(LOCK THREAD) The LeBron James- 23-24 NBA Thread - 40K POINTS+(Part 1)(NO INSULTING)

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,160

Re: The LeBron James- 23-24 Reg Season Thread - 40K POINTS+, In Season Tornament MVP, 20X ALL STAR- (Part 1)(NO INSULTIN 

Post#3001 » by rk2023 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:12 am

Bucks losing in DC right now.. Lakers dare not make the same mistake tm with all the seeding implications. 5-1 after tonight is the bare minimum to get the 7 seed (with help)
Mogspan wrote:I think they see the super rare combo of high IQ with freakish athleticism and overrate the former a bit, kind of like a hot girl who is rather articulate being thought of as “super smart.” I don’t know kind of a weird analogy, but you catch my drift.
NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,745

Re: The LeBron James- 23-24 Reg Season Thread - 40K POINTS+, In Season Tornament MVP, 20X ALL STAR- (Part 1)(NO INSULTIN 

Post#3002 » by NbaAllDay » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:14 am

Seeing how easily Lebron has been scoring this year obviously shows his insane longevity but it also puts into perspective some of the production from the league top players this year based on how the game is played. Not that I want to diminish how they are playing but it at least holds some weight to the eaze of it relative to a decade ago for example (not a lot but enough)

For all the talk of "MJ could score 40" - If Lebron can do what he is doing now, I wish we could have seen what a Prime version of him was capable of doing the way the game is played today. It would actually be scary.

People forget how slow the game was through a lot of his prime. I watched the full 2012 game 6 against Boston the other day and the game is insanely different and so much faster and spaced now.

I won't even go into the fact that the more I watch games from the time the more I realise how overrated that 'superteam' was. Even in 2012 Wade had lost a number of steps, Bosh hurt for a full series, literally Haslem and Battier/Chalmers as starters with Mike Miller getting time off the bench. It will be looked apon as an 'unfair gathering of talent' but the context behind it is far from as easy as its made out, and the multiple attempts at replicating (and failing) the same processes from other teams should be clear how far from easy it is. Ironically the one common factor in the success of top end talented teams is Lebron.
Anyhow thats my brain dump over for now.
rk2023
Starter

Post#3003 » by rk2023 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:20 am

NbaAllDay wrote:Seeing how easily Lebron has been scoring this year obviously shows his insane longevity but it also puts into perspective some of the production from the league top players this year.

For all the talk of "MJ could score 40" - If Lebron can do what he is doing now, I wish we could have seen what a Prime version of him was capable of doing the way the game is played today. It would actually be scary.

People forget how slow the game was through a lot of his prime. I watched the full 2012 game 6 against Boston the other day and the game is insanely different and so much faster and spaced.

I won't even go into the fact that the more I watch games from the time the more I realise how overrated that 'superteam' was. Even in 2012 Wade had lost a number of steps, Bosh hurt for a full series, literally Haslem and Battier/Chalmers as starters with Mike Miller getting time off the bench. It will be looked apon as an 'unfair gathering of talent' but the context behind it is far from as easy as its made out, and the multiple attempts at replicating (and failing) the same processes should be clear how far from easy it is.

I agree fully. With how much better NBA playbooks are 10 years dispersed from 2014, I think prime Bron planted today could be a holistic playbook enabler akin to how Luka and Joker are (other players are extremely versatile too, with less playmaking - but Bron is far more athletic than Luka and decently more athletic than Jokic). Crafted NBA did a study about this using playtype disparity - and here are the results.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=_HOjrsiLtTYaVpOZxyl7Iw

Was having a convo with a friend of mine earlier today following the recent clips on ‘Mind the Game’, particularly Spoelstra’s evolution on O - choosing to go with LBJ / Bosh at the 4 and 5. I was looking at some Heatles’ film after that - and their offense was certainly unique and ahead of its time in that lineup combo with a framework that still pales to what’s run today.
Mogspan wrote:I think they see the super rare combo of high IQ with freakish athleticism and overrate the former a bit, kind of like a hot girl who is rather articulate being thought of as “super smart.” I don’t know kind of a weird analogy, but you catch my drift.
NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,745

Post#3004 » by NbaAllDay » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:33 am

rk2023 wrote:
NbaAllDay wrote:Seeing how easily Lebron has been scoring this year obviously shows his insane longevity but it also puts into perspective some of the production from the league top players this year.

People forget how slow the game was through a lot of his prime. I watched the full 2012 game 6 against Boston the other day and the game is insanely different and so much faster and spaced.

