2023-24 NBA Season Discussion

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,801

Re: 2023-24 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2921 » by LukaTheGOAT » Mon May 13, 2024 1:44 am

Will the Jokic is overrated conglomerate please come to the podium please? Some people here feel lied to and would like to ask a few questions.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,788

Post#2922 » by penbeast0 » Mon May 13, 2024 1:47 am

Aaron Gordon is 9 for 9, KAT is 4 for 16, that's the difference though Ant, Murray, and Jokic are living up to their billing (and Gobert isn't).
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#2923 » by OhayoKD » Mon May 13, 2024 1:49 am

LukaTheGOAT wrote:Will the Jokic is overrated conglomerate please come to the podium please? Some people here feel lied to and would like to ask a few questions.

This post would make alot more sense 10 minutes ago
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst

Post#2924 » by LukaTheGOAT » Mon May 13, 2024 2:02 am

OhayoKD wrote:
LukaTheGOAT wrote:Will the Jokic is overrated conglomerate please come to the podium please? Some people here feel lied to and would like to ask a few questions.

Wait another 10 minutes.
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,056

Post#2925 » by bigboi » Mon May 13, 2024 2:08 am

He is still overrated. KAT is garbage. Anthony Edwards has been the best player this series
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
Heej
General Manager
And1: 9,032

Post#2926 » by Heej » Mon May 13, 2024 2:09 am

Ant is outplaying Jokic this series so far somehow. Doesn't matter tho. Jokic has the best combo of supporting players and coaching staff in the league right now.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,417

Post#2927 » by GSP » Mon May 13, 2024 2:16 am

Rudy was great the 1st 5 playoff games trying to change the narrative and the basketball gods said "nah uh" youre a playoff dropping fraud and hes back to his usual playoff form since

Best Wolves looked this series by far was when he was out
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst

Post#2928 » by LukaTheGOAT » Mon May 13, 2024 2:16 am

Heej wrote:Ant is outplaying Jokic this series so far somehow. Doesn't matter tho. Jokic has the best combo of supporting players and coaching staff in the league right now.

No that's actually Jayson Tatum in Boston.

Also, Jokic has to go up against the much better defense, so considering he is someone who generates so much of their value from offense, it makes a bit more sense how Edwards could be doing this.
Heej
General Manager

Post#2929 » by Heej » Mon May 13, 2024 2:20 am

LukaTheGOAT wrote:
Heej wrote:Ant is outplaying Jokic this series so far somehow. Doesn't matter tho. Jokic has the best combo of supporting players and coaching staff in the league right now.

That would be my other choice actually but I think the nuggets coaching staff is significantly better.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
Heej
General Manager

Post#2930 » by Heej » Mon May 13, 2024 2:21 am

LukaTheGOAT wrote:

Also, Jokic has to go up against the much better defense, so considering he is someone who generates so much of their value from offense, it makes a bit more sense how Edwards could be doing this.

Edwards doing this to them is a direct consequence of what a -EV paint protector Jokic is for his position among other things tbh
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,572

Post#2931 » by Statlanta » Mon May 13, 2024 2:34 am

Is he though when you consider the matchups?

Naz Reid, Rudy Gobert and Karl-Anthony Towns with Jaden McDaniels helping off poor shooters sounds like hell vs. any defender Edwards is facing.
Aaron Gordon, Devin Booker, Tyrese Halliburton, Trae Young, Anthony Edwards and Luka Doncic all made the Conference Finals.

Where’s Joel Embiid?
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#2932 » by OhayoKD » Mon May 13, 2024 2:37 am

LukaTheGOAT wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:

Wait another 10 minutes.

Yeah he deserves credit for those last few minutes. 35 points on 30 scoring possessions isn't great effeciemcy, but elite opposing defense, and some good playmaking/rebounding makes for a strong overall performance.

I also need to reconsider my life decisions ever contemplating rudy as a potential top 5 POYer and KAT as a star. Edwards was way too good for KAT and Rudy to disappear like this.

Statlanta wrote:

Is he though when you consider the matchups?

Naz Reid, Rudy Gobert and Karl-Anthony Towns with Jaden McDaniels helping off poor shooters sounds like hell vs. any defender Edwards is facing.

The flipside here is

A. Edwards doesn't have a Jamal equivalent absorbing the toughest diet of shots on the team for him
B. Edwards does not have a Jamal equivalent, asbsording defensive attention as a primary ball-handler
C. Edwards is not being covered defensively like Jokic is(mostly successfully the last 2 games, very unsucessfully the first 2)

On the balance of the series, Edwards has been much better considering Jokic was a gigantic negative on defense for half of it. This is Jokic's first top-3-player-in-the-league level game all series and Edwards was still better
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,872

Post#2933 » by eminence » Mon May 13, 2024 2:37 am

Wasn't around to comment on game 3.

