Reality Check: Embiid is, in fact, HIM

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

realball
Head Coach
And1: 3,185

Re: Reality Check: Embiid is, in fact, HIM 

Post#81 » by realball » Thu May 2, 2024 9:22 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
og15 wrote:
tsherkin wrote:
He is not the only player in league history to face these issues, though, so that does go only so far.

Yup, and his issue is injury and conditioning. The solution is actually likely that his scoring volume should go down in the post-season, while the perimeter guys take more load, and he can exert more impact on defense and the glass while not forcing offense.

Easier said than done, especially when the team is used to a certain style in the regular season.

This is for sure the best criticism of playoff Embiid. I don't think we should rely on him in closing situations unless he has a clear 1v1 opportunity. Not only due to conditioning but also in general I think perimeter creation is more reliable and less susceptible to defensive scheme. I'd rather design plays for Maxey who can dump the ball to Jo or Tobi if the defense closes in on him (which I have never seen as long as Embiid is also on the court).

Do you really consider him a true superstar if you can't rely on him in closing situations? Can you imagine Denver fans saying this about Jokic?
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,072

Post#82 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu May 2, 2024 9:23 pm

tsherkin wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:The Anti-Embiid arguments remind me so much of what D Rob went through.

TBF, D-Rob and Karl Malone went through this because they started being trash scorers against better defenses in the playoffs. Significant, large drop-offs in their ability to make shots. To an embarrassing degree in some cases.

Embiid is approximately a 28/11/3.5 guy in the RS on about 50/34/83 in the RS, at 61.5% TS, and +5.3 OBPM for a rude measure (acknowledging that stat in all its sundry imperfections, mind).

Come the playoffs, that changes to about 25/11/3 on about 46/29/82, at 57.9% TS and +2.8 OBPM.

There is a very visible, significant drop-off in his ability to maintain anything similar to the level of play which makes him so remarkable in the RS, on the offensive end. He exerts defensive impact, no question. There is also the truth that people a little bit oversell some specific games where he came up short. For example, in 2020 and 2021, he was a 60% and 63.1% TS guy in the playoffs (and +5.1 and +4.7 OBPM, at that). And in 2022, he was a 59% TS guy against a regular season average of 56.6% (playoff average the same).

So while he's struggling this postseason all over the place (game 3 notwithstanding) on offense, he's actually got a pretty good overall record as far as postseason performance. So where do we see the issues cropping up, that in mind? Performance relative to RS performance, sure, but let's look at it further to see what people are after.

He stank in 2018 and 2019, but those were also his 2nd and 3rd seasons in the league and his first two postseasons.

It is worth remembering that he's been a 59%+ TS guy in the RS since 2019, and since 2021? 63.6, 61.6, 65.5 and 64.4. During that same stretch, his postseasons have been at 63.1, 59.0, 56.1, 56.1 and 58.2.

Now, let's look at some specific games, yeah? This is probably where people get focused.

Philly got spanked 4-0 in 2020 by the Celtics. Having shot 47.7% from the field in the RS, Embiid shot 45.9% FG and couldn't hit a three in that series. It was a 60% TS series for him. He had a very efficient first game, led the game in scoring in games 2 and 3, then shot an uninspiring 8/18 in the final game, though that wasn't a huge deviation from his normal FG%. ANd he was 13/18 at the line. A little disappointing from an 80.7% FT shooter, but whatever.

Nothing to write home about there. A solid game, didn't have enough around him, much better opponent, etc.

Bashed the hell out of the Wizards in 2021. 7-game series against Atlanta. Opened the series with 39 and then 40. Put up a 58.8% TS series (playoff league average was 57.1%, Embiid was at 63.6%). Big drop off, but still efficient relative to the playoffs. Not ideal. 46.9% FG against Atlanta, 51.3% in the RS. So again, not ideal. Harris and Simmons weren't awesome. And Embiid closed out in Game 7 with 31/11/3. But with 8 turnovers. But he was also 5/9 in the 4th for 11 points, and they were down 5 going into the 4th. Tight game, lost it in the second quarter when Philly only scored 18 points. The team as a whole shot 35.3% FG in the 2nd. But over the whole game, he was pretty good.

