Bynum vs Yao

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

TAI8
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#161 » by TAI8 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:53 pm

Babyface would be lucky to carry Yao's jock strap.
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 495

Post#162 » by Showtime:Part2 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:32 am

sherk, how on earth do you have camby ahead of bynum. he averages more bpg and similar rpg on a per 48 basis. averaging a couple more bpg and sucking on man defense doesn't make him a better player than bynum. and bynum is a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better offensive player than camby. i could understand ppl claiming kaman>bynum, but imo its very close and very debatable. al jefferson is quietly putting up 21 and 12 and yet no one is caught claiming he is a top 5 big man. whatever, kaman/bynum is close and i wouldn't fault someone for picking kaman over bynum. however, i'd take bynum over camby 100/100. if we didn't have bynum's low post scoring, our record would not be this good.
wezbo
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#163 » by wezbo » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:58 am

Bynum is great but Camby was still DPOY and is avg 14brds, not to mention i think his scoring is underrated
manny "pacman" pacquiao is the greatest
tha_rock220
General Manager
And1: 564

Post#164 » by tha_rock220 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:29 am

Showtime:Part2 wrote:sherk, how on earth do you have camby ahead of bynum. he averages more bpg and similar rpg on a per 48 basis. averaging a couple more bpg and sucking on man defense doesn't make him a better player than bynum. and bynum is a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better offensive player than camby. i could understand ppl claiming kaman>bynum, but imo its very close and very debatable. al jefferson is quietly putting up 21 and 12 and yet no one is caught claiming he is a top 5 big man. whatever, kaman/bynum is close and i wouldn't fault someone for picking kaman over bynum. however, i'd take bynum over camby 100/100. if we didn't have bynum's low post scoring, our record would not be this good.

That's great chico, but nobody plays 48 minutes a game so using per 48 stats in pointless. The fact is Camby does produce more of those stats and Bynum's better offense really isn't enough to offset it especially since Camby plays with 2 big scorers.

Also, the guy is averaging 13 ppg with a lot of those coming from putbacks and bunnies. So pretty please, with sugar on top, stop talking like the guy is just this offensive juggernaut and faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better on offense than Camby. Marcus' job isn't to go out and score. He's out there to rebound and block shots which he does in bunches.
NYKnick87
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#165 » by NYKnick87 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:09 pm

nsballer07 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Too bad you guys only use stats as your argument, and btw the argument has been changed on will Bynum be better then Yao in the future?

Ignore MythBreaker. He thought John Starks and Mason were the real anchors of the Knicks defense in the 90s, not Ewing. Bynum is probably one of the ten centers that he's watched play the game.
TooNice00
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#166 » by TooNice00 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:41 pm

the fact bynum doesn't play more than 30mpg should be to his disadvantage. after three years in the nba, you are now just getting playing time doesn't exactly look good no matter how you look at it. using per minutes stats are only used to make bynum look better than he is because otherwise his performance of 13/10 is rather modest. people don't care about your per minute stats but your overall contribution to the game. 21 points(in more minutes) is more effective than 13 points(in less minutes).
houstonboy01
Sixth Man
And1: 11

Post#167 » by houstonboy01 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:42 pm

Ilove when Lakers homers say Bynum's fg%>Yao's :rofl:
I wonder what Bynum's fg% would be if he averaged more than 15 shot attempts per game and was the focus of the entire team's defense.
KobeFarmarEra
Pro Prospect

Post#168 » by KobeFarmarEra » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:44 am

houstonboy01 wrote:Ilove when Lakers homers say Bynum's fg%>Yao's :rofl:
I wonder what Bynum's fg% would be if he averaged more than 15 shot attempts per game and was the focus of the entire team's defense.

:roll: :roll:

Yeah because T-Mac doesn't demand defensive attention at all.

Anyways, Bynum with 25, 17 and 3 blocks on 10-13 shooting with some beautiful low post moves for a 20 year old.

Let me jsut say that again: twenty years old. Just turned twenty two months ago.

Twenty years of age.

KobeFarmarEra
Pro Prospect

Post#169 » by KobeFarmarEra » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:50 am

TooNice00 wrote: the fact bynum doesn't play more than 30mpg should be to his disadvantage.

WRONG. Yao TWENTY TWO years old averaged 29 minutes.

It is not a disadvantage because:

1) the Lakers have been BLOWING teams out. They have the 3rd best point differential in the entire league which leads to Bynum and Kobe (his minutes are down as well) sitting in the 4th.

2) Phil Jackson has brought Andrew around slowly. The last thing we want to see is Bynum playing too many minutes early in the season when the playoffs/late season is what matters most.

TooNice00 wrote: after three years in the nba, you are now just getting playing time doesn't exactly look good no matter how you look at it.

Wrong again. On any a crappy team not coached by Phil Jackson (who is notorious for not playing rookies/young guys) he would of been playing more minutes his first two seasons.

Oh and you do realizes BYNUM WAS THE YOUNGEST PLAYER EVER DRAFTED. Right? You do realize that fact?

TooNice00 wrote: using per minutes stats are only used to make bynum look better than he is because otherwise his performance of 13/10 is rather modest.

