76%
Shaq
24%

Total votes: 55

That Nicka
Banned User
And1: 34

Post#21 » by That Nicka » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:42 am

You should be banned from realgm for life for comparing Andrew Bynum to Tim Duncan.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,341

Post#22 » by tsherkin » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:48 am

Returning to the OP...

Even ignoring contracts, you've got to be looking at Bynum. About the only thing he doesn't do as well as Shaq right now is draw fouls and given that he's defending better, rebounding more effectively and actually shooting a higher percentage from the floor, it's pretty difficult to justify taking Shaq.

On any given night, Shaq could theoretically blow up for a retro-Shaq game but Bynum's generally a safer bet now. Shaq's deep into his decline and he's just not capable of producing the way he once did, and that even when he's ON the floor, which he does not consistently manage.
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#23 » by farzi » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:13 am

Ok, this is a plea to any moderators. PLEASE start locking / banning all of these (Please Use More Appropriate Word) comparisons to the best in the league when he clearly isn't anywhere close.
Thank you for all the memories BRoy. You were a class act and brought hope to an entire region for 5 years. You will be missed.
FANOFNBA
Analyst
And1: 32

Post#24 » by FANOFNBA » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:38 am

farzi wrote:Ok, this is a plea to any moderators. PLEASE start locking / banning all of these (Please Use More Appropriate Word) comparisons to the best in the league when he clearly isn't anywhere close.

i agree, but its kind of ironic you saying this.. since you started one of these bynum comparisons yourself.

ahh try to figure that one out.
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#25 » by farzi » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:05 am

FANOFNBA wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

i agree, but its kind of ironic you saying this.. since you started one of these bynum comparisons yourself.

ahh try to figure that one out.

Yes, I started 1 sarcastic thread, hoping that the people making THESE would get it that we're tired of them. I guess the intent wasn't clear, or was over some people's heads. Oh well.
Myth_Breaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 65

Post#26 » by Myth_Breaker » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:52 am

This year in regular season I'd be inclined towards Bynum, but in the playoffs I'd still rather have Shaq due to his massively superior experience. Next season the answer should be 'Drew on both counts.
http://wiltfan.tripod.com
Read: Edward Lucas "The New Cold War: Putin's Russia and the Threat to the West".
"So what, son, did your Poles help you?" YES, WE DID!
***** *** Kukiza i Konfederację!
Myth_Breaker
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by Myth_Breaker » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:56 am

farzi wrote:Ok, this is a plea to any moderators. PLEASE start locking / banning all of these (Please Use More Appropriate Word) comparisons to the best in the league when he clearly isn't anywhere close.

If you imply that Bynum is not only worse than Shaq just now (what is debatable), but also that "isn't anywhere close", then your basketball knowledge is just as poor as in case of the guy who compared current edition of Bynum to TD.
Read: Edward Lucas "The New Cold War: Putin's Russia and the Threat to the West".
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,602

Post#28 » by hermes » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:33 pm

bynum

i wouldn't take shaq if he was healthy
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by tsherkin » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:21 pm

hermes wrote:bynum

i wouldn't take shaq if he was healthy

I WOULD take Shaq if he was healthy; he's considerably more experienced, not THAT far off as a rebounder, shooting a similarly efficient percentage from the floor and is way more dangerous in terms of his foul-drawing ability. He's also more experienced at creating his own shot and handling double-teams. Bynum's notably better at the line but still.

A healthy Shaq is still one of the best centers in the league; it's mainly his lack of health that's preventing him from being a good center this year. The fouls and turnovers are also pretty rough but let's not forget that he's still a 14/8 guy with about 2 bpg even despite being injured and the Heat having no perimeter game to open up the floor for him while playing in 28 mpg and having only 9 games in 29 appearances where he took more than 11 shots.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,223

Post#30 » by duppyy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:07 pm

lol Wow, people say Bynum over TD? Now I'v seen everything.
SDChargers#1
Starter
And1: 104

Post#31 » by SDChargers#1 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:13 pm

tsherkin wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I WOULD take Shaq if he was healthy; he's considerably more experienced, not THAT far off as a rebounder, shooting a similarly efficient percentage from the floor and is way more dangerous in terms of his foul-drawing ability. He's also more experienced at creating his own shot and handling double-teams. Bynum's notably better at the line but still.

A healthy Shaq is still one of the best centers in the league; it's mainly his lack of health that's preventing him from being a good center this year. The fouls and turnovers are also pretty rough but let's not forget that he's still a 14/8 guy with about 2 bpg even despite being injured and the Heat having no perimeter game to open up the floor for him while playing in 28 mpg and having only 9 games in 29 appearances where he took more than 11 shots.

