Russ
67%

Total votes: 86

SportsGuru08
Rookie
And1: 926

Re: Current Sga VS Peak Westbrook 

Post#61 » by SportsGuru08 » Sun May 19, 2024 4:46 am

I voted SGA and my opinion hasn't changed. He's already shown himself to be a better playoff performer than Westbrook ever was
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,160

Post#62 » by rk2023 » Sun May 19, 2024 7:32 am

TroubleS0me wrote:bump
lets discuss :wink:

It’s Shai for me
Mogspan wrote:I think they see the super rare combo of high IQ with freakish athleticism and overrate the former a bit, kind of like a hot girl who is rather articulate being thought of as “super smart.” I don’t know kind of a weird analogy, but you catch my drift.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,306

Post#63 » by tsherkin » Sun May 19, 2024 1:51 pm

A tough question. Shai is definitely a better scorer than Westbrook, but there are some indicators that his impact isn't quite as high as peak Westbrook. And he's been much worse in the PS than in the RS, like 5.5% worse in terms of his scoring efficiency, right at league average for the playoffs (and roughly for the RS as well). Getting to the rim less and shooting worse when he gets there, going to his middie more. He's MURDERING it from the elbows on those pull-ups and stuff, but that's also likely to cool down soon, because he's shooting Shaq-like percentages from 14 feet, which is wild. Still, he is super dangerous from there and his footwork to get clear on those pivots is nice.

Anyway, tough call. Not the same kind of volume playmaker, not the same kind of offensive rebounder, not the same kind of north/south pressure. In the RS, the scoring gap is enough to make this an interesting one because Shai was extremely effective. In the PS, a little more challenging. Obviously, Game 6 was a more Shai-like game outside of the 3rd quarter.

I dunno, man. People rip on Westie a lot, and often for good reasons, but 2016 and 2017 were pretty wild. At least in the RS, his scoring game was good enough, though he was definitely overshooting. He did other things on O which mattered, though, so I can at least see the argument here, even though SGA is the clearly, unambiguously superior scorer.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,850

Post#64 » by Fadeaway_J » Sun May 19, 2024 2:43 pm

Voted Shai at the time, certainly see no reason to change my mind now. The defensive gap is pretty massive to me.

Return to Player Comparisons