"Jordan Rules" book Jordan "Quotes"

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

ljp24
Bench Warmer
And1: 21

Post#21 » by ljp24 » Fri Mar 7, 2008 10:55 pm

GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX wrote:Who cares how Mj was as a person. We all watched him play because he was owning the whole league. What people respect about MJ is his tunnel vision when it comes to winning. Mj was portrayed favorably in the media because he was an icon and every kid wanted to be 'just like Mike'. The public forgave him for whatever wrong he may have done. Fans looked up to him as a role model. They cult worshipped him. He could do no wrong. He became the new standard for excellence..

Kobe's problem is that he came into a league with an arrogant smug type of attitude that he would be dominant. He may have been right but teammates and fans were not ready for his cocky behavior. He also faced the Jordan stigma since Jordan worshippers didn't want to accept that someone could be as good as thier god.

Fans never felt beholden to Kobe. His arrogant attitude didn't sell well outside of LA. When he was starting to reach his apex he got hit with the rape accusation which blowed up in his face. He had no control to spin the story. After beating the charge his coach and HOF teamate(O'neal) left him.

PJAX writes a book describing Kobe' selfish behavior and how he is uncoachable. The public has just been less forgiving of Kobe. He lost some of his strongest supporters, outside of LA, after the rape charge. The big reason Mj isn't villified is because fans were attached to the hip of MJ and his record was spotless. He also had charisma and spoke intelligently in interviews. His buisness like persona also appealed to an older generation. Kobe's image is tarnished for the large public. Kobe just provides to much ammunition for people to dislike him. He's a great player and NBA fans know he has game. Whether or not they respect him as a person is a completely different issue.

No, the only reason Jordan wasn't vilified was the lack of 24 hour sports network.

If he said

"I hate being out there with those garbagemen. They don't get you the ball."

"They've got no idea what it's all about. The white guys, they work hard, but they don't have the talent. And the rest of them? Who knows what to expect? They're not good for much of anything."

"I know what's gonna happen. We'll wait until the last minute and then they'll say something like they couldn't get a deal done because of the cap or somebody pulled out at the last minute. It happens here all the time. I don't know why I'm surprised every year."

That would be on SportsCenter coverage three days straight, not including Chicago Tribune.
GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#22 » by GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX » Fri Mar 7, 2008 11:06 pm

I'm assuming the white remark happened very early on his career before he attained a coprorate status. That comment after the 1986 season doesn't fly. I'm also imaging that comment wasn't well documeted and may have been misquoted. Before any major damage was done with the public at large his agent/PR-people cleaned up the mess and were able to sell Jordan as a brand. If that quote held any substance a person looking to bring down Mike's godly status would have heavy ammunition.

Obviously if it ever happened the way they said it did Jordan managed to have the issue cleared up and learned from the lesson. It's no wonder why Jordan became very selective about which reporters he would conduct interviews with.

Jordan achieved max ratings for the NBA when no other star was close to his stature. He gave people a reason to care about the NBA. He brought new fans to the game. Obviously there was just 'something about Mike' that made people tune in and watch.
exkonvict
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#23 » by exkonvict » Fri Mar 7, 2008 11:14 pm

Kwame Brown

/endthread.
triplet1984
General Manager
And1: 177

Post#24 » by triplet1984 » Fri Mar 7, 2008 11:16 pm

I read this book pretty recently actually. It was a great book, because it didn't worship Jordan, it presented him warts and all. And yes, at times Jordan was absolutely a dick.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,510

Post#25 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Mar 7, 2008 11:17 pm

GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX wrote:
Jordan achieved max ratings for the NBA when no other star was close to his stature. He gave people a reason to care about the NBA.

I don't think that's quite accurate. The Magic/Bird rivalry was what gave people a reason to care about the league when it was floundering. Certainly MJ was the flagship for the league as it got even more popular, but Larry and Magic were the main turning point.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX
Banned User

Post#26 » by GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX » Fri Mar 7, 2008 11:19 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I don't think that's quite accurate. The Magic/Bird rivalry was what gave people a reason to care about the league when it was floundering. Certainly MJ was the flagship for the league as it got even more popular, but Larry and Magic were the main turning point.

fair enough. He did it keep it relevant though.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Re: "Jordan Rules" book Jordan "Quotes" 

Post#27 » by JordansBulls » Fri Mar 7, 2008 11:22 pm

shobe_81 wrote:
"Five more years and I'm out of here. I'm marking these days on a calendar, like I'm in jail. I'm tired of being used by this organization, by the league, by the writers, by everyone."

I thought it was intersting that he said he would give it 5 more years. IIRC that was in 1989. That should be plenty of time to know if an organization will get you help or not. Good thing he stuck with what he had an a star was born in Pippen.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,510

Post#28 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Mar 7, 2008 11:22 pm

GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

fair enough. He did it keep it relevant though.

Oh, absolutely, and more, he took it up a notch. He was the most evident result of Stern's shift to an emphasis on 'star' players, one he really began for/because of Magic/Bird. I wasn't disagreeing with the aspect of your point about his being the most popular NBA player ever, he easily was. I just objected to the significance of that popularity; Magic and Bird's run was the one that did what I think you were saying MJ did.

