2nd Round: Hornets vs. Spurs - Spurs Win (4-3)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

CITYOFANGELSX3
RealGM
And1: 151

2nd Round: Hornets vs. Spurs - Spurs Win (4-3) 

Post#1 » by CITYOFANGELSX3 » Fri May 9, 2008 4:23 am

vs

Gm. 1: Sat., May 3: SPURS 82 @ HORNETS 101 FINAL
Gm. 2: Mon., May 5: SPURS 84 @ HORNETS 102 FINAL
Gm. 3: Thu., May 8: Hornets 99 @ Spurs 110 FINAL
Gm. 4: Sun., May 11: at San Antonio, 8 p.m. ET (TNT)
Gm. 5*: Tue., May 13: at New Orleans, TBD (TNT)
Gm. 6*: Thu., May 15: at San Antonio, TBD (ESPN)
Gm. 7*: Mon., May 19: at New Orleans, TBD (TNT)
* if necessary
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#2 » by Vindicater » Fri May 9, 2008 4:42 am

Spurs make it inrteresting

Lets hope the hornets bounce back and spank them in the next game!
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
TAI8
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#3 » by TAI8 » Fri May 9, 2008 4:50 am

Spurs win in 6
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#4 » by Ballings7 » Fri May 9, 2008 4:54 am

Big-time win for SA

Big Three were fantastic

Really fun game

Duncan got going nicely in the 2nd half, and put in a good game

Thomas, Finley, Bowen, Oberto all played significant parts as well

As expected, Bruce Bowen was put onto Peja primarily, and he was shut down. I expect a little better game from Peja in G4, but still not at the level previously.

Chris Paul is just a mad man
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#5 » by snaquille oatmeal » Fri May 9, 2008 4:55 am

lol Texas longhorn has been getting pwnd lately with the new game threads. modhood brownie points are getting tougher to get. :lol:
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
Texas Longhorns
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#6 » by Texas Longhorns » Fri May 9, 2008 5:17 am

:clap: Wow, I got to hand it to you Snaquille. That was the post of the year. Everyone clap for him.

I'm tired of all you guys smart ass remarks about these game threads. You think I care if someone else makes a game thread? I mean, if I cared that much, I would probably never put myself in a situation to get suspended. Miller said he made it because I wasn't there to make it because I was suspended. Did anyone else bother to make it? No, this is the first time someone has stepped up and made it. I don't care really, I just like making them. There's no contest here, nor are there prizes. There are only two reasons why there are so many game threads created by me 1) I like making them and 2) Nobody else has even tried to make them.
- Vince Young - Kevin Durant - LaMarcus Aldrige - T.J. Ford - D.J. Augustin
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,505

Post#7 » by The Laker Kid » Fri May 9, 2008 5:43 am

Texas Longhorns, thank you for making the previous game threads. I really do appreciate them and I missed seeing you while you were gone. I am glad you are back.
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
ChrisTheFuturePaul
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#8 » by ChrisTheFuturePaul » Fri May 9, 2008 5:58 am

Spurs pulled away with it, Hornets quit in the 4th (bar CP3)

I think whether or not the Hornets lost this game they were still gonna come out of San Antonio 1 and 1. If they win tonight they get too confident and San Antonio come out desperate and take the 4th game, but they lost tonight and B Scott is gonna reignite them for game 5.

I think the next game is going to get real gritty and physical, Hornets will win by 6.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#9 » by LAKESHOW » Fri May 9, 2008 6:04 am

ive seen this before. these series go like this.

hornets either win the next one and of course close it out at home.

or the spurs win the next one and it goes the full 7.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
CITYOFANGELSX3
RealGM
And1: 151

Post#10 » by CITYOFANGELSX3 » Fri May 9, 2008 6:36 am

LAKESHOW wrote:ive seen this before. these series go like this.

hornets either win the next one and of course close it out at home.

or the spurs win the next one and it goes the full 7.

Id love to see this series go 7.

But thats up to the spurs.

"Dont ever underestimate the heart of a champion"
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#11 » by hype_2004 » Fri May 9, 2008 7:20 am

TAI8 wrote:Spurs win in 6

Entirely possible they win the next 3 consecutively, Pop has made some minor critical adjustments that he shouldve made from the start and that is to neutralize Tyson Chandler for getting cheap baskets and playing Bowen to shadow Peja Stojakovic, thus letting Paul do all the work himself.
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#12 » by magicfan4life05 » Fri May 9, 2008 11:34 am

great win for the spurs, they stay alive!!

