MyUniBroDavis wrote:.
homecourtloss wrote:.
70sFan wrote:.
Samurai wrote:.
WestGOAT wrote:.
penbeast0 wrote:.
Clyde Frazier wrote:.
PaulieWal wrote:.

Very well-worded post, Doc. I'm going to add a few comments, not to steal your thunder but rather to add to it (and quoting all mods and everyone who took an interest)....

Doctor MJ wrote:So, just a few thoughts based on what folks have said:

1. Always keep in mind that moderation is done as much behind the scenes as possible. It's not supposed to be a thing where everyone on RealGM knows when a poster is getting in trouble. So, if it seems out of the blue what happens to another poster, well, don't expect that it seemed out of the blue for the poster.

To be fair, we have experimented with trying to consistently make things more "transparent" (e.g. where we'd edit into a person's post with the bold blue font, stating the perceived offense and "warned"), even at the expense of potentially embarrassing the poster in question.

fwiw, this was not done as a means of public shaming, with the thought that perhaps that would generate greater compliance to forum rules and expectations (if that's how it was perceived).

We were trying this for two primary purposes:
1) Illustrative purposes, so other posters could literally see action and consequence, and thus be better informed about what type of behaviours we're discouraging.
2) To avoid the "that's not fair" complaints we frequently receive for no other reason than posters are not kept informed about what goes on behind closed doors. Example: a thread devolves into a flame-war between two or more posters; one of us warns two altercating posters who are both at fault and out of line, and then locks the thread which has become thoroughly toxic. Then one of the posters PM's that moderator a scathing message along the lines of "So and so did this and he didn't get in any trouble. But yes, by all means warn me for calling out his obvious BS/baiting. Great job moderating."....

.....Something like that. To which we're compelled to point out: "How do you know he didn't get in similar trouble? Do not assume that other actions were not taken simply because we didn't inform you of them."

For a time we perceived we were dealing with that kind of response A LOT; that posters had an inclination to feel like they were being somehow singled out when the only moderator actions they perceive are the ones directed at them. So we've tried making it more public/transparent.

That said, Doc is right: there's a lot that goes on "behind the scenes", particularly by way of internal deliberations.

Doctor MJ wrote:
4. I think probably the most important thing to understand is that it's not some theoretical thing that negative posting drives other posters away. A while back one long-time poster PMed me informing me that they were leaving the project in response to how I handled the Mikan issue, which One_and_Done as at the center of. It wasn't a threat or an ultimatum, they just told me that if this was how the project was going to be, that they'd rather not deal with it.

If after that point there'd been no further issues with One_and_Done, One_and_Done would still be in the project. Instead things continued from there.

5. Last thing I'll say: Among mods, sometimes we say about posters "He can't help himself." This essentially means that while we may see a lot of good in a poster, he does not seem to be able to keep himself from doing the thing again and again that got him in trouble. The statement is a lament, but we just want to see the poster figure out where the thresholds are and stay within them, but if he can't do that, then the consequences naturally escalate leading to suspensions and bans.

I think posters tend to think that when a big consequence comes down it must be because the poster did something awful that they never had done before - or that the mod in question had an axe to grind I suppose - but when we're talking about longer term posters, that's typically not the deal. Rather at a certain point it becomes a question of whether to simply give up and let that poster do whatever they want regardless of the complaints and violations, or to acknowledge that the poster just isn't ever going to color inside the lines laid out, and so they can't remain a part of the community in question.

These two sort of run hand in hand, and are fabulously-worded, btw, Doc.

I want to hammer home that last point, because I think this is very important for everyone reading to understand: the VAST majority [almost ALL] of our most drastic actions (such as lengthy suspensions and forum bans) have NOT come as a result of a single really REALLY bad action, but rather by lengthy accumulation of many many small offenses and annoyances, for which we have finally had enough. Death by a thousand cuts, as it were.

They're frequently offenses that, taken singly, are not at all severe; and from that standpoint a severe moderator action may seem out of the blue.
However, they are small offenses that repeat and repeat and repeat; and we warn and we warn, and we PM and we PM, and perhaps we suspend and suspend.......and yet they just keep doing it. "He can't help himself."
We'll let out as much rope as is reasonable, and try to give them some specific feedback about what needs to change; and speaking for myself, I love a redemption story and always want to believe people can improve. But sometimes they just don't. And there is a definitive end to our patience.

If action related to O&D seems more abrupt than "usual", bear in mind it's because of the vehicle it was occurring in. The Top 100 Project only happens once every three years, and is the highest profile and perhaps most important project we do. More than most threads/projects, it is not something in which we want to tolerate seeing tenured and respected posters alienated to the point of walking away from it in order to make room for ONE very opinionated and occasionally off-putting poster.

And lastly, I will And1 the sentiment that negative posting driving people away is not just a theoretical thing. As Doc alludes to, we have had posters tell us flat out that they'd like to participate more, but they just don't have the emotional surplus to withstand "so and so's" behaviour on a daily basis. And sometimes if we're not forceful enough in dealing with "so and so", we'll see those tenured posters sort of disappear for weeks/months at a time.

