RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #88 (Jack Sikma)

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #88 (Jack Sikma) 

Post#1 » by penbeast0 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:33 pm

Our system is now as follows:

1. We have a pool of Nominees you are to choose from for your Induction (main) vote to decide who next gets on the List. Choose your top vote, and if you'd like to, a second vote which will be used for runoff purposes if needed.

2. Nomination vote now works the same way.

3. You must include reasoning for each of your votes, though you may re-use your old words in a new post.

4. Post as much as they want, but when you do your official Vote make it really clear to me at the top of that post that that post is your Vote. And if you decide to change your vote before the votes are tallied, please edit that same Vote post.

5. Anyone may post thoughts, but please only make a Vote post if you're on the Voter list. If you'd like to be added to the project, please ask in the General Thread for the project. Note that you will not be added immediately to the project now. If you express an interest during the #2 thread, for example, the earliest you'll be added to the Voter list is for the #3.

5. I'll tally the votes when I wake up the morning after the Deadline (I don't care if you change things after the official Deadline, but once I tally, it's over). For this specific Vote, if people ask before the Deadline, I'll extend it.

Here's the list of the Voter Pool as it stands right now (and if I forgot anyone I approved, do let me know):

Spoiler:
AEnigma
Ambrose
ceilng raiser
ceoofkobefans
Clyde Frazier
Colbinii
cupcakesnake
Doctor MJ
Dooley
DQuinn1575
Dr Positivity
DraymondGold
Dutchball97
f4p
falcolombardi
Fundamentals21
Gibson22
HeartBreakKid
homecourtloss
iggymcfrack
LA Bird
JimmyFromNz
Joao Saraiva
lessthanjake
Lou Fan
Moonbeam
Narigo
OhayoKD
OldSchoolNoBull
penbeast0
Rishkar
rk2023
Samurai
ShaqAttac
Taj FTW
Tim Lehrbach
trelos6
trex_8063
ty 4191
WintaSoldier1
ZeppelinPage

Alright, the Nominees for you to choose among for the next slot on the list (in alphabetical order):

Cliff Hagan

Al Horford

Bill Sharman

Jack Sikma

Bill Walton

As requested, here's the current list so far along with the historical spreadsheet of previous projects:

Current List
Historical Spreadsheet
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
penbeast0

Re: RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #88 (Deadline ~6am PST, 4/1/24) 

Post#2 » by penbeast0 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:38 pm

Vote Bill Sharman Best shooting guard of his era, combined relatively good scoring with relatively good defense for an extended period. Still valuable up into the 60s. Like Hagan, he played in a weak era but played at the top level for longer.

Alternate Vote Cliff Hagan Solid 2nd banana on the 2nd best team of the late 50s/early 60s. Stepped up strong in the playoffs pretty consistently.

Nominate: Jayon Tatum Short prime but consistent two way performer. Have him slightly above Luke for defense and ability to fit into team mold though Luka is more spectacular and heliocentric.

Alt Nomination: Mel Daniels: Could also say Luka Doncic here but Mel is getting ignored despite being the best player on a multiple championship team and a 2 time ABA MVP. It was a weak league but probably stronger than the one Bob Davies excelled in and he dominated it more.

Most similar modern player would be Alonzo Mourning with better rebounding but without the great shotblocking. Both became greats through sheer aggression and a willingness to fight you every inch of every possession.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,753

Post#3 » by eminence » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:47 pm

I think Sikma will be moving to the top of my ballot. Unsure on my second nomination spot.
I bought a boat.
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,238

Post#4 » by AEnigma » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:00 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Mel is getting ignored despite being the best player on a multiple championship team and a 2 time ABA MVP. It was a weak league but probably stronger than the one Bob Davies excelled in and he dominated it more.

Yeah I fundamentally disagree with this. I do not see an especially good case for him over Roger Brown in 1970 given the substantial minutes advantage and Brown’s elevation in the playoffs. George McGinnis looks like the team’s lead in 1973 for similar reasons (less of a minutes gap, more a case of Mel fading in the postseason than McGinnis rising). That leaves maybe 1972 for Mel… except there it is again not something that actually carries over to the playoffs, where Brown characteristically elevates and Mel characteristically fades, and then Freddie Lewis is the one taking home Playoff MVP.

I do not see him as any sort of dominating force. For all three titles, other players on his team were recognised as being better in the postseason. He has two MVPs, yes… but 1971 was undeserved on its face and 1969 was a product of the only two real superstars in a nascent league getting injured. To whatever extent you care to sincerely advocate him as a merited MVP in the early ABA, he never carried over his level of play to the postseason anyway. Then he was also finished as a player by the time he turned 30, giving him worse longevity than Connie Hawkins! And Connie peaked much higher and even post-injury managed to maintain relevance in a better league.

Being traded for nothing to a garbage team that barely used him while his old team once again returned to the Finals should be the ultimate symbol of how Mel could not keep pace with an actually talented league. Contrast with Zelmo Beaty or Billy Cunningham, two more champions with higher peaks, longer careers, and clear translation across leagues. Speaking of that 1975 Pacers run, add George McGinnis to the list of players with better longevity, a higher peak, and successful translation to a better league. I have never understood why you continue to back Mel in every project, and I probably never will.
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#5 » by AEnigma » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:17 pm

VOTE: Al Horford
Alternate: Jack Sikma
NOMINATE: Grant Hill Billy Cunningham
AltNom: Metta Artest

Okay, been gesturing at this for a while, and with Marion freshly inducted and in the absence of real unity on any player aside from Horace Grant, seems like a good time to push Artest.

Now, not arguing him as more historically memorable or significant than figures like Cunningham or Worthy, nor as culturally engaging as players like Wilkins or Hill. I understand Malice is an immediate non-starter for some. But the way I see it, for a brief period he was a true star, leading his team to a legitimate conference finals run as a contender. He has good longevity plus arguably the best RAPM values remaining, on par with or arguably better than the newly inducted Shawn Marion. On offence his style of play could be ugly, but in Indiana he hovered around league average efficiency, and he typically was an okay secondary/tertiary playmaker on all his teams. Not quite Pippen defensively, but not far off in the discussions for greatest non-big defender. Unlike Marion, he maintained his value in the postseason and translated successfully to every team he joined, culminating in a support title on the 2010 Lakers comparable to Marion’s 2011 (and easy to argue that Artest was respectively more essential).

Consistently strong WOWY results to support his robust plus/minus profile:
2000: 16-56 —> 1-9 / -10.1 —> -13.6
2001: 15-61 —> 0-6 / -10 —> -12.3
2002 Bulls: 8-19 —> 13-43 / -6.6 —> -10.9
2002 Pacers: 16-12 —> 26-28 / +2.7 —> -1
2003: 43-26 —> 5-8 / +4.8 —> -1.4
2004: 54-19 —> 7-2 / +6.7 —> +5.9
2005: 6-1 —> 38-37 / +7.2 —> +0.2
2006 Pacers: 10-6 —> 31-35 / +3.8 —> +1.7
2006 Kings: 26-14 —> 18-24 / +4.7 —> -1.1
2007: 28-42 —> 5-7 / -1.9 —> -1.8
2008: 30-27 —> 8-17 / -0.9 —> -5.7
2009: 47-22 —> 6-7 / +5.3 —> -0.3
PACERS TOTAL: 54.8-win pace —> 40.4-win pace / +5.2 —> +0.5
KINGS TOTAL: 84-83 —> 31-48 / -0.1 —> -2.7

That is a decade of strong impact with only one or two more tepid exceptions, before getting into his four years of less essential but still productive starting contributions to the Lakers. Between the 2004 Pacers conference finals run, the 2009 Rockets surprising run without McGrady and mostly without Yao, the 2010 Lakers title, and some last gasp relevance for the Kings before they faded into their 2009-22 dregs, I have a tough time finding anyone remaining who produced as much success across as many teams over as long a time as Artest did.

Not attached to this nomination by any means, but there should at least be a discussion. Can we argue him over Carmelo? And if we can, is it possible to extend that to some of the other scorers? I am cool with the approach that it may look silly to be placing a guy like Artest (or Iguodala or Grant) ahead of some of those true “superstars”, but I do not see a good way to reconcile that with Marion’s induction… unless we start leaning hard on raw longevity, because Marion played 39,000 minutes as a starter-level player while Artest only managed 30,000. However, that takes us in a different direction — one where we probably need to give a good look at guys like Joe Johnson and Lenny Wilkens. So far, that has not seemed to be the approach of most of us.
trelos6
Junior
And1: 146

Post#6 » by trelos6 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:58 pm

vote : Jack Sikma

Defensive anchor of the Late 70's early 80's Sonics. Historically, he's made the top 100 careers list every time, ranging from 78-99. I know I use PIPM graphs a lot, but Sikma's truly shows his value.

We can see that defensively, he was always an impactful player, with several seasons worthy of All D level. He was also playing at an all star level for 10-11 years. Offensively, his ability to shoot the ball, and free throws, cannot be overrated. A player vastly ahead of his time, I think he would thrive in the modern era.

Alt vote: Al Horford

Some uninspiring choices. Walton, his peak was great, but it was 2 seasons. Hagan, around 4 great years with the one amazing post season run, but again, I see him fringe top 100. Probably wouldn’t mind him at 95-100. Parker has some good rORTG numbers, but played with Manu and Duncan. It was a toss up between a guy who played a long time as a facilitator vs a guy who played a long time as a very good defensive player.

Ultimately, I’m going with Horford because I’m a homer. But also because when Horford has played in the green, I see how valuable he has been. Whether dominating Embiid, canning 3’s or working in the DHO with IT4, Horford has played exceptionally well. For his career he is a +4 in RAPM, +2 on O, -2 on D. He can plug and play with just about any team (sorry Philly).

alt. Nom: Terry Porter

88-93 in the last 2 projects. I have him with 6 very strong seasons, 2 of which I have at a weak MVP level. His career had some longevity to it, though it wasn't at any great level.

Image These can be seen on his career PIPM graph.

His 3 year post season peak from 90-92, he averaged 20 pp75 on + 10.6 rTS%. I think an efficient PG makes team building so much easier, and if they can also not be a turnstile on defense, it helps even more. Porter did that really well. Playoff Porter increased both his usage and shooting against playoff defenses, and that's not something that can be said of a lot of players.

Alt nom: Mo Cheeks

Good lead guard for a long time. Complimentary scorer who was efficient. Good to great passer. Very good peak defensively. Another not so sexy pick, but he was just a good player for a long time.
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager
And1: 3,682

Post#7 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:46 pm

AEnigma wrote:VOTE: Al Horford
NOMINATE: Grant Hill

Okay, been gesturing at this for a while, and with Marion freshly inducted and in the absence of real unity on any player aside from Horace Grant, seems like a good time to push Artest.

Now, not arguing him as more historically memorable or significant than figures like Cunningham or Worthy, nor as culturally engaging as players like Wilkins or Hill. I understand Malice is an immediate non-starter for some. But the way I see it, for a brief period he was a true star, leading his team to a legitimate conference finals run as a contender. He has good longevity plus arguably the best RAPM values remaining, on par with or arguably better than the newly inducted Shawn Marion. On offence his style of play could be ugly, but in Indiana he hovered around league average efficiency, and he typically was an okay secondary/tertiary playmaker on all his teams. Not quite Pippen defensively, but not far off in the discussions for greatest non-big defender. Unlike Marion, he maintained his value in the postseason and translated successfully to every team he joined, culminating in a support title on the 2010 Lakers comparable to Marion’s 2011 (and easy to argue that Artest was respectively more essential).

That is a decade of strong impact with only one or two more tepid exceptions, before getting into his four years of less essential but still productive starting contributions to the Lakers. Between the 2004 Pacers conference finals run, the 2009 Rockets surprising run without McGrady and mostly without Yao, the 2010 Lakers title, and some last gasp relevance for the Kings before they faded into their 2009-22 dregs, I have a tough time finding anyone remaining who produced as much success across as many teams over as long a time as Artest did.

