RealGM Top 100 List -- 2011

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,103

Re: RealGM Top 100 List 

Post#1021 » by therealbig3 » Sun May 18, 2014 10:25 pm

spree8 wrote:I disagree on the defensive end. Are we using defensive ratings or defensive win shares because Kobe has much higher ratings and Duncan has a 3 point differential on win shares...very good, up there with greats of course but you're acting as though Kobe is a slouch. Again, he also has more all defensive 1st team tied with great defenders...again...MJ KG and Glove. Their offensive ability and production is a massive difference. Just because Duncan can draw a double team and pass out of it doesn't make him close to Kobe...that's insane. Look at all the areas I mentioned he is better than Duncan in on the offensive end. Add his 81 point record, 3pt record, most consecutive free throw record, all time scoring list record...c'mon fellas.

A higher defensive rating is a bad thing. With DRating, the lower the better. And anyway, I don't really care for individual DRating anyway, it's only useful when evaluating teams.

I'm also pretty sure that a 3 point differential in DWS is a pretty big deal.

I'm not really going to get into WHY All-D teams really don't mean anything to me, because you seem pretty convinced that they're telling you something, but to me, this is just an appeal to authority.

And if we're going along those lines...then what about the opinions of Phil Jackson and Tex Winter? They've criticized Kobe for being a lazy defender. And it's true, his off-ball defense leaves a lot to be desired, even during his defensive prime.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,847

Post#1022 » by spree8 » Sun May 18, 2014 10:32 pm

therealbig3 wrote:
spree8 wrote:I disagree on the defensive end. Are we using defensive ratings or defensive win shares because Kobe has much higher ratings and Duncan has a 3 point differential on win shares...very good, up there with greats of course but you're acting as though Kobe is a slouch. Again, he also has more all defensive 1st team tied with great defenders...again...MJ KG and Glove. Their offensive ability and production is a massive difference. Just because Duncan can draw a double team and pass out of it doesn't make him close to Kobe...that's insane. Look at all the areas I mentioned he is better than Duncan in on the offensive end. Add his 81 point record, 3pt record, most consecutive free throw record, all time scoring list record...c'mon fellas.

A higher defensive rating is a bad thing. With DRating, the lower the better. And anyway, I don't really care for individual DRating anyway, it's only useful when evaluating teams.

I'm also pretty sure that a 3 point differential in DWS is a pretty big deal.

I'm not really going to get into WHY All-D teams really don't mean anything to me, because you seem pretty convinced that they're telling you something, but to me, this is just an appeal to authority.

And if we're going along those lines...then what about the opinions of Phil Jackson and Tex Winter? They've criticized Kobe for being a lazy defender. And it's true, his off-ball defense leaves a lot to be desired, even during his defensive prime.

Oh boy that's my bad lol...read them wrong. If Duncan has the edge, I wouldn't say it's as big as the edge Kobe has on offense though. I'm also not saying the defensive teams are everything, but they do count for something. That's why they're there...I mean to have only MJ KG and Glove having the record...I'd say that trio is amongst the best ever...so people had to be getting it right no? Kobe is up there with them and although he could be lazy at times...it wasn't the constant.
NormanTwain
Sophomore
And1: 111

Post#1023 » by NormanTwain » Sun May 18, 2014 11:30 pm

spree8 wrote:Oh boy that's my bad lol...read them wrong. If Duncan has the edge, I wouldn't say it's as big as the edge Kobe has on offense though. I'm also not saying the defensive teams are everything, but they do count for something. That's why they're there...I mean to have only MJ KG and Glove having the record...I'd say that trio is amongst the best ever...so people had to be getting it right no? Kobe is up there with them and although he could be lazy at times...it wasn't the constant.

They are a popularity contest, so they don't really count for much. Objectively speaking, Kobe hasn't been a consistent great perimeter defender since he fell in love with offense in '00.

What separates MJ, KG, and Payton is that they also won DPOY (also a popularity contest, but a significantly inferior defender like Kobe could never be snuck in ahead of great defenders) awards in their primes - Kobe has never been close to winning one.

When I think of Kobe's recent defense, I think of this.

The impact that Duncan has defensively year after year is leagues ahead of what Kobe was every capable of.

Kobe is known for putting a ton of pressure on his teammates for his constant gambling on defense, and lack of effort. His All-NBA selections were a result of his reputation of once being one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. Statistically, you can't really make a case for him being worthy for the majority of his selections.
Image Image
spree8
RealGM

Post#1024 » by spree8 » Sun May 18, 2014 11:59 pm

Does anyone account for the type of defense used? What if it's not man to man? Wouldn't the stats be misleading? Duncan never won DPOY either despite being better statistically than Kobe. I dunno, I just don't think Tim's defense is enough to put him ahead of Kobe. Though it's like 4 against 1 here lol I do believe there's a lot of people out there that believe the things Kobe is better than Tim at, make him the better player overall including things that don't show up in stats. Just put me in the same category as Magic, Shaq, Dr J, Barkley, KSmith, Lebron, Durant, Legler, and Broussard that think he's top 5 (6th in KSmith and Broussard's case). Whatever they are, I guess I am too.
NormanTwain
Sophomore
And1: 111

Post#1025 » by NormanTwain » Mon May 19, 2014 12:24 am

What type of defensive system is it to constantly gamble, and be out of position putting pressure on your teammates, and to refuse to put in effort?

