Where does Kobe rank on "greatest of all time" lists?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Re: Where does Kobe rank on "greatest of all time" lists? 

Post#61 » by tsherkin » Fri Jun 3, 2011 2:47 am

Black Feet wrote:Absurd? Kobe in the early 2000's was a much better defender than Lebron is now, you're probably too young to know.

That has never been true. Kobe in the early 2000s was a very good man defender... and not really close as a help defender. Lebron's even a better defensive rebounder. There isn't a sane argument to make here. He's bigger, he's more athletic, he's better at blocking shots, he's at worst a comparable man defender, he hits the defensive boards more effectively... there isn't really an area where Kobe actually does a BETTER job than Lebron, and only a couple where he even matches up. And that's not even know, that's 5-7 years ago.

Gongxi wrote:I think that's pointless. Why not just have a 'Greatest of All-Time' list based upon, ya know, how great you were at playing basketball?

Because it escapes the point of comparing within context? "Great" doesn't necessarily refer to talent level. If it did, then Charles Barkley would be one of the 10 best players in the history of the league and no one would bat an eye over that inclusion. And Kobe would be OUT of the top 10.

And it wouldn't be a meaningful ranking system because talent is self-evident. We can all look at Kobe and even the most violent hater has to recognize that a guy who can do what Kobe can is an amazing player; there are precious few players who have managed what he has. He's one of 8 guys to drop a 30/6/5 season (he, like Elgin Baylor, Tracy McGrady, has done it once; Lebron, Wilt (!) and West twice, Jordan 5 times, Oscar 6), which is pretty damned impressive. His 05-06 season speaks for itself.

There aren't a lot of guys who really stand up to that kind of production, it's good enough to slot him top 15 on that basis, but there are still guys who've done that, or done it more often, or done more incredible things... West and Oscar both have seasons that largely overshadow what Kobe has done (Oscar especially) and they were both legitimately great players without question. Incredible talents. There are some big men who impacted the game at a much higher level in an overall sense than did Kobe because they were considerably more valuable on D and of similar value offensively.

It's hard; comparing players isn't a precise science, so we try to look at everything in context and that often means separating how good a player was from how GREAT a player he was. At some point, great players are close enough to one another that the difference in their level of ability is stylistic, or perhaps semantic. For example, there's a pretty clear separation between prime Jordan and prime Kobe, but is that same distance there between Kobe and Charles? So what separates the two MVP-winning players with incredible stats? Watching the two, it's hard to really point to anything that REALLY separates them, except that perhaps you might argue that Charles was a better passer because of what he did from the 4 in that respect and that he was a better rebounder and at his peak, wildly more efficient as a similar-volume scorer.

But does that really tell the tale? You dig into defense, you dig into relative health, you dig into how he fit in with his teammates, what he was like as a locker room presence, etc, etc, etc. You dig into what each of them achieved, how good they were relative to their competition. So much comes up.

Ultimately, all you can really point to is that Kobe was more successful in the pursuit of titles and he has more All-Star MVPs. You can say he had more range, of course, and that he relied less on athleticism and more on scoring skill, but you can also say that his shot selection was a lot worse, or that like Charles, he sometimes holds the ball too long, etc, etc. So much stuff, back and worth, whiz whip bang, you know?

At some point, you can't separate players on the basis of how good they were as players, so the human compulsion to categorize and stratify comes into play and we start comparing by the next available set of traits: accolades and team accomplishments.
Black Feet
Sixth Man
And1: 115

Post#62 » by Black Feet » Fri Jun 3, 2011 2:52 am

GilmoreFan wrote:I'm not a Heat fan, and I say it too. When did Kobe shut down D.Rose or P.Pierce? Even with all the rep votes Kobe gets for All-D teams, he's never sniffed coming as close the DPOY as Lebron did last year. Ridiculous stuff.

Marcus Camby won DPOY is he a better defender than Duncan?
Gongxi
Banned User
And1: 27

Post#63 » by Gongxi » Fri Jun 3, 2011 3:03 am

tsherkin wrote:
Gongxi wrote:I think that's pointless. Why not just have a 'Greatest of All-Time' list based upon, ya know, how great you were at playing basketball?

