Agree or disagree? The NBA Playoffs is mostly a 3 point shooting contest

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,658

Re: Agree or disagree? The NBA Playoffs is mostly a 3 point shooting contest 

Post#21 » by ChipotleWest » Wed May 1, 2024 1:06 am

The team that has a higher 3PT% (keep in mind this says percentage, so even if they shot less 3s it would still count) wins 69% of the time. 77% when home, 60% when away.

FT: 56%

FG: 68%

REB: 65%

So slightly higher correlation for 3 pointers than the others.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,668

Post#22 » by shi-woo » Wed May 1, 2024 3:18 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
shi-woo wrote:Woah woah woah, wait a got dang second...So what you've discovered, and what you're trying to convince me of, is that the team that makes the most baskets typically wins the game?

I've never really thought about it that way if I'm being honest

Did you think that was one of your wittier comments or one you should probably have not posted? I hope for your sake it's the latter.

I mean what did you expect when you post a thread saying the team that makes 60% of it's 3's usually wins the game, and the team that shoots 30% loses? In a league were 50% of fg attempts are said shot. It was a weird take that wasn't even in the usual "too many 3s!" argument.

3pnt shots are still FG attempts, so one would assume the team that makes more of them will win the game.

If I was to make your argument for you I would highlight that both teams have taken the same amount of shots, but Clippers have made only 5 more.

I would also highlight that the MAvs have taken 30 more FT's, but only have made half of those extra FT's they've taken. Again, not converting their scoring opportunities

Mavs are leaving a lot of points on the line, and not hitting their 3's. So it's not as simple as just saying the team that converts more from the perimeter wins.

The real issue with the series in question is that James Harden is just torching you guys like it's 2017. If he wasn't hitting the step back 3's like crazy, and was doing his 2017 foul game and driving, and Clips were converting better at the line with similar attempts, they would also be winning the series.

Because the team that converts the majority of their shots, tends to win the game :roll:

This is also taking the onus away from the players, who are breaking down the defenses to get those open looks.
dk1115
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Post#23 » by dk1115 » Wed May 1, 2024 3:43 am

FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,066

Post#24 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed May 1, 2024 3:52 am

this is today's "more skilled and better athletes" NBA. Yay!!!
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer
And1: 962

Post#25 » by Special_Puppy » Wed May 1, 2024 3:59 am

The thing about a 7 game series is that 3 point-shooting luck tends to even out somewhat. You do get anomalies like the 2023 Eastern Conference Finals, but those are rare.

Return to The General Board