I won't even go into the fact that the more I watch games from the time the more I realise how overrated that 'superteam' was. Even in 2012 Wade had lost a number of steps, Bosh hurt for a full series, literally Haslem and Battier/Chalmers as starters with Mike Miller getting time off the bench. It will be looked apon as an 'unfair gathering of talent' but the context behind it is far from as easy as its made out, and the multiple attempts at replicating (and failing) the same processes should be clear how far from easy it is.

I agree fully. With how much better NBA playbooks are 10 years dispersed from 2014, I think prime Bron planted today could be a holistic playbook enabler akin to how Luka and Joker are (other players are extremely versatile too, with less playmaking - but Bron is far more athletic than Luka and decently more athletic than Jokic). Crafted NBA did a study about this using playtype disparity - and here are the results.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=_HOjrsiLtTYaVpOZxyl7Iw

Was having a convo with a friend of mine earlier today following the recent clips on ‘Mind the Game’, particularly Spoelstra’s evolution on O - choosing to go with LBJ / Bosh at the 4 and 5. I was looking at some Heatles’ film after that - and their offense was certainly unique and ahead of its time in that lineup combo with a framework that still pales to what’s run today.

Good info. There are plenty of things he has improved on the counter his decline. One thing that often goes unsaid is he has a much tighter handle now.

What I find most interesting is he has been able to adapt like no other in the league over 20 years, however it also felt like he could never put it "all together at once" maybe in Miami 12/13 but even then his shooting was not as consistent (especially in the playoffs) as it is today. He also didn't have a great of a handle etc etc.

The "Put all of it together Lebron" would be a cheat code but thats what happens when you have such insane athletic ability, you sometimes overlook things that could have improved your game even more in the moment.
tone wone
Pro Prospect
And1: 583

Post#3005 » by tone wone » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:35 am

43-33 (10gms over .500 for first time since 2021)
7-1 in last 8
Still 9th. Conference has been brutal this year.
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:I don’t think LeBron was as good a point guard as Mo Williams for the point guard play not counting the scoring threat. In other words in a non shooting Rondo like role Mo Williams would be better than LeBron.
The Master
Rookie
And1: 1,593

Post#3006 » by The Master » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:40 am

tone wone wrote:43-33 (10gms over .500 for first time since 2021)
7-1 in last 8

These records against EC are brutal.

https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/traditional?VsConference=East&Conference=West

Lakers would've fought for a HCA in the East.
rk2023
Starter

Post#3007 » by rk2023 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:53 am

tone wone wrote:43-33 (10gms over .500 for first time since 2021)
7-1 in last 8

Pelicans depth is a lot more formidable, and both MN / OKC have been very good teams so far.
RRR3
Veteran
And1: 3,495

Post#3008 » by RRR3 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:56 am

All those games Ham cost them with his stupid experiments are looking so bad right now. All he had to do was keep the same top 6 from last year (minus Schroder obviously).
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,203

Post#3009 » by donnieme » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:07 am

His scoring is so damn smooth these days. It basically made up for what he lost in agility and vertical. He lowkey has an all time below the rim game. Remember back in 13 when they said he would fall off a cliff if he lost even 0.00001% athleticism. Father time is defeated.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,569

Post#3010 » by PistolPeteJR » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:33 am

Really thought the Kings were going to lose tonight. Then Kawhi sat out and the Kings came in and cooked them in the third quarter it looks like. Too bad.

Kings play again tomorrow night in NY. Both teams on a B2B but Kings on the road. I favour the Knicks here.
The Suns play the Cavs in Phoenix.
The Lakers play the second game of a B2B on the road in Washington. The nice thing is that both AD and LeBron played under 30min tonight, and Washington also played tonight and odds are will be short Kuzma, Holmes and Bagley, the latter two having been double-double machines for them but Holmes got hurt last week (had him in fantasy) and Bagley got hurt tonight (had him in fantasy too lol….).

Lakers W
Kings L
Suns L

That’s my prediction, but I’m less certain about Phoenix. That said, even though Cleveland’s playing the second of a B2B tomorrow vs PHX, Mitchell sat out tonight in order to avoid playing B2B games, which means he’s playing tomorrow.
Greatness
RealGM
And1: 4,548

Post#3011 » by Greatness » Wed Apr 3, 2024 12:44 pm

Over the last 39 games (basically half the season), the Lakers have the 3rd best ORtg (118.5)
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,803

Post#3012 » by homecourtloss » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:34 pm

Greatness wrote:Over the last 39 games (basically half the season), the Lakers have the 3rd best ORtg (118.5)

Since January 8th, the Lakers are:

—2nd in 3 point % (40.1% to Boston’s 40.3%). They still take fewer 3s than just about everyone (29th in the league in three point attempts per 100 possessions during this span). Basically, if not for complete three point ineptitude in the first few months combined with Ham’s strange obsession with giving Reddish playoff player type rotation minutes, and also his strange lineups, the Lakers would be looking at some HCA right now,

—1st in FTA per 100 possessions

—6th in assists per 100 possessions

Defense has been worse, though, which is why the NRtg hasn’t been anything special.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,803

Post#3013 » by homecourtloss » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:51 pm

donnieme wrote:His scoring is so damn smooth these days. It basically made up for what he lost in agility and vertical. He lowkey has an all time below the rim game. Remember back in 13 when they said he would fall off a cliff if he lost even 0.00001% athleticism. Father time is defeated.

They have been completely wrong about him from the start and continue to be wrong about him. Over 20 years, he’s played in polar opposite leagues as far as style is concerned, i.e., grindout no offense league to pace and space league, and has continued to make impact by widening his skillset every season.

In the last 30 games , he’s shooting 55.4% FG and 45.6% on threes, 64.7% TS.

Since the all-star break, he’s shooting 58.5% FG and 48.8% on threes, 68.1% TS, the highest TS% in the league for high usage players.

For the season, he’s shooting 47.4% on catch and shoot threes, top 5 in the league in the most skilled shooting in NBA history.

It was funny to see what he was doing against Toronto and it seemed intentional. He shot 9/10 on threes vs. the Nets and then played a completely different game vs. the Raps in which he drove the ball and attacked the rim, most of the time going left and finishing half of the plays with his left hand.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,493

Post#3014 » by Colbinii » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:16 pm

homecourtloss wrote:
donnieme wrote:His scoring is so damn smooth these days. It basically made up for what he lost in agility and vertical. He lowkey has an all time below the rim game. Remember back in 13 when they said he would fall off a cliff if he lost even 0.00001% athleticism. Father time is defeated.

They have been completely wrong about him from the start and continue to be wrong about him. Over 20 years, he’s played in polar opposite leagues as far as style is concerned, i.e., grindout no offense league to pace and space league, and has continued to make impact by widening his skillset every season.

Since the all-star break, he’s shooting 58.5% FG and 48.8% on threes, 68.1% TS, the highest TS% in the league for high usage players.

For the season, he’s shooting 47.4% on catch and shoot threes, top 5 in the league in the most skilled shooting in NBA history.

It was funny to see what he was doing against Toronto and it seemed intentional. He shot 9/10 on threes vs. the Nets and then played a completely different game vs. the Raps in which he drove the ball and attacked the rim, most of the time going left and finishing half of the plays with his left hand.

I'm not going to pretend what LeBron James is thinking, but my thought is each of these games he had a different plan going in and executed the plan, a-la playoff basketball.

It's the typical March and April LeBron as he gears up for the post-season and iron's out the kinks.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Ian Scuffling
Senior
And1: 403

Post#3015 » by Ian Scuffling » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:22 pm

"I won't even go into the fact that the more I watch games from the time the more I realise how overrated that 'superteam' was. Even in 2012 Wade had lost a number of steps, Bosh hurt for a full series, literally Haslem and Battier/Chalmers as starters with Mike Miller getting time off the bench. It will be looked apon as an 'unfair gathering of talent' but the context behind it is far from as easy as its made out, and the multiple attempts at replicating (and failing) the same processes from other teams should be clear how far from easy it is. Ironically the one common factor in the success of top end talented teams is Lebron.
Anyhow thats my brain dump over for now."

Thanks for the brain drop :) Good stuff. Especially, regarding the Miami stint. And remember context is anathema to the haters/trolls and it always will be.
TroubleS0me
General Manager
And1: 5,495

Post#3016 » by TroubleS0me » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:34 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

LeBronto?
Read on Twitter
?s=20
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,547

Post#3017 » by AEnigma » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:50 pm

Pssh, what are Oscar Schmidt’s numbers in pickup? Lebron still has a ways to go imo.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,493

Post#3018 » by Colbinii » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:55 pm

TroubleS0me wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

LeBronto?
Read on Twitter
?s=20

STOP THE COUNT
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
rk2023
Starter

Post#3019 » by rk2023 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:53 pm

Colbinii wrote:
homecourtloss wrote:

I'm not going to pretend what LeBron James is thinking, but my thought is each of these games he had a different plan going in and executed the plan, a-la playoff basketball.

It's the typical March and April LeBron as he gears up for the post-season and iron's out the kinks.

What post-season is he gearing up for? LA can’t make it out of the 9 :lol:

Return to Player Comparisons