DeJuan Blair 28 points 21 rebounds...

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

pro2020
Rookie
And1: 0

Re: DeJuan Blair 28 points 21 rebounds... 

Post#61 » by pro2020 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:21 pm

Walid wrote:What does it have to do with scouting? Everyone thought his ACL / knees were messed but when he drops WAY down you have to take him and Spurs got lucky and picked him. Now I'm not saying that the Spurs don't have a good scouting team, I'm just saying it was all luck and stupidity by other teams.

I definitely agree. Luck is a major part of any sport.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#62 » by Blame Rasho » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:06 am

Quiet-Storm wrote:Hes very good, but I think his stats are a little inflated.

It's gotta be easier to put up stats when the other team is focusing all their attention on Tim Duncun, let alone that Manu, Jefferson and Parker are also on the team. But Tim is the big thing.

Gotta give him his props though, there isn't much more you could ask from him. I hope the spurs go deep in the playoffs.

Jeez... this is one bad post.
imonaboat
Bench Warmer
And1: 7

Post#63 » by imonaboat » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:18 am

So whats up with his knees? I remember hear a comentator saying he had no ACLs? or something? how long will he be able to preform at a NBA level. I kinda feel bad for the guy injuries are the worst thing that can happen to anyone.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#64 » by Blame Rasho » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:23 am

imonaboat wrote:So whats up with his knees? I remember hear a comentator saying he had no ACLs? or something? how long will he be able to preform at a NBA level. I kinda feel bad for the guy injuries are the worst thing that can happen to anyone.

DeJuan Blair’s quads ate up his acls because they were inferior.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#65 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:10 am

I'm not sure it's possible to NOT have ACLs, but if he doesnt, he can't tear them, so what's the problem?

Either way, I was chanting Blair on draft night for a reason, dude was always a beast, and will continue to beast, even if he has to play from a wheel chair, he's just that kinda dude.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Shuttlesworth
Starter
And1: 7

Post#66 » by Shuttlesworth » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:17 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:I'm not sure it's possible to NOT have ACLs, but if he doesnt, he can't tear them, so what's the problem?

I'm curious to this as well. If you tear your ACL that badly that it needs to be removed, the best course of action for you is to get on a waiting list for a cadaver.

ACL's can be moved from a recently deceased person into someone with Torn/damaged ACL's. I'm sure a Doctor would advise him to do the same thing.... what went wrong? Is this guy superhuman or something?
mattyj
Veteran
And1: 247

Post#67 » by mattyj » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:38 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:I'm not sure it's possible to NOT have ACLs, but if he doesnt, he can't tear them, so what's the problem?

Either way, I was chanting Blair on draft night for a reason, dude was always a beast, and will continue to beast, even if he has to play from a wheel chair, he's just that kinda dude.

Im pretty sure not having ACLs will lead to him having some nasty arthritis to the point of almost not being able to walk in a few years time, i think "thats what the problem" is
CoachPop
Junior
And1: 126

Post#68 » by CoachPop » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:59 am

The case of Blair's knees is well documented. In high school he tore both ACLs, had surgery to repair them, and between then and the physicals he went through in preparation for the NBA draft, his surgically repaired ACLs had turned to scar tissue, and had been absorbed by his body. So he literally has no ACLs. The long term effect of this is unknown, and that's what kept teams away. There have been other (or at least one) player who also played without an ACL due to similar circumstances, can't remember who it was at the moment. But ya, Blair is playing without ACLs. His leg muscles have somehow developed the ability to compensate. Pretty amazing.
dmespurs
Junior
And1: 6

Post#69 » by dmespurs » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:37 am

Here's a pretty cool breakdown of Blair's big night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojsJKq1A ... r_embedded
Greek
Starter
And1: 447

Post#70 » by Greek » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:55 am

One of the Greek basketball legends and an x-NT coach Panayiotis Yiannakis (the coach that has beat US on Japan) he played up his 37 without ACLs. He had big body for guard, he wasnt the most explosive player around but he managed to have long and successful career. Now he is approaching his 50, but we never hear that he has any problems with his knees. So i guess if him can make it, it will be easier for Blair considering that the medicine had a rapid development in last 10-15 years.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,837

Post#71 » by giberish » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:27 am

CoachPop wrote:The case of Blair's knees is well documented. In high school he tore both ACLs, had surgery to repair them, and between then and the physicals he went through in preparation for the NBA draft, his surgically repaired ACLs had turned to scar tissue, and had been absorbed by his body. So he literally has no ACLs. The long term effect of this is unknown, and that's what kept teams away. There have been other (or at least one) player who also played without an ACL due to similar circumstances, can't remember who it was at the moment. But ya, Blair is playing without ACLs. His leg muscles have somehow developed the ability to compensate. Pretty amazing.

There have been a bunch of players with the same issue in one knee (more in the NFL than NBA, mostly because there's just more players in the NFL). A couple had long careers (John Elway and someone else - Hines Ward? being the notable ones) Others had shorter careers because they just weren't that good. The limited evidence seems to be that it isn't that big of a risk - which makes him falling that far look like gross incompetance by a lot of teams.
Krazy!!!
Starter
And1: 165

Post#72 » by Krazy!!! » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:06 pm

Although I'm happy with Taj Gibson...I still wished that the Bulls had drafted Blair. Both his game and his facial features resemble Elton Brand.

Return to The General Board