Dennis Rodman HOF Eligibility

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Illuminati
Banned User
And1: 11

Re: Dennis Rodman HOF Eligibility 

Post#41 » by Illuminati » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:21 pm

KR4 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Thats pretty cool that you can get a computer/laptop/wifi connection in the slums. :eek1:

The possibilities are endless in today's technological age. It's a serious matter and one you shouldn't frown upon.

BTW, really good post lj. Couldn't agree more.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#42 » by Uncle Mxy » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:54 pm

Warspite wrote: 1. There is no NBA HoF

Yeah, but the Naismith HOF and NBA are tied at the hilt.

Does the growth of basketball around the world mean there should be more Naismith HOFers, or that it should be less hard to get in, or that the NBA should have its own HOF separate from the Naismith one?

Should something beyond scoring be considered?? TMac putting up great scoring numbers on never-made-the-Finals teams for many years would have been a shoo-in for the HOF during the 70s. That stopped being good enough with Dantley. <sigh>

Look up Artis Gilmore and if you can make a case that Rodman was better than him I ll buy but you cant.

That's the argument that Artis should be in the HOF. :)

The Naismith HOF never much cared for the ABA, where Artis was at his absolute best.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,592

Post#43 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Wed Jan 2, 2008 1:30 pm

A comment about Rodman's offence: while there's no way you could build a team around him, he was actually very productive.
He had a superior bball IQ and very good passing, knew how to move the ball and move w/out it.
That's what you really need from the 4th or 5th option on the floor, and don't think many players could do it better than him.
Deus
Veteran
And1: 149

WormisaHOFer 

Post#44 » by Deus » Wed Jan 2, 2008 2:37 pm

Yes, Dennis Rodman deserves to be in the HOF.

Rodman was arguably the best garbage player in history. What he did doesn't show up in the statistics. Defense, setting picks, chasing down lose balls, disrupting the passing lanes.

Not to mention his rebounding skills were phenominal for a guy who was only 6 feet 7 inches tall. Coaches loved that they could play him at small forward and he would still dominate other centers at rebounding the ball.

He was a good outlet passer. He would hit guards like Isiah/Dumars and Jordan/Pippen on the run for easy lay-ups better than most players.

He was a much more intelligent ball player than most guys. He rarely screwed up on where he had to be on a play. A lot of players can't even tell you how to perform a pick and roll.

His only flaw was that he couldn't shoot. But he wasn't bad around the basket. He had good hands and could dunk the ball good.

If I had my ALL-TIME Dream team it would be this:

PG Magic Johnson
SG Michael Jordan
SF Dennis Rodman
PF Larry Bird
C Wilt Chamberlain
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#45 » by Uncle Mxy » Wed Jan 2, 2008 2:49 pm

Rodman decided not to evolve offensively after Game 7 of the 1988 Finals, despite Daly's best efforts (getting him to take open 3s so it wouldn't be 4-on-5). Rodman certainly had the skills to be a better offensive player than he was.
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,967

Post#46 » by INKtastic » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:05 pm

http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
wdrummel
Senior
And1: 13

Post#47 » by wdrummel » Fri Jan 4, 2008 11:58 am

That picture always made my jaw drop. I used to HATE Rodman... And I hated the Bulls too. But everything Rodman did... He deserves to be in the hall of fame.

Oh and aside from Vlade, Worm was the only other person that I can remember blatantly flopping back in the early 90s... Now its like that every 30 seconds =-p

He certainly left his mark...

Antics aside, the dude came to play. And he is the only person I saw kill himself for a seemingly meaningless loose ball...
Raskolnikov
Sophomore
And1: 8

Re: WormisaHOFer 

Post#48 » by Raskolnikov » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:15 pm

scramm wrote:Yes, Dennis Rodman deserves to be in the HOF.

Rodman was arguably the best garbage player in history. What he did doesn't show up in the statistics. Defense, setting picks, chasing down lose balls, disrupting the passing lanes.

Not to mention his rebounding skills were phenominal for a guy who was only 6 feet 7 inches tall. Coaches loved that they could play him at small forward and he would still dominate other centers at rebounding the ball.

He was a good outlet passer. He would hit guards like Isiah/Dumars and Jordan/Pippen on the run for easy lay-ups better than most players.

He was a much more intelligent ball player than most guys. He rarely screwed up on where he had to be on a play. A lot of players can't even tell you how to perform a pick and roll.

His only flaw was that he couldn't shoot. But he wasn't bad around the basket. He had good hands and could dunk the ball good.

If I had my ALL-TIME Dream team it would be this:

PG Magic Johnson
SG Michael Jordan
SF Dennis Rodman
PF Larry Bird
C Wilt Chamberlain

I always end up including Rodman when making the all-time dream team as well, though my team will probably kill your team :D

PG - Frazier
SG - Jordan
SF - Rodman
PF - Garnett
C - Chamberlain

Not the greatest shooting team, but this team could probably hold the Suns under 50 points.
Raskolnikov
Sophomore
And1: 8

Post#49 » by Raskolnikov » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:18 pm

wdrummel wrote:That picture always made my jaw drop. I used to HATE Rodman... And I hated the Bulls too. But everything Rodman did... He deserves to be in the hall of fame.

Oh and aside from Vlade, Worm was the only other person that I can remember blatantly flopping back in the early 90s... Now its like that every 30 seconds =-p

He certainly left his mark...

Antics aside, the dude came to play. And he is the only person I saw kill himself for a seemingly meaningless loose ball...

What makes that picture even more amazing is that he was like 35 years old at the time!
scottyo50
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#50 » by scottyo50 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:54 pm

There is no way, in hell that he should not make it.

Disregarding all his off the court quirkyness, he embodies what basketball should be.
He is my basketball idol. He put in 10000000000% effort every second he was out there, and put that effort into the things that arent glorified. He didnt look to be the big superstar on the court, he did what he needed to do to win, and did it amazingly well. THEN he looked to be a superstar off the court, by being a freak.

But the effort that he displayed on the court, that was just a thing of beauty. if more people played the game with the same intensity, and selfnessless that he seemed to on the court, doing what it took to win, the NBA would be a much much more competitive and amusing league
Saint18
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: Dennis Rodman HOF Eligibility 

Post#51 » by Saint18 » Sun May 29, 2011 2:45 am

Im from the future... he makes it

Return to The General Board