Bynum vs Yao

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 495

Post#81 » by Showtime:Part2 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:07 am

NYKnick87 wrote:Bynum is a better rebounder than Yao. That's probably it. Yao's impact on the game far surprasses that of Bynum's, period. It's funny that many of you say that Yao is "only" better than Bynum at scoring. When it comes to offense, Yao isn't only better than Bynum, he's elite. Bynum does not draw anywhere near the attention that Yao does. Every element of Bynum's offensive game is inferior to Yao's by a large margin.

When it comes to defense, Bynum isn't that great a defender. Phil Jackson even says that he needs to work on his defense. He's great at blocking shots, but so is Dalembert and Dalembert's D sucks.

I don't see how anyone can watch the two players play and come to the conclusion that Bynum is better than Yao. If you swapped Yao with Bynum right now, the Lakers would be instant contenders and even better than Boston. Meanwhile, Bynum would be leading the Rockets to the lottery.

you obviously know nothing about the lakers. PJ criticizes everyone, including kobe. bynum's team D is elite. his man D is above average. his man D gets called out when people (like you) haven't even watched it regularly. also, per your post, that would make kobe a ton better than tmac and the unquestionable mvp.
NYKnick87
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#82 » by NYKnick87 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:21 am

Showtime:Part2 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

you obviously know nothing about the lakers. PJ criticizes everyone, including kobe. bynum's team D is elite. his man D is above average. his man D gets called out when people (like you) haven't even watched it regularly. also, per your post, that would make kobe a ton better than tmac and the unquestionable mvp.

Please, try to tone down the homerism. His team D is not elite. Not at all. Even announcers say he needs working on it. Part of the reason is his immaturity. He loses focus at times and it's clearly evident when you watch him play. He has the potential to be elite on defense, but to say that he is right now is again, quite homerific.

And yes, Kobe is a ton better than Tmac, but playing with Yao and being contenders does not make Kobe the unquestionable MVP.
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 495

Post#83 » by Showtime:Part2 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:34 am

NYKnick87 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Please, try to tone down the homerism. His team D is not elite. Not at all. Even announcers say he needs working on it. Part of the reason is his immaturity. He loses focus at times and it's clearly evident when you watch him play. He has the potential to be elite on defense, but to say that he is right now is again, quite homerific.

And yes, Kobe is a ton better than Tmac, but playing with Yao and being contenders does not make Kobe the unquestionable MVP.

well, if kobe were with yao and like you said better than boston, then that would make him the mvp in my book.

his help D is very much elite. he's a great shot blocker and is quick to rotate. he changes too many shots in the lane to count.
schaffy
Sixth Man
And1: 173

Post#84 » by schaffy » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:47 am

There is no way you can honestly tell me that Bynum is better than Yao right now. Yao is the #1 option in Houston. Every defensive player knows where he is and helps double down. Bynum is the 2nd option (sometimes 3rd) in LA and is not the focal point of the defense, Kobe is. I would love to see Bynum's numbers when Kobe is not in the game (I bet they are not that good). And Yao is a much better passer than Bynum is at this point.
Patterns
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#85 » by Patterns » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:47 am

What has Yao ever won?
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#86 » by farzi » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:49 am

Patterns wrote:What has Yao ever won?

What has Bynum ever won?
LakersSquad
Analyst
And1: 132

Re: Bynum vs Yao 

Post#87 » by LakersSquad » Tue Jan 8, 2008 9:21 am

KobeFarmarEra wrote:Starting a franchise, which one do you take?

Yes I'm a Lakers fan and I would unbiasedly take Bynum over Yao without thinking twice.

Bynum is turning into an ELITE TWO WAY players. His shot blocking and length are incredible and he jumps as high as Dwight Howard (proven fact at the Orlando pre-draft camp).

Andrew Bynum right now does not a have a very refined post game, but has shown flashes that he could be absolutely dominant in the post. He has shown he can hit the jump hook with either hand, quick spins, up and unders and his hit Duncan-esque 8 foot bank shots without even jumping. Kareem Abdul Jabbar who works with Bynum everday also claims that Andrew can HIT THE SKY hook, but is hesistant to use it in games (due to the shot not being accepted as the 'NBA norm' and Bynum wanting to develop his jumper).

For comparison:

20 year old Bynum: 12.8 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 2.1 bpg, 29 mpg, .629 FG%

22 year old Yao: 13.5 ppg, 9rpg, 1.8 bpg, 29 mpg, .50 FG%

Winner = Andrew Bynum

As of right now, a 20 year old Bynum is arguably already a better defender/rebounder and has more impact on the defensive end than a 27 year old Yao. The choice is clear.

Im taking Yao and you can't be serious
MnM_McgradyMing
Senior
And1: 0

Re: Bynum vs Yao 

Post#88 » by MnM_McgradyMing » Tue Jan 8, 2008 10:47 am

KobeFarmarEra wrote:Starting a franchise, which one do you take?

Yes I'm a Lakers fan and I would unbiasedly take Bynum over Yao without thinking twice.
Kobay
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#89 » by Kobay » Tue Jan 8, 2008 11:12 am

Well, this is the thing if you take Bynum, he better come with Kareem and kobe's ship his arse statement. Without that we won't even have this thread.
dingclancy
Analyst
And1: 90

Post#90 » by dingclancy » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:16 pm

KobeFarmarEra wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I agree.

In order for the Lakers to go anywhere Bynum has to have the ability to step up in big games and especially in games where Kobe doesn't have it. Similar to what Kobe did (at 21/22) when he was winning titles with Shaq.

