Euroleague Extending 3 Point Line/Changing Lane Shape

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Lakers_4_Life
Banned User
And1: 0

Euroleague Extending 3 Point Line/Changing Lane Shape 

Post#1 » by Lakers_4_Life » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:21 pm

I don't know if this should be in the international section or not, maybe it should be. But since these two issues have always been a major issue related to the NBA in how players are able to adapt that come from Euroleague and also how games go when NBA and Euroleague teams play each other I figure this is valid for the NBA section because with this there would not be the constant talk about how different the game is because of these two things.

Anyway, apparently from what was said in Europe press Euroleague will lengthen the 3 point line by 2 feet and change the area of the 3 seconds from trapezoid to rectangle shape.........thus adapting both more to the NBA.
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#2 » by MaxRider » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:23 pm

are they changing the court size too?
nba court is a little bigger
Lakers_4_Life
Banned User

Post#3 » by Lakers_4_Life » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:27 pm

MaxRider wrote:are they changing the court size too?
nba court is a little bigger

I believe they said if they needed to widen the court for the 3 point line it would be done. So basically the only difference would then be the length of games at 40 minutes versus 48 and how the games are reffed.
Cavsfan4lyfe
Rookie

Post#4 » by Cavsfan4lyfe » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:40 pm

I actually think we should have been the ones changing to the trapezoid lane. Maybe not exactly the same dimensions and rules as FIBA though so as to not eliminate post play. I think it's good for spacing.
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#5 » by MaxRider » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:44 pm

Lakers_4_Life wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I believe they said if they needed to widen the court for the 3 point line it would be done. So basically the only difference would then be the length of games at 40 minutes versus 48 and how the games are reffed.

i don't think it will be the same court size as NBA
it's hard to do so since we use old English unit while FIBA use scientific
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,584

Post#6 » by hermes » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:14 pm

good now maybe we'll win the olympics again
jeremy1215
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#7 » by jeremy1215 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:16 pm

WTF? Why two feet? The Euroleague line is college length right? Well then the NBA line would still be 1 and a half feet longer at 23.5, the euroleague would be extended to 22. Why wouldn't they just go the whole 3.5?
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,161

Post#8 » by UGA Hayes » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:22 pm

I've never understood why people like the trapezoid lane, to me it really discourages post play and shotblocking.
Lakers_4_Life
Banned User

Post#9 » by Lakers_4_Life » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:45 pm

hermes wrote:good now maybe we'll win the olympics again

EUROLEAGUE

Euroleague has no more to do with the Olympics than the NBA does.
Consequence
Lead Assistant
And1: 255

Post#10 » by Consequence » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:54 pm

Lakers_4_Life wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

EUROLEAGUE

Euroleague has no more to do with the Olympics than the NBA does.

Ah, but now the Euroleague players will be just as thrown off by the different key/three-point line in the Olympics as the US players :wink:
Lakers_4_Life
Banned User

Post#11 » by Lakers_4_Life » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:56 pm

jeremy1215 wrote:WTF? Why two feet? The Euroleague line is college length right? Well then the NBA line would still be 1 and a half feet longer at 23.5, the euroleague would be extended to 22. Why wouldn't they just go the whole 3.5?

1. No the current Euroleague line is not the same as the NCAA it's about 9 inches to a foot further.

2. The Euroleague courts are shorter and narrower and that's because there's only not that many large arenas that can have big courts, court side space and also lots of seats.

Only teams with big Euroleague arenas are

Aris Thessaloniki (next year with new arena)
Olympiacos Athens
Panathinaikos Athens
Real Madrid
Efes Pilsen Istanbul
Lietuvos Rytas
Fenerbache Istanbul
Lottmatica Roma
Panionos Athens (but they play in 2nd division level Euroleague which is ULEB Cup league)

The only teams that play in a NBA type arena are:
Real Madrid
Panionios Athens (again not a first division Euroleague team but only 2nd division)
Lottomatica Roma (not till next year with new stadium)
Panathinaikos Athens

CSKA Moscow has one available in Moscow but the hockey team really holds it.

The ONLY arena there is that actually is NBA type AND size is the OAKA Olympic arena in Athens that Panathinaikos Athens plays in.

So there are not that many arenas that can add so many feet to the floor, plus the extra court side space plus still have room to not remove seats. So for the time being they really cannot do much more than this.

They do have another new rule though that by 2010 all teams must have an arena with a 10,000 minimum seating capacity so probably you can not make the court any bigger than this until then.

Regardless the new Euroleague 3 point line next year should be about 3 feet past the NCAA college line.
Lakers_4_Life
Banned User

Post#12 » by Lakers_4_Life » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:07 pm

Consequence wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Ah, but now the Euroleague players will be just as thrown off by the different key/three-point line in the Olympics as the US players :wink:

Yeah but of course they still play their domestic leagues during the year and only European national teams that US has to worry about are IMO Lithuania, Spain, and Greece. The players on these teams will still be playing in domestic leagues for the clubs they play on.

The better European players from these countries play basically on the better Euroleague clubs from Spain and Greece and those are probably the two best domestic leagues and so they would still be playing under the same 3 point line distance and lane shape in Spanish League and Greek League.

Return to The General Board