ATL trading Luka or LAC trading Shai?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Astaluego
Sophomore
And1: 111

Re: ATL trading Luka or LAC trading Shai? 

Post#41 » by Astaluego » Wed May 1, 2024 8:51 pm

Without a doubt, Hawks screwed up worse...a side issue, there were no strong rumors that Tim Connelly was trying to trade the selection that becomes Ant...?they dodged a bullet there,...I wondered what kind of trade was lost there,o Which teams were involved in the conversations...
Old Mike Lorenzo
Dan1970
Freshman
And1: 55

Post#42 » by Dan1970 » Wed May 1, 2024 9:20 pm

Bucks trade Dirk to Mavs for Tractor Traylor. :lol:
KrazyP
General Manager
And1: 5,461

Post#43 » by KrazyP » Wed May 1, 2024 9:24 pm

The draft is a crap shoot....always has been always will be. Food for thought....

The Suns and Kings had an opportunity to draft Luka Doncic and opted for Deandre Ayton and Marvin Bagley instead.

In that same draft, the Magic, Bulls, Cavs and Knicks had the opportunity to draft SGA but they opted for Mo Bamba, Wendall Carter, Colin Sexton and Kevin Knox instead.

If the Hawks had drafted Young at #3 rather than trading down to get him at #5, it would still have been a blunder but it would be percieved less harshly than it is now. The blunders the 6 teams mentioned above made are worse than the one the Hawks made but they dont get talked about much at all. It seems like we are more willing to accept draft failures than trade failures even when the trade failure is essentially a draft mistake.
LaLover11
Bench Warmer
And1: 810

Post#44 » by LaLover11 » Wed May 1, 2024 9:26 pm

Luka hasn't done anything yet
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
5IVE5TAR5
Ballboy
And1: 80

Post#45 » by 5IVE5TAR5 » Wed May 1, 2024 9:51 pm

Im say lac and shai

You also get to keep all those 5 picks/swaps and gallo to trade out for another superstar to put next to SGA+Kawhi, and then lac extends their timeline as SGA can carry when Kawhi and them get a lil older.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,673

Post#46 » by Michael Jackson » Wed May 1, 2024 9:56 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:Third answer: the Kings for drafting Marvin Bagley over Luka

Sam Bowie is clearing his throat somewhere
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,412

Post#47 » by TheNewEra » Wed May 1, 2024 10:03 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:
PeteyPablo wrote:Clippers at the very least have made a Conference Finals appearance.

OKC has yet to make a playoff run. Maybe this year they will do that.

It might be Clippers vs Thunder in the second round.

So have the Hawks.

everytime these damn topics are brought up I instantly go to the fact both teams have made just one conference finals. It’s not even a given Luka and the mavs make it out of the first round. If the belief that Luka wouldn’t destroyed on the Hawks team built around him in the East it’s all just a guess. Luka has had damn good teammates on the Mavs.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,531

Post#48 » by elchengue20 » Wed May 1, 2024 10:05 pm

ATL way worse.

As good as Shai was as a prospect nobody expected him to be a MVP calibeer player.

Trading Shai was the condition to Khawi signing with them, in a summer everbody was crazy about him after the Toronto championship run, even comparing him to MJ.

It's easy now in hindsight, but at the moment everybody would do that trade to have Kawhi (and PG). They were instantely the favorites to win the championship.

ATL traded a midget for a guy that everbody with a clue knew was a basketball phenom. In a league were midgets have become nearly unplayable.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,412

Post#49 » by TheNewEra » Wed May 1, 2024 10:09 pm

Pointgod wrote:It’s Luka all day, everyday and twice on Sundays. The reason the Clippers struggle is that Kwahi is not healthy so even a Kawhi and Shai duo would go nowhere.

if the clippers beat the Mavs without their best player with the team Luka has now then what does that say about Luka in the first place ? I get Young and the Hawks underachieved but Luka has had co star talent that Young could only dream of getting on his team.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,522

Post#50 » by PistolPeteJR » Wed May 1, 2024 10:10 pm

TheNewEra wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:
PeteyPablo wrote:Clippers at the very least have made a Conference Finals appearance.

So have the Hawks.

everytime these damn topics are brought up I instantly go to the fact both teams have made just one conference finals. It’s not even a given Luka and the mavs make it out of the first round. If the belief that Luka wouldn’t destroyed on the Hawks team built around him in the East it’s all just a guess. Luka has had damn good teammates on the Mavs.