I think people forget how unpopular the NBA was as they came into the league, and how huge it was as they left.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Frosty
General Manager
And1: 13,470

Post#29 » by Frosty » Fri Mar 7, 2008 11:31 pm

ljp24 wrote:No, the only reason Jordan wasn't vilified was the lack of 24 hour sports network..

There were multiple 24 hour sports channels. Even Canada had one at the time TSN. Sportsdesk type shows pre-dated "the Jordan Rules" I'm afraid.
Diaper Dandy
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#30 » by Diaper Dandy » Sat Mar 8, 2008 12:03 am

I always liked how hard he was on his teammates. Reminds me of the military. I like it.
Battling ridiculous homers one incredibly biased argument at a time.
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,782

Post#31 » by G35 » Sat Mar 8, 2008 3:14 am

Frosty wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

There were multiple 24 hour sports channels. Even Canada had one at the time TSN. Sportsdesk type shows pre-dated "the Jordan Rules" I'm afraid.

You mean like:

NBA TV started in 1999

ESPN2 started in 1993

ESPNNEWS started in 1996

Foxsports regionals started in 2000

Best Damn Sports Show Period started in 2001

ESPN Classic started in 1997

Yeah all around the time Jordan was making those comments........
I'm so tired of the typical......
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,454

Post#32 » by rpa » Sat Mar 8, 2008 3:24 am

shobe_81 wrote:I"You ever hear of a guy, six-eleven maybe and two hundred sixty pounds, a guy big and fat like that and he can't get but two rebounds, if that many, running all over the damn court and he gets two rebounds? Big guy like that and he gets one rebound. Can't even stick his **** into people and get more than that...Big, fat, fat guy. One rebound in three games. Power forward. Maybe they should call it powerless forward."

Eddy Curry should thank God every night that Jordan didn't pick him over Kwame.
Blue_Bomber
Sophomore

Post#33 » by Blue_Bomber » Sat Mar 8, 2008 3:39 am

Quotes like these are fun to read, but confuse the hell out of me when I go and read books on Jordan from Chicago writers/ reporters of the time and it's like the lockeroom is just a happy, solid group. :S
writerman
Banned User
And1: 5

Yep... 

Post#34 » by writerman » Sat Mar 8, 2008 3:50 am

just like I've always said--the man was an arrogant a-hole.

People have often put down Wilt Chamberlain for his ego. He looks modest by comparison to Jordan. Jordan's ass always got a free pass. That's the biggest reason I never could stand him--the way the press fawned over him and made him some sort of godling when as a human being he deserved little of the adoration he recieved. You could make a case for him being the Ty Cobb of the NBA--supremely talented but personally nasty and obnoxious.
RatherUnique24
Senior

Post#35 » by RatherUnique24 » Sat Mar 8, 2008 3:54 am

Very Competitive Man

Its the win at cost model that made Lombardi such a success. Tough competitive love

I don't care about the quotes that are made in the high of one's professional career. Winning is everything and you have to be honest when its all about winning.

I haven't read this book and I should, However You should check out Sacred Hoops where you can see Jordan from Phil's perspective. Phil believes this book gave Jordan a negative view of his attitude towards his teammates. MJ expects the best out of everyone, and if you didn't help him win - He did not have a need for you to be on the court.
ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,578

Post#36 » by ivDT » Sat Mar 8, 2008 6:33 am

forget management, jordan should have become a motivational speaker after his playing days were over.
Idunkon1stdates
Senior
And1: 22

Post#37 » by Idunkon1stdates » Sat Mar 8, 2008 8:56 am

He would've done well in the military like his brother.
Pats19andO
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#38 » by Pats19andO » Sat Mar 8, 2008 10:21 pm

prorl wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That worked out well for you hasent it Michael? :rofl:
:rofl:
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Re: Yep... 

Post#39 » by Next Coming » Sat Mar 8, 2008 10:24 pm

writerman wrote:just like I've always said--the man was an arrogant a-hole.

People have often put down Wilt Chamberlain for his ego. He looks modest by comparison to Jordan. Jordan's ass always got a free pass. That's the biggest reason I never could stand him--the way the press fawned over him and made him some sort of godling when as a human being he deserved little of the adoration he recieved. You could make a case for him being the Ty Cobb of the NBA--supremely talented but personally nasty and obnoxious.

So you can't stand him because of something he can't control?
Jordan23Forever
General Manager
And1: 54

Post#40 » by Jordan23Forever » Sun Mar 9, 2008 6:40 am

What's funny is that people are taking these quotes at face value. They were posted on another board and a poster who had actually read the book they were taken from posted the entire context of each quote, and it made things sound a lot more reasonable. Some comments were still tactless, but the ones where you're sitting there going "how the hell can he say this!?" are all taken out of context by selective quoting.

Read the book. I wish I remembered who the dude was who addressed these quotes one by one...

Return to The General Board