The Laker Kid wrote:Texas Longhorns, thank you for making the previous game threads. I really do appreciate them and I missed seeing you while you were gone. I am glad you are back.
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
Magz50
Head Coach
And1: 114

Post#13 » by Magz50 » Fri May 9, 2008 1:17 pm

Finally the Spurs shooters found some touch and we won. if we had shot well in games 1 and 2 things could be alot different right now. the problem is when our 3pt shooting is off it makes it very hard for Tim to create space for our slashers, once guys like Bowen and fin are nailing three's the Hornets have to respect them and it leaves the lane open for Parker and Manu. That's the Spurs game plan as it has always been. It all comes down to our shooters.
at87on
Rookie
And1: 348

Post#14 » by at87on » Fri May 9, 2008 2:28 pm

Finley, Bowen, Parker and Ginobilli finally showed up in the series. When Duncan passes out of the triple and sometimes quadruple teams, if one of those players hit a shot or two in the 2nd hales of game 1 or 2 (like they did in game 3) this series will be a lot different.

Now, they have to do the same in game 4 or they will see the same fate as Dallas did in round 1.
Bgil
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#15 » by Bgil » Fri May 9, 2008 3:33 pm

Ballings7 wrote:Big-time win for SA

Big Three were fantastic

Really fun game

Duncan got going nicely in the 2nd half, and put in a good game

Thomas, Finley, Bowen, Oberto all played significant parts as well

As expected, Bruce Bowen was put onto Peja primarily, and he was shut down. I expect a little better game from Peja in G4, but still not at the level previously.

Chris Paul is just a mad man

I haven't seen the game but I've been championing the "shut everyone else down" strategy for a while. Paul isn't going to drop the 50ppg needed to win while his teammates struggle. Erasing Peja and Chandler from the game is the best way to kill the Hornets offense too. IMO they're more important to them than West.
"I'm sure they'll jump off the bandwagon. Then when we do get back on top, they're going to want to jump back on, and we're going to tell them there's no more room." - Kobe in March of 2005
TAI8
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#16 » by TAI8 » Fri May 9, 2008 3:39 pm

The Spurs win 110-99. Paul only had 9 assists. New Orleans scored only 99 points. When we score 100+ we win. Paul can score 40 and New Orleans will lose. Paul needs to create shots for his teammates in order to fire the engine. Peja, Peterson, Pargo, and Wells were shut down. West and Chandler were fighting fiercely.

This is the real Spurs. Parker and Ginobili both scored 31. Finley scored 11. Bowen scored 12. Duncan struggled but contributed in other facets of the game. We outscored New Orleans 56-43 in the second half and we were trailing by 2 at the half. Karma is a bitch. 8)
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#17 » by LAKESHOW » Fri May 9, 2008 3:47 pm

this is great stuff, its a great scouting tool for the LAKERs. and heres the thing, the spurs are a good defensive team, and they will find weaknesses.

and what we are seeing, is that they are taking peja out of the picture. placing their top defender on him. the thinking before was to place your top defender on paul. that is the wrong strategy. place strong defenders on the rest, and force paul to do it all himself.

the offense slows considerably.

also, pound inside and get tyson into foul trouble. without tyson, melvin ely comes in and this guy sucks.

but again, placing bowen on peja and limiting tyson is key. allowing paul to be the main emphasis and carry the whole load.

now who knows who wins this thing. the spurs might get blown out these next 2 games. but they definitely are revealing cracks in the armor of chris paul and the hornets.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#18 » by HarlemHeat37 » Fri May 9, 2008 4:32 pm

good game..

this is what I've been expecting from Manu and Parker..nobody on the Hornets roster should be able to guard Manu..he made ONE bad decision today, which was a stupid pass, but luckily a Hornets defender tipped it..he needs to keep his bad plays in check, and just use his talent..fundamental basketball, no need for the flash..

Parker played a solid game, but I thought he had a few bad drives into too many defenders..the thing that's annoying me about him is that he fell a few times and came back for defense too late, allowing NO to score..sometimes it's legit, but sometimes he acts..

Duncan looked good in the 2nd half, but still needs to get his act together..if the Spurs shooters aren't gonna hit shots like game 1 and 2, I think he should get his move in before the double and attempt at drawing a foul..hopefully the shooters make them..

Bowen gave a great effort, nothing bad I can say about him..

Finley was solid..hopefully this gets him going..I'd still like to see Barry get some minutes though..

as for the Hornets..

Paul was just amazing..that 360 shot was just crazy..I liked how they made him shoot jumpers, but he was making them..just like when Parker is making them(albeit Paul is a better shooter), you can't stop him if he's making them..

I'd like for them to keep making him a scorer..

I didn't like some of the switches on defense..sometimes you have to live with the results without switching..
Magz50
Head Coach
And1: 114

Post#19 » by Magz50 » Fri May 9, 2008 4:57 pm

Basically the Spurs are doing what they did to Phoenix a few years ago. Letting Paul score , like Amare, and shut down the rest of the team. It's a good ploy and worked last night, we just need to keep it going in game 4,5 and 6.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#20 » by HarlemHeat37 » Fri May 9, 2008 5:07 pm

definitely..we're gonna need similar production from Manu and Parker though..and the shooters of course..

Return to The General Board