Because it escapes the point of comparing within context? "Great" doesn't necessarily refer to talent level. If it did, then Charles Barkley would be one of the 10 best players in the history of the league and no one would bat an eye over that inclusion. And Kobe would be OUT of the top 10.

#1- I'm talking about how well someone plays basketball in the NBA. That's contrasted with 'talent', which would be how well they could play basketball if only X, Y, and Z. Talent need not enter the equation, aside from that you need to it to produce on the basketball court at a high level.

#2- If that production included Barkley and excluded Kobe...so? Is that bad or something?

And it wouldn't be a meaningful ranking system because talent is self-evident. We can all look at Kobe and even the most violent hater has to recognize that a guy who can do what Kobe can is an amazing player; there are precious few players who have managed what he has. He's one of 8 guys to drop a 30/6/5 season (he, like Elgin Baylor, Tracy McGrady, has done it once; Lebron, Wilt (!) and West twice, Jordan 5 times, Oscar 6), which is pretty damned impressive. His 05-06 season speaks for itself.

Okay, then he's really, really, really good at playing basketball. Let's judge him on that! We can make a list of the ones who are really, really, really good- hell, let's call it great- at playing basketball and call it it the really, really, really best of all time list. Or ****, we can even call it the greatest of all time list.

There aren't a lot of guys who really stand up to that kind of production, it's good enough to slot him top 15 on that basis, but there are still guys who've done that, or done it more often, or done more incredible things... West and Oscar both have seasons that largely overshadow what Kobe has done (Oscar especially) and they were both legitimately great players without question. Incredible talents. There are some big men who impacted the game at a much higher level in an overall sense than did Kobe because they were considerably more valuable on D and of similar value offensively.

So then put them above him on our hypothetical list of greatest basketball players of all time?

It's hard; comparing players isn't a precise science, so we try to look at everything in context and that often means separating how good a player was from how GREAT a player he was. At some point, great players are close enough to one another that the difference in their level of ability is stylistic, or perhaps semantic. For example, there's a pretty clear separation between prime Jordan and prime Kobe, but is that same distance there between Kobe and Charles? So what separates the two MVP-winning players with incredible stats? Watching the two, it's hard to really point to anything that REALLY separates them, except that perhaps you might argue that Charles was a better passer because of what he did from the 4 in that respect and that he was a better rebounder and at his peak, wildly more efficient as a similar-volume scorer.

Right. It's going to be difficult to judge the very best. I don't think that's a reason to shrink away from it and start depending on how well their GMs did in putting a team together or how well their teammates stepped up to make it easier.

But does that really tell the tale? You dig into defense, you dig into relative health, you dig into how he fit in with his teammates, what he was like as a locker room presence, etc, etc, etc. You dig into what each of them achieved, how good they were relative to their competition. So much comes up.

Why? Why does how good their coach was or how much the media did or didn't like them have to come into the equation any more than is absolutely necessary (through unconscious bias)?

Ultimately, all you can really point to is that Kobe was more successful in the pursuit of titles and he has more All-Star MVPs. You can say he had more range, of course, and that he relied less on athleticism and more on scoring skill, but you can also say that his shot selection was a lot worse, or that like Charles, he sometimes holds the ball too long, etc, etc. So much stuff, back and worth, whiz whip bang, you know?

At some point, you can't separate players on the basis of how good they were as players, so the human compulsion to categorize and stratify comes into play and we start comparing by the next available set of traits: accolades and team accomplishments.

We don't need to, is the point. Those 'traits' (those aren't traits as basketball players at all) don't make it any easier anyway, really, as exhibited by all the mindless threads here on the PC board.

Just base the greatest basketball players list on how great they were at playing basketball. It seems so obvious- not that there will be a consensus list somehow, but that isn't really the point either way- that it bothers me when otherwise intelligent people are so resistant to it. If you think Barkley or Malone or someone is better than Kobe or Duncan or Garnett then just list them higher. And when someone like Black Feet or the like gets insulted by it and demands to know why, just say "Yeah, actually I think they were just better basketball players" and use some evidence to back that up.