Okay, 2022. Smacked my Raps around pretty good. 26/11/2 on 62.3% TS. Nothing to report there, he ripped us apart. Against Bam and the Heat? Hot garbage. 20/10/2 on 42.6% FG, 25% from 3, 53.2% TS. Playoff league average was 56.7% (so -4.5%), and he'd posted 61.6% in the regular season. Miami was a top 5 defense, and top 2 in the playoffs. During the postseason, they allowed an average team FG% of 44.6%, good enough for 5th-best in the playoffs. And Bam was individually a strong dude who was physical and contested Embiid well, the sort against which he tends not to fare well. Kind of like Mitchell Robinson, as it happens. Didn't lead a game in scoring once in that series.

He did, however, miss the first two games of the series from the orbital fracture/concussion, which should be considered. Stank in Game 3 and 6, very good in 4 and 5 (albeit a -29 as Miami beat the ever-loving crap out of them). 7/24 in the final game of the series. Whole team was trash in that one. He was at a -6, but everyone was brutal and they lost by 9. He definitely overshot and was an absolutely brutal mess. Maxey was also brutal, but not 29% from the field brutal.

Okay.

2023. They sweep Brooklyn. Embiid looked... troubled. 20/11/4 and 5 turnovers per game. 1 MORE turnover than Harden in 36 FEWER minutes. 46.2% FG, 12.5% from 3... But he was 23/24 from the line, which saved his efficiency and left him at 60.5%. In the RS, he'd been a 65.5% player, so still quite a drop-off, and it took 95.8% from the line to save him as he dropped from 54.8% FG in the RS all the way down to that 46.2%. 8.6% is a HUUUUUUUGE drop. But again, he also missed Game 4 with the sprained knee.

Against Boston. Brutal. 42.1% from the field. 20% from 3. 54.5% TS. Playoff league average was 56.6%, and again he'd been at 65.5% (best of his career) during the RS. Massive drop-off. Boston was almost 10 points better in team ORTG in that series, won the offensive rebounding and eFG% battles, and Embiid was a big part of that. Of course, he missed the first game of that series as well (which they won), then debuted in a loss (-23), never shot better than 47.4% from the field and closed the series with a 5/18 performance where he was -28.

There's some food for thought there. He's struggled to bring it in the playoffs. He is a volume scorer; dropping off that sharply as a volume scorer in the playoffs is still a problem, even with his defensive contributions. The same was true of Robinson, and of Karl Malone. He needs to be able to produce on O. When he does, Philly is a very, very different team.

A lot of this come back to him being injured basically every postseason. He does largely seem fine when he's some kind of healthy... but if he's basically never healthy, then that matters only so much and leaves him as a fanciful what-if type of player. This offsets some of this raw +/- data, particularly when there's a reasonably clear trend.

Just some food for thought.

Here's the thing, I don't promote/defend the scoring production of either Embiid or D Rob in the playoffs. It is clear their efficiency drops for a variety of reasons, some of which you reference. The biggest reason is defensive scheme which gets ignored all too often in these discussions. He could shoot 10% from the field but if he constantly generates open looks for his teammates then the value is still there.

More than that though, the defensive impact of both players is what really gets undersold. People judge D Rob's defense on getting torched by Olajuwon, which has merit but totally undermines rim protection and off-ball effect. I'd bet a pretty penny the Spur's defensive philosophy hinged on forcing Olajuwon to carry the scoring load, which he did in incredible fashion. Embiid never got torched like that in the playoffs but it's still incredibly easy and commonplace to disregard his defensive impact because it doesn't show up in the box.

Regardless, my OP argument is strictly about Embiid's supposed inability to win in the playoffs. I contest that's an objectively wrong conclusion (and I don't use the word objectively lightly). He quite literally has been winning on the court, and not just against the bottom feeders. It's like saying a dude can't score in the playoffs while averaging 30ppg... Either people need to choose their words more carefully or there is a fundamental misunderstanding about the data I presented. If we broke even with Jo off the court, we would only have lost... 1 playoff series? Maybe 2? In which case these Embiid loser arguments would be glaringly laughable, despite putting up the exact same performances.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#83 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu May 2, 2024 9:24 pm

realball wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
og15 wrote:Yup, and his issue is injury and conditioning. The solution is actually likely that his scoring volume should go down in the post-season, while the perimeter guys take more load, and he can exert more impact on defense and the glass while not forcing offense.