Not attached to this nomination by any means, but there should at least be a discussion. Can we argue him over Carmelo? And if we can, is it possible to extend that to some of the other scorers? I am cool with the approach that it may look silly to be placing a guy like Artest (or Iguodala or Grant) ahead of some of those true “superstars”, but I do not see a good way to reconcile that with Marion’s induction… unless we start leaning hard on raw longevity, because Marion played 39,000 minutes as a starter-level player while Artest only managed 30,000. However, that takes us in a different direction — one where we probably need to give a good look at guys like Joe Johnson and Lenny Wilkens. So far, that has not seemed to be the approach of most of us.

Not sold on Artest. I understand the argument - he's got strong career on/off, both RS and PO, and was perhaps the best non-big defender of his generation, but consider this:

In that peak 03-04 season when the Pacers went to the ECF, while he and Jermaine O'Neal had comparable on/off in the RS(Jermaine +6.8, Artest +9.1), in the playoffs Jermaine was all the way up at +10.2, while Artest was down at +1.0 over 15 playoff games. I struggle to call him a 'true star' for that Pacers team. They were an ensemble. Don't forget that that Reggie was still there and put up a +9.8 in the RS, as well as Tinsley with a +10.8 in the RS.

His box numbers for his career don't have too much going for them - inefficient volume scoring, decent rebounding, and good SPG indicating the obvious, that he was a great defender.

I do think it's notable that on the 2010 Lakers, when he was in a tertiary role, he - and not Kobe or Gasol - posted the highest PO on/off on the team(other than DJ Mbenga who played a total of 12 minutes in those playoffs) over the 23 games of that championship run at +9.7.

Still, assuming everyone on the current ballot gets in(and it still seems like Hagan might slip through the cracks), there's only eight spots left, and I think there are quite clearly more than eight players left who have stronger arguments.

And FWIW, I don't feel the need to reconcile that with Marion's induction because I never voted for Marion and I was pretty consistent in my position that I don't think he's a Top 100 guy.

A word about Grant Hill since you nominated him - he has obvious longevity-of-quality issues, and I'm not as high on his peak as some are...I see a total lack of playoff success, as well as negative/red playoff on/off numbers for him, in his Detroit/pre-injury years. I don't really see supporting him, but I'd be interested to hear your argument.
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#8 » by AEnigma » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:33 pm

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:

Not sold on Artest. I understand the argument - he's got strong career on/off, both RS and PO, and was perhaps the best non-big defender of his generation, but consider this:

In that peak 03-04 season when the Pacers went to the ECF, while he and Jermaine O'Neal had comparable on/off in the RS(Jermaine +6.8, Artest +9.1), in the playoffs Jermaine was all the way up at +10.2, while Artest was down at +1.0 over 15 playoff games. I struggle to call him a 'true star' for that Pacers team. They were an ensemble. Don't forget that that Reggie was still there and put up a +9.8 in the RS, as well as Tinsley with a +10.8 in the RS.

I know you do not actually assess players off single season on/off, so why are we doing this. It would be one thing if you were arguing Jermaine elevated his play in the postseason, but he did not. We have a substantial sample of the two in Indiana where lineups with Artest were consistently better than lineups with Jermaine — but 138 minutes where Artest played without Jermaine in the postseason is swinging your opinion of their worth? I can filter in Reggie too and the same broad trends hold of Pacers lineups faring substantially better with Metta than with Jermaine.

This also rankles me a bit when Issel, Chet, and Mullin were all very much part of ensemble rosters — just generally without that darn playoff on/off which must lead us to conclude Artest was not actually doing as much at his peak.

His box numbers for his career don't have too much going for them - inefficient volume scoring, decent rebounding, and good SPG indicating the obvious, that he was a great defender.

Good thing we can assess based off his defence, and good thing we know that tepid volume scoring still can qualify as a positive offensively (also, you are contrasting him with Jermaine here…).

Still, assuming everyone on the current ballot gets in(and it still seems like Hagan might slip through the cracks), there's only eight spots left, and I think there are quite clearly more than eight players left who have stronger arguments.

Clearly is an interesting word, and I do not think your base for assuming it is remotely strong. Why do you think scorers like Mullin and Chet and Issel are more valuable than a top tier wing defender?

A word about Grant Hill since you nominated him - he has obvious longevity-of-quality issues,

Five seasons as an all-NBA player and at least five more as a productive starter. Again, seems like an odd angle from someone who has said raw longevity is not a major consideration.

and I'm not as high on his peak as some are...

Same, but at this point there are few remaining (with anything approaching ten seasons of meaningful play) who can lay claim to a higher one. I am low on him and think he was still a fringe top five player at his best; when could that be said of Chet or Issel or Mullin (in the case of the former two, keeping in mind the total talent in professional American basketball).

I see a total lack of playoff success,

True. I also see a mostly inept team around him in his prime. Brings us back to, would Garnett not have any argument as a top twenty player without the Boston trade?

as well as negative/red playoff on/off numbers for him, in his Detroit/pre-injury years. I don't really see supporting him, but I'd be interested to hear your argument.

Already touched on some of the playoff on/off approach, although here it is partially deserved because the reason I have always been low on Hill was that I felt his game translated poorly to the postseason.

My primary justification for supporting him here is that even with his postseason slides, I think he offers a lot more than alternatives do. He was not an all-time talent, but he was a wholly exceptional one in a way not true of others this late in the project. Put him in place of Artest and the Pacers might have a title — either in 2004 or because Malice is probably avoided. I have been passively backing Billy Cunningham here, but Billy Cunningham did not exactly do anything that you do not see from Hill. Alex English is a much better scorer than Hill, but Hill is better at almost everything else, and those Nuggets teams could have been a semi-serious contender for… well, a few years. Tatum’s first six years were better than Hill’s first six years, but were they better by enough to just ignore Hill’s 2005-12? James Worthy was a superb secondary / tertiary star, but he actually had an overall shorter career than Hill, and I do not see him leading the Pistons to anything higher than a 7-seed in Hill’s place.

This late in the project, what had been more minor differences in approach can create significant branches. What I want is for people to confront what is leading them to make their choices now, because these differences are not getting smoothed over anymore. Are they going by who was the “best”? Are they going by who was the most “impactful”? Are they going by who added the most “career value”? Are they going by who “accomplished” the most? And with all those approaches, what is the interpretation at play?

I can argue Worthy is the most accomplished because he has three rings and a Finals MVP, but I can also (correctly) argue he was literally never perceived as top ten player and that someone like Bob McAdoo is the only real choice. I can argue Artest was the most impactful based on career RAPM with a certain minimum amount of play, or maybe I can argue for Tatum by removing that minimum. I can say Cheeks has the most career value (just look at PIPM), or Issel (look at win shares!), or Wilkins (look at VORP!), or Carmelo (look at minutes + points!).

My main approach here was to push two names who achieve some general balance across the board. Both Hill and Artest were high impact players (Hill maybe not as much most thought, Artest more than most thought). Both have fine but not great total longevity, and Hill has a solid peak to make up for the shortness of his prime. Hill never won anything but was a third place MVP finisher and a visibly excellent player at his best, while Artest has a DPoY, a ring, and a history of relative success. Neither would likely be #1 on the board by any single approach, so I doubt I will get (m)any takers (although Artest has least has a claim to the RAPM devotees), but they are a decent midpoint for most approaches. I guess you can think of it as a test: if everyone has a different answer who should be taken over them, then maybe they should be the choice after all.

Idk, maybe we should all just do some form of condorcet ranking, but there is a reason that can feel unclear and arbitrary.

Hill ? Cunningham ? Tatum ? McAdoo

How much am I weighing the lower starter years? How I am weighing league environment? How am I weighing accomplishments? How am I weighing perceived quality of play?

Artest ? Worthy ? Walker ? Dandridge

How am I weighing the balance of scoring, playmaking, and defence at the forward position? How I am weighing the success each had? How much do I trust each to lead a team?

English ? Wilkins ? Iguodala ? Carmelo?

What does longevity mean to me? How do I value playstyle against raw production? How do I weigh minutes against adaptability of role?

Fun stuff.
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager

Post#9 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:45 am

AEnigma wrote:
OldSchoolNoBull wrote:

I know you do not actually assess players off single season on/off, so why are we doing this. It would be one thing if you were arguing Jermaine elevated his play in the postseason, but he did not. We have a substantial sample of the two in Indiana where lineups with Artest were consistently better than lineups with Jermaine — but 138 minutes where Artest played without Jermaine in the postseason is swinging your opinion of their worth? I can filter in Reggie too and the same broad trends hold of Pacers lineups faring substantially better with Metta than with Jermaine.

I'm not judging anyone's career worth just from looking at one playoffs; you specifically referred to Artest as being a "true star" in that season, so I was looking at numbers from that season in an attempt to see if I could agree with labeling him as such for that season. I was only using numbers from that season to make a point about that season and nothing else. Artest has a strong RS on/off that season, but it doesn't stand out from the crowd as Reggie and Tinsley are right there with him, and then his on/off falls dramatically in the playoffs.

Your counterpoint about the samples where the Artest lineups did better than the Jermaine lineups is fair, though I haven't seen those samples. And looking further I can also see that Artest had the highest RS+PO RAPM on the team via JE.

Also, I am not sure what the underlined is referring to. Jermaine didn't miss that much time in the 2004 playoffs.

This also rankles me a bit when Issel, Chet, and Mullin were all very much part of ensemble rosters — just generally without that darn playoff on/off which must lead us to conclude Artest was not actually doing as much at his peak.

My use of the word "ensemble" was not meant as a criticism, it was just, again, a response to your use of the phrase "true star". I'm probably getting too hung up on that phrase, but I just felt like those words were a bit hyperbolic for Artest. Nothing wrong with being a high-value piece of an ensemble who isn't quite a star.

Look, I think it's appropriate to discuss Artest at this stage, and I certainly respect what he did, but as I said, I also think that with only eight(or nine if Hagan doesn't make it) more spots to fill, there are enough other players with stronger cases.

Clearly is an interesting word, and I do not think your base for assuming it is remotely strong. Why do you think scorers like Mullin and Chet and Issel are more valuable than a top tier wing defender?

Why do you think the opposite(that a top tier wing defender is more valuable)?

I'm going to make a subsequent post about the players I think have the strongest cases going forward.

A word about Grant Hill since you nominated him - he has obvious longevity-of-quality issues,

Five seasons as an all-NBA player and at least five more as a productive starter. Again, seems like an odd angle from someone who has said raw longevity is not a major consideration.

You know what? After thinking about that for a minute, you're right. He only has six years of being a star, but I'd probably not given his Phoenix years enough credit, so it does look like he has 10-11 meaningfully productive years. So I'll back off on that argument.

Same, but at this point there are few remaining (with anything approaching ten seasons of meaningful play) who can lay claim to a higher one. I am low on him and think he was still a fringe top five player at his best; when could that be said of Chet or Issel or Mullin (in the case of the former two, keeping in mind the total talent in professional American basketball).

I'd take McAdoo, Mullin, maybe Hawkins over him as far as peaks go.

True. I also see a mostly inept team around him in his prime. Brings us back to, would Garnett not have any argument as a top twenty player without the Boston trade?

But wait. While Garnett's tenure in Minnesota did not, on the whole, see much playoff success, Garnett does have 2004, where he not only won the MVP but got the Wolves to the WCF, taking two games off the 2004 Lakers(and some argue that if Cassell hadn't gotten hurt, they just may have won the series), while posting a +26.7 on/off throughout 18 playoff games. Hill doesn't have anything remotely close to that in his prime Detroit years. And while Garnett's supporting cast that year was probably the best he had in Minnesota, it wasn't really THAT much better than what Hill had. Boston might be the reason Garnett made the Top 10 here, but 2004 is also massively important in his story, seeing as it is considered by many to be his peak year.

as well as negative/red playoff on/off numbers for him, in his Detroit/pre-injury years. I don't really see supporting him, but I'd be interested to hear your argument.