Shockingly, there are players that never won championships that are better than players that did- All-Stars even! There's no harm in ranking basketball players by how well they played basketball. No need to get their teammates, coaches, or GMs involved.
GilmoreFan
Banned User
And1: 2
Location: Dzra- KG's supporting casts on the Wolves were not similarly bad to anyone of his generation

Post#64 » by GilmoreFan » Fri Jun 3, 2011 3:10 am

Of course Camby isn't, though he's a great help defender. But my point is that even by a flawed system that has overrated Kobe heartily, Lebron is still ranked higher. That's the final blow to Kobe really. Nothing at all stands in his favour, not even the media.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by tsherkin » Fri Jun 3, 2011 3:13 am

Gongxi wrote:#1- I'm talking about how well someone plays basketball in the NBA. That's contrasted with 'talent', which would be how well they could play basketball if only X, Y, and Z. Talent need not enter the equation, aside from that you need to it to produce on the basketball court at a high level.

Again though, even if you just look at production and realized potential, there are a LOT of players who are at a comparable level, a nearly indistinguishable level. So comparing only on the basis of ability loses meaning past a certain point, with very few exceptions.

Or ****, we can even call it the greatest of all time list.

But then it's just a list, not a ranked list, because again, past a point, guys bleed together and there really isn't a lot to distinguish them apart from how they distinguished themselves (or didn't) from their peers and how their teams fared.

What's the meaningful separation between Jerry West and Kobe Bryant, for example?

Right. It's going to be difficult to judge the very best. I don't think that's a reason to shrink away from it and start depending on how well their GMs did in putting a team together or how well their teammates stepped up to make it easier.

Not difficult; practically impossible. BIG difference.

Why? Why does how good their coach was or how much the media did or didn't like them have to come into the equation any more than is absolutely necessary (through unconscious bias)?

Because after a point it's the only way to distinguish two players who achieved basically the same level of success on the court...

We don't need to, is the point.

And you're flagrantly incorrect, is my counter-assertion.

Shockingly, there are players that never won championships that are better than players that did- All-Stars even!

I agree completely. I don't think just ranking players on the basis of how good they were is all that meaningful, though, because it's literally nothing but subjective opinion based around a series of players who are frequently very close in terms of ability and thus basically indistinguishable. The alternative isn't much better, of course, but it's better than nothing.
Gongxi
Banned User

Post#66 » by Gongxi » Fri Jun 3, 2011 3:22 am

So let me get this straight: because ostensibly you can't separate Jerry West and Kobe Bryant, you'll just say "Well Kobe had better teammates, coaches, and GMs, so we'll just put him above West here my list of greatest basketball players"?

Maybe you should just put players into tiers then, instead of doing some (many?) a disservice because you can't differentiate between them. Maybe just go out and say that, instead of making a "Greatest of All Time" list that is majorly dependent on people other than the players themselves.

Or just not have a list at all. Either option would be better than placing some players over others for things that have nothing to do with the players at all.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by tsherkin » Fri Jun 3, 2011 3:23 am

Gongxi wrote:So let me get this straight: because ostensibly you can't separate Jerry West and Kobe Bryant, you'll just say "Well Kobe had better teammates, coaches, and GMs, so we'll just put him above West"?

It's emblematic of a larger problem, not just because of that specific comparison.

Maybe you should just put players into tiers then, instead of doing some (many?) a disservice because you can't differentiate between them. Maybe just go out and say that instead of making a "Greatest of All Time" list that is majorly dependent on people other than the players themselves.

I don't even see why you're wasting time arguing this. Tiers would be a more efficient overall solution, but you know full well that no one will accept that.

Or just not have a list at all. Either option would be better than placing some players over others for things that have nothing to do with the players at all.

But the list has nothing to do with the players, it never did; it has everything to do with the people creating the lists, that's the point.
Gongxi
Banned User

Post#68 » by Gongxi » Fri Jun 3, 2011 3:32 am

Aren't you a person creating a list?!

If you think the way other people are doing is wrong and useless as far as judging how good players actually are say something and correct them. If enough people do it, it will become the standard.

It's not like we're trying to change a presidential election here. There's only 50-60 posters here at any given time that are taken seriously when it comes to making comparing the greatest players (at most), and this is- unfortunately- the preeminent NBA fansite. If 10 people start ranking players based upon how well they play as opposed to who didn't have enough help and who did, that's enough to affect real change.