Easier said than done, especially when the team is used to a certain style in the regular season.

This is for sure the best criticism of playoff Embiid. I don't think we should rely on him in closing situations unless he has a clear 1v1 opportunity. Not only due to conditioning but also in general I think perimeter creation is more reliable and less susceptible to defensive scheme. I'd rather design plays for Maxey who can dump the ball to Jo or Tobi if the defense closes in on him (which I have never seen as long as Embiid is also on the court).

Do you really consider him a true superstar if you can't rely on him in closing situations? Can you imagine Denver fans saying this about Jokic?

In single coverage we would rely on him, but he doesn't have that benefit. Jokic does because his greatest attribute is creating for his teammates, which means better scoring opportunities for himself.

madskillz8
Senior
And1: 754

Post#84 » by madskillz8 » Thu May 2, 2024 9:28 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
VicG wrote:There doesn't need to be a big thread about this.

For the OP, how did Embiid do last year in Game 7?

Actually there does, because Cubbies tried to troll as usual by starting a thread, saying he's not him, and got ratiod into oblivion.

Not sure if you are one of them but couple of posters obsessively started random threads about Embiid's greatness every fricking week in the last two years. It was weird and almost like they were intentionally trying to generate a hate towards Embiid.

And you are now saying this thread is a reaction to Cubbies' thread - which was actually the reactionary one to non-stop "You have to read about Embiid's greatness every day here in the GB until you give up and claim he's the real MVP not Jokic" themed threads.

Sorry to say but you are making 76ers fans look bad... I swear, just reading realgm GB for a month, people can genuinely believe 76ers fans are the worst in sports- which I don't believe that is actually the case.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,843

Post#85 » by cgf » Thu May 2, 2024 9:31 pm

realball wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
og15 wrote:Yup, and his issue is injury and conditioning. The solution is actually likely that his scoring volume should go down in the post-season, while the perimeter guys take more load, and he can exert more impact on defense and the glass while not forcing offense.

Was Shaq? Not saying Joel is Shaq, but you couldn't rely on him to close games for you either.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#86 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu May 2, 2024 9:34 pm

Woodsanity wrote:So great he has lesser team success than Trae Young. :lol:

Lol... Cubbies 2.0

Believe what you want to believe chief, and good luck tonight. It's weird to say about the Knicks but I like too many players on your team to hate on them. After the Sixers I'd probably root for you guys to win over any other team. DiVincenzo is from my home town and hung out with my little sis on a few occasions. Brunson and Hart are easy to love and I've always respected impactful role payers like OG and Hartenstein.

But when it comes to Embiid you're in outer space my friend. Allowing such immense bias to dictate your posts is beneath you.

Cubbies2120
Head Coach
And1: 8,707

Post#87 » by Cubbies2120 » Thu May 2, 2024 9:44 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:

Lol... Cubbies 2.0

Believe what you want to believe chief, and good luck tonight. It's weird to say about the Knicks but I like too many players on your team to hate on them. After the Sixers I'd probably root for you guys to win over any other team. DiVincenzo is from my home town and hung out with my little sis on a few occasions. Brunson and Hart are easy to love and I've always respected impactful role payers like OG and Hartenstein.

But when it comes to Embiid you're in outer space my friend. Allowing such immense bias to dictate your posts is beneath you.

Nice 8-)

Hope you’re doing well even! And id like to think we are more likely to see eye to eye on anything non-Embiid related. :D
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#88 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu May 2, 2024 9:45 pm

lessthanjake wrote:Another reminder that playoff on-off is typically very small-sample-size data and therefore is super noisy.

On-court was the focus here, on-off is just additional evidence of his impact. The sample size is more than adequate.

GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#89 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu May 2, 2024 9:46 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

Lol... Cubbies 2.0

Nice 8-)

Hope you’re doing well even! And id like to think we are more likely to see eye to eye on anything non-Embiid related. :D

If you're ever in Wilmington, DE we can grab a beer sometime :P :beer:

losmi
Junior
And1: 589

Post#90 » by losmi » Thu May 2, 2024 9:47 pm

Embiid's average playoffs are:

1st round win against a trash team the 76ers could beat even without him (no wonder his +/- is high under those circumstances)
2nd round tight loss against a mid team.

