2023-24 NBA Season Discussion

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,417

Re: 2023-24 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2941 » by GSP » Mon May 13, 2024 7:05 am

ronnymac2 wrote:We really missed OG the past two games - especially today obviously. He's such a good connector piece. He's that SF/PF hybrid who shoots 3's, protects the defensive glass, and can defend a variety of different player types with relative effectiveness. OG gives you everything of that archetype PLUS he can put the ball on the floor and make a play. And the defense he plays is outstanding. Against such a quick-passing offensive team like IND, OG's brain and length are greatly missed. We need him back ASAP.

Did Charles Barkley compare Aaron Gordon to Travis Knight after the game? I was half listening, but I swear he made that comparison. :lol:

The w/ and w/o Og has been night and day. Staggering impact

If he just had a real handle and off dribble game hed be a superstar
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,581

Post#2942 » by Dr Positivity » Mon May 13, 2024 10:24 am

Denver played such a good 4th quarter and Minnesota had all the concerns you'd have about them like dumb offensive fouls etc. Also the KAT creates for himself offense in that game was like a slow moving car crash. I still wouldn't be surprised if Minnesota wins game 5 and then blows game 6 like OKC in 2016.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,304

Post#2943 » by Colbinii » Mon May 13, 2024 11:07 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Denver played such a good 4th quarter and Minnesota had all the concerns you'd have about them like dumb offensive fouls etc. Also the KAT creates for himself offense in that game was like a slow moving car crash. I still wouldn't be surprised if Minnesota wins game 5 and then blows game 6 like OKC in 2016.

Yeah KAT can't really beat Aaron Gordon. He needs to be aggressive when Gordon isn't defending him but otherwise he needs to be a floor spacer and attack switches or hard closeouts with his driving.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Heej
General Manager
And1: 9,032

Post#2944 » by Heej » Mon May 13, 2024 1:26 pm

LukaTheGOAT wrote:
Heej wrote:
LukaTheGOAT wrote:
No that's actually Jayson Tatum in Boston.

Also, Jokic has to go up against the much better defense, so considering he is someone who generates so much of their value from offense, it makes a bit more sense how Edwards could be doing this.

Edwards doing this to them is a direct consequence of what a -EV paint protector Jokic is for his position among other things tbh

That still doesn't disprove my point that Edwards has an easier matchup. Matchups will lead to impact fluctuating as statlanta spoke about. Not sure if I said it here or just other sports talks venues, but the Wolves are Jokic's worse matchup and thus I did expect his usual impact to be subdued. On the flipside, Edwards has no one on the perimeter who can check him and a weak rim-protector, so what he can do is amplified.

If Jokic gets passed the Wolves, it's free-sailing from here on out.

That's fine. Still doesn't disprove the fact that Edwards is having a better 2-way series right now and that Jokic's sub-par paint protection is a big reason why.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
Tomtolbert
Sophomore
And1: 184

Post#2945 » by Tomtolbert » Mon May 13, 2024 1:48 pm

I still don't have a strong lean in the Denver Minnesota series. I don't think one team is clearly better than the other, and wouldn't be surprised at any outcome from here on out - either team winning the next two games, or either winning game 7.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,121

Post#2946 » by sp6r=underrated » Mon May 13, 2024 3:02 pm

Tomtolbert wrote:I still don't have a strong lean in the Denver Minnesota series. I don't think one team is clearly better than the other, and wouldn't be surprised at any outcome from here on out - either team winning the next two games, or either winning game 7.

Agreed. I give Denver a slight edge due to home court advantage. Even under best case scenario the chance of victory never crosses 80% in a best of 3 series.
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,696

Post#2947 » by parsnips33 » Mon May 13, 2024 3:42 pm

"And I took that personally"

-Nikola Jordan
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,000

Post#2948 » by tsherkin » Mon May 13, 2024 3:50 pm

GSP wrote:
ronnymac2 wrote:We really missed OG the past two games - especially today obviously. He's such a good connector piece. He's that SF/PF hybrid who shoots 3's, protects the defensive glass, and can defend a variety of different player types with relative effectiveness. OG gives you everything of that archetype PLUS he can put the ball on the floor and make a play. And the defense he plays is outstanding. Against such a quick-passing offensive team like IND, OG's brain and length are greatly missed. We need him back ASAP.