You using 13/10 is just as dishonest. If you actually WATCHED Bynum on a consistent basis you would realize he would destroy those 13/10 numbers if he got more minutes. He is 20 years old. 20. No need to rush his development considering how late he started learning basketball (only 40 total high school games played).
farzi
RealGM

Post#170 » by farzi » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:15 am

Please lock this stupid, stupid thread.
Thank you for all the memories BRoy. You were a class act and brought hope to an entire region for 5 years. You will be missed.
houstonboy01
Sixth Man

Post#171 » by houstonboy01 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:30 am

KobeFarmarEra wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:roll: :roll:

Yeah because T-Mac doesn't demand defensive attention at all.

Anyways, Bynum with 25, 17 and 3 blocks on 10-13 shooting with some beautiful low post moves for a 20 year old.

Let me jsut say that again: twenty years old. Just turned twenty two months ago.

Twenty years of age.

Are you saying Bynum and Yao recieve equal defensive attention down in the post? Its not just the defensive attention that makes Bynum's fg% inflated... its the volume of shots and shot selection... I saw the entire Laker game today... Though he was impressive, most of his shots came from easy put backs or lobs inside created by his teammates... His shot selection today is something I never see of Yao's throughout an entire game... Ya, he has a few put-backs and lobs from his teamates... but most of his offense comes from him creating from the post and working REALLY HARD to get his points.... Thats the big difference between Bynum and Yao....

Building an Offense around Yao is doable.. Building an offense around Bynum is would be suicide for a franchise.... Yao has the offensive skillset to center an offense around....

Answer me this.... Without Kobe, could you see Bynum carry the Lakers and maintain their current record for a 10 game stretch? A Yao lead team can be still a good team... A Bynum lead team would probably be a disaster...

But the last crutch you lean on is he is 20 and he has the "potential" to develop a post game where you can actually build an entire nba caliber offense around. Sure he has the athletic ability and good hands.... but comon... I can go around the league and say every young big man has the potential to develop a post game that can be the crutch of an offense.

Come back when he starts getting majority of his points of his own doing instead of put-backs and assists, then we will talk about him being at Yao's level or ever reaching it.

p.s. You are one of the reasons why everyone thinks Bynum is overrated on this board.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,523

Post#172 » by RIPskaterdude » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:44 am

Sighhhhh...
KobeFarmarEra
Pro Prospect

Post#173 » by KobeFarmarEra » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:05 am

[quote="houstonboy01"][/quote]

Yao takes more JUMPERS and FADE AWAYS. Which is why he shoots a lower %.

Bynum is superior when finishing around the basket.

Yao can not ROLL off the pick like Bynum. Why you ask? It's called athleticism, which is something Bynum has and is costantly underrated for.

Anyways, it seems most of you guys in this thread are denial about Bynum. Thats fine.

If in two years Bynum shows no improvement whatsoever I would gladly take Yao over him. But the fact remains, a 20 year old Bynum is showing more potential and more dominance than TWETNY TWO year old Yao ever showed. RIGHT NOW,

Bynum is already the superior defender/rebounder. You can argue against this all you want, but you would lying to yourself.
farzi
RealGM

Post#174 » by farzi » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:07 am

[quote="KobeFarmarEra"][/quote]

KobeFarmarEra
Pro Prospect

Post#175 » by KobeFarmarEra » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:35 am

^^ Nice troll but you still fail at giving any counter arguments whatsoever.
houstonboy01
Sixth Man

Post#176 » by houstonboy01 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:39 pm

KobeFarmarEra wrote:^^ Nice troll but you still fail at giving any counter arguments whatsoever.
Okay, remove your mouth from Bynum's nuts for a second and think..... You are saying he is a better defender??? You are the only one who agrees with that.

Plus, your mind is stuck on the stereotype that Yao is soft and can only jump 2 inches from his rookie days. From my observations of you.... you probably dont watch any other team besides the Lakers... and if you did... you probably watched Yao torch Bynum.

Now... it obviously has not gone through your head yet, but the fact that YAO COMANDS DOUBLE AND TRIPLE TEAMS AND SO MUCH DEFENSIVE ATTENTION limits his ability to get easy put backs and lobs from his teamattes... Its also harder for him to roll to the basket because a offense with Yao in it will have the paint congested with defenders, but even with all that attention you still are horribly wrong on the fact that Yao nevers rolls to the basket from a pick and roll. It actually is a quite comon play for a Mcgrady and Yao pick n roll with Yao going to the basket and Mcgrady dishing to Yao.... also Yao has finished plenty of times on fast breaks where he was the finisher and beat everyone down the court. Yao's athleticism is great for a man who is 7'6".

Honestly... Bynum looks so good with his finishes and eay putbacks because no team defense gives a **** about Bynum.... All eyes are on number 24. If Bynum recieved the same defensive attention as Yao, you would be rolled up in a corner embarrassed by how your hero sucks ass.
HeyIt'sMe
Lead Assistant
And1: 127

Post#177 » by HeyIt'sMe » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:56 pm

Yao is without a doubt a better defender than Bynum. People stereotype Yao as being a poor defender for whatever reason, but he's not. With his size being so massive, it's incredibly difficult to move or get around him in the post. His low base is huge and almost impossible to budge.
Baller 24
RealGM
And1: 18

Post#178 » by Baller 24 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:06 pm

KobeFarmarEra wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yao takes more JUMPERS and FADE AWAYS. Which is why he shoots a lower %.

