PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics]

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,009

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics] 

Post#1981 » by tsherkin » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:01 pm

rk2023 wrote:What are your favorite beer league games?

I play some baseball, some basketball, both when the opportunity arises. But again, mostly just work and jiujitsu these days. My schedule is weird as hell and I'm quite often too tired to do much on my days off, as I have two jobs.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,860

Post#1982 » by MyUniBroDavis » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:29 am

tsherkin wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:
Yeah nothing specific I just get tired of the 60s talk nowadays cuz it just gets repetitive for me lol, maybe another time

It's very theoretical, so there's hardly any concrete stuff to go over, which can make it very frustrating.

It’s actually hilarious I got into basketball super late just because a bunch of kids I didn’t like grew up playing and I wanted to smack them all, but since my driveway wasn’t too long I just worked on finishing a contact end contested layups, did so for like 8 hours a day the entire summer

My first favorite players were Magic, Bird and Kareem, and then I entered the glorious age of Hakeem, Ewing, D-Rob, Shaq and all those guys, so I was big into post play. McHale, all the post-up SFs of the 80s and 90s, just set up to love the post. MJ's development in the post was awesome. Kobe. Post-2007 Dirk. Great stuff for me.

On the bright side, the team went from undefeated to 0-8 afterwards so my plus minus is absolutely incredible :lol:

Yeah, the only varsity I ever played for was ultimate frisbee, lmao. And I'm mostly too old and broken for anything but beer league these days, so I do jiujitsu in my age bracket instead.

Jiujutsu is crazy lmao the what belt are you

Bro could beat wilt in a fight
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1983 » by tsherkin » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:58 pm

MyUniBroDavis wrote:Jiujutsu is crazy lmao the what belt are you

Bro could beat wilt in a fight

Nah, man, it's not like that. Especially 30 years into the popularity of the sport. Wrestlers do really well against jiujitsu guys without any wrestling training, for example, and judo black belts are required to compete at blue belt in jiujitsu even if they are white belts.

Were Wilt alive today, he could land one punch and that fight would be over before I ever got him to the ground, so some perspective is required, lol. More over, I am a white belt, and unstriped, no less. I was like an orange belt or a green belt or some business in judo 20 years ago and have done some boxing and wing chun but like, pump them brakes :lol: I'm nothing in martial arts.

I may be boring, but I train with some pretty cool folks, though. One of my buddies used to train with GSP, for example.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,814

Post#1984 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:03 pm

I would not say wrestlers without any training do well against BJJ guys unless you mean a guy who has been wrestling for years against a guy who has been doing BJJ for less than one year. That's not exactly a fair contest or really a "BJJ" guy.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1985 » by tsherkin » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:11 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:I would not say wrestlers without any training do well against BJJ guys unless you mean a guy who has been wrestling for years against a guy who has been doing BJJ for less than one year. That's not exactly a fair contest or really a "BJJ" guy.

Yeah, I wasn't planning to write an essay explaining it.

I meant wrestlers who also train jiujitsu versus jiujitsu guys without wrestling training, though I guess that sentence could have been a little clearer. Not wrestlers without BJJ training. Their takedowns tend to be better than what's taught in most BJJ gyms and they wrestle up very well (of course) in some situations which your average BJJ guy doesn't do as well. And naturally, as the level/experience of the practitioners rises, things change. But again, writing sentences with endless equivocations and citations isn't the point of a casual remark, heh.

