Why does Kyrie not look to score in the first half?

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

Ugly Duckling
Analyst
And1: 1,606

Why does Kyrie not look to score in the first half? 

Post#1 » by Ugly Duckling » Sun May 12, 2024 2:50 am

He's one of, if not the best pure scorer(s) in the game. He's said that he waits for the game to come to him and to get in the flow, but is it also because he's deferring so Luka can get his and they don't butt heads? What gives?
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,458

Re: Why does Kyrie not look to score in the first half? 

Post#2 » by ItsDanger » Sun May 12, 2024 2:53 am

Irving is making it a priority to get his teammates involved offensively first, then look for his own offense in the flow of the game.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Ugly Duckling
Analyst
And1: 1,606

Post#3 » by Ugly Duckling » Sun May 12, 2024 3:06 am

ItsDanger wrote:Irving is making it a priority to get his teammates involved offensively first, then look for his own offense in the flow of the game.

Yeah, but is that a good strategy? I mean they're doing well so far, but it's not like they have this series in the bag. Wouldn't it be better for him to score in the first quarter and try to get off to a lead? If they win this round, he might have to reconsider.
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
Handlez
Junior
And1: 686

Post#4 » by Handlez » Sun May 12, 2024 3:40 am

Because he's smarter than he ever has been.

You get your help involved first to get them a rhythm.

Just like Jokic.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,140

Post#5 » by Duke4life831 » Sun May 12, 2024 6:08 am

I think it’s pretty simple. I think he’s bought into the team first mentality. So he’s giving the rest of his teammates a chance to find their rhythm and make an impact.

I also think Kyrie truly isn’t insecure about his game or any of that stuff. The dude knows he can get his shot off whenever he wants and he knows at the end of the night, if he only has 5-6 shots in the first half, he can easily end up with a 20+ FGA game if he felt like it was needed.

I think this is a big reason why him and Luka have looked so good together this year. I think it’s a pretty big deal to have a guy on Kyrie’s level, who is honestly willing to be that #2 and not worry about the narratives and all that.

Now with that said, it’s Kyrie and we have no clue how long this level of maturity will last. But he seems to have found a place where he’s happy at.
CIN-C-STAR
General Manager
And1: 16,608

Post#6 » by CIN-C-STAR » Sun May 12, 2024 6:14 am

I think it's because "he waits for the game to come to him and to get in the flow".
The greatest ones make sure their teammates are playing with confidence too, because they know they can get theirs any time, and because they know it will be even easier if they can get their teammates going first.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,127

Post#7 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 12, 2024 6:17 am

To focus on defense and to be a facilitator, he said so.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,356

Post#8 » by lambchop » Sun May 12, 2024 6:25 am

Ugly Duckling wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:Irving is making it a priority to get his teammates involved offensively first, then look for his own offense in the flow of the game.

Yeah, but is that a good strategy? I mean they're doing well so far, but it's not like they have this series in the bag. Wouldn't it be better for him to score in the first quarter and try to get off to a lead? If they win this round, he might have to reconsider.

Getting Washington and the other role players early touches, shots and even misses will make their energy on D skyrocket, even if they don't attempt more shots in the 2nd half.

It Aldo keeps their confidence up just in case they need to take shots down the stretch of games. Kyrie is plug and play so he can just activate his scoring at any given time.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
dirkdiggler4177
Rookie
And1: 1,357

Post#9 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Sun May 12, 2024 7:51 am

He is just saving his body. It's hard to be in attack mode the whole game while also playing defense the way he does. You saw Shai struggling in the 4th. I guess some of it was fatigue. He has been doing this before the Mavs era.
User_friendly
Pro Prospect
And1: 401

Post#10 » by User_friendly » Sun May 12, 2024 11:00 am

CIN-C-STAR wrote:I think it's because "he waits for the game to come to him and to get in the flow".
The greatest ones make sure their teammates are playing with confidence too, because they know they can get theirs any time, and because they know it will be even easier if they can get their teammates going first.

I'm very doubtful they are having that strategy, because it would be a very dangerous 2-edges sword.
If him "not scoring" in first half would lead to a less favorable score, then it would go against the less experienced players' confidence you would want to give them.
(And oc, If him "not scoring" leads to a more favorable score, then you don't need any more reason)
dirkdiggler4177
Rookie
And1: 1,357

Post#11 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Sun May 12, 2024 12:20 pm

User_friendly wrote:
CIN-C-STAR wrote:I think it's because "he waits for the game to come to him and to get in the flow".

I'm very doubtful they are having that strategy, because it would be a very dangerous 2-edges sword.
If him "not scoring" in first half would lead to a less favorable score, then it would go against the less experienced players' confidence you would want to give them.
(And oc, If him "not scoring" leads to a more favorable score, then you don't need any more reason)

I agree with User_friendly.

Kyrie can get him when he wants to, but he just attacks when it fits, then in the third and fourth when the game becomes tighter, the defense is more alert and it slows down he turns it on. His game is very iso-heavy, and he can make plays out of nothing. That kind of game will kill team plays at the start of the game, but works really well when you need solid shots and not a Josh Green 3-pointer or something else in the flow of the game. Luka does the same thing, but he is on another level when it comes to finding the open man.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,607

Post#12 » by durden_tyler » Sun May 12, 2024 12:33 pm

Warmed up to Kyrie as the perfect point guard. Involve teammates first before getting his. And when he decides to get his, he’s very much capable of taking over the game.

Very smart and unselfish player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,304

Post#13 » by MrBigShot » Sun May 12, 2024 12:35 pm

Get your role players involved and invested in the offense and they will play much harder. While Kyrie is not some all time great floor general/playmaker, he has always been a pretty unselfish player and willing passer.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Deivork
Starter
And1: 1,899

Post#14 » by Deivork » Sun May 12, 2024 12:51 pm

Yes, too unselfish hurts your chances too.

Return to The General Board