You simply cannot compare his averages in anything to players who have had legitimate playoff careers.
firedavidkahn
Senior
And1: 1,085

Post#91 » by firedavidkahn » Thu May 2, 2024 9:59 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:Below I've compiled a list of playoff on-court and on-off stats among volume scorers with large enough sample sizes. I'm not gonna waste too many words on an argument that is so clear in the data. If you're someone (you know who you are) that trashes Embiid's ability to win in the playoffs, you are objectively wrong. The only player with a better net rating (+/- per possession) is Steph Curry, an impact giant with 4 rings and 6 Finals runs. The only player with a better on-off is Luka, who (1) evolves into a demi-God in the playoffs and (2) has a sample of 32 games compared to Embiid's 58.

Spoiler:
Steph Curry: +7.6 / +12.0
Joel Embiid: +6.9 / +18.2
Kyrie Irving: +6.9 / +4.0
Kawhi Leonard: +6.9 / +3.8
LeBron James: +5.8 / +10.1
Jamal Murray: +5.1 / +10.9
Klay Thompson: +5.0 / -1.9
Giannis Antetokounmpo: +4.3 / +8.0
Anthony Davis: +4.2 / +10.3
Khris Middleton: +4.2 / +9.4
Kevin Durant: +4.2 / +2.4
Jayson Tatum: +3.5 / +5.4
Paul George" +2.7 / +11.8
James Harden: +2.6 / +7.2
Jaylen Brown: +1.7 / -4.7
Nikola Jokic: +1.4 / +3.3
Devin Booker: +0.5 / +2.9
Luka Doncic: +0.4 / +20.7
Jimmy Butler: +0.3 / +0.1
Jalen Brunson: -1.4 / -1.9
Bradley Beal: -1.6 / +3.7
Donovan Mitchell: -2.5 / +1.8
Trae Young: -5.0 / -3.3
DeMar DeRozan: -8.4 / -11.0

2 main points the haters seem to be missing/undervaluing:
- Embiid gets trapped by 2-3 players every time he touches the ball, which means his teammates get far better looks
- Defensive impact, in particular rim protection, doesn't get captured in box stats at all

Also worth noting that most of his playoff games have been against top tier defense like the historic '19 Raptors, various Celtic defensive juggernauts, and now a Knicks team that personifies defensive grit and discipline.

The Anti-Embiid arguments remind me so much of what D Rob went through. Common fans are oblivious to impact if it doesn't come in the form of scoring, but at the end of the day winning is the only thing that matters. Even if we get blown out by 50 tomorrow there is too much data in Embiid's favor to override a glaring conclusion: the Sixers win when he's on the court. He doesn't need injuries as an "excuse" for anything.

Embiid is a conference Finals virgin and will stay that way.

Even the Wolves have a conference finals appearance :lol:

HIM can never be a dirty flopper who always fails in the play offs.

Embiid is way too damn skilled to be flopping and playing dirty. He'd still be an MVP candidate if he didn't flop yet he chooses to do it. No one likes watching that brand of basketball
lessthanjake
Sixth Man
And1: 1,392

Post#92 » by lessthanjake » Thu May 2, 2024 10:00 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
lessthanjake wrote:Another reminder that playoff on-off is typically very small-sample-size data and therefore is super noisy.

On-court was the focus here, on-off is just additional evidence of his impact. The sample size is more than adequate.

I think if on-court is the focus, then you’d really need to adjust things for strength of schedule. Not getting past the second round means that the average strength of Embiid’s playoff opponents has not been very high (though he has played some good teams too), which obviously makes it easier to have a higher ON value. The average SRS of Embiid’s playoff opponents has only been like 2.75. For reference, to take Kyrie Irving as an example (just because he’s listed in the OP as having the same ON value as Embiid), the average SRS of Kyrie’s playoff opponents has been 4.44.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,671

Post#93 » by tsherkin » Thu May 2, 2024 10:01 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Here's the thing, I don't promote/defend the scoring production of either Embiid or D Rob in the playoffs. It is clear their efficiency drops for a variety of reasons, some of which you reference. The biggest reason is defensive scheme which gets ignored all too often in these discussions. He could shoot 10% from the field but if he constantly generates open looks for his teammates then the value is still there.

