How Would Lebron Fare Against Physical Play Era?

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

shobe_81
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 0

How Would Lebron Fare Against Physical Play Era? 

Post#1 » by shobe_81 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:41 am

How would Lebrons play be if he had to go against the physical playing era where they were allowed to be much more physical, by that I mean that the game has evolved now in a much more offensive oriented giving advantages to offensive players such as the Hand-Check rule etc.

Lebron is big and can get inside anytime he wants against the teams in the NBA now, but how do you think he would've done against the Physical play where they were allowed to bust you up and there was much more physical contact.

I'm only using Lebron because he can get inside just about anytime because he is so big, I don't think Kobe can get inside like Lebron can (and I'm a Kobe/Lakers fan so please don't bash me for that). And also Lebron isn't that great of a shooter (perimeter wise) so that's why I asking for you opinions.
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,726

Post#2 » by Benedict_Boozer » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:48 am

Lebron would be great in any era. He doesn't back down or get intimidated by physical contact. You can hand check all you want but if he gets a step, it's over.

There are alot of Lebron threads on the gen board lately btw..
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,469

Post#3 » by Heat3 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:58 am

That means Lebron can dish out more punishment to his whimpy defenders? lol
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

Gordon Bombay
Head Coach
And1: 79

Post#4 » by Gordon Bombay » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:00 am

this is like the third lebron thread today
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#5 » by HarlemHeat37 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:02 am

the easy answer is that he would be great because of his size..but this is the same guy that missed like 6 games because of a sprained finger on his non shooting hand..

I would have to say it depends if Nike is big enough at the time to offer him a contract similar to the one he has now, and if he has incentives to play physical in it..
ImmortalD24
Assistant Coach
And1: 281

Post#6 » by ImmortalD24 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:06 am

Heat3 wrote:That means Lebron can dish out more punishment to his whimpy defenders? lol
Yep, not only did they allow the offensive player to get more physical with the defender but they also rarely called for travels, Lebron can pretty much out-power any guard/forward and is too agile and quick for any big.. The only thing thats stopping him from getting 40ppg is the legalization of zone defense.

I've always said had Lebron and Kobe played in the weak 80's they'd average 40ppg.
clipped
Sophomore
And1: 85

Post#7 » by clipped » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:06 am

LeBron is one of the most versatile basketball players ever because he is built like a linebacker but still has the speed and quickness of a guard and is extremely explosive. He also has great strength and can finish despite contact from defenders. A once in a lifetime type of player like him could dominate in any era.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#8 » by Rerisen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:06 am

This is a good question. And I don't really know the answer. On the surface, the easy answer is to say he would handle it in stride since he is so big and strong. But would he retaliate if someone like Laimbeer closelined him to the ground? Would he hold his composure if he took a constant beating and cheap shots by Riley's Knicks for 48 minutes?

Maybe things are too easy for LBJ. Maybe what he needs is actually his own 'Bad Boys' to go through to really focus his intensity and forge him into a player that might be able to become the GOAT someday.
C'mon Cavs
Starter
And1: 5

Post#9 » by C'mon Cavs » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:18 am

I can tell you right now that composure would not be an issue for LeBron. Nothing on the court will rattle him. It is extremely rare that LeBron even gets a technical foul, he has never been ejected from a game or suspended, and he has never had any off-court issues (besides a speeding ticket).

If the worst thing he's done in 4+ years in the NBA after coming straight out of high school is get a speeding ticket, I think that tells you all you need to know about his composure.

LeBron is not a retaliator. I sometimes wish he was when he takes some hits that I feel are a little cheap, but it's good that he isnt. Kobe has shown that he is a retaliator and he has gotten suspended several times because of it...I definitely wouldnt want to see that out of LeBron.

If LeBron played back in the "physical days", he would also have physical teammates that would retaliate for him, so really we dont know. He's so big and powerful that it probably wouldnt matter. A lot of times LeBron will drive to the basket, make contact with a PF or C, and they will go flying while LeBron doesnt move an inch...and no, they arent flopping.
exkonvict
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#10 » by exkonvict » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:24 am

He'll end up shooting more free throws the way he just runs people over.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,727

Post#11 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:25 am

Can't imagine why people would think this would be an issue for LeBron of all people. I remember watching the Piston-Cav series in '06, and there were times when it seemed like the only Piston whose fouls didn't just bounce off him were Ben's.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Post#12 » by bleu » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:59 am

God I hate Lebron threads...
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#13 » by NetsForce » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:02 am

Lebron would be less effective for sure, but the same goes with most players nowadays...