At this point Kobe has no excuse to have a bad night in big games bynum or no bynum
T.Duncan21
Junior
And1: 1

Post#91 » by T.Duncan21 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:10 pm

Once again... Bynum is not near Yao's level IMO and he'll never be. As for the opponent FG% stats that I see being used... U gotta remember that Bynum has played majority of the season playing against backup C's. Also his overall minute numbers are less, which means he has more energy to play defense. You can also include that Yao is responsible for HOU's offense and get doubled/tripled team frequently which also takes large amount of energy. Honestly, I'm gonna stop right there because I don't feel that this should even be a debate untiL Bynum proves otherwise.
SDChargers#1
Starter
And1: 104

Post#92 » by SDChargers#1 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:32 pm

T.Duncan21 wrote:Once again... Bynum is not near Yao's level IMO and he'll never be. As for the opponent FG% stats that I see being used... U gotta remember that Bynum has played majority of the season playing against backup C's. Also his overall minute numbers are less, which means he has more energy to play defense. You can also include that Yao is responsible for HOU's offense and get doubled/tripled team frequently which also takes large amount of energy. Honestly, I'm gonna stop right there because I don't feel that this should even be a debate untiL Bynum proves otherwise.

Another person talking out of their ass...

Bynum has been starting over the past month and putting up his best numbers of the season.

The only center that has consistently shut down Bynum this year is Yao and Perkins.

Bynum has abused Kaman and Amare (the same guy that people say is leagues better than Bynum)

How can you possibly say he will never be as good as Yao? What are you basing that on?
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#93 » by Smills91 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:39 pm

Why is this even a thread? Yao NO QUESTION.

IBTL
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,098

Post#94 » by dockingsched » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:40 pm

what happened to your hawes > bynum stuff? :lol:
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Baller 24
RealGM

Post#95 » by Baller 24 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:47 pm

[quote="SDChargers#1"][/quote]

Skill....

Bynum doesn't have the type of skill Yao does, Bynum is basically a less athletic version of Dwight Howard and Amare.

And you said that Kaman and Amare got abused by Bynum, then how come right now Amare and Kaman are putting up better numbers, and most likely close to all star selections...

Your just a hometown fan that bases everyone solely on stats...How about Tim Duncan? Tim Duncan is a 20 and 10 player as well, and about KG, hes also a legitimate 20 and 10 player, will people say in the future "wow Bynum has progressed so much, I think he is better then Duncan, Yao, KG".
Yao is more skilled, is about 7-8 inches taller, and has made a name for himself among NBA big men. Bynum will be a 20 and 10 player, but everyone is trying to say here that Yao just has more skill, and Bynum well looks like a player that will ultimately wash up after his athletic form fades away.
Jaykoolzboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 96

Post#96 » by Jaykoolzboy » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:26 pm

Why is this thread even existing?
Baller 24
RealGM

Post#97 » by Baller 24 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:29 pm

Jaykoolzboy wrote:Why is this thread even existing?

Seriously, im surprised it got to this many pages...but I still have a feeling that there will be more.
SDChargers#1
Starter

Post#98 » by SDChargers#1 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 9:41 pm

nsballer07 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Skill....

Bynum doesn't have the type of skill Yao does, Bynum is basically a less athletic version of Dwight Howard and Amare.

And you said that Kaman and Amare got abused by Bynum, then how come right now Amare and Kaman are putting up better numbers, and most likely close to all star selections...

Your just a hometown fan that bases everyone solely on stats...How about Tim Duncan? Tim Duncan is a 20 and 10 player as well, and about KG, hes also a legitimate 20 and 10 player, will people say in the future "wow Bynum has progressed so much, I think he is better then Duncan, Yao, KG".
Yao is more skilled, is about 7-8 inches taller, and has made a name for himself among NBA big men. Bynum will be a 20 and 10 player, but everyone is trying to say here that Yao just has more skill, and Bynum well looks like a player that will ultimately wash up after his athletic form fades away.

Ugh, you aren't listening. I have never said, and will not say that Bynum is better or more skillful than Yao right now. Yao is the best C in the league right now. We are talking about the FUTURE.

A less athletic version of Amare and Dwight? Yea a little, but he is also 2 inches taller than Dwight and 4 inches taller than Amare. His wingspan also dwarfs theirs and is close to 7'8''. Oh yea, and he is already 20 lbs heavier than Dwight and 35 lbs bigger than Amare. And his hands are just as good.

Yao is not 7-8 inches taller, he is about 5 inches taller.

The thing with Bynum is that he is already putting up 10 rpg. In a couple of years it isn't out of the question to see him putting up 13-15 rpg. And I hope that he gets compared to KG and Duncan. Is that supposed to be some kind of insult. I would take both of those guys over Yao.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,192
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#99 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Jan 8, 2008 9:48 pm

His Wingspan isn't 7'8, sounds like when everyone thought Dwight's was 7'8 and it is 7'4.....

Oh, and he's not 20 pounds heavier than Dwight, Dwight is at least 20 pounds over his listed 265, and Bynum after dropping weight is below his 285....
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
SDChargers#1
Starter

Post#100 » by SDChargers#1 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 9:52 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:His Wingspan isn't 7'8, sounds like when everyone thought Dwight's was 7'8 and it is 7'4.....

Oh, and he's not 20 pounds heavier than Dwight, Dwight is at least 20 pounds over his listed 265, and Bynum after dropping weight is below his 285....

Well I just go by what NBA.com tells me. Im not there to actually weigh them.

But based on what I have seen Bynum's wingspan is bigger than Dwight's.

Return to Player Comparisons