Anyway, I'll stop there.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Re: RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - General Thread 

Post#382 » by OhayoKD » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:24 pm

Colbinii wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
You're just making an assumption he was kicked out because of his opinion.

I highly doubt Doc would kick someone out because of a differing opinion than his.

Doc is chill, but the main thing sounded like One_and_Done was a hater, but I think getting kicked form a project he Lowkey posted in more actively than most is unfair

As discussed last thread, I feel Ewing is getting overrated a bit here. He's way better than Reggie & Stockton though, and on another planet to Pettit.

^ this was seemingly the last straw, and I don’t know I really don’t see anything wrong here in terms of violating rules or anything. It’s not like he didn’t put effort into his posts and he did contribute to the project either

This is a really low-effort post. No stats. No argumentation. No thought-provoking statements. Nothing of substance. Seems low-effort to me.

Like he was snarky in the sense where he’d be like “man I can’t believe we voted X over Y smh” like once or twice a thread esp if someone brought it up, but I don’t think it’s anything that serious

So 50+ times in a project?

If OandD's posts were low effort, then so were the majority to vast majority of posts in this project's history lol
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#383 » by OhayoKD » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:33 pm

trex_8063 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:These two sort of run hand in hand, and are fabulously-worded, btw, Doc.

I want to hammer home that last point, because I think this is very important for everyone reading to understand: the VAST majority [almost ALL] of our most drastic actions (such as lengthy suspensions and forum bans) have NOT come as a result of a single really REALLY bad action, but rather by lengthy accumulation of many many small offenses and annoyances, for which we have finally had enough. Death by a thousand cuts, as it were.

Not so relevant to this situation, but i'm curious if there is a temporal adjustment here. Having 5 problematic posts out of 20 in a month-span is very different from having 7 out of 500 in 3 months. The exact numbers aren't really the point, but i would hope after a period of good posting past trangressions are not use to justify more severe punishment than there would be for a new poster whose commited less raw offenses but alot more per insert given unit of time/posting volume. Do warning levels go down with time?

And lastly, I will And1 the sentiment that negative posting driving people away is not just a theoretical thing. As Doc alludes to, we have had posters tell us flat out that they'd like to participate more, but they just don't have the emotional surplus to withstand "so and so's" behaviour on a daily basis. And sometimes if we're not forceful enough in dealing with "so and so", we'll see those tenured posters sort of disappear for weeks/months at a time.

Okay, but isn't what matters post here the net increase vs the net decrease? Has the project actually suffered from the "toxicity"? I think the cold data for this top 100(voting participation, # of posts, ect) would suggest otherwise
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,660

Post#384 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:56 pm

OhayoKD wrote:
trex_8063 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:These two sort of run hand in hand, and are fabulously-worded, btw, Doc.

Not so relevant to this situation, but i'm curious if there is a temporal adjustment here. Having 5 problematic posts out of 20 in a month-span is very different from having 7 out of 500 in 3 months. The exact numbers aren't really the point, but i would hope after a period of good posting past trangressions are not use to justify more severe punishment than there would be for a new poster whose commited less raw offenses but alot more per insert given unit of time/posting volume. Do warning levels go down with time?

I'd say yes but mostly there's no formal process for this. Best not to assume that previous warnings are no longer relevant.

OhayoKD wrote:

Okay, but isn't what matters post here the net increase vs the net decrease? Has the project actually suffered from the "toxicity"? I think the cold data for this top 100(voting participation, # of posts, ect) would suggest otherwise

Hmm. This would imply that if one poster makes 1,000 toxic posts that drives everyone else away it would still be a net win. I'd be more inclined to look at the quantity of engaged posters more so than the quantity of posts.

That's not to say I'm not looking at post quantity too, but if what I'm seeing is driving other posters away then I think it unrealistic that it's actually bringing more posters in.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#385 » by OhayoKD » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:34 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:
trex_8063 wrote:

I'd say yes but mostly there's no formal process for this. Best not to assume that previous warnings are no longer relevant.

Well the natural result of a system where past transgressions are used to scale things indefinitely without any sort of countering force is that longer tenured forumers are disadvantaged.

That holds if the process is formal or informal
OhayoKD wrote:

Hmm. This would imply that if one poster makes 1,000 toxic posts that drives everyone else away it would still be a net win. I'd be more inclined to look at the quantity of engaged posters more so than the quantity of posts.

Well that is why I also mentioned voter participation. Has voting seen a decline relative to past projects? I thought it saw an increase, but maybe I'm wrong.
That's not to say I'm not looking at post quantity too, but if what I'm seeing is driving other posters away then I think it unrealistic that it's actually bringing more posters in.

Conflict tends to drive some way and draw other people in. Only looking at one side of the equation provided a skewed view. As would evaluating a track-record with only transgressions.