Did Charles Barkley compare Aaron Gordon to Travis Knight after the game? I was half listening, but I swear he made that comparison. :lol:

The w/ and w/o Og has been night and day. Staggering impact

If he just had a real handle and off dribble game hed be a superstar

He's an excellent contributor when he's healthy.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,626

Post#2949 » by 70sFan » Mon May 13, 2024 4:21 pm

GSP wrote:Rudy having 4 Dpoys in one of the biggest travesties in Nba history specially as the likes of Ad and Bam have never sniffed 1

they gotta stop giving this fraud the award man its sickening. Their perimeter defense looks so much worse since hes gotten back. Cant make excuses and blame it on the perimeter defenders like in Utah

That's ridiculous take, but what should I expect?
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,660

Post#2950 » by Doctor MJ » Mon May 13, 2024 4:38 pm

Heej wrote:That's fine. Still doesn't disprove the fact that Edwards is having a better 2-way series right now and that Jokic's sub-par paint protection is a big reason why.

So I'll just say:

1. I think first and foremost we should just all agree that Edwards has emerged again as a totally different beast in the playoffs compared to the regular season, and that if this is what we can expect from him going forward, we may well be looking at the best player of the upcoming era (ahem, kinda assuming the Wemby era is the next era after that).

So not crazy at all to argue that Ant has been the best player of this series and of the entire playoffs.

2. But when looking at Denver's defense as something bad enough to be giving this to Ant, worth noting:

Minny RS ORtg 115.6
Minny 1st Rd ORtg 128.1
Minny WCSF ORtg 113.6

I'm not one to say that Denver has an elite defense, or to believe that Jokic's defense can truly be resilient enough to be a clear cut positive in all playoff matchups...but at this point in the series quite frankly, Denver's defense is looking pretty alright DESPITE the fact that Ant is playing out of his mind.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,626

Post#2951 » by 70sFan » Mon May 13, 2024 4:46 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Heej wrote:That's fine. Still doesn't disprove the fact that Edwards is having a better 2-way series right now and that Jokic's sub-par paint protection is a big reason why.

So I'll just say:

1. I think first and foremost we should just all agree that Edwards has emerged again as a totally different beast in the playoffs compared to the regular season, and that if this is what we can expect from him going forward, we may well be looking at the best player of the upcoming era (ahem, kinda assuming the Wemby era is the next era after that).

So not crazy at all to argue that Ant has been the best player of this series and of the entire playoffs.

2. But when looking at Denver's defense as something bad enough to be giving this to Ant, worth noting:

Minny RS ORtg 115.6
Minny 1st Rd ORtg 128.1
Minny WCSF ORtg 113.6

I'm not one to say that Denver has an elite defense, or to believe that Jokic's defense can truly be resilient enough to be a clear cut positive in all playoff matchups...but at this point in the series quite frankly, Denver's defense is looking pretty alright DESPITE the fact that Ant is playing out of his mind.

Do you not think that Jokic paint protection this series is a concern?
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#2952 » by Doctor MJ » Mon May 13, 2024 4:48 pm

70sFan wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

So I'll just say:

Minny RS ORtg 115.6
Minny 1st Rd ORtg 128.1
Minny WCSF ORtg 113.6

Do you not think that Jokic paint protection this series is a concern?

It's always a concern. It's a weakness.

Heej
General Manager

Post#2953 » by Heej » Mon May 13, 2024 5:50 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:

So I'll just say:

Minny RS ORtg 115.6
Minny 1st Rd ORtg 128.1
Minny WCSF ORtg 113.6

I agree overall. Prior to these playoffs I honestly thought Ant was getting slightly overrated. I'm pleasantly surprised by the level he's reaching right now although I think it's pretty unsustainable and he crashes back to Earth soon enough.

Just saying it's a bit of a cop-out to just blame the Wolves having a better defense as to why Jokic isn't playing well as Ant right now. Great players essentially require a soft double at all times having a big man shading them behind the primary defender once the ball is in a superstar's hands. There's a big difference between Jokic being your shader and Gobert being your shader but that's on Jokic at the end of the day.