Already touched on some of the playoff on/off approach, although here it is partially deserved because the reason I have always been low on Hill was that I felt his game translated poorly to the postseason.

It's had to get past. Most of the other guys I'd be supporting at this stage had some degree of notable playoff performance.

Even Chris Mullin, who had very little playoff success in his prime years, twice knocked off higher seeds(DRob Spurs and Malone/Stockton Jazz), and put up genuine superstar box statlines while doing so.

My primary justification for supporting him here is that even with his postseason slides, I think he offers a lot more than alternatives do. He was not an all-time talent, but he was a wholly exceptional one in a way not true of others this late in the project. Put him in place of Artest and the Pacers might have a title — either in 2004 or because Malice is probably avoided. I have been passively backing Billy Cunningham here, but Billy Cunningham did not exactly do anything that you do not see from Hill. Alex English is a much better scorer than Hill, but Hill is better at almost everything else, and those Nuggets teams could have been a semi-serious contender for… well, a few years. Tatum’s first six years were better than Hill’s first six years, but were they better by enough to just ignore Hill’s 2005-12? James Worthy was a superb secondary / tertiary star, but he actually had an overall shorter career than Hill, and I do not see him leading the Pistons to anything higher than a 7-seed in Hill’s place.

I'd argue that Cunningham was probably a better defender and certainly a better rebounder than Hill(I'm not super high on Cunningham either, but I am supporting him).

English scores on significantly more volume than Hill, but when efficiency is considered, I don't think the scoring gap is as big as you'd think.

Worthy should absolutely be inducted IMO.

This late in the project, what had been more minor differences in approach can create significant branches. What I want is for people to confront what is leading them to make their choices now, because these differences are not getting smoothed over anymore. Are they going by who was the “best”? Are they going by who was the most “impactful”? Are they going by who added the most “career value”? Are they going by who “accomplished” the most? And with all those approaches, what is the interpretation at play?

I can argue Worthy is the most accomplished because he has three rings and a Finals MVP, but I can also (correctly) argue he was literally never perceived as top ten player and that someone like Bob McAdoo is the only real choice. I can argue Artest was the most impactful based on career RAPM with a certain minimum amount of play, or maybe I can argue for Tatum by removing that minimum. I can say Cheeks has the most career value (just look at PIPM), or Issel (look at win shares!), or Wilkins (look at VORP!), or Carmelo (look at minutes + points!).

My main approach here was to push two names who achieve some general balance across the board. Both Hill and Artest were high impact players (Hill maybe not as much most thought, Artest more than most thought). Both have fine but not great total longevity, and Hill has a solid peak to make up for the shortness of his prime. Hill never won anything but was a third place MVP finisher and a visibly excellent player at his best, while Artest has a DPoY, a ring, and a history of relative success. Neither would likely be #1 on the board by any single approach, so I doubt I will get (m)any takers (although Artest has least has a claim to the RAPM devotees), but they are a decent midpoint for most approaches. I guess you can think of it as a test: if everyone has a different answer who should be taken over them, then maybe they should be the choice after all.

Idk, maybe we should all just do some form of condorcet ranking, but there is a reason that can feel unclear and arbitrary.

Hill ? Cunningham ? Tatum ? McAdoo

How much am I weighing the lower starter years? How I am weighing league environment? How am I weighing accomplishments? How am I weighing perceived quality of play?

Artest ? Worthy ? Walker ? Dandridge

How am I weighing the balance of scoring, playmaking, and defence at the forward position? How I am weighing the success each had? How much do I trust each to lead a team?

English ? Wilkins ? Iguodala ? Carmelo?

What does longevity mean to me? How do I value playstyle against raw production? How do I weigh minutes against adaptability of role?

Fun stuff.

I just think the logical consistency you're looking for is very difficult to maintain at this stage of the project.

Players are much closer together in quality than they were in early stages of the project, and virtually all of them have significant flaws. It almost comes down to which flaws you're most comfortable overlooking.

I'll be very honest, from probably #70 or #75 on, I've kind of shifted to a broader way of thinking where my main question is, of those players who aren't inducted yet, who stands out to me, for any reason, the most? And yes, those scorers you mentioned are some of the ones that stand out to me the most.
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#10 » by AEnigma » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:36 am

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:
AEnigma wrote:
OldSchoolNoBull wrote:Not sold on Artest. I understand the argument - he's got strong career on/off, both RS and PO, and was perhaps the best non-big defender of his generation, but consider this:

I'm not judging anyone's career worth just from looking at one playoffs; you specifically referred to Artest as being a "true star" in that season, so I was looking at numbers from that season in an attempt to see if I could agree with labeling him as such for that season. I was only using numbers from that season to make a point about that season and nothing else. Artest has a strong RS on/off that season, but it doesn't stand out from the crowd as Reggie and Tinsley are right there with him, and then his on/off falls dramatically in the playoffs.

Your counterpoint about the samples where the Artest lineups did better than the Jermaine lineups is fair, though I haven't seen those samples. And looking further I can also see that Artest had the highest RS+PO RAPM on the team via JE.

Also, I am not sure what the underlined is referring to. Jermaine didn't miss that much time in the 2004 playoffs.

I am not just looking at 2004 though. There is not really a reason to treat 2004 as some outlier peak spike in performance. He was basically the same player from 2003-08 or so. Same with Jermaine being basically the same 2002-07.

My use of the word "ensemble" was not meant as a criticism, it was just, again, a response to your use of the phrase "true star". I'm probably getting too hung up on that phrase, but I just felt like those words were a bit hyperbolic for Artest. Nothing wrong with being a high-value piece of an ensemble who isn't quite a star.[/quote]
If he does not qualify, then a lot of those lower peak players do not qualify.

Look, I think it's appropriate to discuss Artest at this stage, and I certainly respect what he did, but as I said, I also think that with only eight(or nine if Hagan doesn't make it) more spots to fill, there are enough other players with stronger cases.

You have not really made those cases though, or at least not in a way I would say is any sort of equal assessment.

I do not think it is inherently either one, but Artest has pretty strong support for his value in a way I would not say shows up as clearly for those three (even if part of it is a matter of lessened movement and time missed).

I'd take McAdoo, Mullin, maybe Hawkins over him as far as peaks go

Two of those players had even shorter prime than Hill did, and the other I think is very debatable whether he peaked higher only because of Hill’s lessened playoff effectiveness.

But wait. While Garnett's tenure in Minnesota did not, on the whole, see much playoff success, Garnett does have 2004, where he not only won the MVP but got the Wolves to the WCF, taking two games off the 2004 Lakers(and some argue that if Cassell hadn't gotten hurt, they just may have won the series), while posting a +26.7 on/off throughout 18 playoff games. Hill doesn't have anything remotely close to that in his prime Detroit years. And while Garnett's supporting cast that year was probably the best he had in Minnesota, it wasn't really THAT much better than what Hill had. Boston might be the reason Garnett made the Top 10 here, but 2004 is also massively important in his story, seeing as it is considered by many to be his peak year.

Yeah and that is why Garnett is top 20 and not top 100. One conference final run would make him by far the least successful top 20 player. Throw in the 2010 runner-up and 2012 conference final lead and it is still true.

I'd argue that Cunningham was probably a better defender and certainly a better rebounder than Hill(I'm not super high on Cunningham either, but I am supporting him).

In-era, yes. In the absolute, eh. Will give Cunningham points for effort, and effort matters (easiest criticism of Hill defensively), but playing in the same league I would not qualify defence as an overall advantage for Cunningham. And I am not even high on Hill’s defence the way some are.

I just think the logical consistency you're looking for is very difficult to maintain at this stage of the project.

Players are much closer together in quality than they were in early stages of the project, and virtually all of them have significant flaws. It almost comes down to which flaws you're most comfortable overlooking.

I'll be very honest, from probably #70 or #75 on, I've kind of shifted to a broader way of thinking where my main question is, of those players who aren't inducted yet, who stands out to me, for any reason, the most? And yes, those scorers you mentioned are some of the ones that stand out to me the most.

That is fine enough but then we should be making clear that it is more about the “vibes” of who should be in… and if we are talking “vibes”, I am not seeing why Issel should be anything other than a fringe mention. I am not seeing what makes Mullin a clear yes either.

If I am going with vibes, give me Gus, Cunningham, Wilkins, English, Worthy, Hill, Davies, and McAdoo. Somehow I doubt everyone agrees with that instinctive predilection.
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager

Post#11 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:40 am

So I alluded to this above, but if everyone on the current ballot gets in, we'd have eight spots left to fill, and I wanted to look at who I'd be supporting for those spots. First, I've compiled a list of career average TS Add for all the players we've been talking about who haven't been nominated yet. I understand this is just one stat and it only measures scoring, but here's how it shakes out:

Zelmo Beaty - 123.0
Chet Walker - 117.0
Connie Hawkins - 115.9
Dan Issel - 115.8
Chris Mullin - 112.4
Roger Brown - 94.7
Jeff Hornacek - 93.8
Bob McAdoo - 87.7
Chris Bosh - 79.5
Tiny Archibald - 74.6
Bernard King - 68.0
Terry Porter - 67.8
Bob Davies - 54.2
James Worthy - 53.7
Hal Greer - 50.7
Alex English - 42.1
Luka Doncic - 36.8
Bobby Dandridge - 34.0
Grant Hill - 31.5
Jayson Tatum - 30.9
Billy Cunningham - 19.9
Horace Grant - 12.3
Carmelo Anthony - 3.8
Mel Daniels - -1.9
Dominique Wilkins - -2.2
Chris Webber - -30.0
George McGinnis - -30.3
Ron/Metta Artest - -35.5
Dennis Johnson - -48.9
Gus Williams - -66.5

The fact that three of the guys I'm championing are in the Top 5 only hardens my conviction about them. Scoring is not the only thing that matters, but it does matter, and when you consider that the Top 5 are all within a 10.6 point span, and that #6 is nearly 18 points lower than #5, it looks like these guys are in their own statistical tier as scorers.

Now, there are couple of guys who I want to sort of put an asterisk next to and adjust a bit.

Zelmo is sitting at #1. But the thing is, his ABA years are really inflating his numbers. His average TS Add in the ABA is 197.8, while in the NBA it's 85.6. That's a huge gap. He has two 200+ TS Add years in the ABA that are far beyond anything he ever did in the NBA. You can make what you want of that, but for me, it gives me great pause.

Connie Hawkins has a similar issue, having peaked in his first couple of years in the early ABA.

By contrast, there was little discernible difference in Issel's performance across the two leagues, while Walker and Mullin only played in the NBA. All three were consistently efficient volume scorers and all three had decent-to-good longevity as well - Issel had 15 years, Walker 13, and while Mullin only had 5 years of elite play, he had two solid years before that prime, and four years as a high-end role player at the end, so I'd say that's at least 11 meaningful seasons for him(and I'm big on those role player years adding career value, as opposed to someone like Bernard King). As far as volume scorers go, I take these three over someone like Alex English pretty easily.

Ultimately, my argument is that there is at least one facet of the game that these three were measurably better at than most of the other not-yet-nominated guys. if you were among the best of all the not-yet-nominated players at one of basketball's most important skills for an extended period of time, I think that merits serious consideration.

James Worthy is another one that deserves an adjustment. He's at 53.7, but he had a very sharp drop-off. If you look just at his first eight seasons, the average is 123.0, which would put him on top of the list. So in his prime years, he was one of the elite scorers remaining. We can ask forever if he was just a product of playing with Magic in the Showtime offense, but for those eight years he was a high-level scorer, a legit #2 option from 1987-1990, helped the team get to five Finals and win three titles, and won a Finals MVP. (And if you add 1991, that's another Finals run, though he was already starting to drop off by then.)