See I like your foul drawing ability argument. But in this case it happens to be one of the biggest liabilities in NBA history. Granted it puts fouls on the other teams players, but the hack a Shaq was invented for a reason.
Baller 24
RealGM
And1: 18

Post#32 » by Baller 24 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:16 pm

SDChargers#1 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

See I like your foul drawing ability argument. But in this case it happens to be one of the biggest liabilities in NBA history. Granted it puts fouls on the other teams players, but the hack a Shaq was invented for a reason.

Shaq also draws twice the amount of double teams Bynum has ever drawn.
Myth_Breaker
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by Myth_Breaker » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:39 pm

SabasRevenge! wrote:Wait, wait... let me catch my breath, this is really too funny! So not only is Bynum better than Yao, will be better than Oden and Dwight, but he's better than DUNCAN.....

wait...

wait....

THIS SEASON!!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yes, ROFL at you being constantly unable to get that Bynum-Yao thread was not about who's better now, but about POTENTIAL... :banghead: On another note, it's rather sad: I feel like I'm reading kgceltics all over again.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#34 » by HarlemHeat37 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:43 pm

I think a lot of you Bynum fans are overlooking a certain aspect of his game..what's his name again? ohhhh ya, Kobe..
Baller 24
RealGM
And1: 18

Post#35 » by Baller 24 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:47 pm

HarlemHeat37 wrote:I think a lot of you Bynum fans are overlooking a certain aspect of his game..what's his name again? ohhhh ya, Kobe..

:D
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#36 » by HarlemHeat37 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:49 pm

honestly I thought Kobe was at worst the 2nd best player in the NBA with Duncan, but I still thought he was kind of overhyped..but this year, it seems like Kobe is becoming underrated, and Bynum is the best player on the Lakers..
Wade2k6
RealGM
And1: 77

Post#37 » by Wade2k6 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:35 pm

Lakers05 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Duncan USED to be a top-3 player, he's not a top-3 player this season. Bynum is also improving every week. At the end of the year, I'll be surprised if Bynum doesn't just surpass Duncan outright.

Well if Bynum is clearly at Duncans level like you say he is, there should be NO reasons/excuses for Kobe to not win a title this year.

A Duncan/Kobe duo is clearly better then a Bynum/Kobe duo. You can't be serious. I'm hoping he's one of the few laker fans that thinks that.

Anyway, back to the question. Considering Bynum has stayed healthy and Shaq can't seem too, I'd probably go with Bynum.
Phil Jackson
Banned User
And1: 8

Post#38 » by Phil Jackson » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:44 pm

HarlemHeat37 wrote:honestly I thought Kobe was at worst the 2nd best player in the NBA with Duncan, but I still thought he was kind of overhyped..but this year, it seems like Kobe is becoming underrated, and Bynum is the best player on the Lakers..

Bynum is pretty good but he's only Kobe Bryant's Shaq at best. Kobe Bryant is The Greatest of All Time.
SDChargers#1
Starter
And1: 104

Post#39 » by SDChargers#1 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:45 pm

HarlemHeat37 wrote:I think a lot of you Bynum fans are overlooking a certain aspect of his game..what's his name again? ohhhh ya, Kobe..

See what is really funny is that when Kobe was younger people would say the same thing about him.

"Wee a lot of you Kobe fans are overlooking a certain aspect of his game...what's his name again? ohhhh ya, Shaq.."

And as we all now know Kobe is just as good of a player without Shaq.

With that said, Bynum absolutely benefits from Kobe being there, but so does everyone on the Lakers. It is probably the main reason why his FG% is so high. It probably would still be in the 50s if he didn't have Kobe, but Kobe definitely adds to it.

I also love how you guys say things like "Well Bynum is the 3rd option...." bull, but then don't realize that if Bynum were the 1st option he would probably be putting up much better TOTAL numbers, although Im sure his FG% would drop considerably. If Bynum were given say 15 shots a game (still less than Kobe) he would be putting up close to 20 ppg easy.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by tsherkin » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:02 pm

SDChargers#1 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yeah but the hack-a-Shaq has only rarely actually caused a problem for his team; his coach has had to strategize for it but that's always been the weakest argument against Shaq; yes, on the whole, it is damaging to Shaq that he is God-awful and pathetic at the foul line but it has never cost him in a title run. Didn't cost him in '95, and it didn't cost him from 00 to 06, either.

Again, the value of a foul drawn isn't entirely tied up in the free throws that follow; the pressure Shaq (and now Dwight) exerts on the opposition frontcourt is IMMENSE and significant in that he can often reduce the overall caliber of their interior defense by making the players play more tentatively...

Or not at all.

And he could go oh-for at the foul line and still do that. You draw enough fouls, then the whole TEAM is shooting free throws whether the fouls are in the act of shooting or not and that has considerably higher value than a 70% FT shooter who draws at a much lower rate.

Shaq's Magic, Lakers and Heat have won enough games simply because of the extra FTAs drawn as a result of Shaq aiding his team to put their opponent in the penalty that it overcomes his inexcusable ineptitude at the charity stripe.

Return to Player Comparisons