Smallers players guarding Big man

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Illuminati
Banned User
And1: 11

Smallers players guarding Big man 

Post#1 » by Illuminati » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:29 pm

I don't know whether or not to post it here but here it goes, why are smaller players more effective guarding big men?

For example: S-Jax on Dirk

What did he do to get Dirk off his game? I have the exact same problem and no matter what I do I can't manage to get over it. Against people of my stature I have no problem going up against but when you put someone that's 5-8 or 5-10 on me I began to struggle.

I try to post up but they seem almost impossible to move. I try to get my shot off but it always get stripped, it's really bugging me.

Thank you.
rockybalboa11
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#2 » by rockybalboa11 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:37 pm

sounds like a personal problem
GOAT_Marbury wrote:Nelly, Fonzworth Bentley and Urkel had a sex party.... D Wade was the result
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#3 » by NetsForce » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:41 pm

How much of a height advantage do you have against these guys?
Illuminati
Banned User

Post#4 » by Illuminati » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:41 pm

... not really.
rockybalboa11
Bench Warmer

Post#5 » by rockybalboa11 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:53 pm

listen its not our problem that you suck at basketball

take this to jackinworld.com or something
GOAT_Marbury wrote:Nelly, Fonzworth Bentley and Urkel had a sex party.... D Wade was the result
Illuminati
Banned User

Post#6 » by Illuminati » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:57 pm

NetsForce wrote:How much of a height advantage do you have against these guys?

I stand at 6'4 and it's usually 4 inches or so?

Rockybalboa, STFU. Do I know you? I'll have to inform you that your post lacks the HA-HA value that you're so eagerly trying to achieve.

So do yourself a favor? GTFO and stay the F out. Lame.
Albanian Damien
Starter
And1: 639

Post#7 » by Albanian Damien » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:16 am

The only big man who have trouble against smaller defenders have a combination of the following problems:
1. They can't dribble
2. They aren't strong
3. they can't jump
4. They have a short wingspan.
My Starting 5:

PG: Allen Iverson
SG: Paul Pierce
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Patrick Ewing
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,522

Post#8 » by pillwenney » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:24 am

Public warnings to rockybalboa11 and Illuminati. Cut it out guys.
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#9 » by B Mac » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:27 am

Eric Snow was also very effective on Chris Bosh and a few other bigs last year a few times. It was strange to see, but E Snow is built like a tank and was just impossible to move.
kooldude
Lead Assistant
And1: 78

Post#10 » by kooldude » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:29 am

smaller players are usually quicker than bigger guys so they are able to go to their positioning better.

If you can't post up a smaller guy, then you need to gain more strength/weight.
Warspite wrote:I still would take Mitch (Richmond) over just about any SG playing today. His peak is better than 2011 Kobe and with 90s rules hes better than Wade.

Jordan23Forever wrote:People are delusional.
Illuminati
Banned User

Post#11 » by Illuminati » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:30 am

Albanian Damien wrote:The only big man who have trouble against smaller defenders have a combination of the following problems:
1. They can't dribble
2. They aren't strong
3. they can't jump
4. They have a short wingspan.

Makes sense. I have a Chris Bosh type frame and it's odd cause I find it easier to back in guys my height but harder when it's someone shorter then me guarding me.

My coach said it had something to do with a low centre of gravity? Whatever that's suppose to mean.

Thanks for the response.
CupcakeNoFillin
Banned User

Post#12 » by CupcakeNoFillin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:46 am

That type of success on defense only happens to slow footed players.

- Look at how Stephen Jackson makes Dirk Nowitzki irrelevant.
- Look at how Al Harrington makes Yao Ming Irrelevant.
- Look at how Baron Davis makes Steve Nash irrelevant.

It happened to Dirk because he's a slow footed player, but it most likely won't happen to someone who's athletic as hell with a good handle. You can see those players have great success on defense when guarding slow players, but you won't see someone like Al Harrington being able to stop someone athletic like Dwight Howard most of the time. The only time when Al Harrington can stop someone like Howard, is when the pace of the game is quick enough that Dwight can't get into the right spot to dunk the ball.