Bob McAdoo, #8 on the list, put up monstrous box statlines in his prime and was an important rotation piece on multiple Showtime championship teams later in his career. He's one of only two NBA MVPs not to be inducted yet(Walton is the other) and the only one not to make the ballot yet.

Billy Cunningham is the sixth guy I'm supporting, though I feel less strongly about it than the other five. He played well in both leagues, won an ABA MVP, was an above league-average volume scorer while being a good defender and an elite rebounder for his size. He has that 1967 Sixers ring too.

The last two spots for me are undecided, but guys I'm leaning towards are Gus Williams(for his playoff rising and role on the 78/79 Sonics), Horace Grant and Bobby Dandridge(the winning in multiple contexts thing carries weight with me), Hal Greer(for his role on the 1967 Sixers), Connie Hawkins, Zelmo Beaty, and you know what, Artest in light of AEnigma's arguments.

Going back to the above list, I'll end this by saying that when you look at the guys at the bottom, I do not hold the poor TS Add against the defensive guys like Gus Williams, DJ, Artest, Cunningham, Grant, etc, because that's not their games anyway and they do other things. I hold it more against guys like Melo and Dominique, because this is supposed to be the one thing they're great at.
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager

Post#12 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:28 am

AEnigma wrote:If he does not qualify, then a lot of those lower peak players do not qualify.

Quality for what?

You have not really made those cases though, or at least not in a way I would say is any sort of equal assessment.

I mean, I've done pretty long writeups for Walker and Mullin that I've posted multiple times, but I'll post them again here, along with my shorter Issel writeup(in a spoiler so as not to make the post gigantic):

Spoiler:
Chet Walker
I'm going to add something new before I quote myself re:Chet Walker. I want to look specifically at his 1971-72 season, which statistically is his peak season. He posted a .268 WS/48 RS and 231.1 TS Add, both career highs. This peak season for him also looks like the peak season for that era of the Bulls, as they won 57 games, posting a 7.91 SRS and +7.6 Net Rtg. The Bulls had the third best record in the NBA that season(in a league of 17 teams by then). The only teams ahead of them were the defending champion Bucks and that season's champion Lakers.

But unfortunately for the Bulls, they were in the Western Conference, and the playoffs were shorter, so their first playoff opponent was the 1972 Lakers in all their glory, and they dismantled the Bulls. But I don't think Chet or the Bulls should be punished for not being able to hang with that team, while I do think it's worth noting that that Bulls' era's peak team statistically coincided with Chet's peak statistical season.

And my earlier writeup:

On the 1967 Sixers - often touted as one of the greatest single-season teams ever - he was the second-highest WS/48 on the team after Wilt in both RS and PO - .181 and .201, respectively - and the second-highest TS Add after Wilt - 180.1 - ahead of Hal Greer and Billy Cunningham, both of whom usually get more credit than Walker.

1966-67: 19.3ppg/8.1rpg/2.3apg, 55.7% TS(+6.4 rTS, 180.1 TS Add), .181 WS/48 RS -> 21.7ppg/7.6rpg/2.1apg, 54.6% TS, .201 WS/48 in 15 playoff games

On the 1969 Sixers, after Wilt was gone, Walker was #1 on the team in WS/48 and TS/Add in the regular season on a team that won 55 games and recorded a 4.79 SRS and +4.2 Net Rtg. That team was upset by the Celtics in the first round of the playoffs, but there's no shame in losing to Russell in one of the great last-gasp runs in the history of sports. Walker's individual playoff performance was still solid...he scored fewer points because he got off fewer FGAs, but his efficiency was still where it normally was.

1968-69: 18.0ppg/7.8rpg/1.8apg, 54.8% TS(+5.7 rTS, 155.0 TS Add), .170 WS/48 RS -> 13.5ppg/5.8rpg/2.0apg, 55.9% TS, .132 WS/48 in 4 playoff games

And then he went to Chicago, in Dick Motta's second year there, and was there for six seasons.

No one remembers those Bulls teams because they had the misfortune of playing in the Western Conference in those years and constantly had the Wilt/West Lakers and Kareem/Oscar Bucks in their way.

But Walker was the best player on those teams.

They made the playoffs for six consecutive seasons, going to the WCF in the last two, and getting within a game of the Finals in the last season.

For all six seasons, Walker was #1 on the team in TS Add by a significant margin. In those six seasons, his TS Add was Top 5 in the league twice and Top 10 in the league five times.

69-70 - 143.2(next on team - Bob Love, 82.8), #9 in league
70-71 - 135.7(next on team - Bob Love, 60.3), #11 in league
71-72 - 231.1(next on team - Jim King, 3.7), #3 in league
72-73 - 128.6(next on team - Clifford Ray, 28.1), #7 in league
73-74 - 174.8(next on team - Clifford Ray, 42.8), #5 in league
74-75 - 168.5(next on team - Matt Guokas, 40.4), #7 in league

For five out of six seasons, Walker was #1 on the team in WS/48(the one season he wasn't, he was .004 below #1). In those six seasons, his WS/48 was Top 3 in the league three times, Top 5 4 times, and Top 10 5 times.

69-70 - .172(#10)
70-71 - .178(#11)
71-72 - .268(#2)
72-73 - .213(#3)
73-74 - .191(#5)
74-75 - .205(#3)

I suppose the knock against Walker is that he looked like a playoff faller a bit too often. I concede that his playoff numbers don't look too good from 70-73, but I also caution that those are smaller sample sizes because (for all but one of those years) the Bulls kept running into a Lakers team that just had their number.

And his playoff numbers do look good in 74 and 75 when they went on longer playoff runs. He was #1 on the team in TS/TS Add, WS/48, and BPM in the playoffs in both years, 74 being when they were swept by Kareem and Oscar in the WCF, and 75 being when they lost to the Warriors in 7 in the WCF:

1973-74: 19.3/5.0/2.4, 56.6% TS(+6.3 rTS, 174.8 TS Add), .191 WS/48, 2.6 BPM RS -> 20.9/5.5/1.6, 59.4% TS, .188 WS/48, 3.6 BPM in 11 playoff games
1974-75: 19.2/5.7/2.2, 56.8% TS(+6.6 rTS, 168.5 TS Add), .205 WS/48, 2.5 BPM RS -> 17.5/4.6/1.8, 57.9% TS, 205 WS/48, 3.4 BPM in 13 playoff games

Between those two years and Walker's performance in the 1967 Sixers run, I think he showed up in the playoffs just enough on top of his regular season excellence to warrant a late spot on the list.

One final note - after Walker retired in 1975, the Bulls' 2.88 SRS/+3.1 Net Rtg from 1974-75 - #3/18 in the league on both counts - cratered to -2.89 SRS/-2.9 Net Rtg in 1975-76 - dead last, #18/18 in the league, on both counts. It's true that Jerry Sloan also suffered a knee injury that limited him to just 22 games that season and ended his career, and given that Sloan's WOWY record for that season looks like this:

With Sloan: 8-14(.364)
Without Sloan: 16-44(.266)

that was certainly probaby part of it, but I'm leaning toward the loss of Walker being the primary factor in the drop-off, and I think it's a notable impact signal.

Walker just looks like one of the league's best scorers for nearly a decade between 66-67 and 74-75.

Chris Mullin

I might be biased because he's a guy I grew up watching and I just love his game, but I think prime Mullin is one of the most underappreciated scorers of his era. He wasn't just a shooter, either - at 6'7'/215lbs, he had legit size, he could put the ball on the floor a little, and he was surprisingly crafty/adept at finishing around the rim. He made the Top 100 four times before missing the last two, so I don't think it's too out there to say that I think he deserves to make it back in.

I understand what the arguments against him could/will be - that he lacks longevity as an elite player, that he often didn't seem to lift his team's floor enough, that he didn't have enough playoff success, but I think the argument is there, and I may have gone overboard in articulating it here.

The Five-Year Prime
After having issues with alcohol early in his career, Mullin got sober in 1988, and from 1988-89 until a torn right thumb ligament in February 1993 kicked off a string of injuries and effectively ended his prime, Mullin had a five season run(he played over half the games in 92-93) in which he scored at least 25ppg on at least +4 rTS in each season(the exact rTS are +4.4, +10.6, +8.4, +5.5, and +4.2). I haven't been able to do a comprehensive search, but it seems that not that many players have accomplished that feat, and most of the ones that have have either already been inducted on the 2023 list or were inducted on prior lists.

In 1989, he led the Warriors in WS/48(.165), BPM(4.0), and TS Add(164.0, #12 in the league).
In 1990, he led the Warriors in WS/48(.174), BPM(5.0), and TS Add(322.7, #4 in the league).
In 1991, he led the Warriors in WS/48(.176), BPM(4.7), and TS Add(285.6, #4 in the league).
In 1992, he led the Warriors in WS/48(.155), BPM(3.7), and TS Add(194.2, #7 in the league)
In 1993, when he played 46 games, he slipped a bit - #3 in WS/48(among those who played significant minutes, .122), #2 in BPM(3.3), #1 in TS Add(86.8).

And remember he was playing with Tim Hardaway for four of those seasons and Mitch Richmond for three. It's a very, very good five-year peak. Run TMC is a team remembered for its novelty, and Mullin was their best player, imo(I think Mullin has a better case than Richmond for the Top 100 and probably an equal case with Hardaway, though I'm not as high on Hardaway as others might be).

In addition to the scoring, he also recorded 5+ RPG and 3+ APG in those seasons, and seems to have a reputation as having been a solid man defender, and at the very least box stuff(steals/blocks) supports that.

Playoffs During Prime
Now, the question is the playoffs for those five seasons. I do think the extent to which Mullin might be a playoff faller is overstated. He delivered some great playoff performances during his prime.

WCQF vs Jazz: 32.7ppg/5rpg/5apg/2.0spg on 62.6% TS
Leads the #7 seeded Warriors to an upset 3-0 sweep of the #2 seed, 4.01 SRS/+5.1 Net Rtg Malone/Stockton Jazz

WCSF vs Suns: 27.4ppg/6.4rpg/4.2apg/1.6spg on 60.0% TS
Warriors fall in 5, no shame in losing to that 6.84 SRS 55-win Suns team

The Warriors missed the playoffs by four games, despite it being the first year of Run TMC. Everyone was healthy, so I'm not entirely sure what happened here, besides a glaring lack of rebounding. It seems difficult to blame Mullin for it though, when he put up 25.1ppg/5.9rpg/4.1apg/1.6spg on +10.6 rTS and, as I said before, leading the team in WS/48, BPM, and TS Add.

WCQF vs Spurs: 25.3ppg/7.3rpg/3.5apg/1.8spg/1.3bpg on 62.6% TS
Leads the #7 seeded Warriors to a 3-1 upset over the #2 seed, 4.30 SRS/+4.5 Net Rtg D-Rob Spurs

WCSF vs Lakers: 22.3ppg/7.3rpg/2.3apg/2.0spg/1.8bpg on 61.5% TS
Warriors fall in 5 to Magic and the Finals-bound Lakers, even less shame in losing to them than the 1989 Suns.

(A side note: The Warriors were so deficient on the boards that Mullin's 7.3rpg led the team in the playoffs.)

WCQF vs Sonics: 17.8ppg/3.0rpg/3.0apg/1.3spg on 51.3% TS
A poorer showing vs the Sonics, to be sure, in a 3-1 defeat.

The Warriors missed the playoffs after Mullin only played 46 games.

