and most certainly didn't with Miami either. He led the Raps to 3 playoff wins in 7 seasons.
The4thHorseman
General Manager
And1: 4,519

Post#70 » by The4thHorseman » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:30 pm

MavsDirk41 wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:
bledredwine wrote:In my life, Lebron teaming up with Wade and Bosh is the first time that I went "holy **** that shouldn't be allowed" and they got much deserved hate for it. That was a superteam. It was such a freak decision at the time to see three MVP candidates teaming up together, including two you could debate as the best in the league.

Spo was a noob with no experience and the Heat Started Joel Anthony and Arroyo lol

Keep thinking that 3 max players can beat a good team with a good coaching and a great bench roster smh

Well if you have 3 max players on a team how do you expect them to fill out their roster? Have you ever heard of a salary cap? Did James, Wade, or Bosh give up any salary to fill out the bench? Seems like they got what they asked for…,no?

Yes, the did take paycuts.

https://news.yahoo.com/udonis-haslem-says-lebron-james-185406736.html#:~:text=However%2C%20the%20Heat%20could%20not,NBA%20championships%20alongside%20the%20trio.
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,327

Post#71 » by ShootersShoot » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:43 pm

bledredwine wrote:
MavsDirk41 wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:

What? They took pay cuts.... had Ray Allen, Shane Battier, Mario Chalmers, Rashard Lewis, Udonis Haslem on one roster.
Then Lebron, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh.

That's an insame amount of help.

Lebron knew how ridiculously unfair the decision was when he said "not 6, not 7, not 8", basically celebrating before playing a game.

A top 5 of Bron, wade, bosh, Battier, Ray is simply incredible. That lineup basically has everything: elite shooter, elite playmaking, two-way stretch big, multiple #1 options, high end wing defender..basically versatility up the ying yang.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,112

It's All In The Numbers (And In The Valuables) 

Post#72 » by Wammy Giveaway » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:43 pm

Over the years, I have defined a superteam of having at least three players with the following accomplishments:

1. Multiple All-Star appearances of at least six or greater
2. One of these players is at least a regular season MVP
3. One of these players is at least a Finals MVP

I don't use All-NBA Teams because it's a tiered system; you have 1st team, 2nd team and 3rd team.

Champion awards for scoring, blocks, rebounds and the like are seen as specialty skills. While some of these awards have been superstar based, they can also be won by role players. And speaking of which...

Sixth Man award winner is a role player award, not a superteam feature. This is because Sixth Man awards have always yield in playoff losses regardless of round. Winning a title requires having an All-Star on your roster, current or previous. Teams are 0-4 in playoff series won without an All-Star. Only four teams in NBA history have been able to win both this award and the championship. If your best player is a Sixth Man award winner, and you have zero superstars, you have problems.

If a role player happens to make an All-Star Game, I call them a role star (role player plus All-Star). None of this borderline nonsense, either you are an All-Star or a role player, no tweens.
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,533

Post#73 » by Bornstellar » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:45 pm

To me, it's having 3 guys who are top 5ish players at their respective positions. The roster also has some level of major construction via trade/free agency versus the draft.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,863

Post#74 » by Jcity08 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:06 pm

Players every team would back up several brinks trucks to acquire, all teaming up on one team. Players that are faces of franchises or have the ability to be that.

Thats the peak of superteam.

Players teaming up is the key aspect in my opinion, Stars drafted on one team can be as strong or stronger than a superteam, but that was brought about by good scouting, good drafting and good management, every team can participate in that competition, usually Superteams have players that go to very specific large markets, locking out small market teams from ever being able to have a chance.

With Superteams, small market teams are just farm teams larger markets can drain talent from. Sometimes due to the fact their management/ownership is trash but mostly because of factors outside of basketball.

If people are a fan of that, might as well make the league a 4 team league.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
bledredwine
RealGM

Post#75 » by bledredwine » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:31 pm

The4thHorseman wrote:
bledredwine wrote:In my life, Lebron teaming up with Wade and Bosh is the first time that I went "holy **** that shouldn't be allowed" and they got much deserved hate for it. That was a superteam. It was such a freak decision at the time to see three MVP candidates teaming up together including two you could debate as the best in the league.

Bosh never came close to playing MVP ball in Toronto and most certainly didn't with Miami either. He led the Raps to 3 playoff wins in 7 seasons.

You need to go back and look at the stats and MVP rankings :wink:
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,745

Post#76 » by NbaAllDay » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 pm

A team of which people like to manufacture an agenda against by pretending that an NBA team consists of only 2-3 players.
bledredwine
RealGM

Post#77 » by bledredwine » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 pm

The4thHorseman wrote:

Did you watch the NBA back then? Here you go.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2010_leaders.html

Bosh was:

9th in points per game
11th in total rebounds (54th in per game though)
Had a PER of 25 which was 4th in the league
14th in win shares
Averaged 24 and 11 (points rebounds)
7th in offensive winshares
12th in MVP voting, but was ranked much higher most of the year.

I'm not going to sift through more, but what are you trying to say about Bosh?

He was an amazing player that year and consistently top 10 in the MVP race until the end, usually around 5-6.

The Heatles team up was ridiculous and seemed like cheating. There's no denying that.
bledredwine
RealGM

Post#78 » by bledredwine » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:42 pm

Lunartic wrote:I notice that fans of obvious superteams are the ones to deride the definition of it and insist everyone is just biased. Or they create some insanely strange standard involving how the players teamed up, who texted who first, what the salaries were etc.

It's literally just 3 star-tier players teaming up via FA or trade.

Everything else is just Lebron/Curry fan cope noise.

100%
The Hypnotoad
Rookie
And1: 420

Post#79 » by The Hypnotoad » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:46 pm

Forbes wrote:Superteam for will always be
3 players on a team who were the #1 option on their previous team

I say needs 4 because three is usually considered a “Big Three”. Superteams would therefore be a level above.
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,559

Post#80 » by MavsDirk41 » Wed May 1, 2024 1:00 am

The4thHorseman wrote:
MavsDirk41 wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:

Yes, the did take paycuts.

https://news.yahoo.com/udonis-haslem-says-lebron-james-185406736.html#:~:text=However%2C%20the%20Heat%20could%20not,NBA%20championships%20alongside%20the%20trio.

I stand corrected you are right. NBA salary cap that year was roughly 58 million which was spent on James, Wade, Bosh, Miller, and Haslem. They filled out the rest of the roster with vet minimum type signings.

Return to The General Board