Report: Iverson Headed to Charlotte

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

OneAnswer
Rookie
And1: 67

Re: Report: Iverson Headed to Charlotte 

Post#101 » by OneAnswer » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:01 pm

kvash37 wrote:
OneAnswer wrote:
kvash37 wrote:I don't get it. Are they just trying to get people in the seats? I thought they were set for guard.They have a backcourt of Felton/Augustin at point guard and Henderson/Bell at shooting guard. Where does AI fit in?

He fits in by being better than those players ever were or ever will be.

Well lets see.

At point guard? Lets not start that joke.
At shooting guard? Bell is washed up. Then it comes to AI vs Henderson. who would you rather give playing time to, a 34 year old low FG percentage chucking 6 foot shooting guard or a 21 year old athletic 6-5 shooting guard with potential.

If you're not going to win anyways, why not just let the young players play.

AI is better than felton or augstin will ever be
I'd take a superstar over an unproven nobody rookie with 'potential'.

Potential leads to lottery. Hell, I'd keep a proven Raja over Henderson

Experienced players bring wins, Larry Brown knows this. Should every team abandon all hope and keep only rookies on their team if they're not the Lakers?

I know how much you realgm people love draft picks but at some point you might realize this is just entertainment. And most people would like to see an entertaining product on the floor, if the rookies did their job the Bobcats wouldn't be where they are now. The Celtics wouldn't have traded Al Jefferson. There's always time to 'rebuild' all you have to do is be a bad team
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#102 » by Manocad » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:02 pm

I'll take that bet. I'll bet they have little to no net improvement.
abark
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,416

Post#103 » by abark » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:25 pm

Puertorique wrote: So many seasons of losing for the Bobcats is the reason why. The team has sucked repeatedly year in and year out, this is a great addition for the franchise and gives them something to be excited about. It's also a chance at making the playoffs for the first time in the franchises history. Harden will continue to develop with or without AI.

It shows what a sad state the franchise is in when the idea of just making the NBA playoffs is put on such a pedestal. When half the teams make it, being an 8 seed and getting knocked out in the first round is not a successful season. But I guess after a 6 year drought, even a loogie in the face would seem refreshing. Also, Harden is in Oklahoma City.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#104 » by WEFFPIM » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:52 pm

Seemed like the best fit
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
kvash37
Pro Prospect
And1: 367

Post#105 » by kvash37 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:38 pm

OneAnswer wrote:
kvash37 wrote:
OneAnswer wrote:
He fits in by being better than those players ever were or ever will be.

Well lets see.

At point guard? Lets not start that joke.
At shooting guard? Bell is washed up. Then it comes to AI vs Henderson. who would you rather give playing time to, a 34 year old low FG percentage chucking 6 foot shooting guard or a 21 year old athletic 6-5 shooting guard with potential.

If you're not going to win anyways, why not just let the young players play.

AI is better than felton or augstin will ever be
I'd take a superstar over an unproven nobody rookie with 'potential'.

Potential leads to lottery. Hell, I'd keep a proven Raja over Henderson

Experienced players bring wins, Larry Brown knows this. Should every team abandon all hope and keep only rookies on their team if they're not the Lakers?

I know how much you realgm people love draft picks but at some point you might realize this is just entertainment. And most people would like to see an entertaining product on the floor, if the rookies did their job the Bobcats wouldn't be where they are now. The Celtics wouldn't have traded Al Jefferson. There's always time to 'rebuild' all you have to do is be a bad team

Are we talking about the same guy? Iverson did nothing to help the Pistons, then he showed his bad attitude by refusing to come off the bench. They pretty much pulled a Marbury and told him to stay away.

Better than Felton/Augustin? Everyone pretty much knows by now that Iverson is not a point guard unless he completely changes his mentality and becomes a pass first player. It would be a pleasant surprise but I wouldn't count on it at this point. At shooting guard he is way undersized and can be exposed on defense.

Iverson used to be able to get away with these things because he was an amazing player, but he is only a shell of his former self. This move must be to just get the fans excited, EXTREMELY similar to Terrell Owens and the Buffalo Bills.

Did you really compare this move to the Celtics trading for KG? :lol: There is a reason he still hasn't signed and it's late August. No one wants this guy on more than a 1 year deal.
OneAnswer
Rookie
And1: 67

Post#106 » by OneAnswer » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:54 pm

The pistons treated him like a third string scrub, he should have sat out. The type of minutes they gave him were insulting especially off the bench for a bust like rodney stucky and will freaking bynum. AI played pg as a sixer under o'brien and he was better at pg than both felton and augustin.