WCQF vs Suns: 25.3ppg/4.7rpg/3.7apg/1.7bpg on 68.1% TS
After missing the end of 92-93 and the beginning 93-94, Mullin helps Sprewell and Webber to 50 wins and, in his last playoff hurrah as a star, has a big series vs the #3 seeded Barkley Suns that were coming off a Finals appearance. His stellar performance wasn't enough to prevent a sweep.

So Mullin played in 24 playoff games between 1989 and 1994 and, while the team had limited success, he was putting up superstar box statlines for the bulk of it, and in fact led them to two playoff upsets vs fellow Dream Teamers Malone/Stockton and Robinson and also put up a monster statline against fellow dream teamer Barkley in a series loss. It's not as much as you might like to see, but it is something.

There is the question of why the Warriors were always playing from a lower seed, why wasn't their floor being raised higher, but as I alluded to before, I don't think it's fair to pin it on Mullin when the roster the front office constructed had such glaring rebounding and defensive deficiencies and also when they're making questionable trades like Richmond for Owens after the 91 playoffs.

Injury Plagued Years
So anyway, 1993-1996 was an injury-plagued time for Mullin, and the team missed the playoffs three out of four of those seasons, but here are the WOWY breakdowns for those seasons:

92-93(torn right thumb ligament)
20-26(.435) with
14-22(.389) without

93-94(torn ligament in fifth finger on right hand)

39-23(.629) with
11-9(.550) without

Also worth noting that Mullin had a +2.1 on/off in 93-94(via Pollack), which took a dive in 95 and 96(due to his further injuries and the fact that the team just got bad after Webber was traded).

94-95(chip fracture/sprained ligament left knee/sprained left hamstring, and then bruised left ankle)
8-17(.320) with
18-39(.316) without

95-96
24-31(.436) with
12-15(.444) without

I haven't done a deep dive into who else might've been in/out at various times that could've effected the outcomes(other than knowing Hardaway missed all of 93-94), but on the surface it looks like they were marginally better with him as he declined, with that margin shrinking as time went on and his injuries took their toll(also as the team around him got worse).

Last Year With The Warriors

Mullins last season with the Warriors - 1996-97 - was his healthiest season since 1991-92, and signaled the beginning of a late stretch of his career in which he'd re-invent himself as a role player.

He recorded 14.5ppg/4.0rpg/4.1apg/1.6spg, but even though Sprewell and Joe Smith scored on more volume, Mullin was much more efficient and ended up leading the team in TS Add(194.2), WS/48(.124), and BPM(2.8), and shot 41.1% 3P. This may not be saying much, because that Warriors team simply wasn't good, but it does show that Mullin was still a positive contributor at the point despite the diminished role.

Pacers Years
Mullin was dealt to the Pacers in the summer of 1997.

In his first season there - 1997-98 - he played and started all 82 games. Because he was in a smaller role, playing only 26.5mpg, and taking far fewer FGAs than in his prime, his counting stats took a hit - 11.3ppg/3.0rpg/2.3apg/1.2spg - but he shot 44% from 3 and was still #2 on the team - behind Reggie Miller - in TS Add(126.8), WS/48(.168), and BPM(4.3), and #4 on the team in points per 100 possessions(23.3) with a +7.8 on/off on a 6.25 SRS 58-win team.

In the playoffs, he looked like an elite role player for the first two rounds before having a poor shooting series vs the Bulls.

ECQF vs Cavs: 10.5ppg/4.0rpg/1.0apg/1.0spg/1.8bpg on 76.9% TS in 3-1 win
ECSF vs Knicks: 11.0ppg/3.4rpg/2.4apg/1.8spg on 56.7% TS in 4-1 win
ECF vs Bulls: 6.4ppg/3.4rpg/1.0apg on 48.5% TS in 3-4 loss

He had a 3.3 BPM and a -3.3 on/off(looks like that Bulls series really hurt him on that front - credit to Scottie I guess) for the playoffs.

In the lockout-shortened 1999 season, Mullin played and started all 50 games. He put up 10.1ppg/3.2rpg/1.6apg and shot 46.5% from 3 while leading the team in BPM(4.5), and being #2 behind Reggie in TS Add(86.1) and WS/48(.167) with a +5.6 on/off on a 3.86 SRS team that was in a three-way tie for the league's fourth best record.

Similar to 1998, he looked like a very good player in the 1999 playoffs.

ECQF vs Bucks: 11.3ppg/1.3rpg on 63.2% TS in 3-0 sweep
ECSF vs 7ers: 10.0ppg/1.3rpg/1.3apg/1.3spg on 54.8% TS in 4-0 sweep
ECF vs Knicks: 8.3ppg/1.8rpg/1.3apg on 53.5% TS in 2-4 loss

He had a 1.6 BPM and a +2.5 on/off for the playoffs.

He was replaced in the starting lineup with Jalen Rose for 1999-00 and played much less, and hardly at all in their run to the finals(10mpg), and his counting stats are pretty small, but his advanced box stats and on/off speak well of his impact in limited minutes.

.142 WS/48, 3.4 BPM, 59% TS(+6.7 rTS and 40.9% 3P), +2.6 on/off in 12.4mpg in 47 games
.148 WS/48, 3.6 BPM, 60% TS, +5.6 on/off in 10.0mpg in 9 playoff games

He played one more best-forgotten year with the Warriors after that, and that was it.

Conclusion
Mullin had a five-year prime where he was one of the league's elite scorers(again - five consecutive seasons of 25+ppg and 4+ rTS) and solid rebounder to boot, and he put up some superstar playoff performances upsetting higher-seeded teams, even if his own team never got past the second round.

After a string of injury-plagued seasons, he became a high-level role player for the late 90s Pacers. I do think this adds real value to his career, especially in light of certain other players who maybe don't accept a lesser role as gracefully in their later years.

There are reasons to argue against him, but there are players that made the last Top 100 that, like Mullin, are primarily known as volume scorers, but did so much less efficiently while not having much more in the way of playoff success - I'm thinking of Carmelo Anthony here, as well as Dominique. Those two had one 100+ TS Add season each, while Mullin has six(and it would've been seven if he hadn't gotten hurt in 92-93). Like Mullin, Dominique never got past the second round as an alpha, and Melo only did it once in a season where Chauncey Billups was arguably the better player. Melo and Dominique have alpha longevity over Mullin, but the efficiency gap is pretty big.

As a final note - Mullin was on The Dream Team, and there have always been people that say it should've been Dominique(even though he wouldn't have been able to play anyway due to his achilles injury), but I firmly believe it was the right choice, both because of the fit(Mullin could play off-ball and the team needed that release valve guy) and because Mullin was dramatically more efficient in 1990-91 when the selections were being made.

I really think Mullin deserves a spot, and if he doesn't get in, he'd be the only Dream Teamer other than Laettner to miss the cut.

Also, Dan Issel hasn't gotten much discussion yet, so here's my pitch:

1. He's got the highest career RS WS/48 - .181 - of any of the yet-to-be-inducted players we've been discussing and/or who made the 2020 list. I looked at 29 such players(including the five currently on the ballot), and Issel is tops, and that's over fifteen seasons where he never really had a big fall-off.

I don't necessarily think this is the be-all, end-all, by any means, but I do think being #1 on that list at the very least indicates he should be discussed more than he has been.

2. He recorded 11 100+ TS Add seasons(and 2 200+ TS Add seasons) in his 15 year career. Between this and the WS/48 factor, it just seems like he was remarkably consistent.

3. He went to four ABA Finals and won an ABA ring. I know he wasn't #1 on any of those teams(and maybe not even #2 on some), and that the ABA Nuggets were already good when he got there, and that he never got to a single Finals in the NBA, but he still had a fair bit of team success in the ABA, and unless you just think he was consistently in the right place at the right time, you can't ignore it. He did have two additional WCF appearances in the NBA too, winning 6MOY on the second of those teams in his last season.

4. He was amazingly durable. There is almost no WOWY W/L sample of note for him because the guy only missed 24 games in 15 years. It's just a strong longevity/durability combo.

I don't feel as strongly about Issel as I do about Sharman/Walker/Mullin, but I did want to bring him up. Maybe I'm missing something with him.

And I'll add some of trex's response to my Issel post:

trex_8063 wrote:That career .181 WS/48 is while averaging of 34.3 mpg for his 15-year career, too; and as you later pointed out, he was extraordinarily durable over that span, missing just 24 games total in his career (only 13 in his first 13 seasons).

The guy played nearly 42k rs minutes (only five non-inducted players have ever played more).

He's consequently got more career rs WS than any non-inducted player (he's 25th all-time; one has to walk 16 places further down the list to find the next non-inducted player, and another 10 places after that to find the next one after that).

Though I'll also point out he was very efficient in terms of ball control. His career [minus '77] mTOV% is 7.71%, which is very elite among big men. Basically the only ones better in this regard are those that are often referred to as the "GOAT tier" of big-man turnover economies (e.g. LMA, Dirk, Horace Grant, AD, Al Horford).

Overall the Nuggets were reasonably successful in the NBA during his stint. In the nine NBA seasons he was there, they had a winning record and positive SRS six times, AVERAGED 43.7 wins per season [.533 win%] collectively, and made it into the playoffs 7 of 9 years, FOUR times making it past the 1st round (once by automatic berth to the semifinals, by winning at least one series the other years), and [as you said] twice getting to the WCF (not getting swept in either instance, fwiw).

Overall, I view him much like Amare Stoudemire......except with FAR better durability and longevity, and better ball-control. If we're considering someone like Cliff Hagan here, I see absolutely no reason why Dan Issel should not also be considered.

I do not think it is inherently either one, but Artest has pretty strong support for his value in a way I would not say shows up as clearly for those three (even if part of it is a matter of lessened movement and time missed).

IMO those three being three of the Top 5 scorers by TS Add yet to be nominated is supportive of their value. Maybe you disagree.

But I think you're looking for WOWY stuff. Issel and Walker barely missed any games. Walker does have the impact signal of the Bulls collapsing when he retired. And Mullin's WOWY records(they're in the writeup in the spoiler tag) during his injury-plagued years look decent.

In-era, yes. In the absolute, eh. Will give Cunningham points for effort, and effort matters (easiest criticism of Hill defensively), but playing in the same league I would not qualify defence as an overall advantage for Cunningham. And I am not even high on Hill’s defence the way some are.

As an era-relativist, everything is in-era for me. But also, Cunningham's value has to be coming from somewhere, and his scoring efficiency is only a little above average.

That is fine enough but then we should be making clear that it is more about the “vibes” of who should be in… and if we are talking “vibes”, I am not seeing why Issel should be anything other than a fringe mention. I am not seeing what makes Mullin a clear yes either.

If I am going with vibes, give me Gus, Cunningham, Wilkins, English, Worthy, Hill, Davies, and McAdoo. Somehow I doubt everyone agrees with that instinctive predilection.

That is not what I said...that's reductive. It's not about 'vibes'. I said, who stands out to me, for any reason, the most. Any reason includes actual statistical reasons, or team success reasons. It's not a gut feeling and it's not about cultural relevance either.

Mullin/Walker/Issel stand out because they're all among the most effective volume scorers, based on TS Add, of anyone left.

Worthy stands out because of his outstanding scoring efficiency during his eight-year prime and for his team accomplishments as part of Showtime.

McAdoo stands out because he won an MVP in his prime and rings in his post-prime, and because of his monster box stats in Buffalo.

Cunningham stands out because he was productive in a number of ways, played well in both leagues, won a ring in the NBA and an MVP in the ABA.

Grant and Dandridge stand out because they won in multiple contexts.

Gus Williams stands out because he was a huge playoff riser on a championship team.

If it was just 'vibes', I'd be inclined to support Dominique, but I'm not really supporting him atm. Same for Hill.
LA Bird
Analyst
And1: 3,145

Post#13 » by LA Bird » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:02 am

Been super busy lately so I'll just copy paste from before. Might add a nomination vote later.