Just rank players based upon how well they play/played basketball. It seems like it's such a simple idea that it boggles people's minds. If you can't tell a significant difference, put them in a 1a/1b/1c, 4a/4b/4c/4d, 8a/8b, 10/whatever type system. It's not like the a/b thing is unheard of.

If you don't think something is right, stop participating in perpetuating the problem. Again, that might be difficult when it comes to 6 billion people and carbon emissions, it's not hard when you yourself are a full 2% of the player comparison community on the premier NBA forum in the world. Just be logical.

Let's try it: Can I see a list of your top ten best basketball players of all time? If you will but can't know cause you'll need more time, let me know, I'll think over mine and we can make a new thread down the road. Let me know either way, though.
drza
Analyst
And1: 1,852

Post#69 » by drza » Fri Jun 3, 2011 3:33 am

tsherkin wrote:
Gongxi wrote:#1- I'm talking about how well someone plays basketball in the NBA. That's contrasted with 'talent', which would be how well they could play basketball if only X, Y, and Z. Talent need not enter the equation, aside from that you need to it to produce on the basketball court at a high level.

Again though, even if you just look at production and realized potential, there are a LOT of players who are at a comparable level, a nearly indistinguishable level. So comparing only on the basis of ability loses meaning past a certain point, with very few exceptions.

Or ****, we can even call it the greatest of all time list.

But then it's just a list, not a ranked list, because again, past a point, guys bleed together and there really isn't a lot to distinguish them apart from how they distinguished themselves (or didn't) from their peers and how their teams fared.

What's the meaningful separation between Jerry West and Kobe Bryant, for example?

Not difficult; practically impossible. BIG difference.

Because after a point it's the only way to distinguish two players who achieved basically the same level of success on the court...

We don't need to, is the point.

And you're flagrantly incorrect, is my counter-assertion.

Shockingly, there are players that never won championships that are better than players that did- All-Stars even!

I agree completely. I don't think just ranking players on the basis of how good they were is all that meaningful, though, because it's literally nothing but subjective opinion based around a series of players who are frequently very close in terms of ability and thus basically indistinguishable. The alternative isn't much better, of course, but it's better than nothing.

I tend to agree more with Gongxi here. It seems to me that you guys are arguing whether it's better to not really have a direct way to compare across era (which I think is accurate) or whether it's better to use things that are out of the player's control (like teammates, competition,etc) to come up with a distinction.

To me, that sounds like a difference between accurately not having a way to distinguish or coming up with a false method to do it. I tend to think the former is better than the latter. These lists ARE subjective. Even adding in team accolades, they're still incredibly subjective. I'd much rather have a subjective discussion about the players themselves than to worry about if playing with Russell makes someone better or worse than playing with Tyson Chandler. When in reality, the answer is neither...their teammates weren't relevant at all in determining who was actually better. IMO.
Creator of the Hoops Lab: tinyurl.com/mpo2brj
Contributor to NylonCalculusDOTcom
Contributor to TYTSports: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTbFEVCpx9shKEsZl7FcRHzpGO1dPoimk
Follow on Twitter: @ProfessorDrz
UDRIH14
General Manager
And1: 662

Post#70 » by UDRIH14 » Fri Jun 3, 2011 3:42 am

his at least ranked 10-12...mind you guys from 7-12 are only seperated with a few variables, while some guys withing the 7-10 ranges has a case to make a argument for #6 which is a tier above...
GilmoreFan
Banned User
Location: Dzra- KG's supporting casts on the Wolves were not similarly bad to anyone of his generation

Post#71 » by GilmoreFan » Fri Jun 3, 2011 3:48 am

Gongxi is a sensible fellow.
Krodis
Lead Assistant
And1: 599

Post#72 » by Krodis » Fri Jun 3, 2011 4:11 am

I tend to agree with Gonxi, but at the same time, I have an exception to make. The difference between "best" and "greatest" to me, in the context of these lists, is no team success or awards or any of that: it's LONGEVITY. If we're weighing the careers of players here, something has to be said for doing it longer. Playing great for 15 years is surely better than playing great for 7. This is why I have Kareem at #2 despite not thinking him the second "best" player of all time, peak-wise. Or why Tracy McGrady had a borderline Top 10 peak year (possibly extremely flukey, admittedly.), but won't sniff even the Top 50.