One bad year does not ruin an entire career. I'm amazed everyone gives the benefit of a doubt to Arenas, but none to AI. Why don't you guys just admit you don't like him and it has nothing to do with basketball?

My point about Jefferson was that I'd always rather have an experienced star than a rook in the nba. That is unless I want my team to tank. Which I'm sure you would. Since you'd rather start Henderson.
Gus McCrae
General Manager
And1: 2,004

Post#107 » by Gus McCrae » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:31 am

Bobcats are stoked, Iverson has a chance to show he's still got game this season and should play with a vengeance in the East. Good signing, the right signing. He's so underrated on this site. Such an upgrade at the guard spot and will put fans in seats.
kvash37
Pro Prospect
And1: 367

Post#108 » by kvash37 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:32 am

OneAnswer wrote:The pistons treated him like a third string scrub, he should have sat out. The type of minutes they gave him were insulting especially off the bench for a bust like rodney stucky and will freaking bynum. AI played pg as a sixer under o'brien and he was better at pg than both felton and augustin.

One bad year does not ruin an entire career. I'm amazed everyone gives the benefit of a doubt to Arenas, but none to AI. Why don't you guys just admit you don't like him and it has nothing to do with basketball?

My point about Jefferson was that I'd always rather have an experienced star than a rook in the nba. That is unless I want my team to tank. Which I'm sure you would. Since you'd rather start Henderson.

The thing is, Iverson is not that type of difference maker anymore. The Nuggets were much better off when they got rid of him, and we saw how his experience with the Pistons went. The Bobcats MAYBE get the 8th seed and get swept in the 1st round. I see that as lottery anyways, why not start Henderson and get his maturation process started sooner rather than later.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#109 » by Manocad » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:53 am

OneAnswer wrote:One bad year does not ruin an entire career. I'm amazed everyone gives the benefit of a doubt to Arenas, but none to AI. Why don't you guys just admit you don't like him and it has nothing to do with basketball?

Yes! We admit it! The 99% of basketball fans here who think Iverson is going to be little to no help to any team are just Iverson haters, while the 1% fanboy faction knows the true story.

This is what makes you a fanboy. If someone points out your favorite player's deficiencies, they are immediately labeled a 'hater.' You refuse to see what the rest of the world finds quite obvious.

To your previous question, Arenas is 27. Iverson is 34. Arenas deserves more benefit of the doubt at this point. The fact that you say this amazes you means you're arguing with emotion, not logic.
SonicMcMahon
Pro Prospect
And1: 438

Post#110 » by SonicMcMahon » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:22 am

Manocad wrote:
OneAnswer wrote:One bad year does not ruin an entire career. I'm amazed everyone gives the benefit of a doubt to Arenas, but none to AI. Why don't you guys just admit you don't like him and it has nothing to do with basketball?

Yes! We admit it! The 99% of basketball fans here who think Iverson is going to be little to no help to any team are just Iverson haters, while the 1% fanboy faction knows the true story.

This is what makes you a fanboy. If someone points out your favorite player's deficiencies, they are immediately labeled a 'hater.' You refuse to see what the rest of the world finds quite obvious.

To your previous question, Arenas is 27. Iverson is 34. Arenas deserves more benefit of the doubt at this point. The fact that you say this amazes you means you're arguing with emotion, not logic.

Yea but 99% of posters here don't think he will be little or no help. Go back and read the thread. Most people see this as a good move. I'm not saying you're a hater, but the fact is, a lot of fans, even those who aren't at all Iverson fans, think this move makes sense.
Netto
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#111 » by Netto » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:43 am

Charlotte is the best place for AI where he can play a starting role like he always wanted and could still be their scoring leader but with him on the line up, they look small to me. Bobcats should add more big and reliable men.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,238

Post#112 » by amcoolio » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:31 am

Are people forgetting that we would have made the playoffs if we made the Diaw trade sooner? People are saying "maybe they'll make the playoffs, maybe the 8th seed" when they were damn close last year before Bell got hurt and we had no SG to close the season.

Seriously, this team is coached by Larry Brown, is one of the best defensive units in the NBA, finally has some depth on the bench, and now added a superstar who if he could replicate 80% of what he did his last year in Denver, it puts the Bobcats comfortably in the playoffs.

Stop drinking the Raptor Kool-aid.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#113 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:31 am

This ain't the 2001 Sixers. Felton or Augustine aren't veterans who "play the right way". Or can play with A.I in the back-court for that matter. The defensive intensity from this team definately won't be the same.

