If you were in charge of the HoF, who would you add/remove?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

If you were in charge of the HoF, who would you add/remove? 

Post#1 » by Hilltop » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:10 pm

It's just something I thought about after that long-drawn out discussion about Vince Carter and the Hall of Fame. The argument there basically revolved around whether or not Vince had a case for the Hall. My answer was a resounding yes, he does have a strong case to make it. Not because he was the best of the best, and not because he was a true elite (He is not an All-Time Great in my eyes). But given the trends and some of those who have been inducted before (Carter would certainly not the worst player there), it certainly seems like his resume meets the minimum requirements.

In other words, it seems to me that while the Hall of Fame has enshrined some of the most prominent, most talented, and most accomplished players, it could still be a bit more stringent and narrow the criteria even further. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everybody makes it or that enshrinement is easily attainable. It is still an exclusive group, but I just think that it should have only the elite and the All-Time Greats, rather than very good/borderline great players (which the Hall seems to have a large number of).

What do you guys think?

What changes would you make to induction criteria, and which among the current inductees would you remove and which players who are not in the Hall, would you add?
oberyn3
Sophomore
And1: 8

Re: If you were in charge of the HoF, who would you add/remove? 

Post#2 » by oberyn3 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:04 pm

I'd add Artis Gilmore and Sidney Moncrief.

If I had to remove 2 guys to counter-balance this, they'd probably be Adrian Dantley and Calvin Murphy.

In terms of non-players, I'd be very tempted to remove Dick Vitale.
Godzilla039
Analyst
And1: 288

Post#3 » by Godzilla039 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:05 pm

Rodman = in
Just a must-watch army of possessed ass-kickers laying the smack down night after night after night. People are gonna hate playing the Bulls this year.
pace31
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,350

Post#4 » by pace31 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:06 pm

oberyn3 wrote:I'd add Artis Gilmore and Sidney Moncrief.

If I had to remove 2 guys to counter-balance this, they'd probably be Adrian Dantley and Calvin Murphy.

Dantley? Are you crazy? 23,177 points for 9th all-time, a career 54% from the field, along with 6 boards and 3 assists per game goes to the hall of fame.

Gilmore should be in, but Dantley shouldn't come out.
illiance
RealGM
And1: 507

Post#5 » by illiance » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:08 pm

Godzilla039 wrote:Rodman = in
macblank
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#6 » by macblank » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:09 pm

oberyn3 wrote:I'd add Artis Gilmore and Sidney Moncrief.

Dantley out?! Wat

Rodman in for sure.
Kunta Kinte
Banned User

Post#7 » by Kunta Kinte » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:15 pm

illiance wrote:
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,973

Post#8 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:18 pm

Rodman and Gilmore in. On the fence with Dennis Johnson and Moncrief. Not a fan of Carter, but he's had a pretty decorated career.

First out would be K.C. Jones. Great defender/slash role player on a historically great team, but how do you make the Hall without playing in ONE All-Star Game?

Calvin Murphy, one All-Star game. Out.

On the fence with guys like Joe Dumars and Bailey Howell. Hall of the Very, Very Good seems more appropriate. Not wild about Connie Hawkins; peak wasn't high enough to offset lack of longevity.

And Bob Houbregs? Literally never heard of him.

I would also completely remove all the college coaches and any foreigners who had no link to the NBA. The Association should have its own Hall.

I also have no clue why they induct coaches before they are retired.
tosi
Assistant Coach
And1: 504

Post#9 » by tosi » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:19 pm

I would remove the Hall of Fame because obviously, every bum has a chance
fart wrote:I agree. get over it people. MJ is ridicoulsly overrated that people have developed this perception that no one can challenge him for GOAT.
DumbyTheWizard
Starter
And1: 58

Post#10 » by DumbyTheWizard » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:42 pm

Moncrief, Gilmore and DJ in.
Kobe>Jordan>God wrote:I'm starting to suspect that Rivers isn't even a real doctor.
oberyn3
Sophomore
And1: 8

Post#11 » by oberyn3 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:04 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:Calvin Murphy, one All-Star game. Out.