He'd still be good though.
mistatwo mayn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#14 » by mistatwo mayn » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:38 am

Lebron could destroy Chuck Norris. You think Bill Lambier would touch him? He'd snap his neck
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,091

Post#15 » by High 5 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:38 am

It's not like there were no great offensive players in that era. There have been very few players more gifted than LeBron (you can argue that there are none), logic says he would still be great. There's also a chance he would be better offensively. He could attack the rim with more force. He would also be a much better defender.
nestleflipz317
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#16 » by nestleflipz317 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:59 am

Trade Gooden or Hughes for the Oak and it's game over. This does go back to the "why are rating and general viewership so low" question.

I mean Mike was loved because he was so good, but there was really a "goliath" in the Pistons that he had to fight year after year. Yes the Nike and the dunk contests, but in the national spotlight, he struggled before he could get to the top. I think that iron will was by far what made him so popular.

LeBron can be more gifted and marketed better than Mike, but unless he endures hardship in the national spotlight, I don't think the general population will give a crap. The game coming too easily for him is unfortunately what's setting the viewers away, and the GM's and owners don't own these franchises for entertainment, they do it for money and sponsorship dollars, in the millions.

But to make him struggle? We gotta bring back the elbows and "no blood no foul" rules? Or give him crappy teammates... :nonono:
Frosty
RealGM
And1: 13,595

Post#17 » by Frosty » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:23 pm

ImmortalD24 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The only thing thats stopping him from getting 40ppg is the legalization of zone defense.

I've always said had Lebron and Kobe played in the weak 80's they'd average 40ppg.

You realize the league added zones to increase offense? Guess not.

Zones have been around forever. The legalization didn't result in every team suddenly playing zone. I read a book 'God, Man and Basketball Jones' from back in the 70's and what do they compalin about? Zone defense, no it wasn't legal but it existed.

Kobe has played before the zone came in AND had the benefit of rules that made it much easier for an offensive slasher but hasn't come close to 40.
East_Coast
Junior
And1: 8

Post#18 » by East_Coast » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:36 pm

nestleflipz317 wrote:I mean Mike was loved because he was so good, but there was really a "goliath" in the Pistons that he had to fight year after year. Yes the Nike and the dunk contests, but in the national spotlight, he struggled before he could get to the top. I think that iron will was by far what made him so popular.

LeBron can be more gifted and marketed better than Mike, but unless he endures hardship in the national spotlight, I don't think the general population will give a crap. The game coming too easily for him is unfortunately what's setting the viewers away, and the GM's and owners don't own these franchises for entertainment, they do it for money and sponsorship dollars, in the millions.

Check last year's finals. LeBron did struggle -- big-time -- against the "goliath" Spurs. The difference between he and Mike is that even in defeat MJ's skills continued to shine through. In other words, the non-basketball fan would tune in just to be entertained by watching him play.

LeBron seemed to shrink when he debuted on the biggest stage. I had plenty of friends who casually watch the game comment on why anyone would think that LeBron was "all that." After a while, I got tired of explaining what a phenom he really was.

Until LeBron can approach MJ's level of skill (if possible), so that even non-fans can marvel at his abilities, there really isn't much of a reason to compare the two.
► Old School fan of the best league in the world.
SuigintouEV
General Manager
And1: 1,555

Post#19 » by SuigintouEV » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:41 pm

Frosty wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You realize the league added zones to increase offense?

If "stopping Shaq's sheer dominance" is "increasing offense", then sure.

Zones have been around forever. The legalization didn't result in every team suddenly playing zone. I read a book 'God, Man and Basketball Jones' from back in the 70's and what do they compalin about? Zone defense, no it wasn't legal but it existed.

It's not pure zones that are really the issue. It's the fact that lebron almost always sees too many bodies in his path - he can't just isolate and dominate. Big men are allowed to essentially leave their man before the play even begins and just guard "space", which slows lebron's attack down by a LOT possession for possession

Kobe has played before the zone came in AND had the benefit of rules that made it much easier for an offensive slasher but hasn't come close to 40.

Kobe played before the zone came in, but he was by no means in his prime yet. And quite frankly, half court oriented team defense systems hit a peak in the 90s anyways, so sure, those rules made it easier for the offensive slasher, compared to, say, 2003, but not compared to a year like 1990.
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Jordan23Forever
General Manager
And1: 54

Post#20 » by Jordan23Forever » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:51 pm

ImmortalD24 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:rofl: :crazy:

This is the right answer:

clipped wrote:LeBron is one of the most versatile basketball players ever because he is built like a linebacker but still has the speed and quickness of a guard and is extremely explosive. He also has great strength and can finish despite contact from defenders. A once in a lifetime type of player like him could dominate in any era.

Return to The General Board