Is Luka the better player? Obviously. Does Luka have the higher ceiling? Of course. Did the Hawks mess up big time by giving him up? Also a yes, big time. Have the Mavs had more success as a result, thus far? No. But you’d obviously undo it if you’re Atlanta while not necessarily undoing it if you’re LAC, so who knows?
Baz
Rookie
And1: 1,634

Post#51 » by Baz » Wed May 1, 2024 10:44 pm

All the teams that passed on Luka should be haunted for the duration of his career. He was the most sure-fire pick since LeBron.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,376

Post#52 » by ChipotleWest » Wed May 1, 2024 11:36 pm

Atlanta also made the ECF 1 time, but outside of that they haven't done much.
"The best ability is availability"

Not if the player sucks a**.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#53 » by ChipotleWest » Wed May 1, 2024 11:36 pm

TheNewEra wrote:
Pointgod wrote:It’s Luka all day, everyday and twice on Sundays. The reason the Clippers struggle is that Kwahi is not healthy so even a Kawhi and Shai duo would go nowhere.

if the clippers beat the Mavs without their best player with the team Luka has now then what does that say about Luka in the first place ? I get Young and the Hawks underachieved but Luka has had co star talent that Young could only dream of getting on his team.

He's got a sprain knee just stop.

It's funny how if you sit like Kawhi is now people are cool but if you try to play through it like Luka is, they murder him.

Besides that the Clippers are a deeper team. Your team has 8 guys that can score in double figures, Mavs have like 4.

ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#54 » by ChipotleWest » Wed May 1, 2024 11:48 pm

TheNewEra wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:

So have the Hawks.

He's had Porzingis who was injured the equal of 2 seasons out of 3 and 1/2, and who came up small in the playoffs, he's had Brunson who wasn't really Brunson until his last year in Dallas they made the WCF, and he's had Kyrie. Brunson and Kyrie are point guards just like him. You could also call Kyrie a shooting guard but he's not some big shooting guard who plays defense. Then if you look at the players besides them they're just guys nothing special. It'd be nice to see him with a great wing but no he's had average at best wings. His supporting cast has been highly overrated. He's on the best team he's ever been on now and their 3rd best scorer is still Tim Hardaway Jr. which has been the same since 2020. A guy who shoots a low percentage.

Since no excuses you know who else has made 1 Conference Finals? The Clippers. It's not my problem Kawhi can't stay healthy it's yours.

ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#55 » by ChipotleWest » Thu May 2, 2024 12:00 am

Dan1970 wrote:Bucks trade Dirk to Mavs for Tractor Traylor. :lol:

Mavs returned the favor to Milwaukee sorta though. Donnie Nelson the GM wanted to draft Giannis but Cuban said no we're going to move down in the draft to get more cap space to try to lure Dwight Howard who never came. :noway:

PistolPeteJR
RealGM

Post#56 » by PistolPeteJR » Thu May 2, 2024 12:00 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:
So have the Hawks.

He's had Porzingis who was injured the equal of 2 seasons out of 3 and 1/2, and who came up small in the playoffs, he's had Brunson who wasn't really Brunson until his last year in Dallas they made the WCF, and he's had Kyrie. Brunson and Kyrie are point guards just like him. You could also call Kyrie a shooting guard but he's not some big shooting guard who plays defense. Then if you look at the players besides them they're just guys nothing special. It'd be nice to see him with a great wing but no he's had average at best wings. His supporting cast has been highly overrated. He's on the best team he's ever been on now and their 3rd best scorer is still Tim Hardaway Jr. which has been the same since 2020. A guy who shoots a low percentage.

Since no excuses you know who else has made 1 Conference Finals? The Clippers. It's not my problem Kawhi can't stay healthy it's yours.

Brunson in his last year in Dallas was nowhere near the Brunson he is now. It was his best year in Dallas, yes, but nowhere near this.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#57 » by ChipotleWest » Thu May 2, 2024 12:00 am

PistolPeteJR wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:

Brunson in his last year in Dallas was nowhere near the Brunson he is now. It was his best year in Dallas, yes, but nowhere near this.

Agreed, which further proves my point.

PistolPeteJR
RealGM

Post#58 » by PistolPeteJR » Thu May 2, 2024 12:07 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

I wasn’t getting involved in that lol. I was just clarifying on the Brunson piece.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#59 » by ChipotleWest » Thu May 2, 2024 12:09 am

PistolPeteJR wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:

I wasn’t getting involved in that lol. I was just clarifying on the Brunson piece.

I mean people have argued with me "Dallas had Luka Brunson at Porzingis at the same time" But they didn't consider that Brunson was averaging 8 ppg then off the bench, and the Mavs were lucky if Porzingis was healthy. It wasn't exactly some super team that people make it out to be.

PistolPeteJR
RealGM

Post#60 » by PistolPeteJR » Thu May 2, 2024 12:13 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

I mean people have argued with me "Dallas had Luka Brunson at Porzingis at the same time" But they didn't consider that Brunson was averaging 8 ppg then off the bench, and the Mavs were lucky if Porzingis was healthy. It wasn't exactly some super team that people make it out to be.

I agree with you.

And I think KP was in the wrong role, FWIW, but at the same time, there was way too much Luka-ball going on in Dallas at the time for KP to be happy in the role he wanted at that time (#2 vs #3 in his current role in Boston, which suits him better). Not to mention health.

Return to The General Board