Hot 3PT Shooting, NBA's answer to a hot pitcher?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Chronz
Starter
And1: 467

Hot 3PT Shooting, NBA's answer to a hot pitcher? 

Post#1 » by Chronz » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:00 am

You know how they say any MLB team can win in the post season if the right pitchers catch fire at the right time. Does anyone think basketball works that way at all?

Last years Magic illustrate this point, the Cavs were the best at defending the 3 all year, they were among the best at defending post players all year, yet the Magic scorched them at both aspects. The Magics torrid shooting began in the Celtics series only to flame out against the Lakers. From G5 of the Magic series till the end of the Cavs series the Magic shot above 40%. Did the Cavs allow too many open looks? Probably but even with open looks, 40% is ridiculous.

The Most Glaring example of hot shooting totally leveling the playing field

The 2001 Lakers that swept everyone:
They shot (32-72 from 3's)(44%) in their sweep of the Spurs, followed up by 36-75 (.480) in the Finals - a .463 average for a team that shot the 3 at just .344 over the course of the regular season. The Lakers win the title anyways, but cmon that was a ridiculous run. That Spurs series shouldve been a slugout instead it was total pwnage.

What do you make of these instances, a result of luck or a concentrated effort to execute the gameplan to absolute perfection? Were the Lakers of 01 really that good or did they get hot at the perfect time? Comparable to pitchers or not?
jrich88
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Hot 3PT Shooting, NBA's answer to a hot pitcher? 

Post#2 » by jrich88 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:04 am

Post? Magic? Wat?

Cavs can't/couldn't defend pick and roll/pop. Magic had no post players. Let's be real here Howard isn't a post player.
Patterns
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#3 » by Patterns » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:20 am

It's not comparable because the likelihood that a whole team catches on fire is very unusual. It must be the defense.
knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,633

Post#4 » by knicksNOTslick » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:21 am

Didn't that 2001 Laker team have Robert Horry and Derek Fisher? Don't those guys usually play better in the playoffs? Not to mention Kobe steps up in the playoffs as well. I think you got your answer right there. Is it hot 3pt shooting? ...or just being clutch.

EDIT: I just looked at the stats... Derek Fisher was 53% from 3 (52% the whole playoffs) in the 2001 Finals, Robert Horry was 62%. I was right. Those guys bring it every year in the playoffs with their late game heroics... not just for the Lakers, Horry did it for the Spurs as well.

I really don't think you can compare the NBA to the MLB. It's just too different because in baseball, there are way more upsets than there are in the NBA. In the NBA, the better team almost always comes out on top. A hot team in baseball can make it to the World Series even though they're not really the best. In the NBA, that's less likely...and usually the best teams have players that perform well in the playoffs (like the ones I mentioned above).

Return to The General Board