Vote: Bill Walton

Walton is one of the most polarizing player on all time rankings so I don't really expect this writeup to change the minds of most voters. But I did switched sides myself so maybe one or two of you might also join me in the Walton camp after reading this.

The first thing with Walton is the number of seasons. Many will immediately disqualify him from a career list because he played too little but not all seasons are equal. Like LeBron said, 2 points isn't always 2 points. Similarly, 2 seasons isn't always 2 seasons. ElGee's CORP method has become quite popular on this board but I don't think many still grasp the difference between an all time level peak like Walton's and 'regular' superstars. If we refer to the graph below, the equivalent of a +7 season is about 3 seasons in the top 10, 4.5 seasons as an All Star, or 10+ seasons as an average starter. Walton's short peak loses him the debate against any elite player with a sustained peak but those guys have all been voted in a long time ago. We have reached a point in the project where some of the candidates were rarely or even never top 10 in any season. Rodman was inducted recently - how many top 10 and All Star level seasons did he have in his career? How about Horford who is likely to be nominated soon? The number of seasons matter in a career comparison but so does the value of each season.

Estimating peak Walton as a +7 player might seem high but arguments for his impact at his peak is pretty ironclad. He was the clear leader on both offense and defense for a title team that completely fell apart without him. Walton is the WOWY GOAT in ElGee's dataset with a +10 net difference in 77/78 (raw MOV change without any teammate adjustment is even higher at +12) and he is ~100th percentile in Moonbeam's RWOWY graphs. Furthermore, the team's second best player was another big in Maurice Lucas, and they had a good backup center in Tom Owens so there is no question either if Walton's impact metrics were inflated by poor replacements. He is arguably the best passing center besides Jokic, one of the top 3 defensive rebounders ever by era-relative percentage (which synergizes perfectly with his outlet passing), and he is among the GOAT defensive players. Walton's skillset checks all the boxes you would expect from an impact monster and he has the numbers to back it up too. And since this is a career not peak list, I should also point out Walton consistently had massive impact outside of his peak years.

This is often overlooked but Walton actually played more than just 77/78/86. Obviously, him missing the 79-82 seasons is a giant red flag but unless we are penalizing players for missed potential, those years just get a zero from me. Now, from the team's point of view, was he a negative contract because he was getting paid a lot for nothing? Of course. But salaries and contracts are not a consideration in this project. The best player and the best player relative to salary (ie the most underpaid) are separate topics. Moving on to the seasons where Walton actually played over half the games, we get 76/84/85, three more years where he averaged 58 games per season. It is not a lot of games but we normally still count seasons of that length for other players. For example, 96/97/98 Shaq over three years averaged 55 games per season and I don't believe anybody is writing off those years because he didn't hit a threshold in games played. Such seasons get valued less than full 82 game seasons but they still usually get some credit.

Other than the numbers of games, the next thing with non-peak Walton is his minutes per game. He did play less but I think there is too much emphasis on the number of minutes itself rather than his impact in those minutes. Which, if we are being honest, seems a bit inconsistent for a board that already voted for a career 6th man in Ginobili at #39 because of his high impact in low minutes. Looking at samples with more than 10 games, Walton's raw WOWY scores were consistently quite strong even during his non-peak years (outside of an ugly rookie season)

Walton WOWY (MOV)
1975: -5.0
1976: +3.7
1980: +4.9
1983: +5.9
1984: +4.7
1985: +2.7

By the same measure, Dantley had 3 prime seasons with a negative raw WOWY (1980: -0.1, 1983: -2.0, 1988: -2.0) and Hagan, as trex_8063 pointed out before, often saw his teams perform better without him too. In other words, if we remove any preconceptions about his health, these forgotten years of Walton still provided more lift for his team than prime Dantley and Hagan did. The box scores are not as favorable to Walton but then again, his box score stats were never that impressive even at his peak. Still, a 13/10/3 slash line is comparable to some of the prime seasons of non-scorers like Unseld and Draymond. Walton is often penalized for having a GOAT-level peak because seasons which would otherwise be viewed as prime for lesser players get written off as meaningless for him, which in turn makes his already short career look even shorter than it really is.

1986 is the only non-peak season of Walton that gets any recognition but it is still underrated in my opinion. Winning 6MOY is nice but it relegates him to a mere footnote as just a good bench player when his impact was so much more. The Celtics saw a bigger jump after adding Walton than the Sixers did with Moses or the Warriors with Durant.

Celtics RS SRS / PO Relative Rating
1984: +6.4 / +6.9
1985: +6.5 / +5.8
1986: +9.1 / +13.1
1987: +6.6 / +3.5
1988: +6.2 / +4.7

The Walton team stands far above the rest despite the starters in 86 playing fewer minutes than in 85 and 87. The only other roster change in 86 was swapping Quinn Buckner for Jerry Sichting but that doesn't explain the improvement on defense or why the team fell back down to earth in 87 with Sichting still playing. Walton was the difference maker that elevated the Celtics from great to GOAT team status. I am guessing Walton's naysayers will still bring up his low minutes off the bench as rebuttal but focusing on minutes alone is pointless without evaluating his contribution in those minutes. There is no guarantee that a 40 minute starter would have more impact than a 20 minute reserve just because he played more. And once we move pass the labels, it's obvious to see how big of a difference Walton made to the Celtics.

TLDR
• Walton's peak is so much higher that one season from him is equal to the top 3 or more seasons of the other candidates.
• His non-peak impact signals are still better than prime Dantley, Hagan and he had 3 of those years averaging at ~60 games.
• He added All Star level lift to the Celtics as a ceiling raiser despite overlapping with an existing All Star at the same position.
penbeast0

Post#14 » by penbeast0 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:47 pm

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:
AEnigma wrote:If he does not qualify, then a lot of those lower peak players do not qualify.

Quality for what?

I mean, I've done pretty long writeups for Walker and Mullin that I've posted multiple times, but I'll post them again here, along with my shorter Issel writeup(in a spoiler so as not to make the post gigantic):

Spoiler:
Chet Walker
I'm going to add something new before I quote myself re:Chet Walker. I want to look specifically at his 1971-72 season, which statistically is his peak season. He posted a .268 WS/48 RS and 231.1 TS Add, both career highs. This peak season for him also looks like the peak season for that era of the Bulls, as they won 57 games, posting a 7.91 SRS and +7.6 Net Rtg. The Bulls had the third best record in the NBA that season(in a league of 17 teams by then). The only teams ahead of them were the defending champion Bucks and that season's champion Lakers.

But unfortunately for the Bulls, they were in the Western Conference, and the playoffs were shorter, so their first playoff opponent was the 1972 Lakers in all their glory, and they dismantled the Bulls. But I don't think Chet or the Bulls should be punished for not being able to hang with that team, while I do think it's worth noting that that Bulls' era's peak team statistically coincided with Chet's peak statistical season.

And my earlier writeup:

On the 1967 Sixers - often touted as one of the greatest single-season teams ever - he was the second-highest WS/48 on the team after Wilt in both RS and PO - .181 and .201, respectively - and the second-highest TS Add after Wilt - 180.1 - ahead of Hal Greer and Billy Cunningham, both of whom usually get more credit than Walker.

1966-67: 19.3ppg/8.1rpg/2.3apg, 55.7% TS(+6.4 rTS, 180.1 TS Add), .181 WS/48 RS -> 21.7ppg/7.6rpg/2.1apg, 54.6% TS, .201 WS/48 in 15 playoff games

On the 1969 Sixers, after Wilt was gone, Walker was #1 on the team in WS/48 and TS/Add in the regular season on a team that won 55 games and recorded a 4.79 SRS and +4.2 Net Rtg. That team was upset by the Celtics in the first round of the playoffs, but there's no shame in losing to Russell in one of the great last-gasp runs in the history of sports. Walker's individual playoff performance was still solid...he scored fewer points because he got off fewer FGAs, but his efficiency was still where it normally was.

1968-69: 18.0ppg/7.8rpg/1.8apg, 54.8% TS(+5.7 rTS, 155.0 TS Add), .170 WS/48 RS -> 13.5ppg/5.8rpg/2.0apg, 55.9% TS, .132 WS/48 in 4 playoff games

And then he went to Chicago, in Dick Motta's second year there, and was there for six seasons.

No one remembers those Bulls teams because they had the misfortune of playing in the Western Conference in those years and constantly had the Wilt/West Lakers and Kareem/Oscar Bucks in their way.

But Walker was the best player on those teams.

They made the playoffs for six consecutive seasons, going to the WCF in the last two, and getting within a game of the Finals in the last season.

For all six seasons, Walker was #1 on the team in TS Add by a significant margin. In those six seasons, his TS Add was Top 5 in the league twice and Top 10 in the league five times.

69-70 - 143.2(next on team - Bob Love, 82.8), #9 in league
70-71 - 135.7(next on team - Bob Love, 60.3), #11 in league
71-72 - 231.1(next on team - Jim King, 3.7), #3 in league
72-73 - 128.6(next on team - Clifford Ray, 28.1), #7 in league
73-74 - 174.8(next on team - Clifford Ray, 42.8), #5 in league
74-75 - 168.5(next on team - Matt Guokas, 40.4), #7 in league

For five out of six seasons, Walker was #1 on the team in WS/48(the one season he wasn't, he was .004 below #1). In those six seasons, his WS/48 was Top 3 in the league three times, Top 5 4 times, and Top 10 5 times.

69-70 - .172(#10)
70-71 - .178(#11)
71-72 - .268(#2)
72-73 - .213(#3)
73-74 - .191(#5)
74-75 - .205(#3)

I suppose the knock against Walker is that he looked like a playoff faller a bit too often. I concede that his playoff numbers don't look too good from 70-73, but I also caution that those are smaller sample sizes because (for all but one of those years) the Bulls kept running into a Lakers team that just had their number.

And his playoff numbers do look good in 74 and 75 when they went on longer playoff runs. He was #1 on the team in TS/TS Add, WS/48, and BPM in the playoffs in both years, 74 being when they were swept by Kareem and Oscar in the WCF, and 75 being when they lost to the Warriors in 7 in the WCF:

1973-74: 19.3/5.0/2.4, 56.6% TS(+6.3 rTS, 174.8 TS Add), .191 WS/48, 2.6 BPM RS -> 20.9/5.5/1.6, 59.4% TS, .188 WS/48, 3.6 BPM in 11 playoff games
1974-75: 19.2/5.7/2.2, 56.8% TS(+6.6 rTS, 168.5 TS Add), .205 WS/48, 2.5 BPM RS -> 17.5/4.6/1.8, 57.9% TS, 205 WS/48, 3.4 BPM in 13 playoff games

Between those two years and Walker's performance in the 1967 Sixers run, I think he showed up in the playoffs just enough on top of his regular season excellence to warrant a late spot on the list.

One final note - after Walker retired in 1975, the Bulls' 2.88 SRS/+3.1 Net Rtg from 1974-75 - #3/18 in the league on both counts - cratered to -2.89 SRS/-2.9 Net Rtg in 1975-76 - dead last, #18/18 in the league, on both counts. It's true that Jerry Sloan also suffered a knee injury that limited him to just 22 games that season and ended his career, and given that Sloan's WOWY record for that season looks like this:

With Sloan: 8-14(.364)
Without Sloan: 16-44(.266)

that was certainly probaby part of it, but I'm leaning toward the loss of Walker being the primary factor in the drop-off, and I think it's a notable impact signal.

Walker just looks like one of the league's best scorers for nearly a decade between 66-67 and 74-75.

Chris Mullin

I might be biased because he's a guy I grew up watching and I just love his game, but I think prime Mullin is one of the most underappreciated scorers of his era. He wasn't just a shooter, either - at 6'7'/215lbs, he had legit size, he could put the ball on the floor a little, and he was surprisingly crafty/adept at finishing around the rim. He made the Top 100 four times before missing the last two, so I don't think it's too out there to say that I think he deserves to make it back in.