Nobody on the Wolves showed up in that one, Gordon bringing it up more allowed Denver a lot more time in halfcourt. Murray showed up (still a bit bothered by that). Whistle was quicker than I would've liked, but not outside the realm of what a team should expect. Did bother me a bit that Minnesota picked up some techs for things Denver didn't in games 1/2 (that's an area I feel should be pretty darn consistent game to game).

Game 4 Ant was back, Rudy was alright (it wasn't a Rudy masterclass or anything). But the Wolves need KAT to be an efficient 2nd option to win games, and he didn't get it done. The Denver bench outperforming Minnesota's wasn't on my bingo card, but it happened.

Minnesota still has a shot, but gotta have Denver as the clear favorites again after games 3/4.
I bought a boat.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,111

Post#2934 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 13, 2024 2:37 am

So despite all the talk, we are getting competitive series everywhere including somehow Jokic and Denver not rolling over and giving up. Won't stop more hot takes tomorrow where either Boston or Dallas are seen as the favorites or Boston is a fraud and Luka is fat and sucks or whatever.

I'm grateful for good basketball. Without predetermined results. I don't mind dominant teams. The Warriors/Lebron era had its place for sure. But personally I enjoy years when multiple teams feel like real serious contenders to end the year as champions.

I like that Minnesota put a scare into Denver. I like that Denver calmly went about their business and responded. Knicks/Pacers are playing wild games. OKC/Dallas look very evenly matched. Spida playing at a way where even Boston has to be on their game and can't just cakewalk in.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst

Post#2935 » by LukaTheGOAT » Mon May 13, 2024 3:22 am

Heej wrote:
LukaTheGOAT wrote:

Edwards doing this to them is a direct consequence of what a -EV paint protector Jokic is for his position among other things tbh

That still doesn't disprove my point that Edwards has an easier matchup. Matchups will lead to impact fluctuating as statlanta spoke about. Not sure if I said it here or just other sports talks venues, but the Wolves are Jokic's worse matchup and thus I did expect his usual impact to be subdued. On the flipside, Edwards has no one on the perimeter who can check him and a weak rim-protector, so what he can do is amplified.

If Jokic gets passed the Wolves, it's free-sailing from here on out.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,660

Post#2936 » by Doctor MJ » Mon May 13, 2024 4:06 am

Texas Chuck wrote:So despite all the talk, we are getting competitive series everywhere including somehow Jokic and Denver not rolling over and giving up. Won't stop more hot takes tomorrow where either Boston or Dallas are seen as the favorites or Boston is a fraud and Luka is fat and sucks or whatever.

I'm grateful for good basketball. Without predetermined results. I don't mind dominant teams. The Warriors/Lebron era had its place for sure. But personally I enjoy years when multiple teams feel like real serious contenders to end the year as champions.

I like that Minnesota put a scare into Denver. I like that Denver calmly went about their business and responded. Knicks/Pacers are playing wild games. OKC/Dallas look very evenly matched. Spida playing at a way where even Boston has to be on their game and can't just cakewalk in.

Preach! :hoop:
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,120

Post#2937 » by sp6r=underrated » Mon May 13, 2024 4:12 am

I like Thibs. And I think he's right that coaches overly restrict players' minutes. But today he showed he went goes too far in the opposite direction. The Pacers had a 20+ minute lead at the 14 minute mark in the game. And for most of the 2nd and 3rd Quarter it was 35+.

Still Brunson logged 30 minutes. That's nuts. He should have been glued to the bench at the start of the half and only brought back in if the knicks made a big push.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,602

Post#2938 » by Clyde Frazier » Mon May 13, 2024 4:26 am

It's not surprising the defending champs now find themselves going back home tied 2-2. It's just wild to me in general how some fans and media overreact after a single game. And that's in all sports with multi game series. Not specific to jokic and the nuggets.
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,915

Post#2939 » by ronnymac2 » Mon May 13, 2024 4:58 am

We really missed OG the past two games - especially today obviously. He's such a good connector piece. He's that SF/PF hybrid who shoots 3's, protects the defensive glass, and can defend a variety of different player types with relative effectiveness. OG gives you everything of that archetype PLUS he can put the ball on the floor and make a play. And the defense he plays is outstanding. Against such a quick-passing offensive team like IND, OG's brain and length are greatly missed. We need him back ASAP.

Did Charles Barkley compare Aaron Gordon to Travis Knight after the game? I was half listening, but I swear he made that comparison. :lol:
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#2940 » by OhayoKD » Mon May 13, 2024 5:01 am

Thibs strat of playing everyone till they die backfires. Who would have thought

Return to Player Comparisons