Last years Nuggets a fluke or have the Wolves gotten that much better?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,131

Re: Last years Nuggets a fluke or have the Wolves gotten that much better? 

Post#101 » by Mr B » Tue May 7, 2024 2:31 pm

uncleduck13 wrote:Y’all tell me. I can’t believe what’s happening

What does last year have to do with this year? The Nuggets were clearly the best team last year. This year they’re just not quite as good. Both can be true.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,937

Post#102 » by Jadoogar » Tue May 7, 2024 2:34 pm

Wolves have gotten a lot better and Nuggets are playing worse. I don't think you can call last year a fluke because the Nuggets dominated every team they played.
For the timberwolves, they have a full season of KAT/Gobert playing together and Anthony Edwards making the superstar leap (plus mcdaniels is playing).
mastermixer
Starter
And1: 3,006

Post#103 » by mastermixer » Tue May 7, 2024 2:42 pm

I think the wolves just match up really well against the nuggets.

They are pretty much the only team that has the size and the length to have a constant defensive big on Jokic and still keep up with the rest of the team.

The problem for the wolves is I don’t think they match up well against the Celtics if that’s who they end up facing in the finals.

It is pretty funny that this wolves team is looking really good and might make its best playoff run in franchise history in the same year there’s a huge controversy about selling the team.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,868

Post#104 » by Marrrcuss » Tue May 7, 2024 2:45 pm

I just dont get you new fans who watch a team win 4 best of 7 playoff series and label it a fluke.

Maybe i shouldnt have said "watch" though :nonono:
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,430

Post#105 » by djsunyc » Tue May 7, 2024 2:51 pm

i think the nba has changed so much so quickly the last few years that any team can win it all. there's no flukes or dynasties anymore. both on court and off court rules have changed so this is all new and folks still have what is now antiquated preconceived notions of what should be happening and are basing all reactions on that.

this is all new stuff now.
Kobe187
Starter
And1: 1,910

Post#106 » by Kobe187 » Tue May 7, 2024 2:53 pm

The Nuggets are an excellent team, practically sweeped the Lakers. The Wolves are unbelievable right now, Edwards is arguably the best player in the NBA. Great defence with 2 bigs on the floor at all times between Towns, Gobert, Reed. Great scoring versatility with 7 players averaging double digits in points in Edwards, Towns, Walker, Reed, Gobert, Connolly, McDaniels. Seems like it’s the Timberwolves year, they’re going to be hard to beat.
Tottery
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,399

Post#107 » by Tottery » Tue May 7, 2024 3:02 pm

Not a fluke, but the Nuggets got worse and Wolves got better.

Nuggets lost a couple of good players and did nothing to replace them.

Wolves added a couple of solid players and had more time to grow together.

If the Wolves play defense like they did last night every single playoff game going forward, they'll win the chip.
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,224

Post#108 » by dolphinatik » Tue May 7, 2024 3:11 pm

Wolves got better, ant got better. Team USA really helped him
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,575

Post#109 » by GrandTheftRondo » Tue May 7, 2024 3:15 pm

thinktank wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
thinktank wrote:
Woooosh. You’ve TOTALLY missed the point about the Wolves:

Wolves were VIBING at the end of the regular season last year.

But Naz broke his hand and McDaniels did too. Missed the playoffs.

THAT’S WHAT’S DIFFERENT!!!

You’re not even a Wolves fan so don’t pretend like you know when you clearly do not.

I know what happened last season.

I’m just saying the Wolves have improved significantly from last season.

The Nuggets aren’t the same team as last season.

The Wolves are a year older and have gotten better which is why they were much better over the entire regular season.

I don’t think the Nuggets improved at all this season which is why I was always skeptical when people were acting like it’s a given that they’d just waltz to the finals. They’ve never been vastly superior to the rest of the league like a KD Warriors or something like that and can just coast and show up when it matters. They’ve stagnated while the rest of the league has gone forward so always going to be tough for them to get out of the West.

“The wolves are a year old and have gotten better.”

That is the most generalized and non-value statement possible. Great analysis. ;)

Last year:

-Towns missed 50 games
-No Naz Reid and no Jaden McDaniels in the playoffs

If the Wolves were HEALTHY we probably would’ve done last playoffs what we’re doing this playoffs.

No significant changes to our team besides HEALTH.

You simply can’t grasp that.

You can play your what if games to try **** on the Nuggets I don’t care.

My point is the Wolves are a better and different team to last year. Going back and saying oh if only we were healthy blah blah last year is useless.

I’m aware the Wolves are healthier this year. They had more time on the court together and developed into a much more in sync and stronger team.

The Nuggets haven’t really improved and lost two bench guys including one key one in Bruce Brown.

Who cares about last season and it’s pathetic trying to **** on Denver by playing what if games.

Fans could do that with every season their team plays. It serves no purpose.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,980

Post#110 » by thinktank » Tue May 7, 2024 3:17 pm

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
thinktank wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:I know what happened last season.

I’m just saying the Wolves have improved significantly from last season.

The Nuggets aren’t the same team as last season.

The Wolves are a year older and have gotten better which is why they were much better over the entire regular season.

I don’t think the Nuggets improved at all this season which is why I was always skeptical when people were acting like it’s a given that they’d just waltz to the finals. They’ve never been vastly superior to the rest of the league like a KD Warriors or something like that and can just coast and show up when it matters. They’ve stagnated while the rest of the league has gone forward so always going to be tough for them to get out of the West.

That is the most generalized and non-value statement possible. Great analysis. ;)

Last year:

-Towns missed 50 games

If the Wolves were HEALTHY we probably would’ve done last playoffs what we’re doing this playoffs.

My point is the Wolves are a better and different team to last year. Going back and saying oh if only we were healthy blah blah last year is useless.