Kobe doesn't do much of anything better Duncan. He can score more, but only as a result of taking attempts away from significantly more efficient players. He single handedly buried numerous HoF Super teams because of it.
Image Image
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,521

Post#1026 » by Doctor MJ » Mon May 19, 2014 12:31 am

spree8 wrote:Oh boy that's my bad lol...read them wrong. If Duncan has the edge, I wouldn't say it's as big as the edge Kobe has on offense though. I'm also not saying the defensive teams are everything, but they do count for something. That's why they're there...I mean to have only MJ KG and Glove having the record...I'd say that trio is amongst the best ever...so people had to be getting it right no? Kobe is up there with them and although he could be lazy at times...it wasn't the constant.

If we look at Duncan & Kobe using offensive & defensive RAPM (let me know if you need me to explain more on this), we see a drastic difference on the defensive end.

Averaging their 5 best years together on offense:
Kobe +7.39
Duncan +4.75

An on defense:
Duncan +6.22
Kobe +0.79

As you can see by that metric, it absolutely supports that Kobe's the better offensive player, and also says Kobe's offense is more impressive than Duncan's defense. But whereas Duncan looks like a star on defense, Kobe's All-Defensive Team reputation never materializes.

How could the authorities be so wrong? The sad truth is that whenever we have accolades that are determined by folks who aren't using stats, the results suck. That might sound subjective of me, but it really isn't. Players get reputations for being good, and basically continue getting accolades until something extremely blatant happens to change it.

Now, there are certainly plenty of times where the actual gaining of the reputation comes as a result of actual spectacular impact, and in such cases then we're simply talking about a player who might have a little bit of cushion on their accolade longevity. Not such a big deal.

Kobe's a more egregious case though. Basically at no point in his career is their any major positive correlation with his presence and actual defensive efficacy. Yet, he made All-D tons of times. What happened?

1) In the absence of good stats, reputations tend to come anecdotally. A player who shows some aptitude for strong man defense in a few circumstances while his team succeeds is likely to be viewed in general as a good defender even if he doesn't play like that in general.

In Kobe's case, we're talking about an offensive star who often conserved energy on the defensive end. Hence there's an explanation already for why his actual impact is pretty far off from what you'd expect in his best moment.

I'll also note that part of the advantage bigs tend to have in terms of two-way impact is that it takes less energy for them to have that impact on each end. A big can have defensive impact while essentially waiting for the play to come to him, whereas a perimeter player who isn't moving all over the place basically isn't doing that much. This means that All-D accolades aside, Duncan getting the edge over Kobe here isn't really a weird thing saying something about Kobe.

2) In the absence of complete stats, reputations tend to be built on what's available. Hence, a guy who gets blocks or steals is going to stand out even if what he's doing is problematic. This is especially true for guys getting steals, and Kobe's a great example of this. If you're on defense, and your man doesn't have the ball, the biggest play you're likely to be able to make is to go away from your man and steal the ball from the unsuspecting ballhandler. When you do this successfully you have huge impact - and you also often get a couple of points in your box score.

When you attempt to do this though, you're opening up holes in your team's defense that can be exploited when you fail. This is why you don't see constant double and triple teams after all. It's risky business, and many players who pull this sort of thing too often are yelled at and benched. But of course Kobe's not some random player, he's Kobe. So he gets to keep doing this sort of thing - and thus keep having flashy "help" defense plays in addition to his "lockdown" reputation.

The added irony to this is that it goes without saying that you can't be both of these things - man defender & help defender - at once, and as such it should be seen suspiciously when a guy gets a reputation for both things....

3) but when you win titles, people have a tendency not to look at things you do wrong. You get a lot more "Well, he must know what he's doing". An understandable thought...but we've got the stats to really evaluate things now, and it's just not true.

4) Kobe's been able to develop the reputation of being extremely smart and extremely hard-working. Put these together with the questions above and they appear to assuage the doubts. "How can he be great at both man & help defense?", "Well, he works so hard all the time, and he's so smart he knows just when to switch roles!"

But of course, the fact that the data says the concerns about this behavior hold more true than the reputation makes things swing in a very different direction:

If a guy capable of significant defensive impact typically doesn't actually pull this off while making choices like this, they basically say that he isn't working THAT hard on defense and his BBIQ isn't THAT great.

