Are the Magic and Cavs forming a "legit" rivalry?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Re: Are the Magic and Cavs forming a "legit" rivalry? 

Post#41 » by basketball royalty » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:48 am

Phil X wrote:
C'mon Cavs wrote:
Shaq isn't an enforcer. You should've picked up Stephen Jackson if that's what you were going for.

Shaq is the biggest enforcer in the game. He destroys people when they come into the paint, and he definitely won't stand for any shenanigans out of the opponent.

Shaq is a Big dude and no question he would pummel most people, but he is very docile in that regard.

Sure you have the Barkley and BMiller incidents, but for the most part Shaq does not lose his head.

Considering you've named two instances where he lost his head which is more than you can say for the majority of players in the L I'd say he qualifies. There is also the hard fouls he likes to lay on people where no one would get into his face for because they would be scared of the repercussions. I'd say Shaq firs into an enforcer role pretty well.
props to Turbozone for the sig
Gordon Bombay
Head Coach
And1: 79

Post#42 » by Gordon Bombay » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:49 am

not until we beat orlando in the playoffs will i call it a rivalry...but these regular season matchups between the two teams are pretty fun
The Shiv
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#43 » by The Shiv » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:52 am

If Shaq and Barns fought Shaq would cave his face in with 1 shot kid.
Jimmy76
RealGM
And1: 8

Post#44 » by Jimmy76 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:54 am

mattyBoi wrote:
Jimmy76 wrote:i think the magic are going to be a team in the decline in a year or two barring some brilliant gming/amazing Dwight breakout

but yea its something of a rivalry now

Can I ask why you think that? Just curious.

carter is going to decline and i think the team if kept as currently constructed is going to lose some of its gusto unless they build on their previous success aka start winning titles and im questioning their chances at a title this year i dont think they can beat the lakers in a 7 game series

otis has been a damn good gm in retrospect so who knows

No offense meant to magic fans this is just pure speculation this happened to the suns after we ran with our nash/amare/marion core for awhile. There was some decline but I think another part to it was just growing tired and not being as confident in their abilities since they kept coming up short of title expectations.
Heyvoon24
Pro Prospect
And1: 18

Post#45 » by Heyvoon24 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:57 am

DowJones wrote:Hello, Laker fans. Glad to see you guys found your way into another Cleveland thread.

you are getting overly sensitive
Beat who?
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#46 » by JordansBulls » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:57 am

J-Ville Smoke wrote:... and if they aren't, what more must be done?

Obviously no one is on the level of Boston and LA, but I love watching new rivalries form.

Both teams have young superstars (most likely locked up long term)

Both are in the same conference (Playoff-like regular season games)

Both teams are stacked (owners not afraid to pay a la Yanks/Red Sox)

Ex-player talking **** about young star and opposing coach

Short but intense playoff history (like I said, "forming" a rivalry)

Chess game between GM's

What does the Gen Board think?

Won't be a rivalry until they meet in the playoffs and both teams win a series against one another.

Detroit vs Cle in 2006 and 2007 was a rivalry as they both beat one another in a series.
Miami vs Det in 2005 and 2006 was a rivalry
Chicago vs Miami in 2006 and 2007 was a rivalry.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,696

Post#47 » by Benedict_Boozer » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:01 am

ORL/CLE is a good rivalry on the court. I don't think there is any hate on either side (with the fans yes not the players). Just good competition.

I could REALLY see Varejao getting into it with Odom though if a CLE/LA finals occurred. I would put money on that happening actually.
The Skyhook
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#48 » by The Skyhook » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:07 am

Benedict_Boozer wrote:ORL/CLE is a good rivalry on the court. I don't think there is any hate on either side (with the fans yes not the players). Just good competition.

I could REALLY see Varejao getting into it with Odom though if a CLE/LA finals occurred. I would put money on that happening actually.

/thread
mattyBoi
Head Coach
And1: 894

Post#49 » by mattyBoi » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:08 am

Jimmy76 wrote:
mattyBoi wrote:
Jimmy76 wrote:i think the magic are going to be a team in the decline in a year or two barring some brilliant gming/amazing Dwight breakout

but yea its something of a rivalry now

Can I ask why you think that? Just curious.

carter is going to decline and i think the team if kept as currently constructed is going to lose some of its gusto unless they build on their previous success aka start winning titles and im questioning their chances at a title this year i dont think they can beat the lakers in a 7 game series

otis has been a damn good gm in retrospect so who knows

No offense meant to magic fans this is just pure speculation this happened to the suns after we ran with our nash/amare/marion core for awhile. There was some decline but I think another part to it was just growing tired and not being as confident in their abilities since they kept coming up short of title expectations.

