NBA on verge of leaving TNT, signing with NBC

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager
And1: 3,789

Re: NBA on verge of leaving TNT, signing with NBC 

Post#61 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Thu May 9, 2024 6:39 pm

I am curious - because I haven't seen much about it yet - about what happens to NBATV if WBD/Turner loses the NBA. The NBA owns NBATV, but Turner has been running it for what feels like decades. All of the on-air talent on NBA TV is Turner people. Will Turner still run it? Or will the NBA hand those reigns over to NBC or Amazon? Will NBATV still air playoff games?
Tottery
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,407

Post#62 » by Tottery » Thu May 9, 2024 6:41 pm

Totally agree ESPN should have been the ones cut out. NBC/TNT/Amazon would have been enough.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,157

Post#63 » by UcanUwill » Thu May 9, 2024 6:43 pm

Anticon wrote:
Hes_On_Fire wrote:A few things -

ESPN is absolute hot garbage.

Their presentation and their personnel is awful. I hate watching games on their network.

Should have replaced ESPN with NBC and kept TNT, who does a great job with their coverage.

I still hope the Inside guys can reunite on Amazon or NBC if this indeed happens. We can't lose Inside in this fashion. We need them back.

What I've never gotten is how ESPN just consistently produces unwatchable game coverage. Just cartoonish and over the top no matter who is involved.

People WATCH it, thats why. I remember thinking trying out that NBA LIVE garbage game they brought back and cancelled right after, but they had SAS in a game as half time show, and F it, I dont care if I can turn that crap off in the settings, I didn't buy it on principle 8-) :lol:
SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,810

Post#64 » by SkyHook » Thu May 9, 2024 6:44 pm

NBC

1. Keep Ernie
2. Keep Chuck
3. Keep the behind the cameras staff
4. Forget that Shaq and Kenny exist
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#65 » by UcanUwill » Thu May 9, 2024 6:46 pm

SkyHook wrote:NBC

1. Keep Ernie
2. Keep Chuck

Inside is not offensive to me, the way ESPN is, but I still do not like it honestly. I used to like it, but it just got old so fast. Really do not understand why people like it so much. Yes, I woukd rather just have a theme music back.
KGDirkTD_Fan
Senior
And1: 558

Post#66 » by KGDirkTD_Fan » Thu May 9, 2024 6:47 pm

Doesn't Ernie have some 30+ year history with TNT? Not sure if he's going to leave TNT go continue inside the NBA with another network. Whatever that show becomes could be a very sad version without him.
SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,810

Post#67 » by SkyHook » Thu May 9, 2024 6:48 pm

UcanUwill wrote:

1. Keep Ernie
2. Keep Chuck

Inside is not offensive to me, the wsy ESPN is, but I still do not like it honestly. I used to like it, but it just got old so fast. Really do not understand why people like it so much.

I'm an Ernie fan from way back when.
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
TMac Culloch
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#68 » by TMac Culloch » Thu May 9, 2024 6:51 pm

I see people with memories know NBC did used to have the best NBA coverage. But twenty years later at the risk of TNT i don't like

Take ABC for godsake they act like they don't even want it how few games they prioritize and giving the coverage over to their sister network
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#69 » by UcanUwill » Thu May 9, 2024 6:55 pm

SkyHook wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

1. Keep Ernie
2. Keep Chuck

Inside is not offensive to me, the wsy ESPN is, but I still do not like it honestly. I used to like it, but it just got old so fast. Really do not understand why people like it so much.

I'm an Ernie fan from way back when.

Ernie is great, but they all just fooling around. I am not a party person, so maybe thats why, but fooling around was entertaining the first few times I watched it, but novelty wears off very quick for me.

Sometimes Jet would run to that massive screen and actually show some plays of smth, and I will think - well, at least that was something.

I dont want everything to be nerdy x and o, I want some fun, but come on, these peole aren't really doing or saying anything. I appreciate they aren't sell out self caricatures like ESPN literal clowns, but thats the lowest bar imaginable.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,744

Post#70 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Thu May 9, 2024 6:56 pm

KGDirkTD_Fan wrote:Doesn't Ernie have some 30+ year history with TNT? Not sure if he's going to leave TNT go continue inside the NBA with another network. Whatever that show becomes could be a very sad version without him.

