Are the Pacers not getting fair treatment from refs?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,834

Re: Are the Pacers not getting fair treatment from refs? 

Post#41 » by Celts17Pride » Thu May 9, 2024 2:10 pm

Of course the Pacers are not getting fair treatment from the refs but that's what happens for almost every playoff team on the road. Let's see what the calls are in Indiana. Have a feeling a ton of New York fans will be complaining about games 3-4.

Bottom line in my opinion, the more aggressive team gets the calls. New York has been the most aggressive team in the first two games.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,389

Post#42 » by Scalabrine » Thu May 9, 2024 2:17 pm

Mrakar wrote:
Nykbacker wrote:Rick Carlisle is submitting a formal complaint to the league office.

Not sure his argument when his team is missing free throws and allowing the opposition to shoot 57% from the field.

It is easy to blame this on Indy, on free throws on defense. Most popular answer is always something like that.
But, not having a fair fighting ground should be talked about more, then those missed FTs or defense wouldnt be as talked about as they are now. Series should at least be 1-1.
Knicks benifited from officiating change after all-star break allowing them to play more physical, but that is not the only reason. Those calls in the last minute of first game clearly and i mean CLEARLY decided the game. I feel for Indy but it is what it is.

P.S. i like the Knicks, i like the teams who go for it and give 120% and i want them to go to ECF but we have to be objective here...

I think that that moving screen call was lame and shouldn't have been called in the first place. It technically was a moving screen, but they rarely call it. However, they did call a very similar moving screen on Divincenzo earlier in the half. Additionally, it's not like the Pacers were winning when that call was made. They were down 1 and still had to score the ball to go ahead and then get a stop. To say they "CLEARLY" would have won that game is a little egregious.

I'm always gonna be in the camp of I'd rather let the players decide the game and I definitely like a more physical brand of basketball, but, as long as the refs are consistent in what they are calling and don't just change it up because it's the end of the game, I'm okay with it.
Go Knicks!
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#43 » by Scalabrine » Thu May 9, 2024 2:47 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:Of course the Pacers are not getting fair treatment from the refs but that's what happens for almost every playoff team on the road. Let's see what the calls are in Indiana. Have a feeling a ton of New York fans will be complaining about games 3-4.

Bottom line in my opinion, is the more aggressive team gets the calls. New York has been the most aggressive team in the first two games.

For real!

I don't think it's a good look for Carlisle to be publicly complaining about this. Focus on what you can do to help. Making excuses and blaming others isn't gonna do anything positive.
Go Knicks!
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,895

Post#44 » by bebopdeluxe » Thu May 9, 2024 2:56 pm

Nuntius wrote:In game 2, yes. In game 1, well, there were entire threads dedicated to that.

As for Carlisle submitting a formal complaint, part of a coach's job is to work the refs. That is exactly what this is all about. Carlisle wants the refs to know that they gave the Knicks a favorable whistle in MSG and wants them to give us a similarly favorable whistle in Indy. That's all.

Good luck, Rick. That didn't work with the Sixers. DDV mugged Maxey ALL GAME in Game 6, and had ONE personal foul.

Meanwhile, Brunson did his best Trae Young "stop and have the defender run into my back" imitation and got ALL the calls.

The fix is in.
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#45 » by Celts17Pride » Thu May 9, 2024 3:03 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Of course the Pacers are not getting fair treatment from the refs but that's what happens for almost every playoff team on the road. Let's see what the calls are in Indiana. Have a feeling a ton of New York fans will be complaining about games 3-4.

Bottom line in my opinion, is the more aggressive team gets the calls. New York has been the most aggressive team in the first two games.

For real!

I don't think it's a good look for Carlisle to be publicly complaining about this. Focus on what you can do to help. Making excuses and blaming others isn't gonna do anything positive.

Carlisle is just doing this so he gets more calls in Game 3. He probably will.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 45,180

Post#46 » by DaGawd » Thu May 9, 2024 3:04 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:
Nuntius wrote:In game 2, yes. In game 1, well, there were entire threads dedicated to that.

As for Carlisle submitting a formal complaint, part of a coach's job is to work the refs. That is exactly what this is all about. Carlisle wants the refs to know that they gave the Knicks a favorable whistle in MSG and wants them to give us a similarly favorable whistle in Indy. That's all.

Good luck, Rick. That didn't work with the Sixers. DDV mugged Maxey ALL GAME in Game 6, and had ONE personal foul.

Meanwhile, Brunson did his best Trae Young "stop and have the defender run into my back" imitation and got ALL the calls.

The fix is in.

just be happy embiid was once again far away the leading player in fts attempted..
BaF
Washington Wizards
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#47 » by Celts17Pride » Thu May 9, 2024 3:04 pm

Scalabrine wrote:

For real!

You don't expect to get calls on the road in the playoffs. You have to be a tough enough team to power through the call discrepancies. The Pacers were not tough enough in Games 1-2.
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#48 » by Scalabrine » Thu May 9, 2024 3:11 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:

For real!

You don't expect to get calls on the road in the playoffs. You have to be a tough enough team to power through the call discrepancies. The Pacers were not tough enough in Games 1-2.

Absolutely agree. They shouldn't have lost last night (Game 2). Brunson missed 15 minutes and then was clearly hobbled the rest of the way but he powered through and didn't make excuses. It seemed like the Pacers took their foot off the gas in the 3rd quarter and the Knicks got back into it quickly.