Muliple voters have explicitly expressed here they decided to vote because of a negative reaction to what they were seeing. And it seems there's a split in how people percieve one and done's contributions based on this thread's activity.

Of course you can pursue civility for civility's sake, but civility has never been garunteed to increase engagement or, at least by conventional standards, "quality".
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#386 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:23 pm

OhayoKD wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:Not so relevant to this situation, but i'm curious if there is a temporal adjustment here. Having 5 problematic posts out of 20 in a month-span is very different from having 7 out of 500 in 3 months. The exact numbers aren't really the point, but i would hope after a period of good posting past trangressions are not use to justify more severe punishment than there would be for a new poster whose commited less raw offenses but alot more per insert given unit of time/posting volume. Do warning levels go down with time?

Well the natural result of a system where past transgressions are used to scale things indefinitely without any sort of countering force is that longer tenured forumers are disadvantaged.

That's an understandable fear, but in practice most bans happen with folks whose start date isn't that long ago.

That holds if the process is formal or informal

OhayoKD wrote:

Well that is why I also mentioned voter participation. Has voting seen a decline relative to past projects? I thought it saw an increase, but maybe I'm wrong.[/quote]

I haven't checked recently, but yes, I believe we have seen an increase compared to previous project. That increase is a reason to consider being more hands-off...but as I've said, I'm generally acting in response to complaints from others in the project. High project engagement is not a reason to ignore the feelings of those who are part of that engagement.

OhayoKD wrote:

Conflict tends to drive some way and draw other people in. Only looking at one side of the equation provided a skewed view. As would evaluating a track-record with only transgressions.

Muliple voters have explicitly expressed here they decided to vote because of a negative reaction to what they were seeing. And it seems there's a split in how people percieve one and done's contributions based on this thread's activity.

Of course you can pursue civility for civility's sake, but civility has never been garunteed to increase engagement or, at least by conventional standards, "quality".

I'm not only looking at one side of the equation, but I'll keep your points in mind.

trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,313

Post#387 » by trex_8063 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:35 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
I'm not only looking at one side of the equation, but I'll keep your points in mind.

I had some thoughts, but moved the conversation to the OT thread, fwiw.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Rishkar
Junior
And1: 329

Post#388 » by Rishkar » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:22 pm

I have interest in joining as a voter, could I please get PM'ed when/if I have participated enough to join the list? Thanks.
Rishkar
Junior

Post#389 » by Rishkar » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:52 pm

Have I participated enough to join the voter pool?
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,139

Post#390 » by rk2023 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:59 pm

Rishkar wrote:Have I participated enough to join the voter pool?

Doctor MJ wrote:.

Sending bat signal
Mogspan wrote:I think they see the super rare combo of high IQ with freakish athleticism and overrate the former a bit, kind of like a hot girl who is rather articulate being thought of as “super smart.” I don’t know kind of a weird analogy, but you catch my drift.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,793

Post#391 » by homecourtloss » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:27 pm

I see that there’s yet another shot at this board’s Top 100 project posted on the GB.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2321062

All I can say is that thank goodness that the PC board exists,
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,627

Post#392 » by 70sFan » Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:00 pm

homecourtloss wrote:I see that there’s yet another shot at this board’s Top 100 project posted on the GB.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2321062

All I can say is that good ess that the PC board exists,

Another horrible list, no surprise.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#393 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:24 pm

Rishkar wrote:Have I participated enough to join the voter pool?

Keep going in the current thread, and I'll add you in the next one.

Rishkar
Junior

Post#394 » by Rishkar » Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:31 pm

Thanks!
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,814

Post#395 » by HeartBreakKid » Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:55 pm

Gotta love the shot at KG at our #9 by posting a list that has Allen Iverson at #30.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,793

Post#396 » by homecourtloss » Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:04 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:Gotta love the shot at KG at our #9 by posting a list that has Allen Iverson at #30.

Isaiah Thomas as 26, AI at 30, Dominique Wilkins in the mid 40s…But yes, this list that has KG at #9 is just terrible.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager
And1: 3,801

Post#397 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Sun Oct 1, 2023 8:58 pm

The current thread is maybe the slowest/quietest yet. We're 2.5 days into a 3 day thread and there's only 14 replies.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant

Post#398 » by OhayoKD » Mon Oct 2, 2023 5:00 am

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:The current thread is maybe the slowest/quietest yet. We're 2.5 days into a 3 day thread and there's only 14 replies.

We need a new barkley
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,627

Post#399 » by 70sFan » Wed Oct 4, 2023 10:52 am

Jokic over Hakeem in the recent GB poll shows that the 1990s nostalgia starts to fall down.
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,485

Post#400 » by AEnigma » Wed Oct 4, 2023 1:16 pm

Only if your PER is high enough.
Doc MJ wrote:This is one of your trademark data-based arguments in which I sigh, go over to basketballreference, and then see all the ways you cherrypicked the data toward your prejudiced beliefs rather than actually using them to inform you

Return to Player Comparisons