This works against Stoudemire and the Suns too, the Suns refuse to slow down against other teams... that benifets the Warriors because their quick hands on D allows them to make Stoudemire somewhat irrelevant, since he has a hard time getting in the right spot on the floor to get a pass from Nash when the pace is fast and the Warriors defenders are all over the passing lanes.

The only slow footed big man this doesn't really work on, is Tim Duncan. Duncan always finds a way to circumvent that kind of defense.

And for you... NEVER dribble the ball too much against smaller defenders. Once you start your dribble against a smaller team, you're vulnerable to getting the ball stripped. I see the Warriors do that to people all the time, that's why they lead the league in steals. Instead, you gotta practice on working quick in the post, have good footwork, and pump fake when the time is right, to be able to score on those midgets. Also, learn how to pass well in the post, so when you become the focus of the defense you can always find an open man or cutter for an assist.
CupcakeNoFillin
Banned User

Post#13 » by CupcakeNoFillin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:50 am

Wait nevermind what I said about the Suns. They DO want to slow down against teams most of the time, because they have good pick and roll plays. But against the Warriors, I feel that they refuse to slow down because the Suns always wanna prove that they are better at running than the Warriors are. haha.
CupcakeNoFillin
Banned User

Post#14 » by CupcakeNoFillin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:52 am

Or maybe you have a hard time posting them up because they're lower to the ground and put a lot of pressure on your back. And that when they put all the strength of theirs on your back, it makes it hard for you to post up. :dontknow:

lol nevermind. don't listen to this. haha.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#15 » by NetsForce » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:53 am

J~Rush
Head Coach
And1: 28

Post#16 » by J~Rush » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:59 am

I know what you mean. Against players my height or taller I can drive and create off of that. Against smaller guys it's harder to drive. You have to play smart if you still want to play a perimeter game. Remember, you most likely have longer strides, so they have to guess which way your going and cheat. A good jab step or even a head fake can send defenders flying.
e
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,584

Post#17 » by hermes » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:12 am

just turn around and shoot it over them
you have the height advantage
CupcakeNoFillin
Banned User

Post#18 » by CupcakeNoFillin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:41 am

^^^Yao can't even do that to Al Harrington.

Anyways, it's also hard to do that at the point guard position too. Damn, I have handles... but these two little short f*ckers kept double teaming me with their quickness and doing that gangbang warriors defense on me and I couldn't get anywhere. That sucks, because it makes you have to pass the ball. I'm not saying that passing is bad, but it's bad when your team sucks and you're their only hope to put points on the board.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,832

Post#19 » by tsherkin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:52 am

To the OP:

Your first problem is trying to move a smaller player. It's way to easy to get called for a charge even if you DO find yourself able to move them.

The most important thing is that after you get position, you're not looking to physically push them towards the rim; you're looking to get around/under them or get them off you so you can shoot OVER them.

So you've got a four-inch height advantage on the guy, OK.

How far out are you receiving the ball?
Illuminati
Banned User

Post#20 » by Illuminati » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:15 am

tsherkin wrote:To the OP:

Your first problem is trying to move a smaller player. It's way to easy to get called for a charge even if you DO find yourself able to move them.

The most important thing is that after you get position, you're not looking to physically push them towards the rim; you're looking to get around/under them or get them off you so you can shoot OVER them.

So you've got a four-inch height advantage on the guy, OK.

How far out are you receiving the ball?

I usually get the ball just outside of the key or at the baseline. I have outside range so it's either I take the open shot (when available), back them up and go for an up and under/fade away/or go in for a hook shot. I've tried spinning around the smaller players but it always results me in getting the ball stripped, as of late I've been holding up the ball high but it's very uncormftable. I'm not the strongest guy around (as I've said I have a Chris Bosh frame) so I will start working out.

And I can't just turn around and shoot it over them, it's not like their stiffs there's always a hand in my face.

J-Rush, I know what you mean I've tried getting them to bite off a jab step or headfake but these are pretty good defensive players.

Cupcake, that's exactly what happens. They always have one forearm in the middle of my back. I don't want to bulldozer them over but at the time it's just odd.

Return to The General Board