I understand what the arguments against him could/will be - that he lacks longevity as an elite player, that he often didn't seem to lift his team's floor enough, that he didn't have enough playoff success, but I think the argument is there, and I may have gone overboard in articulating it here.

The Five-Year Prime
After having issues with alcohol early in his career, Mullin got sober in 1988, and from 1988-89 until a torn right thumb ligament in February 1993 kicked off a string of injuries and effectively ended his prime, Mullin had a five season run(he played over half the games in 92-93) in which he scored at least 25ppg on at least +4 rTS in each season(the exact rTS are +4.4, +10.6, +8.4, +5.5, and +4.2). I haven't been able to do a comprehensive search, but it seems that not that many players have accomplished that feat, and most of the ones that have have either already been inducted on the 2023 list or were inducted on prior lists.

In 1989, he led the Warriors in WS/48(.165), BPM(4.0), and TS Add(164.0, #12 in the league).
In 1990, he led the Warriors in WS/48(.174), BPM(5.0), and TS Add(322.7, #4 in the league).
In 1991, he led the Warriors in WS/48(.176), BPM(4.7), and TS Add(285.6, #4 in the league).
In 1992, he led the Warriors in WS/48(.155), BPM(3.7), and TS Add(194.2, #7 in the league)
In 1993, when he played 46 games, he slipped a bit - #3 in WS/48(among those who played significant minutes, .122), #2 in BPM(3.3), #1 in TS Add(86.8).

And remember he was playing with Tim Hardaway for four of those seasons and Mitch Richmond for three. It's a very, very good five-year peak. Run TMC is a team remembered for its novelty, and Mullin was their best player, imo(I think Mullin has a better case than Richmond for the Top 100 and probably an equal case with Hardaway, though I'm not as high on Hardaway as others might be).

In addition to the scoring, he also recorded 5+ RPG and 3+ APG in those seasons, and seems to have a reputation as having been a solid man defender, and at the very least box stuff(steals/blocks) supports that.

Playoffs During Prime
Now, the question is the playoffs for those five seasons. I do think the extent to which Mullin might be a playoff faller is overstated. He delivered some great playoff performances during his prime.

WCQF vs Jazz: 32.7ppg/5rpg/5apg/2.0spg on 62.6% TS
Leads the #7 seeded Warriors to an upset 3-0 sweep of the #2 seed, 4.01 SRS/+5.1 Net Rtg Malone/Stockton Jazz

WCSF vs Suns: 27.4ppg/6.4rpg/4.2apg/1.6spg on 60.0% TS
Warriors fall in 5, no shame in losing to that 6.84 SRS 55-win Suns team

The Warriors missed the playoffs by four games, despite it being the first year of Run TMC. Everyone was healthy, so I'm not entirely sure what happened here, besides a glaring lack of rebounding. It seems difficult to blame Mullin for it though, when he put up 25.1ppg/5.9rpg/4.1apg/1.6spg on +10.6 rTS and, as I said before, leading the team in WS/48, BPM, and TS Add.

WCQF vs Spurs: 25.3ppg/7.3rpg/3.5apg/1.8spg/1.3bpg on 62.6% TS
Leads the #7 seeded Warriors to a 3-1 upset over the #2 seed, 4.30 SRS/+4.5 Net Rtg D-Rob Spurs

WCSF vs Lakers: 22.3ppg/7.3rpg/2.3apg/2.0spg/1.8bpg on 61.5% TS
Warriors fall in 5 to Magic and the Finals-bound Lakers, even less shame in losing to them than the 1989 Suns.

(A side note: The Warriors were so deficient on the boards that Mullin's 7.3rpg led the team in the playoffs.)

WCQF vs Sonics: 17.8ppg/3.0rpg/3.0apg/1.3spg on 51.3% TS
A poorer showing vs the Sonics, to be sure, in a 3-1 defeat.

The Warriors missed the playoffs after Mullin only played 46 games.

WCQF vs Suns: 25.3ppg/4.7rpg/3.7apg/1.7bpg on 68.1% TS
After missing the end of 92-93 and the beginning 93-94, Mullin helps Sprewell and Webber to 50 wins and, in his last playoff hurrah as a star, has a big series vs the #3 seeded Barkley Suns that were coming off a Finals appearance. His stellar performance wasn't enough to prevent a sweep.

So Mullin played in 24 playoff games between 1989 and 1994 and, while the team had limited success, he was putting up superstar box statlines for the bulk of it, and in fact led them to two playoff upsets vs fellow Dream Teamers Malone/Stockton and Robinson and also put up a monster statline against fellow dream teamer Barkley in a series loss. It's not as much as you might like to see, but it is something.

There is the question of why the Warriors were always playing from a lower seed, why wasn't their floor being raised higher, but as I alluded to before, I don't think it's fair to pin it on Mullin when the roster the front office constructed had such glaring rebounding and defensive deficiencies and also when they're making questionable trades like Richmond for Owens after the 91 playoffs.

Injury Plagued Years
So anyway, 1993-1996 was an injury-plagued time for Mullin, and the team missed the playoffs three out of four of those seasons, but here are the WOWY breakdowns for those seasons:

92-93(torn right thumb ligament)
20-26(.435) with
14-22(.389) without

93-94(torn ligament in fifth finger on right hand)

39-23(.629) with
11-9(.550) without

Also worth noting that Mullin had a +2.1 on/off in 93-94(via Pollack), which took a dive in 95 and 96(due to his further injuries and the fact that the team just got bad after Webber was traded).

94-95(chip fracture/sprained ligament left knee/sprained left hamstring, and then bruised left ankle)
8-17(.320) with
18-39(.316) without

95-96
24-31(.436) with
12-15(.444) without

I haven't done a deep dive into who else might've been in/out at various times that could've effected the outcomes(other than knowing Hardaway missed all of 93-94), but on the surface it looks like they were marginally better with him as he declined, with that margin shrinking as time went on and his injuries took their toll(also as the team around him got worse).

Last Year With The Warriors

Mullins last season with the Warriors - 1996-97 - was his healthiest season since 1991-92, and signaled the beginning of a late stretch of his career in which he'd re-invent himself as a role player.

He recorded 14.5ppg/4.0rpg/4.1apg/1.6spg, but even though Sprewell and Joe Smith scored on more volume, Mullin was much more efficient and ended up leading the team in TS Add(194.2), WS/48(.124), and BPM(2.8), and shot 41.1% 3P. This may not be saying much, because that Warriors team simply wasn't good, but it does show that Mullin was still a positive contributor at the point despite the diminished role.

Pacers Years
Mullin was dealt to the Pacers in the summer of 1997.

In his first season there - 1997-98 - he played and started all 82 games. Because he was in a smaller role, playing only 26.5mpg, and taking far fewer FGAs than in his prime, his counting stats took a hit - 11.3ppg/3.0rpg/2.3apg/1.2spg - but he shot 44% from 3 and was still #2 on the team - behind Reggie Miller - in TS Add(126.8), WS/48(.168), and BPM(4.3), and #4 on the team in points per 100 possessions(23.3) with a +7.8 on/off on a 6.25 SRS 58-win team.

In the playoffs, he looked like an elite role player for the first two rounds before having a poor shooting series vs the Bulls.

ECQF vs Cavs: 10.5ppg/4.0rpg/1.0apg/1.0spg/1.8bpg on 76.9% TS in 3-1 win
ECSF vs Knicks: 11.0ppg/3.4rpg/2.4apg/1.8spg on 56.7% TS in 4-1 win
ECF vs Bulls: 6.4ppg/3.4rpg/1.0apg on 48.5% TS in 3-4 loss

He had a 3.3 BPM and a -3.3 on/off(looks like that Bulls series really hurt him on that front - credit to Scottie I guess) for the playoffs.

In the lockout-shortened 1999 season, Mullin played and started all 50 games. He put up 10.1ppg/3.2rpg/1.6apg and shot 46.5% from 3 while leading the team in BPM(4.5), and being #2 behind Reggie in TS Add(86.1) and WS/48(.167) with a +5.6 on/off on a 3.86 SRS team that was in a three-way tie for the league's fourth best record.

Similar to 1998, he looked like a very good player in the 1999 playoffs.

ECQF vs Bucks: 11.3ppg/1.3rpg on 63.2% TS in 3-0 sweep
ECSF vs 7ers: 10.0ppg/1.3rpg/1.3apg/1.3spg on 54.8% TS in 4-0 sweep
ECF vs Knicks: 8.3ppg/1.8rpg/1.3apg on 53.5% TS in 2-4 loss

He had a 1.6 BPM and a +2.5 on/off for the playoffs.

He was replaced in the starting lineup with Jalen Rose for 1999-00 and played much less, and hardly at all in their run to the finals(10mpg), and his counting stats are pretty small, but his advanced box stats and on/off speak well of his impact in limited minutes.

.142 WS/48, 3.4 BPM, 59% TS(+6.7 rTS and 40.9% 3P), +2.6 on/off in 12.4mpg in 47 games
.148 WS/48, 3.6 BPM, 60% TS, +5.6 on/off in 10.0mpg in 9 playoff games

He played one more best-forgotten year with the Warriors after that, and that was it.

Conclusion
Mullin had a five-year prime where he was one of the league's elite scorers(again - five consecutive seasons of 25+ppg and 4+ rTS) and solid rebounder to boot, and he put up some superstar playoff performances upsetting higher-seeded teams, even if his own team never got past the second round.

After a string of injury-plagued seasons, he became a high-level role player for the late 90s Pacers. I do think this adds real value to his career, especially in light of certain other players who maybe don't accept a lesser role as gracefully in their later years.

There are reasons to argue against him, but there are players that made the last Top 100 that, like Mullin, are primarily known as volume scorers, but did so much less efficiently while not having much more in the way of playoff success - I'm thinking of Carmelo Anthony here, as well as Dominique. Those two had one 100+ TS Add season each, while Mullin has six(and it would've been seven if he hadn't gotten hurt in 92-93). Like Mullin, Dominique never got past the second round as an alpha, and Melo only did it once in a season where Chauncey Billups was arguably the better player. Melo and Dominique have alpha longevity over Mullin, but the efficiency gap is pretty big.

As a final note - Mullin was on The Dream Team, and there have always been people that say it should've been Dominique(even though he wouldn't have been able to play anyway due to his achilles injury), but I firmly believe it was the right choice, both because of the fit(Mullin could play off-ball and the team needed that release valve guy) and because Mullin was dramatically more efficient in 1990-91 when the selections were being made.

I really think Mullin deserves a spot, and if he doesn't get in, he'd be the only Dream Teamer other than Laettner to miss the cut.

Also, Dan Issel hasn't gotten much discussion yet, so here's my pitch:

1. He's got the highest career RS WS/48 - .181 - of any of the yet-to-be-inducted players we've been discussing and/or who made the 2020 list. I looked at 29 such players(including the five currently on the ballot), and Issel is tops, and that's over fifteen seasons where he never really had a big fall-off.

I don't necessarily think this is the be-all, end-all, by any means, but I do think being #1 on that list at the very least indicates he should be discussed more than he has been.

2. He recorded 11 100+ TS Add seasons(and 2 200+ TS Add seasons) in his 15 year career. Between this and the WS/48 factor, it just seems like he was remarkably consistent.

3. He went to four ABA Finals and won an ABA ring. I know he wasn't #1 on any of those teams(and maybe not even #2 on some), and that the ABA Nuggets were already good when he got there, and that he never got to a single Finals in the NBA, but he still had a fair bit of team success in the ABA, and unless you just think he was consistently in the right place at the right time, you can't ignore it. He did have two additional WCF appearances in the NBA too, winning 6MOY on the second of those teams in his last season.

4. He was amazingly durable. There is almost no WOWY W/L sample of note for him because the guy only missed 24 games in 15 years. It's just a strong longevity/durability combo.