One could also say the Nuggets have a better offensive supporting build if we're going to start playing these kind of games under the guise of providing context. I personally expect Denver to settle in now and dominate the rest of the series because they're still the best team in basketball imo
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#2954 » by Doctor MJ » Mon May 13, 2024 5:55 pm

Heej wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

So I'll just say:

Minny RS ORtg 115.6
Minny 1st Rd ORtg 128.1
Minny WCSF ORtg 113.6

I agree overall. Prior to these playoffs I honestly thought Ant was getting slightly overrated. I'm pleasantly surprised by the level he's reaching right now although I think it's pretty unsustainable and he crashes back to Earth soon enough.

Just saying it's a bit of a cop-out to just blame the Wolves having a better defense as to why Jokic isn't playing well as Ant right now. Great players essentially require a soft double at all times having a big man shading them behind the primary defender once the ball is in a superstar's hands. There's a big difference between Jokic being your shader and Gobert being your shader but that's on Jokic at the end of the day.

One could also say the Nuggets have a better offensive supporting build if we're going to start playing these kind of games under the guise of providing context. I personally expect Denver to settle in now and dominate the rest of the series because they're still the best team in basketball tbh.

Sounds like you're saying it doesn't make sense to say Jokic has been better on offense than Ant when normalizing for defensive opponent because Jokic isn't good on defense. I would disagree with the logic of that, but would not object to using similar logic to make a statement of who was overall the better player.

Mind you, I'm not actually looking to insist Jokic has been the better offensive player in this series. No fundamental reason why Ant can't claim that title too at series end.

lessthanjake
Sixth Man
And1: 1,419

Post#2955 » by lessthanjake » Mon May 13, 2024 6:55 pm

The bar for Jokic really is incredibly high. He’s caught flak here and elsewhere, but the guy is averaging 28/14/9 on 63% TS in the playoffs. In these playoffs, Jokic currently has the 17th highest single-playoff BPM in history, and it’s 11th if you take out guys who didn’t get past the first round (and one of the remaining 10 above him was Jokic himself last year). Most of the single-playoffs in which someone who went past the first round had a higher BPM than Jokic currently has this playoffs were playoffs authored by Michael Jordan (4x) or LeBron James (2x), and even those guys usually fell below this BPM. Of course, BPM doesn’t account much for defense, but Jokic’s team has had a -3.5 rDRTG in one series and a -2.0 rDRTG so far in the other series, so they’re really not struggling defensively. To the extent one might say that that obscures Jokic’s own defense being bad, I’ll note that he’s done a lot of great things defensively in the playoffs (forced a lot of turnovers, has a 31% DRB% with the most contested defensive rebounds per game of any player in the playoffs, etc.), and the FG% within 6 feet of the basket on shots Jokic has contested is a good bit lower than it was in the regular season and is 6.3% below expected, despite playing against incredible rim finishers. I’d also note that a good deal of why the Nuggets have had good rDRTG’s in both series is that their opponents aren’t getting to the line nearly as much against the Nuggets as they’re used to, nor are they getting as many offensive rebounds—both areas where Jokic’s style of defense is a significant positive factor. And to the extent we want to look at impact more generally, Jokic has easily the best on-off of any Nuggets starter in these playoffs (+10.1, with KCP being the closest starter at +4.2)—of course, that’s in a meaninglessly small sample, but I note this because people like to use tiny playoff samples to suggest Jokic isn’t a highly impactful playoff player.

Of course, all that said, I actually get the criticism to some degree. As incredible as Jokic has been, he actually *has* been disappointing in a sense, because he’s probably capable of being even better! But that’s a reflection of how incredible he is, where the sky is basically the limit. I’d also note that the idea that perhaps ANT has been even better in the playoffs so far doesn’t lead to some conclusion that Jokic hasn’t been amazing. There’s an argument that Anthony Edwards *has* been better. But ANT has been absolutely incredible in these playoffs so far! For reference, to use similar data to the above, Anthony Edwards currently has the 28th best single-playoffs BPM in history, which is, again, above most playoffs authored by Jordan or LeBron! Edwards has been incredible too! ANT will probably come back down to earth, since this is not his normal level (whereas for Jokic it basically is—though obviously it’s quite possible Jokic will do worse in subsequent playoff games), but who knows! If this is what Edwards is as a playoff player (or, perhaps, if he improves on this with time), then we’re looking at an incredibly special generational player.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
Heej
General Manager

Post#2956 » by Heej » Mon May 13, 2024 8:19 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Heej wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
So I'll just say:

Minny RS ORtg 115.6
Minny 1st Rd ORtg 128.1
Minny WCSF ORtg 113.6

One could also say the Nuggets have a better offensive supporting build if we're going to start playing these kind of games under the guise of providing context. I personally expect Denver to settle in now and dominate the rest of the series because they're still the best team in basketball tbh.