But with G-Wall, A.I and Henderson/Bell. They're 8th seed material.
abark
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,416

Post#114 » by abark » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:38 am

amcoolio wrote:Are people forgetting that we would have made the playoffs if we made the Diaw trade sooner? People are saying "maybe they'll make the playoffs, maybe the 8th seed" when they were damn close last year before Bell got hurt and we had no SG to close the season.

Seriously, this team is coached by Larry Brown, is one of the best defensive units in the NBA, finally has some depth on the bench, and now added a superstar who if he could replicate 80% of what he did his last year in Denver, it puts the Bobcats comfortably in the playoffs.

Stop drinking the Raptor Kool-aid.

The trade you are talking about was made at the beginning of December. They were 13-9 before the trade (13-11 before Diaw started playing for them). I agree the trade made them better, but what are you talking about?

Also, do you really think this move makes the Bobcats any better than a 6-8 seed? They downgraded at center by trading for Chandler. The Hornets were trying to give him away last year during the season, where he averaged 8.8 points, 8.7 rebounds, and 1.2 block in 32 minutes. Then the only other major move was signing a player that only three teams were interested in. You call Iverson a "superstar," but what superstar can only pull a 1 year contract for 5 million or less. Its not like he turned down better offers, cause there were none.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,238

Post#115 » by amcoolio » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:25 pm

What? They were 8-20 before the trade, 8-22 before Diaw and Bell started playing, 27-20 with Diaw and Bell, then lost the last 5 games of the season with Bell injured, the Cats out of the race and LB started giving the bench minutes.

Thats 27-22 with a majority of road games and the hardest part of their schedule.

WTF are you talking about?

And don't get me started on the Chandler trade, stop being so shortsighted and looking at stats only
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Wasp
Sixth Man
And1: 1,199

Post#116 » by Wasp » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:48 pm

amcoolio wrote:Stop drinking the Raptor Kool-aid.

Did the Raptor mascot steal your girlfriend or something? Calm down with the Raptor bashing, especially when no one has talked about them in this thread at all.

Back on topic, Iverson on the Bobcats is the perfect fit and is awesome for their franchise and the league in general. Charlotte will now draw crowds on the road, love or hate AI he is entertaining as hell to watch when a team lets him loose to do whatever he wants. Charlotte needs to make the playoffs, people need to realize that endless rebuilds rarely ever work - you need to try and be a competitive team at some point.

The Bobcats have a nice looking team and the East will be a real dogfight this year. Outside of the top 3, there are a lot of solid teams fighting for the 4-8 spots and a lot can happen in an 82 game season. Should be fun.
Austin
Senior
And1: 0

Post#117 » by Austin » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:28 pm

the bobcats are gonna be good this year if they get AI. their 2 position will have 2 starters in AI & Bell, and AI can even play some PG. with Wallace, Diaw, Chandler, etc. the team has plenty of offencive weapons. With the addition of AI, it could turn into a very well rounded team.
thruthefire
Head Coach
And1: 600

Post#118 » by thruthefire » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:29 pm

Let's get the facts straight ...

The Bobcats were 7-16 before Diaw and Bell played their first games in Bobcats' uniforms. After that, the Bobcats went 28-31. Bell missed the last six games of the season, in which the Bobcats won only 1 game. This was partly because the team had no other legitimate shooting guard on the roster, and partly because the team caved in to the playoff pressure. (In the prior two games, the Bobcats blew fourth quarter leads, eventually ending in losses.) Oh, and LB tanked the final two games. Didn't help that the second half of the season was road-heavy, either. Meaning, they failed to take advantage of a home-heavy schedule early on.

The Bobcats needed a go-to scorer, and AI is one of the best in the game in that regard.

The Chandler trade sucks, though. Not even gonna debate that **** anymore.
Humble yourself.
thruthefire
Head Coach

Post#119 » by thruthefire » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:37 pm

Too many idiots in this thread for me to respond to anything else. It would simply fall on deaf ears. :lol:
Humble yourself.
thruthefire
Head Coach

Post#120 » by thruthefire » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:43 pm

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:This ain't the 2001 Sixers. Felton or Augustine aren't veterans who "play the right way". Or can play with A.I in the back-court for that matter. The defensive intensity from this team definately won't be the same.

But with G-Wall, A.I and Henderson/Bell. They're 8th seed material.

All right, I had to respond to this ...

That's some ****, but whatever.

Done.

P.S. The Bobcats are not rebuilding. They brought in mediocre players with large contracts to help them win last season, since they wanted to make the playoffs very badly. Of course, those contracts made our FO trade Okafor, but I'll refrain from going any further with that ...
Humble yourself.

Return to The General Board