I’m aware the Wolves are healthier this year. They had more time on the court together and developed into a much more in sync team.

Who cares about last season and it’s pathetic trying to **** on Denver by playing what if games.

This thread is about exactly what you say people don’t care about. And you’re in here posting in it, so you care.

The main reason the Wolves have gotten better is HEALTH.

Other than that, it’s the same team, my friend.
“Tatum is garbage.” “Tatum is literally dogcrap.” -The Corey’s
Meeksology
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,661

Post#111 » by Meeksology » Tue May 7, 2024 3:17 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:Fluke. Murray had a historic run he's never going to repeat. I don't see this iteration of the Nuggets winning another title.

Having said that, Ant has also gotten better as a player, elevating the Wolves to contender status.

Cmon man. This is getting annoying. Calling their championship season a fluke is like those haters calling the Raps championship a fluke. And of course, both statements are incorrect.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,575

Post#112 » by GrandTheftRondo » Tue May 7, 2024 3:20 pm

thinktank wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
thinktank wrote:

Last year:

-Towns missed 50 games

I’m aware the Wolves are healthier this year. They had more time on the court together and developed into a much more in sync team.

This thread is about exactly what you say people don’t care about. And you’re in here posting in it, so you care.

Gobert wasn’t as good last season.

Ant is a young guy, more mature this season even if his counting stats in the regular season didn’t change dramatically.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,785

Post#113 » by Roger Murdock » Tue May 7, 2024 3:21 pm

14 teams had a better record than last years T-wolves (and Pelicans had the same record)

This year 3 teams have a better record than the Wolves, and two of them only had 1 more win.

They won 14 more games. You tell me.
TheFire
Senior
And1: 1,041

Post#114 » by TheFire » Tue May 7, 2024 3:25 pm

Beethoven wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:
Beethoven wrote:No. Don't want that dude

Ok Murray :)

No likey either of those ugly mofos

Let's see your good looks then.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,980

Post#115 » by thinktank » Tue May 7, 2024 3:25 pm

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
thinktank wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:You can play your what if games to try **** on the Nuggets I don’t care.

Gobert wasn’t as good last season.

Ant is a young guy, more mature this season even if his counting stats in the regular season didn’t change dramatically.

Gobert wasn’t healthy last year.

You refuse to listen. Oh well. Wolves could’ve easily beaten Denver last year if we were healthy. You’ll never admit it.

But, we’re seeing what we look like healthy now aren’t we? Yessir. 8-)
“Tatum is garbage.” “Tatum is literally dogcrap.” -The Corey’s
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,861

Post#116 » by cgf » Tue May 7, 2024 3:27 pm

All of the above. Nuggets aren't as good as last year; Murray's banged up, less hungry, less rested, less depth. Their path last season wasn't super hard...but them stomping everyone was still super impressive. Minnesota built a monster.

...and the series isn't over yet. Though it looks that way atm.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,384

Post#117 » by hardenASG13 » Tue May 7, 2024 3:29 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:I just dont get you new fans who watch a team win 4 best of 7 playoff series and label it a fluke.

Maybe i shouldnt have said "watch" though :nonono:

It's because nobody Denver played last year was as good as this years Minnesota. And that really not saying much in Denvers favor, as Minnesota is making their first second round appearance. It was a fluke in that their list of opponents was historically easy last year, which is absolutely a fluke when comparing it to paths of almost every NBA champion before them. I watched and wasn't too impressed last year. Some here were VERY impressed, and claimed Jokic is the best player we've ever seen, repeatedly. Nothing I watched last year made me think that or anything close to it, which is why I argued against it all season. Now others are seeing it, finally. I questioned him as a leader, how he'd look vs. legit competition, and his ability to raise his game and energy in those scenarios when needed, which are inevitable and what we're seeing right now. And right now, he's failing in comical fashion at his first real test these past 2 years, where hes been anointed the GOAT for beating a fluky, easy path.

As I've said all year, numerous teams since 2000 who didn't win a title would've rolled the path Denver had last year too. It was really easy. KD and Westbrook beating the 2016 spurs for example, is more impressive than anything Jokic has done (those spurs where light years better than any team Denver beat last year). Posters here have just ignored the context of his title for the last year because they love his advanced metrics and lack the ability to see his weaknesses when watching games. It's all coming out now, his I don't care attitude was cute against 4 sub par teams in terms of being legit contenders. Lets see him lead them back like a GOAT level player, or at least go out swinging.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,800

Post#118 » by Upperclass » Tue May 7, 2024 3:30 pm

The Wolves are a big team and are being allowed to tackle, hold, climb, hit etc on every shot on the Nuggets side of the floor.. Den cant win with that type of leeway
Meeksology
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,661

Post#119 » by Meeksology » Tue May 7, 2024 3:32 pm

hauntedcomputer wrote:Mr. Humble Jokic is far to humble to remain the best player in the world. He is ready to be rid of all the attention he gets for hating attention. He wants to lose so he can go home and drink potato Schnapps on his horse cart.

"Superstar" Murray's greatest career accolade besides a ring is being second-team all-rookie and now he will be the Towel-Thrower.

Poor MPJ has had a tough time with his felonious murdering family so it's no wonder he can't step up.

We were one "Aaron Gordon's pit bull mauled a child" away from the most depraved "Champ Overcoming Adversity" 30 for 30 ever.

You couldve easily just typed "I dont like the nuggets" and you wouldve got the same point across without using so many words
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,397

Post#120 » by Gusto1903 » Tue May 7, 2024 3:36 pm

Wolves got better obviously + healthy. And they were Denvers biggest challenge in the playoffst last season already, so yeah. While the domination is surprising, Wolves winning 2 games isnt that big of a surprise to me, as one might think
On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020

Return to The General Board