On the fence with guys like Joe Dumars and Bailey Howell. Hall of the Very, Very Good seems more appropriate. Not wild about Connie Hawkins; peak wasn't high enough to offset lack of longevity.

And Bob Houbregs? Literally never heard of him.

I would also completely remove all the college coaches and any foreigners who had no link to the NBA. The Association should have its own Hall.

I also have no clue why they induct coaches before they are retired.

Re: Calvin Murphy, I understand he had a great college career, but so have a lot of guys who won't get within shouting distance of the Hall. Wayman Tisdale was a 3-time All-American too, and noone's clamoring for his induction.

I have mixed feelings about the NBA having its own HOF. The Basketball Hall of Fame is dominated by NBA players already, and I like the fact that it's a Hall to honor the sport as opposed to a particular league. If the NBA had its own Hall, I think you'd end up with 2 separately cheapened Halls. I mean, would you have dueling induction ceremonies or would one Hall shorten the length of time before a retired player could be inducted in an attempt to one-up the other Hall? I'd just hate to see something like that happen.
Greek
Starter
And1: 447

Post#12 » by Greek » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:27 pm

dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#13 » by dballislife » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:17 pm

robert parish career numbers of 14 and 9, never avg 20 10 once in 20+ seasons should gtfo imo...sry but i still respect the chief
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
RichardsRival3
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#14 » by RichardsRival3 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:54 pm

cavsfan2681
Banned User

Post#15 » by cavsfan2681 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:59 pm

i wouldnt remove anyone who are you to say who should be removed.i respect hall of fame voters more so than a bunch of people on realgm no diserespect
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,973

Post#16 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:02 pm

oberyn3 wrote:Re: Calvin Murphy, I understand he had a great college career, but so have a lot of guys who won't get within shouting distance of the Hall. Wayman Tisdale was a 3-time All-American too, and noone's clamoring for his induction.

I said Calvin Murphy, OUT. As in, he shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame.
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Post#17 » by Hilltop » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:23 am

cavsfan2681 wrote:i wouldnt remove anyone who are you to say who should be removed.i respect hall of fame voters more so than a bunch of people on realgm no diserespect

No disrespect is meant to the current Hall of Famers. It's a hypothetical discussion. :roll:
TiMVP
Bench Warmer
And1: 58

Post#18 » by TiMVP » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:38 am

DumbyTheWizard wrote:Moncrief, Gilmore and DJ in.

+ Rodman. I wouldn't remove anyone
spurs are gonna win in 07 quote me on it....
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,537

Post#19 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:53 am

cavsfan2681 wrote:i wouldnt remove anyone who are you to say who should be removed.i respect hall of fame voters more so than a bunch of people on realgm no diserespect

I'd remove a lot of European players. NBDL players don't get elected into the Hall, so why should others in inferior leagues just because they play in Europe? Anthony Parker dominated Europe. If he stays in Europe, he gets in the Hall of Fame. Does he seem like a HOFer to you?
ThaRegul8r
Head Coach
And1: 3,019

Post#20 » by ThaRegul8r » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:05 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:Rodman and Gilmore in. On the fence with Dennis Johnson and Moncrief. Not a fan of Carter, but he's had a pretty decorated career.

First out would be K.C. Jones. Great defender/slash role player on a historically great team, but how do you make the Hall without playing in ONE All-Star Game?

I agree that if you were never so much as an All-Star during your career, it defies logic that you should somehow become a Hall of Famer after it. How do you become a better player five years after your career's over than you actually were in the time you played?
I remember your posts from the RPOY project, you consistently brought it. Please continue to do so, sir. This board needs guys like you to counteract ... worthless posters

Retirement isn’t the end of the road, but just a turn in the road. – Unknown

Return to The General Board