He has been doing it FOREVER. I remember when it was the Reebok half time show and he was the only person.
*Insert witty signature here.*
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,297

Post#71 » by KembaWalker » Thu May 9, 2024 6:59 pm

Says a lot that these networks with their huge broadcasting investments can’t find people that bring more value to the viewer than a catchy jingle that Tesh probably wrote in 2 minutes on the toilet
KGDirkTD_Fan
Senior
And1: 558

Post#72 » by KGDirkTD_Fan » Thu May 9, 2024 7:32 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
KGDirkTD_Fan wrote:Doesn't Ernie have some 30+ year history with TNT? Not sure if he's going to leave TNT go continue inside the NBA with another network. Whatever that show becomes could be a very sad version without him.

He has been doing it FOREVER. I remember when it was the Reebok half time show and he was the only person.

Yeah he has. I sometimes see those old interview videos from the 90s on YT where Ernie was interviewing Barkley right before he left the Sixers.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,261

Post#73 » by Edrees » Thu May 9, 2024 7:43 pm

They should just bring EJ Kenny, and Barkley all over to do the pre , halftime and post game shows. How sad if it goes. The NBC coverage used to be great, but guess what, none of those people are still going to be around anymore they might have retired or moved somewhere else; it'll all be new hands. At least bring back the john tesh theme song though that'll be a nice nostalgic touch.
gb42106
Ballboy
And1: 24

Post#74 » by gb42106 » Thu May 9, 2024 7:46 pm

Fox Sports plays Roundball Rock with their college basketball games.
It always makes me smile when it comes on.
Mamba81p
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,236

Post#75 » by Mamba81p » Thu May 9, 2024 7:46 pm

This is a surprising report because:
1. It appears WBD didn't have a match clause in their agreement. Somebody dropped the ball, because they didn't see this offer coming from NBC
2. Silver wants to get rid of WBD. I don't know if he is pissed at zaslav or he just wants the broadcast network.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,702

Post#76 » by JayMKE » Thu May 9, 2024 7:54 pm

Like others Im disappointed the league isnt moving away from espn/disney
FREE GIANNIS
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,248

Post#77 » by NYPiston » Thu May 9, 2024 8:03 pm

shza wrote:Agree with all the comments about Inside — though it would not surprise me if NBC bought the show or at least the guys.

Hopefully they do NOT bring over Ian Eagle — I have never been as bothered by a commentator’s voice/vowel pronunciation as I am by him.

I gotta disagree with you on this one. Ian Eagle is one of the best out there, he's sort of a Kevin Harlan type that can make anything sound exciting.,
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,346

Post#78 » by kodo » Thu May 9, 2024 8:05 pm

If TNT loses the NBA, there's almost no chance the TNT crew stays together.
https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Articles/2024/05/02/ernie-johnson-turner-nba-media-rights

- Ernie is going to stay with TNT no matter what.
"But the sources said Johnson -- who has been the lead studio host for "Inside the NBA" for 35 years -- "would stay with Turner" and likely continue his role as lead studio host for the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament, as well as do MLB play-by-play. Johnson did not respond to an interview request Thursday but sources said the reason he is staying at WBD is mostly loyalty. "He is Turner Sports. Period," a source said."

- Barkley will leave, and ESPN in interested.
"Barkley told ESPN Cleveland on Tuesday that he has an opt-out in his contract, in case the NBA chooses ESPN, Amazon and NBCUniversal ahead of WBD."
"ESPN has long been intrigued by Barkley, and its Chair Jimmy Pitaro has been open about trying to replicate "Inside the NBA."

- Shaq might just not cover the NBA in general and focus on his companies.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,646

Post#79 » by reload141 » Thu May 9, 2024 8:07 pm

KembaWalker wrote:Says a lot that these networks with their huge broadcasting investments can’t find people that bring more value to the viewer than a catchy jingle that Tesh probably wrote in 2 minutes on the toilet

I’ve been humming the Tesh jingle at the gym this morning on repeat.

Can’t. Wait.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 17,087

Post#80 » by Shock Defeat » Thu May 9, 2024 8:07 pm

If I am Fox Sports I am offering Charles Barkley the bag and seeing if he wants to debate Skip on Undisputed. It's the only thing that can save Undisputed now short of Shannon returning or reuniting with Stephen A.

Return to The General Board