I don't feel as strongly about Issel as I do about Sharman/Walker/Mullin, but I did want to bring him up. Maybe I'm missing something with him.

And I'll add some of trex's response to my Issel post:

trex_8063 wrote:That career .181 WS/48 is while averaging of 34.3 mpg for his 15-year career, too; and as you later pointed out, he was extraordinarily durable over that span, missing just 24 games total in his career (only 13 in his first 13 seasons).

The guy played nearly 42k rs minutes (only five non-inducted players have ever played more).

He's consequently got more career rs WS than any non-inducted player (he's 25th all-time; one has to walk 16 places further down the list to find the next non-inducted player, and another 10 places after that to find the next one after that).

Though I'll also point out he was very efficient in terms of ball control. His career [minus '77] mTOV% is 7.71%, which is very elite among big men. Basically the only ones better in this regard are those that are often referred to as the "GOAT tier" of big-man turnover economies (e.g. LMA, Dirk, Horace Grant, AD, Al Horford).

Overall the Nuggets were reasonably successful in the NBA during his stint. In the nine NBA seasons he was there, they had a winning record and positive SRS six times, AVERAGED 43.7 wins per season [.533 win%] collectively, and made it into the playoffs 7 of 9 years, FOUR times making it past the 1st round (once by automatic berth to the semifinals, by winning at least one series the other years), and [as you said] twice getting to the WCF (not getting swept in either instance, fwiw).

Overall, I view him much like Amare Stoudemire......except with FAR better durability and longevity, and better ball-control. If we're considering someone like Cliff Hagan here, I see absolutely no reason why Dan Issel should not also be considered.

IMO those three being three of the Top 5 scorers by TS Add yet to be nominated is supportive of their value. Maybe you disagree.

But I think you're looking for WOWY stuff. Issel and Walker barely missed any games. Walker does have the impact signal of the Bulls collapsing when he retired. And Mullin's WOWY records(they're in the writeup in the spoiler tag) during his injury-plagued years look decent.

As an era-relativist, everything is in-era for me. But also, Cunningham's value has to be coming from somewhere, and his scoring efficiency is only a little above average.

That is not what I said...that's reductive. It's not about 'vibes'. I said, who stands out to me, for any reason, the most. Any reason includes actual statistical reasons, or team success reasons. It's not a gut feeling and it's not about cultural relevance either.

Mullin/Walker/Issel stand out because they're all among the most effective volume scorers, based on TS Add, of anyone left.

Worthy stands out because of his outstanding scoring efficiency during his eight-year prime and for his team accomplishments as part of Showtime.

McAdoo stands out because he won an MVP in his prime and rings in his post-prime, and because of his monster box stats in Buffalo.

Cunningham stands out because he was productive in a number of ways, played well in both leagues, won a ring in the NBA and an MVP in the ABA.

Gus Williams stands out because he was a huge playoff riser on a championship team.

If it was just 'vibes', I'd be inclined to support Dominique, but I'm not really supporting him atm. Same for Hill.

If it's any help, Chet Walker was considered a plus defender, better man defender than help defender, but in the Billy Cunningham type category of a guy who put in the work on both ends of the court. So were most of the other names you mention except Mullin, McAdoo, Issel, and Nique though, as you said, opinions on Grant Hill's defense varied widely.
eminence
RealGM

Post#15 » by eminence » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:12 pm

In a post a couple above TS Add is being used as too strong of a proxy for 'scoring goodness' for my tastes. It's a useful stat comparing guys in similar roles, but not so much across roles. I would absolutely take the primary offensive guys at league average-ish efficiency over the efficient secondary guys, let alone tertiary guys. As an exaggerated example from the current Wolves (primary vs tertiary): Edwards >>> impact than Gobert as a scorer, and generally is having a high level of offensive impact despite mediocre scoring efficiency.
I bought a boat.
penbeast0

Post#16 » by penbeast0 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:07 pm

It would depend on how efficient and how much scoring difference we are talking about for me. I'd much rather have an efficient secondary scorer than an inefficient primary scorer (rather than neutral as in your example) and generally I'd assume that a primary scorer significantly below league average efficiency I tend to take as a negative.
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#17 » by AEnigma » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:09 pm

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:

Quality for what?

Qualify as a true star. I think Artest was an all-NBA level player at his peak, but if the bar needs to be higher than that, we are left with only lower-end MVP candidates like Hill and McAdoo.

I would not say anything relying that heavily on win shares is an equal assessment. Posting the TS Added metric is not too distinct from what you end up doing with win shares based on how the win share formula works; maybe throw in a bonus for rebounds and/or playing on a team with a lot of expected wins. This time at least you specify you used TS Add just to assess the scorers, and that alone is already a more fair and context-minded approach.

I think that is assumed value because you do not know how their other skills (or lack thereof) affect their team.

It also is just one skill using an approach that definitionally could apply anywhere. What about the top five rebounders yet to be nominated? Top five passers? Top five rim protectors?

The more holistic value analysis you did for Chet I think overstated his case (Thurmond also dropped off from starter level) to get a relatively typical +12 win percentage, and for Mullin I generally would say it does not reflect well outright (you can argue wing overlap, but that is mostly just a means to under-emphasise the weakness of those impact indicators). Perhaps those values feel fine to you, but by comparison they are either normal or outright weak.

As for Issel, while did not miss time (to his credit), he did change teams. He joined the Colonels in 1971, and in what was arguably the best season of his career relative to his league environment, the team did not look all that different. Not totally holding it against him because of how much non-Pacers teams shifted in that time, but it is not an impressive signal. He has a decent signal when he leaves the Colonels… but then he does not really seem to improve the Nuggets much (if any) from their prior year. In the back years of his career, the team improves as he ages and then is only a point worse after he retires outright. Much like the rookie year, nothing damning, and in this case not even unexpected with the team makeup, but it is also not much of an argument for him in the fact of criticisms of how his mediocre to poor frontcourt defence limited Denver.

I agree, Cunningham was great in-era. If you care to join Samurai, we should be able to nominate him. But then I have questions about this era-relative process, getting back to a standard by which you are voting for three guys who were not exactly true standout talents.

But Dominique was a standout in scoring volume and, as Trex pointed out, MVP shares (also VORP, although I will not be encouraging that approach). Hill was a standout as an all-NBA talent (4th, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th among forwards in his prime, only topped by Malone across those five seasons)

This kind-of plays exactly to my point: if we are not following strict rules, and most of us have not been (although the more CORP-minded people are a bit closer to doing so), then the branches we decide to elevate and emphasise this late in the project are a matter of vibes. And that is fine. If your list ends up being how it plays out, I would object to Issel and Mullin going through at the exclusion of two of English, Dominique, Davies, and Beaty (more Issel specific), but overall I think it would make for a respectable list covering the history of the league. However, there are clearly arbitrary cutoffs in your approach. You say you are exclusively era relative, but then you show minimal consideration to Bob Davies as the league’s best pre-Cousy guard (and some would argue best pre-Oscar guard). You emphasise success but then manage to fit in Mullin and list Issel ahead of Beaty.

And the funny thing with how we otherwise broadly agree on the approach to be taken is that those exceptions are the players about whom you feel most strongly. :lol: We could be pushing Cunningham with Samurai right now, and I think I at least will edit to jump in with Samurai on that, but instead you are busy tying yourself to Chris Mullin.
eminence
RealGM

Post#18 » by eminence » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:47 pm

penbeast0 wrote:It would depend on how efficient and how much scoring difference we are talking about for me. I'd much rather have an efficient secondary scorer than an inefficient primary scorer (rather than neutral as in your example) and generally I'd assume that a primary scorer significantly below league average efficiency I tend to take as a negative.

True, but these are mostly hypothetical worries imo (maybe a few exceptions, but not players being discussed here). Truly inefficient players just don't last as volume shooters.

Guys near the bottom of the above list and having it held against them (Nique/Melo) both have career 100 TS+ numbers, and were often more efficient than that in prime.
I bought a boat.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,266

Post#19 » by trex_8063 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:06 pm

Induction vote: Al Horford
There are other non-inducted players I'd rank ahead of him.......however, none of them are yet nominees. He's simply my default best here.
Long career of consistent usefulness in a very tough/competitive era, peaking as a roughly All-NBA 3rd Team level player (though has multiple seasons at that level, as he was so consistent).
Has been a key player on a number of very good teams (even 1 or 2 contenders), adapted his game to fit into new systems/new roles.
I love the versatile defense, spacing and passing he provides from the 4/5 position, GOAT-tier big-man turnover economy; seems like an awesome locker-room guy, too.

Alternate vote: Jack Sikma
Best of the rest for me.
Solid longevity, decent offensive player (nice face-up game where he could either shoot or pass out of this sort of modified triple-threat position), excellent shooter (prototypical stretch-big), with a good defensive reputation, rarely injured, and was one of the "big three" on a title team. It's a nice career. Extremely solid PIPM profile, and seven times an All-Star, iirc.

If it comes to any runoff, I'm presently ranking them:
Horford > Sikma > Hagan > Sharman > Walton

Nomination: Horace Grant
Alt Nomination: Dominique Wilkins

Could flop these two, pending preferences of others.
Horace Grant played 17 seasons, was at least a fair replacement level player as a rookie, league-avg guy by his second year, solid starter level by his third, and at least a borderline All-Star by his fourth season (and remained AT LEAST that level for the following six seasons as well). Peaked as probably a weak All-NBA 3rd Team level guy ('92 and '94), and never ceased to be a useful role player until his final two [injury-hit] seasons. Constantly found himself on contender level squads which he was [consistently] able to instantly integrate himself into, carrying an impact profile that [iirc] often rivaled his one-time teammate Scottie Pippen (inducted #32).

As to Dominique, I know he had his playoff failings, but his WOWY profile (referenced in the #87 thread) is respectable for this stage of the list. He was often the ONLY notable scorer his team had, and obviously would then be the focal point of the opposing defense.
So I thus just cannot see how a guy who was even capable (through his talents and durability/longevity) of scoring >26k points in a very competitive era with mostly good shooting efficiency in his prime and a GOOD turnover economy (comparable to that of LeBron James and Ray Allen in mTOV%; BETTER THAN guys like Scottie Pippen, Latrell Sprewell, and Sidney Moncrief), and doing so while often at the helm of some of the best offenses in the league for a few years in the mid-late 80s....

....who was also a good offensive rebounder, and placed 53rd in MVP win shares [fwiw], and who looks competitive via PIPM wins added [see below].....
idk, the guy described belongs somewhere in the top 100, imo.

I'd also REALLY like to see guys like Chris Bosh, LaMarcus Aldridge, and Dan Issel gain some traction.

Looking at some of our candidates and other notable non-inducted players (and a few recent inductees) by PIPM career wins added (as I know it's a metric some have expressed significant confidence in or appreciation of).....

(Shawn Marion: 123.97)
Maurice Cheeks: 119.15
Jack Sikma: 117.54
Terry Porter: 116.64
Horace Grant: 114.81
(Tony Parker: 113.50)
**Dan Issel: 67.54 (**9-year NBA career ONLY; pro-rated for all 15 seasons would come to 112.57 [though his ABA seasons are likely to be even MORE highly rated])
Chris Bosh: 111.58
LaMarcus Aldridge: 109.02
Dominique Wilkins: 105.11
Al Horford: 88.24
Carmelo Anthony: 87.39
Chris Webber: 85.49
Chris Mullin: 84.82
Alex English: 82.41
(Sidney Moncrief: 78.53)
Bill Walton: 52.38
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
eminence
RealGM

Post#20 » by eminence » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:32 pm

Cheeks is a guy I could see myself supporting in the near future, hadn't thought about him much, thanks for mentioning him folks. My secondary nomination this round will likely be between Bosh and Grant.
I bought a boat.

Return to Player Comparisons