But I do agree that ranking people on how good they were at basketball is a more useful exercise than ranking people on other extraneous crap that had nothing to do with them.
The_Trade_Seer
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#73 » by The_Trade_Seer » Fri Jun 3, 2011 4:23 am

Lebron is the most physically gifted and talented player to ever step foot on a basketball court, period. Jordan, Kobe, Erving, etc, none are even close. However "gifted" and "talented" generally doesn't figure into the GOAT arguments as those have to do with titles, accolades, etc.

GOAT:
1.) Kareem
2) Jordan
3.) Kobe

ACCOMPLISHED:
1.) Russel
2.) Kareem
3.) Jordan

GIFTED/TALENTED:
1.) Lebron
2.) Shaq
3.) Chamberlain

DOMINANT (as in couldn't be stopped defensively):
1.) Shaq
2.) Chamberlain
3.) No one else is close to the top 2

When Kobe is all said and done his career stats will make Jordan's look silly. Kobe will probably retire as the NBA's all-time leading regular season, all-star and playoffs scorer and will probably retire with more points, rebounds, assists and a higher FT and 3PT % than Jordan ... he may have more rings as well. At that point Kobe will be looked on as a top 2 GOAT choice by most, ahead of Kareem.

When Lebron hangs up his sneakers his career stats will probably make Kobe's look silly and he will also probably retire as the NBA's all-time leading scorer, despite him not even being a pure scorer or dedicated to leading the league in scoring. When his career is over Lebron will be considered by many to be the most gifted player to ever lace em up but unless he wins 7+ titles will not be considered the GOAT by the majority.

When Kevin Durant retires he will probably surpass Kobe and Lebron and retire as the NBA's all-time leading scorer but unless he experiences some massive team success or dedicates himself to being an elite defender he may never even crack TOP 10 GOAT status in most people's minds.
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#74 » by Volcano » Fri Jun 3, 2011 4:32 am

Gongxi and tsherk both make good points, although I didn't read everything..just assuming they did.

Perceived greatness takes into account your career accomplishments when you're a superstar, which has a lot to do with being in a good situation.

imo, players should be ranked based on who you would want to draft for your team on an all-time list, assuming they have to stay on your team for their entire career. When you do that, you have to take into account longevity, durability, impact, character.
supfoo
Junior
And1: 0

Post#75 » by supfoo » Fri Jun 3, 2011 4:35 am

not to derail this mini debate because its dope but...

is realgm really the preeminent destination for nba fans now? i never knew that lol.
"The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones." - Confucius
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#76 » by Doormatt » Fri Jun 3, 2011 4:41 am

gongxi and sherkin just tl:dr'd this thread.
#doorgek
Rupert Murdoch
Starter
And1: 1,906

Post#77 » by Rupert Murdoch » Fri Jun 3, 2011 5:08 am

Kobe might be a top ten guard of all-time.

Signed,
Michael Jordan
Jacks25
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#78 » by Jacks25 » Fri Jun 3, 2011 6:49 am

Top 10 ever.

Kobe at his peak (06-07) was the best scorer ever not named Jordan and he combined that with elite non-PG play-making, good defense, excellent clutch-play/take-over ability, very good re-bounding (from a guard) and a better skill-set than anyone in the league. Also has excellent intangibles in terms of work-ethic, competitiveness, toughness etc. :)
RandomKnight
Junior
And1: 0

Post#79 » by RandomKnight » Fri Jun 3, 2011 7:35 am

Dr Mufasa wrote:11 and down for me. I put Jordan, Kareem, Russell, Magic, Bird, Wilt, Shaq, Duncan, Hakeem, Lebron ahead for sure. Kobe can go against anyone after that.

I don't care how many posts you have. If you're serious, you've just destroyed your credibility with any rational basketball fan. wow.
GilmoreFan
Banned User

Post#80 » by GilmoreFan » Fri Jun 3, 2011 7:39 am

Have you read the top 100 thread? I have, and there's quite alot of intelligent, drawn out discussion about players there. Same with the RPOY thread. None of those do your interpretation of Kobe many favours. But hey, a bold assertion beats logical argument.

Return to Player Comparisons