Yao can not ROLL off the pick like Bynum. Why you ask? It's called athleticism, which is something Bynum has and is costantly underrated for.

Anyways, it seems most of you guys in this thread are denial about Bynum. Thats fine.

If in two years Bynum shows no improvement whatsoever I would gladly take Yao over him. But the fact remains, a 20 year old Bynum is showing more potential and more dominance than TWETNY TWO year old Yao ever showed. RIGHT NOW,

Bynum is already the superior defender/rebounder. You can argue against this all you want, but you would lying to yourself.

Bynum is a better rebounder and that is all, you use ONLY STATS as an example why Bynum is a better defender. But you fail to point that Yao besides his rookie yr has been part of a team that has ranked top 3 in defense, and you possibly can't say that the big guy doesn't have anything to do with that. Yao is not a soft player at all, he is one of the hardest workers you will ever see in the game of basketball, he is usually on the court 3 hours before the game is even started to warm-um, and this is remember when the lights are even barley on, something he said he got from watching Larry Bird's work ethic. Yao is even more superior around the basket, when he is in point black range, he is basically taller then everyone, so stars have nothing to do but to foul him, and he will make you pay with his 86% free throw shooting currently.

And you keep saying that Bynum is 20 years old, and how he is better than Yao at 22. Well Bynum has been in the league for 3 years now, Yao was a rookie, Bynum clearly has more experience, Yao comes from China where players lower then his size clearly cannot handle him. Bynum has progressed since his rookie year. Look if your going to compare Bynum in his third yr to Yao in his rookie year, then just compare both of their 3rd seasons.

Bynum 13pts, 10rebounds, 2.1blks, 62% shooting.

Yao 18pts, 8.4 rebounds, 2 blocks, 55% shooting in only 30 mins.

Yao gets twice as more attention as Bynum ever has. Just think what would happen to Bynum if he got double teamed constantly. For Yao its gotten to a point where he has to get double teamed every possession, if not then your obviously going to pay.

EDIT: BTW, KobeFarmarEra, you fail to tell me why Bynum is a better defender? And please don't use bull **** stats, because they obviously don't mean anything. Look at Bruce Bowen, he is reguarded as the best defensive player in the league, and yet he is a career 1 stl per game average. So again please tell me why Bynum is a better defender then Yao?
tha_rock220
General Manager
And1: 564

Post#179 » by tha_rock220 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:07 pm

KobeFarmarEra wrote:Yao takes more JUMPERS and FADE AWAYS. Which is why he shoots a lower %.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If Bynum is so much better a defender why are the Rockets playing better defense with Yao in the middle?? Are we to believe it's really Rick Adelman preaching team defense that has caused this??? LMAO.

Besides, nobody cares about Andrew Bynum when they're designing a game plan to defense the Lakers. I watched the game last night. Even with all his supposed scoring prowess he still didn't see one double team.

If Kobe got injured for 8 games the Lakers would win at most 1 game, and that's only if they were given the bunny schedule they've had thus far this season. If they actually had to play some good teams regularly they would never win if Bynum was leading the way. The Blazers wouldn't trade Oden for Bynum and he's hurt. That's how crappy he'd be if he wasn't hidden by a good team that's hasn't even had to play Dallas yet.

This comparison isn't even close, and that's why Yao is an all-star and Bynum isn't.
dWadeOwnzYou
Rookie
And1: 596

Post#180 » by dWadeOwnzYou » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:11 pm

I'm not gonna play the stat game here, but if i'm going by the head to head match up between the two center which I've seen a lot lately then I'm gonna pick Yao. The guy seems to alway kill Bynum and this is with the constant triple teaming. That's motto of the league for years now, to double team Yao and have him kick it out to the open man and hope they miss. Its the only way to stop Yao otherwise he kills you one on one. I believed in the last game with the lakers Yao nearly fouled out all 3 of the Lakers center that includes AB. You'd be on cracked to think AB get this much attention/respect.

Yao is carrying the team without their leading scorer while battling through double/triple team. Dude, can you see Bynum carrying the Lakers without Larmar or Kobe? Hell naw...that would spell murder for him.

I would also like to add that Yao has out played Howard thus far and Howards team has regressed lately. yao is the best center in the NBA right now regardless of his age and lack of mobility. All of you guys wants to use age/potential as a way of telling who is better is just as idiotic as saying Durant will be better then Kobe,lebron..etc. If you guys think that Bynum will be better then Yao in a year, then fine....lets just wait and see.

Just b/c one is more athletic don't mean jack sh*t especilly for a center's role, otherwise Amare would be at the top and Duncan would be at the bottom. Athleteticism is overrated unless you have a refined post moves along with good fundamental of the game on both ends of the court its not gonna get you very far.

Return to Player Comparisons