KD about to be on his 9th coach in past 10 years

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Ssj16
Junior
And1: 587

KD about to be on his 9th coach in past 10 years 

Post#1 » by Ssj16 » Sat May 11, 2024 1:31 pm

I was listening to the latest Bill Simmons podcast and he was listing out stars who have had the most coaches in the past 10 years:

KD - 8 (about to be 9)
Kyrie Irving - 8
Devin Booker - 7 (about to be 8)
James Harden - 7
Russell Westbrook -7
Lebron 6 - (about to be at 7)
Giannis - 5
Butler - 5
Dame - 4
AD - 4
Kawhi - 4
Embiid - 3
Curry - 2
Tatum - 2
Jokic - 1

My take away from this is that when you look at the players with the most coaches, I think there is some correlation to those players being malcontents and not necessarily the best leaders. I think Booker is the surprise as stated in the Bill Simmons podcast because he wasn't a player who was asking to be traded to multiple teams but it also shows that he was not great enough (no fault of his own) to push a team to new heights earlier in his career until he started playing under Monty Williams, if my memory serves correct.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,278

Re: KD about to be on his 9th coach in past 10 years 

Post#2 » by BadWolf » Sat May 11, 2024 1:38 pm

Tatum is at three, Brad, Ime, Joe
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,725

Post#3 » by JayMKE » Sat May 11, 2024 1:53 pm

Lot of turnover for coaches now, not much of a leash for not meeting expectations even for championship coaches. First under the bus.
FREE GIANNIS
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 9,020

Post#4 » by meekrab » Sat May 11, 2024 2:10 pm

Giannis has had 6 coaches starting from the 14-15 season but I guess you're not counting Prunty's 3 games.

Westbrook has had a lot of coaches but he didn't kill any of them he just got traded around the league like a hot potato.

Booker managing to have 8 different coaches while staying on the same team is a big red flag for any team looking at trading for him.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,776

Post#5 » by Harry Garris » Sat May 11, 2024 2:47 pm

yeah I mean it looks like a high number but more context is needed. KD had 3 new coaches not due to the guy getting fired but just due to changing teams.

Also this shouldn’t need to be said but coaches get fired for a lot of reasons and the star player wanting them gone could have absolutely nothing to do with it. Like I don’t believe Devin Booker has advocated for many of his coaches to get fired he’s just spent his entire career playing for an organization that was really incompetent for most of it.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,778

Post#6 » by iLLmatic860 » Sat May 11, 2024 2:55 pm

well the great thing about him is one day he can be the coach. The next day Booker can be the coach. and then the 3rd day Bol Bol can be the coach
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,868

Post#7 » by Marrrcuss » Sat May 11, 2024 3:05 pm

Why do we care? Because we dont like KD and Bron?

They have moved 3+ times and their teams are title or bust. Makes perfect sense
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,436

Post#8 » by Mr Peanut » Sat May 11, 2024 3:10 pm

As said above, a few of KD's can be attributed to changing teams. Likewise for Kyrie, Harden, Westbrook.

Booker stands out the most as he's been on the same team the entire time and about to be on his 8th coach. But I think that's also a result of unstable ownership and a FO that seems to scapegoat the coach.
TorontoBarneys
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,285

Post#9 » by TorontoBarneys » Sat May 11, 2024 3:10 pm

I mean is KD the one asking for these coaches to be fired?

Didn't he have a quote recently where he said he values continuity?
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,218

Post#10 » by Lalouie » Sat May 11, 2024 3:24 pm

seriously,,,,,has anyone ever asked him about this
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,515

Post#11 » by og15 » Sat May 11, 2024 3:28 pm

Part of it is being on different teams, so we have to add that reality. It's more critical if the player is asking for coaching changes though vs if the org/management are the ones using the coaches as their scapegoat to appease the fans.

meekrab wrote:Giannis has had 6 coaches starting from the 14-15 season but I guess you're not counting Prunty's 3 games.

Westbrook has had a lot of coaches but he didn't kill any of them he just got traded around the league like a hot potato.