Some value, sure. Like, with D Rob and Embiid both, they continue to draw fouls and move the ball and whatever, so they aren't totally useless. There is, however, a considerable drop in the level of play they produce on that end of the floor where it takes them out of that first tier of relevance. The defense is still there, but their total impact steps down a tier or two.

More than that though, the defensive impact of both players is what really gets undersold. People judge D Rob's defense on getting torched by Olajuwon, which has merit but totally undermines rim protection and off-ball effect.

I mean, it was a total destruction of him individually, sure. Robinson was still helpful in a team context, he was just getting savaged by Olajuwon individually... and wasn't the only one.

I'd bet a pretty penny the Spur's defensive philosophy hinged on forcing Olajuwon to carry the scoring load,

Which would be odd, since that was Houston's MO the whole year and their MO the year before en route to their first title.

Regardless, my OP argument is strictly about Embiid's supposed inability to win in the playoffs. I contest that's an objectively wrong conclusion (and I don't use the word objectively lightly). He quite literally has been winning on the court, and not just against the bottom feeders.

Sure, but that escapes the point, right? He's an impact player when he's on the court, but he has issues staying on the court, and he has issues with health basically every season which limit his overall impact come the playoffs. At some point, that is just the trend, and it becomes a scenario where healthy-ish Embiid in the playoffs is just a fantasy, not an actual thing one can expect. And that means his reliability for potential title runs is limited, which lines up pretty well with his typical criticisms.

So, beyond that. Absolutely, any star needs his guys to step up around him. That's a given. That's how the 94 Rockets won, for example, a bunch of nobodies stepping up around Olajuwon, very much like the 2011 Mavs (though Dallas did it more with old vets than with young n00bs the way the Rockets did, Otis Thorpe notwithstanding).

But still, there's a fairly consequential drop-off in Embiid's play, which doesn't give his teammates time or opportunity in the same fashion as some of the other, better star players in league history. That's sort of the issue, whether it be from stress reaction or health or whichever explanation one wishes to tag onto the result. I suspect it's a mix of several different things, but health is certainly a prominent factor which cannot be ignored. Health and stamina.

I have been on either side of this debate because I agree that people don't always paint Embiid in a clear light as far as his reputation and what he does, of course. There are some specific series where he missed games due to injury and came back and just wasn't the same and people tend to want to act as if those are heathy Embiid. It's better, IMHO, to acknowledge that things might have been different were he healthy... but also that he rarely is. That's a major, crippling issue for him come the playoffs on a regular basis, and it limits both his performance the forgiveness his teammates have in terms of their ability to have an off-night or what have you. What that means is that there's some limitation to the ceiling one can apply to anything but hypothetically-healthy Embiid.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,960

Post#94 » by Larry_Russell » Thu May 2, 2024 10:02 pm

Embiid is fantastic.

But after all this time in the league I still feel he values himself more than winning. And that isban exhausting formula that gets beaten in the playoffs.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,266

Post#95 » by azcatz11 » Thu May 2, 2024 10:04 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Lol... Cubbies 2.0

Nice 8-)

I will join but Shirley temple for me
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#96 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu May 2, 2024 10:07 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:
Nice 8-)

I will join but Shirley temple for me

azcatz is always welcome

WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 355

Post#97 » by WentzerWuver » Thu May 2, 2024 10:16 pm

NZB2323 wrote:HIM doesn’t throw teammates under the bus.

We all know who HIM is right now and it isn’t Embiid.
Another employee number 25 lover or is this 25 himself still upset on being toss under the bus for not doing something he does with ease during the game but decide to pass up the easiest one in history to avoid winning their biggest game in his career?

https://youtu.be/-EHA4UhYuQY?si=DlM6eqkxDD0XqZeL

https://youtube.com/shorts/YCbsP12CJls?si=82agVDfACropWajs

You need to be banned for even bringing that up against Joel.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#98 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu May 2, 2024 10:33 pm

tsherkin wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

Some value, sure. Like, with D Rob and Embiid both, they continue to draw fouls and move the ball and whatever, so they aren't totally useless. There is, however, a considerable drop in the level of play they produce on that end of the floor where it takes them out of that first tier of relevance. The defense is still there, but their total impact steps down a tier or two.