I don't think it's farfetched to imagine that Carlisle and crew complaining to the refs about every call perhaps shifted focus away from the task at hand and got his players doubting themselves, getting in their own heads, and making excuses of their own.
Go Knicks!
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#49 » by Scalabrine » Thu May 9, 2024 3:14 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:

The fix is in.

Were you not watching Joel Embiid flopping and drawing fouls and getting calls all series long? The Sixers were all over Brunson all series too!

If you really believe that this league is fixed then what are you doing watching? What are you doing on a message board talking about it? Whats the point???
Go Knicks!
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,061

Post#50 » by Capn'O » Thu May 9, 2024 3:37 pm

This is a particularly awkward accusation, not only because of the other small market teams succeeding, but because in our last playoff meeting the Pacers were awarded 28 more free throws than the Knicks in a closeout game.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201305180IND.html

Alas, the bygone days of David Stern.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,686

Post#51 » by jkvonny » Thu May 9, 2024 4:41 pm

Dangit wrote:I think that the nba has had a few questionable moments , is it out of the realm of possibility that the nba wants a large market to stay in the game a bit longer.... it's probably not likely that this is happening ... but I did witness THAT kings vs lakers series... so maybe Rick Carlisle calling attention to this isn't such a bad move .

Everyone (from that era) remembers that 2002 WCF. Kings were screwed over.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,865

Post#52 » by cgf » Thu May 9, 2024 4:45 pm

Nuntius wrote:
blueNorange wrote:i will always love other fan bases complaining how physical the knicks are

your team is just soft

Which fan base is complaining about New York's physicality exactly? Because it definitely isn't Indiana's fan base complaining about the physicality. Not on RealGM, at least.

Mostly Philly's, but Brooklyn's "fanbase" has yapped about it too :P
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,575

Post#53 » by CoP » Thu May 9, 2024 4:46 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:

The fix is in.

The Sixers had more FTAs in the series than the Knicks, just like they had more FTAs in the regular season than the Knicks. Most neutrals would say that the officiating was fair, although IMO they called way too many fouls both ways.

Conspiracy theory denied.
vulture
Head Coach
And1: 5,379

Post#54 » by vulture » Thu May 9, 2024 4:46 pm

They gave up 130 points to an injured team with guys playing 48 mins. The answer is no.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,865

Post#55 » by cgf » Thu May 9, 2024 4:55 pm

CoP wrote:
bebopdeluxe wrote:

The fix is in.

The Sixers had more FTAs in the series than the Knicks, just like they had more FTAs in the regular season than the Knicks. Most neutrals would say that the officiating was fair, although IMO they called way too many fouls both ways.

Conspiracy theory denied.

That just proves the fix was in. Obvious false flag.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
SweaterBae
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,153

Post#56 » by SweaterBae » Thu May 9, 2024 4:56 pm

Nykbacker wrote:

Not sure his argument when his team is missing free throws and allowing the opposition to shoot 57% from the field.

What does one have to do with the other?
WeLikeOurGuys
General Manager
And1: 7,324

Post#57 » by WeLikeOurGuys » Thu May 9, 2024 4:56 pm

Game 1 had some questionable fouls, but game 2 they were outplayed.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,521

Post#58 » by blueNorange » Thu May 9, 2024 4:58 pm

WeLikeOurGuys wrote:Game 1 had some questionable fouls, but game 2 they were outplayed.

49 calls is not only absurd, but i don't even think the league would even review it because it's so comical.

just re-watch the entire game.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
AbeVigodaLive
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,494

Post#59 » by AbeVigodaLive » Thu May 9, 2024 5:05 pm

blueNorange wrote:
jowglenn wrote:
blueNorange wrote:also again the pacers aren’t down 0-2 because of the refs

its because they don’t play defense whatsoever and haliburton has only showed up for one half so far

It's at least partly because of the refs. Yes, sure "don't put yourself in a position where a few bad calls by refs decide the game" I know I know. But that game 1 was just brutal. Pacers strip the ball from Brunson, about to fast break - foul call! Sure they overturned it on challenge but it stopped the Pacers momentum. Nesmith deflects the ball, Pacers about the fast break - kick ball! Sorry you can't challenge this blatantly incorrect call. Should be Pacers fast break, instead it's a Knicks 3. No worries, Pacers still in position to have a chance to win, big final possession... moving screen on Turner that yes, technically is a moving screen but just isn't called like that during most games - like getting a speeding ticket for going 51 in a 50 zone.

sorry, if you allow 121 and 130 points you don’t deserve to win

play defense, get a stop

To be fair... what is the magic number that deserves a win?

117?
121? Oops. Nope. We've already decided that's too much.
WeLikeOurGuys
General Manager
And1: 7,324

Post#60 » by WeLikeOurGuys » Thu May 9, 2024 5:11 pm

blueNorange wrote:
WeLikeOurGuys wrote:Game 1 had some questionable fouls, but game 2 they were outplayed.

49 calls is not only absurd, but i don't even think the league would even review it because it's so comical.

just re-watch the entire game.

I thought they missed some calls towards the end of game 1, but this is why you don't leave it up to the refs.
Carlisle also isn't doing himself any favors by constantly bitching at the refs.

Return to The General Board