But cross-training does matter. If the guy only does jiujitsu, having those other layers of experience matters a lot. One of the guys I regularly training with is a 1st-degree black belt in Japanese jiujitsu and does a lot of cross training in wrestling. He's a blue belt, but he's a damned nightmare. Especially now that he's become a dirty wrist locker :lol:
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#1986 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:02 am

tsherkin wrote:
He's a blue belt, but he's a damned nightmare. Especially now that he's become a dirty wrist locker :lol:

I'm sure people are racing to roll with him. :lol:
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1987 » by tsherkin » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:26 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
tsherkin wrote:
He's a blue belt, but he's a damned nightmare. Especially now that he's become a dirty wrist locker :lol:

I'm sure people are racing to roll with him. :lol:

He has fun. The people at his gym like him well enough, and he's one of my oldest friends, heh. He doesn't wrist lock me because I'm too new, lol.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,792

Post#1988 » by penbeast0 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:33 am

Had a similar issue when I did martial arts back in law school. Only guy in my belt class was a former golden glove boxer. We were roughly the same technically but he hit a heck of a lot harder, could take more damage, and at about 4 inches shorter and 20 pounds heavier than me, loved to get inside and slam elbows and fists into my ribs. Kicked my butt every time we sparred; barely broke a sweat.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1989 » by tsherkin » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:52 am

penbeast0 wrote:Had a similar issue when I did martial arts back in law school. Only guy in my belt class was a former golden glove boxer. We were roughly the same technically but he hit a heck of a lot harder, could take more damage, and at about 4 inches shorter and 20 pounds heavier than me, loved to get inside and slam elbows and fists into my ribs. Kicked my butt every time we sparred; barely broke a sweat.

So, I train in two places. My gym, where I'm in a n00b class; there, my only problem is that I'm skinny and broken and my work schedule doesn't let me get there often enough or with the kind of consistency I'd prefer. But it's not like I'm aiming to compete, so it's fine.

The other place is with some friends, so they're all well ahead of me. One of them is the blue belt. Actually, two of them are blue belts, but only of them is the dirty wrist locker xD Another has been doing this for 15 years and the other has had his black belt for 15 years, lol. So that is actually mostly drills for me. And lots and lots of good defensive practice. They're all really nice to me, actually. Patient and more focused on showing me how to progress. At the gym, it's the usual. Disorganized bits of moves and sequences and a little rolling until it's time to start going to open mats and the free-range advanced class, hehe.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,998

Post#1990 » by OhayoKD » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:46 am

Dutchball97 wrote:Funny coincidence I just happen to be lurking on the board and my exit is being brought up again. Tbh I did not expect there to still be so much drama going on.

Either way, the board was simply moving in a direction that wasn't for me. I value advanced stats highly as a guiding tool but as a former history major I didn't want these stats to be leading my evaluations over contextual analysis. While trying to pull back from statistical analysis I got challenged on that extensively, which is fine but when people keep calling your personal interpretations unsubstantiated

I mean, there is always the option of seeing if you could substantiate it. Ultimately when historians do contextual analysis, don't they also seek to --apply-- said context to available evidence? Isn't how that context applied also driven on the basis of what evidence would support as the best way of applying that context?
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,899

Post#1991 » by Dutchball97 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:25 pm

OhayoKD wrote:
Dutchball97 wrote:Funny coincidence I just happen to be lurking on the board and my exit is being brought up again. Tbh I did not expect there to still be so much drama going on.

Either way, the board was simply moving in a direction that wasn't for me. I value advanced stats highly as a guiding tool but as a former history major I didn't want these stats to be leading my evaluations over contextual analysis. While trying to pull back from statistical analysis I got challenged on that extensively, which is fine but when people keep calling your personal interpretations unsubstantiated

I mean, there is always the option of seeing if you could substantiate it. Ultimately when historians do contextual analysis, don't they also seek to --apply-- said context to available evidence? Isn't how that context applied also driven on the basis of what evidence would support as the best way of applying that context?

I did substantiate it, my explanation was simply not "good enough" for you and a couple others as evidenced by you once again jumping on this. There is nothing to be gained by dredging it up again.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,509

Post#1992 » by Jaivl » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:27 am

The mute function (plus the willingness to ignore) is extremely useful.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,899

Post#1993 » by Dutchball97 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:20 am

Jaivl wrote:The mute function (plus the willingness to ignore) is extremely useful.