No offense taken at all. Just wanted to get an outside perspective. It's certainly possible. Vince will be a major expiring for us next year that I think we will try to flip. Plus I think the Magic are hoping for some veteran guys to sign for the cheap in the next couple of years. Otis has done well so far. IMHO i see the future looking more bleak for the Cavs. Shaq, Z, Jamison are getting near the end, they will need to rebuild around Lebron sometime soon. That's why I was worried about the Amare deal. They wouldve been set for years. Of course Lebron can make any team a contender so they will always be formidable, but I see some weaker years for them coming soon.
RocketPower23
Banned User
And1: 26

Post#50 » by RocketPower23 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:11 am

Matt Barnes and Delonte West get into a fight. Book it.
branch
Sophomore

Post#51 » by branch » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:19 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCXB7cLbiFg

Shaq is an enforcer!

Barnes is here too.
Jimmy76
RealGM
And1: 8

Post#52 » by Jimmy76 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:25 am

mattyBoi wrote:No offense taken at all. Just wanted to get an outside perspective. It's certainly possible. Vince will be a major expiring for us next year that I think we will try to flip. Plus I think the Magic are hoping for some veteran guys to sign for the cheap in the next couple of years. Otis has done well so far. IMHO i see the future looking more bleak for the Cavs. Shaq, Z, Jamison are getting near the end, they will need to rebuild around Lebron sometime soon. That's why I was worried about the Amare deal. They wouldve been set for years. Of course Lebron can make any team a contender so they will always be formidable, but I see some weaker years for them coming soon.

Otis has been pretty creative so far so im not sleeping on the Magic's future yet but i think in a couple years if you guys havent won a title you're gonna need a new look

a new coach and new strategy could go a long ways towards that (put Shard back at SF if you pick up a really good PF could help that)

and a rebuilt backcourt is something else to explore

but based on how Otis addressed the Hedo situation and nabbed carter im not putting it past him to reload the magic very quickly if necessary
mattyBoi
Head Coach
And1: 894

Post#53 » by mattyBoi » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:30 am

If only we still had this guy..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3OuzKpQ3jM
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#54 » by LApwnd » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:42 am

C'mon Cavs wrote:
Visirale wrote:
MayoisMemphis wrote:But neither team really has an enforcer to get into a fight with so they'll have to meet in the playoffs 2-3 more times

Matt Barnes says sup.

So does Shaq.

Shaq vs. Barnes fight it is. Who do you guys think would win that?

use some common sense, if they fought in the playoffs, who's the real winner? :lol:
NADALbULLS
Banned User

Post#55 » by NADALbULLS » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:56 am

Cavs just need 3 things to beat Magic:
-Gibson starting and playing 4th quarter minutes (which means no Mo*)
-LeBron James
-SSHAQ

*Throughout the 66 win season I was calling for Mo to be benched, was never convinced of his play....he's a fair-weather fighter.
Ito
General Manager
And1: 790

Post#56 » by Ito » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:43 pm

I rather see Kobe and Lebron/Shaq go at it
Kosar86
Assistant Coach
And1: 33

Post#57 » by Kosar86 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:54 pm

J-Ville Smoke wrote:
MayoisMemphis wrote:Fight is needed

Truth

No player will throw a punch at any Cav...why? - because delonte west carries 3 guns and is prone to "emotional swings"
jaypo
Lead Assistant
And1: 436

Post#58 » by jaypo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:05 pm

Well, Shaq has been training MMA for about 10 years and has trained with the likes of Randy Couture. So I'd put my money on him. Oh, and the fact that he weighs about 330lbs.
mike_miller
Lead Assistant
And1: 34

Post#59 » by mike_miller » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:45 pm

if anyone watches these games...they know dwights smile is just an act and hes probably the most violent player in the nba...

this match up is clearly the premiere match up in the east. if they meet in the ecof final again i would say thats a legit rivalry..
Visirale
Bench Warmer

Post#60 » by Visirale » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:48 pm

jaypo wrote:Well, Shaq has been training MMA for about 10 years and has trained with the likes of Randy Couture. So I'd put my money on him. Oh, and the fact that he weighs about 330lbs.

That MMA stuff was a joke. Have you seen him recently? It's like he put it all on hold once he got traded to CLE and on the Supersize me diet. He was in great shape last year, this shape he mostly looks like a blob.

Still, I'm sure he could sit on Barnes and that'd be that. Barnes was talking it up with Varajao though...

Return to The General Board