Booker managing to have 8 different coaches while staying on the same team is a big red flag for any team looking at trading for him.

Is it though? Has there been anything about Booker not wanting a coach to stay or asking for a new coach?

I don't think I've even heard that's, so if his team has has the kind of management that just keeps shuffling things, is that his fault?
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,282

Post#12 » by xdrta+ » Sat May 11, 2024 3:39 pm

og15 wrote:Part of it is being on different teams, so we have to add that reality. It's more critical if the player is asking for coaching changes though vs if the org/management are the ones using the coaches as their scapegoat to appease the fans.

meekrab wrote:Giannis has had 6 coaches starting from the 14-15 season but I guess you're not counting Prunty's 3 games.

Is it though? Has there been anything about Booker not wanting a coach to stay or asking for a new coach?

I don't think I've even heard that's, so if his team has has the kind of management that just keeps shuffling things, is that his fault?

Yeah, drawing conclusions from those raw numbers is kind of silly.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,636

Post#13 » by Billy Goat » Sat May 11, 2024 3:48 pm

The LeBron/KD era nearing its end will be like an anvil off of the league. Terrible era that developed terrible personalities
Lalouie
RealGM

Post#14 » by Lalouie » Sat May 11, 2024 3:56 pm

at some point you look around and there's no one left to blame
Lalouie
RealGM

Post#15 » by Lalouie » Sat May 11, 2024 4:07 pm

og15 wrote:Part of it is being on different teams, so we have to add that reality. It's more critical if the player is asking for coaching changes though vs if the org/management are the ones using the coaches as their scapegoat to appease the fans.

yes. it's the obvious question to ask,,,however if it has happened 9x then assumptions, right or wrong, tend to become reenforced. but certainly it can be stated that his presence planted the kernel.

now, if there's the one scenario that can build around him(let me revise - "assimilate him into the team"), are you going to go searching around the league to find it? we already know he split from the one situation that was good for his legacy.

at the very least we can say this...his presence brings expectations and so far all but one has failed. we also know that ego and love of talent overrides all common sense in sports. look at THE ONE situation that was good for him..........THE GROUNDWORK WAS ALREADY IN PLACE. in other words, the only destination that's good for kd is denver. milwaukee is off the table because they have already shown a propensity to break down.

kd has to go to a place that is breakdown proof. i'll take the least expected destination and say it's not denver, but the hornets. kd is not so bad that the hornets could get worse
art_tatum
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#16 » by art_tatum » Sat May 11, 2024 4:08 pm

Or just shows how incompetent suns front office are. Especially the first few years when booker was young, they went through a lot of coaches.
Huge turnover of coach and of players. It's not like booker isn't coachable. And I don't think he has asked for a coach to be fired or him to be traded.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,665

Post#17 » by kg01 » Sat May 11, 2024 4:12 pm

Lalouie wrote:at some point you look around and there's no one left to blame

Hey, it's not his fault that it's all their fault. :)
king01 :king:
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,624

Post#18 » by Myth » Sat May 11, 2024 4:13 pm

TorontoBarneys wrote:I mean is KD the one asking for these coaches to be fired?

Didn't he have a quote recently where he said he values continuity?

Durant? Continuity? Actions speak louder than words.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,693

Post#19 » by shi-woo » Sat May 11, 2024 4:18 pm

I think this says more about the disfunction of the franchises he's playing for, and not so much about him. Considering the majority of the players on the list are also his costars, it's not always him.

He had 3 coaches at his two best stops till he was 31, Brooks, Billy and Kerr. Honestly Brooks should have been fired long before he was. KD had great success in those years, and was the 2nd or 3rd best player of his generation

Are we really going to hold it against him for what happened in BRK? And are you counting Vaughn twice? Not much he could do about that situation.
mastermixer
Starter
And1: 3,007

Post#20 » by mastermixer » Sat May 11, 2024 4:22 pm

Lalouie wrote:at some point you look around and there's no one left to blame

Or you don’t lol
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr

Return to The General Board