Sounds like you're saying it doesn't make sense to say Jokic has been better on offense than Ant when normalizing for defensive opponent because Jokic isn't good on defense. I would disagree with the logic of that, but would not object to using similar logic to make a statement of who was overall the better player.

Mind you, I'm not actually looking to insist Jokic has been the better offensive player in this series. No fundamental reason why Ant can't claim that title too at series end.

No I'm saying Jokic hasn't had a better 2-way series which is why he hasn't been the best player in this series. And blaming the Wolves defense doesn't move me because Jokic is the worst but most important defender on the Nuggets due to the fact that he's involved in the most defensive plays. It is what it is. He's big man Steph to me. Their offense will greatly outweigh their defense, and outside of getting targeted in PnRs they're both generally positive in other aspects of what constitutes defense. The problem for both is that PnR is the most common playtype in modern basketball so it's a pretty sh**ty weakness to have
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,012

Post#2957 » by Special_Puppy » Mon May 13, 2024 8:57 pm

Deleted because the language was too harsh
Heej
General Manager

Post#2958 » by Heej » Mon May 13, 2024 9:57 pm

Special_Puppy wrote:
Heej wrote:Ant is outplaying Jokic this series so far somehow. Doesn't matter tho. Jokic has the best combo of supporting players and coaching staff in the league right now.

I actually agree that Ant has clearly outplayed Jokic in this series so far, but the second part about Jokic having the best combo of supporting players+coaching staff is either braindead or a troll lol.

Malone is a top 5 coach in the league with the best offensive assistant coach in the league in David Adelman; and their closing lineup is extremely well constructed with 2-way players that obscure Jokic's defensive shortcomings. The projection in the last part of your sentence is funny to me.
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,483

Post#2959 » by AEnigma » Mon May 13, 2024 9:59 pm

Special_Puppy wrote:
Heej wrote:Ant is outplaying Jokic this series so far somehow. Doesn't matter tho. Jokic has the best combo of supporting players and coaching staff in the league right now.

I actually agree that Ant has clearly outplayed Jokic in this series so far, but the second part about Jokic having the best combo of supporting players+coaching staff is either braindead or a troll lol.

Pretty disappointing to see you — and more predictably your +1 — call a take “either braindead or a troll” because… you think the coaching staff has not done an excellent job adapting to opponents? Because other teams are just extracting so much value from their supporting cast?

We literally just discussed this a page ago. The Celtics have a fine claim to having a better supporting cast, but their coaching is dramatically worse. Could maybe say the same for the Mavericks at the moment, with strong support performances but relatively standard coaching. But no argument from you, no stance, just dismiss what should be an ice cold take as “either braindead or a troll”. Makes you and your +1 look really serious and in touch with what these teams have been doing and specifically with how these Nuggets have developed.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#2960 » by Doctor MJ » Mon May 13, 2024 10:04 pm

Heej wrote:Malone is a top 5 coach in the league with the best offensive assistant coach in the league in David Adelman; and their closing lineup is extremely well constructed with 2-way players that obscure Jokic's defensive shortcomings. The projection in the last part of your sentence is funny to me.

Not looking to argue, nor support the language used against you in the post preceding this one, but one thing that's interesting:

Minny's coach used to be an assistant in Denver, and I've talked to Nuggets fans who very much believed that Finch was smarter than Malone when he was there and wish they'd fire Malone for Finch.

Me personally, I think both of these stars have some pretty great infrastructure around them. I chafe at the fit between KAT & Gobert, but what's undeniable is that both are all-star level talents now working in a broader ecosystem that's functioned very well all year.

Return to Player Comparisons