I'll admit I have a hard time ignoring people who feel the need to reply to my every other comment in a condescending way but that's great advice, thanks. I'll mute the people who keep bothering me and see if that makes the board enjoyable for me again.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1994 » by tsherkin » Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:59 pm

Jaivl wrote:The mute function (plus the willingness to ignore) is extremely useful.

Second this notion.

If I didn't have And-1s disabled, this would be a prime candidate for an And-1 for sure.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#1995 » by HeartBreakKid » Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:54 pm

Muting helped a lot for sure.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#1996 » by OhayoKD » Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:27 am

Dutchball97 wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:

I did substantiate it, my explanation was simply not "good enough" for you and a couple others as evidenced by you once again jumping on this. There is nothing to be gained by dredging it up again.

Yeah, but other posters put more effort in substantiating their "contextual analysis" than you did and you still feel the need to pretend you were unique there.
Dutchball97 wrote:

I'll admit I have a hard time ignoring people who feel the need to reply to my every other comment in a condescending way but that's great advice, thanks. I'll mute the people who keep bothering me and see if that makes the board enjoyable for me again.

Seems like you still have a very easy time projecting your own behavior onto others though
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#1997 » by OhayoKD » Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:55 am

MyUniBroDavis wrote:
rk2023 wrote:Taylor Swift is at the Chiefs Game with the Kelce family :lol: :lol: Any other Swift (or Mahomes/Kelce) fans amongst the PC Board population?

I too love listening to Austin reaves’ girlfriend sing

austin reeves girlfriend is just dollar store serreni
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1998 » by tsherkin » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:11 pm

OhayoKD wrote:
Dutchball97 wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:I mean, there is always the option of seeing if you could substantiate it. Ultimately when historians do contextual analysis, don't they also seek to --apply-- said context to available evidence? Isn't how that context applied also driven on the basis of what evidence would support as the best way of applying that context?

Yeah, but other posters put more effort in substantiating their "contextual analysis" than you did and you still feel the need to pretend you were unique there.
Dutchball97 wrote:

Seems like you still have a very easy time projecting your own behavior onto others though

Just let it be, man.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,313

Post#1999 » by trex_8063 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:24 pm

tsherkin wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:Had a similar issue when I did martial arts back in law school. Only guy in my belt class was a former golden glove boxer. We were roughly the same technically but he hit a heck of a lot harder, could take more damage, and at about 4 inches shorter and 20 pounds heavier than me, loved to get inside and slam elbows and fists into my ribs. Kicked my butt every time we sparred; barely broke a sweat.

So, I train in two places. My gym, where I'm in a n00b class; there, my only problem is that I'm skinny and broken and my work schedule doesn't let me get there often enough or with the kind of consistency I'd prefer. But it's not like I'm aiming to compete, so it's fine.

The other place is with some friends, so they're all well ahead of me. One of them is the blue belt. Actually, two of them are blue belts, but only of them is the dirty wrist locker xD Another has been doing this for 15 years and the other has had his black belt for 15 years, lol. So that is actually mostly drills for me. And lots and lots of good defensive practice. They're all really nice to me, actually. Patient and more focused on showing me how to progress. At the gym, it's the usual. Disorganized bits of moves and sequences and a little rolling until it's time to start going to open mats and the free-range advanced class, hehe.

What the heck? Fight training? What conversation did I walk in on?

I’m old and frail, apparently. The last time I went sledding with my son I cracked a rib (seriously).

Also I’m small and skinny. Kinda scrappy I guess. Bob Oederkirk in Nobody???
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2000 » by tsherkin » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:46 pm

trex_8063 wrote:What the heck? Fight training? What conversation did I walk in on?

I’m old and frail, apparently. The last time I went sledding with my son I cracked a rib (seriously).

Also I’m small and skinny. Kinda scrappy I guess. Bob Oederkirk in Nobody???

Hehehe. I'm tall and skinny. If I turn sideways, I turn invisible, you're not alone in the Slenderman department.

I've popped two ribs and sprained an LCL still I started training, but I'm progressing, if slowly. xD There's a reason I do jiujitsu instead of muay thai these days.

Return to Player Comparisons