More than that though, the defensive impact of both players is what really gets undersold. People judge D Rob's defense on getting torched by Olajuwon, which has merit but totally undermines rim protection and off-ball effect.

I mean, it was a total destruction of him individually, sure. Robinson was still helpful in a team context, he was just getting savaged by Olajuwon individually... and wasn't the only one.

I'd bet a pretty penny the Spur's defensive philosophy hinged on forcing Olajuwon to carry the scoring load,

Which would be odd, since that was Houston's MO the whole year and their MO the year before en route to their first title.

Regardless, my OP argument is strictly about Embiid's supposed inability to win in the playoffs. I contest that's an objectively wrong conclusion (and I don't use the word objectively lightly). He quite literally has been winning on the court, and not just against the bottom feeders.

Sure, but that escapes the point, right? He's an impact player when he's on the court, but he has issues staying on the court, and he has issues with health basically every season which limit his overall impact come the playoffs. At some point, that is just the trend, and it becomes a scenario where healthy-ish Embiid in the playoffs is just a fantasy, not an actual thing one can expect. And that means his reliability for potential title runs is limited, which lines up pretty well with his typical criticisms.

So, beyond that. Absolutely, any star needs his guys to step up around him. That's a given. That's how the 94 Rockets won, for example, a bunch of nobodies stepping up around Olajuwon, very much like the 2011 Mavs (though Dallas did it more with old vets than with young n00bs the way the Rockets did, Otis Thorpe notwithstanding).

But still, there's a fairly consequential drop-off in Embiid's play, which doesn't give his teammates time or opportunity in the same fashion as some of the other, better star players in league history. That's sort of the issue, whether it be from stress reaction or health or whichever explanation one wishes to tag onto the result. I suspect it's a mix of several different things, but health is certainly a prominent factor which cannot be ignored. Health and stamina.

I have been on either side of this debate because I agree that people don't always paint Embiid in a clear light as far as his reputation and what he does, of course. There are some specific series where he missed games due to injury and came back and just wasn't the same and people tend to want to act as if those are heathy Embiid. It's better, IMHO, to acknowledge that things might have been different were he healthy... but also that he rarely is. That's a major, crippling issue for him come the playoffs on a regular basis, and it limits both his performance the forgiveness his teammates have in terms of their ability to have an off-night or what have you. What that means is that there's some limitation to the ceiling one can apply to anything but hypothetically-healthy Embiid.

I appreciate your thoughtfulness and wish I could give a lengthier reply, but at this point I'll say I think the disconnect lies in our respective philosophies on the weight of impact data vs raw production. That's a discussion I'm always happy to entertain- maybe a little too happy- but I'm a HS teacher relentlessly behind in both grading and lesson planning. So I need to wait another month before I have that kind of fun :sigh:

tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,671

Post#99 » by tsherkin » Thu May 2, 2024 10:37 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:I appreciate your thoughtfulness and wish I could give a lengthier reply, but at this point I'll say I think the disconnect lies in our respective philosophies on the weight of impact data vs raw production. That's a discussion I'm always happy to entertain- maybe a little too happy- but I'm a HS teacher relentlessly behind in both grading and lesson planning. So I need to wait another month before I have that kind of fun :sigh:

I look forward to the opportunity.

I think that, as others have alluded to already, the raw data needs to be looked at in a more context/sample-sensitive fashion. It's quite a noisy sample, so that'll likely be the focus, especially if the aim is to paint Embiid (even in injured form) as "HIM," so goes the thread title.

But I bet we'll have a good time doing it, whether or not we agree. Should be fun :)
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,462

Post#100 » by og15 » Thu May 2, 2024 11:54 pm

realball wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

If the player can give you great defense and very good offense, that's still superstar impact. I mean look at a guy like KG, his scoring acumen wasn't particularly great, and his playoff scoring was not at the level of other first option guys, but he had superstar impact due to his overall game.

Return to The General Board