And so then, that gets us to impasse we reach with cognitive dissonance with regards to Kobe. While all agree he had superstar impact, the gap between the typical fan's perception of Kobe and what the data actually shows is big enough that many will simply ignore the data.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#1027 » by Doctor MJ » Mon May 19, 2014 12:35 am

spree8 wrote:Does anyone account for the type of defense used? What if it's not man to man? Wouldn't the stats be misleading?

Virtually all NBA defenses are man-to-man. Zone defense wasn't even legal while Kobe was gaining his reputation.

Regardless, if you go for a steal, you're abandoning your post. It's not necessarily a bad play depending on its success, but there's never going to be a time where a failed steal attempt is perfectly "OK". A player need not necessarily be berated for such a thing, but in his poor judgment in that one instance, he has hurt the team.

spree8
RealGM

Post#1028 » by spree8 » Mon May 19, 2014 1:01 am

Doctor MJ wrote:

If we look at Duncan & Kobe using offensive & defensive RAPM (let me know if you need me to explain more on this), we see a drastic difference on the defensive end.

Averaging their 5 best years together on offense:
Kobe +7.39
Duncan +4.75

An on defense:
Duncan +6.22
Kobe +0.79

As you can see by that metric, it absolutely supports that Kobe's the better offensive player, and also says Kobe's offense is more impressive than Duncan's defense. But whereas Duncan looks like a star on defense, Kobe's All-Defensive Team reputation never materializes.

How could the authorities be so wrong? The sad truth is that whenever we have accolades that are determined by folks who aren't using stats, the results suck. That might sound subjective of me, but it really isn't. Players get reputations for being good, and basically continue getting accolades until something extremely blatant happens to change it.

Now, there are certainly plenty of times where the actual gaining of the reputation comes as a result of actual spectacular impact, and in such cases then we're simply talking about a player who might have a little bit of cushion on their accolade longevity. Not such a big deal.

Kobe's a more egregious case though. Basically at no point in his career is their any major positive correlation with his presence and actual defensive efficacy. Yet, he made All-D tons of times. What happened?

1) In the absence of good stats, reputations tend to come anecdotally. A player who shows some aptitude for strong man defense in a few circumstances while his team succeeds is likely to be viewed in general as a good defender even if he doesn't play like that in general.

In Kobe's case, we're talking about an offensive star who often conserved energy on the defensive end. Hence there's an explanation already for why his actual impact is pretty far off from what you'd expect in his best moment.

I'll also note that part of the advantage bigs tend to have in terms of two-way impact is that it takes less energy for them to have that impact on each end. A big can have defensive impact while essentially waiting for the play to come to him, whereas a perimeter player who isn't moving all over the place basically isn't doing that much. This means that All-D accolades aside, Duncan getting the edge over Kobe here isn't really a weird thing saying something about Kobe.

2) In the absence of complete stats, reputations tend to be built on what's available. Hence, a guy who gets blocks or steals is going to stand out even if what he's doing is problematic. This is especially true for guys getting steals, and Kobe's a great example of this. If you're on defense, and your man doesn't have the ball, the biggest play you're likely to be able to make is to go away from your man and steal the ball from the unsuspecting ballhandler. When you do this successfully you have huge impact - and you also often get a couple of points in your box score.

When you attempt to do this though, you're opening up holes in your team's defense that can be exploited when you fail. This is why you don't see constant double and triple teams after all. It's risky business, and many players who pull this sort of thing too often are yelled at and benched. But of course Kobe's not some random player, he's Kobe. So he gets to keep doing this sort of thing - and thus keep having flashy "help" defense plays in addition to his "lockdown" reputation.

The added irony to this is that it goes without saying that you can't be both of these things - man defender & help defender - at once, and as such it should be seen suspiciously when a guy gets a reputation for both things....

3) but when you win titles, people have a tendency not to look at things you do wrong. You get a lot more "Well, he must know what he's doing". An understandable thought...but we've got the stats to really evaluate things now, and it's just not true.

4) Kobe's been able to develop the reputation of being extremely smart and extremely hard-working. Put these together with the questions above and they appear to assuage the doubts. "How can he be great at both man & help defense?", "Well, he works so hard all the time, and he's so smart he knows just when to switch roles!"

But of course, the fact that the data says the concerns about this behavior hold more true than the reputation makes things swing in a very different direction:

If a guy capable of significant defensive impact typically doesn't actually pull this off while making choices like this, they basically say that he isn't working THAT hard on defense and his BBIQ isn't THAT great.

And so then, that gets us to impasse we reach with cognitive dissonance with regards to Kobe. While all agree he had superstar impact, the gap between the typical fan's perception of Kobe and what the data actually shows is big enough that many will simply ignore the data.

Appreciate you taking the time for that response. Interesting way of looking at it that I haven't before. I was thinking about how the defensive numbers are usually easier to come by for a big man, and you articulated it perfectly. Kobe coming up big (defensively) in important games, certainly makes his defense stand out and that may be the reason we overlook a lot of the breaks he takes.

Now that we have the defensive end and offensive end split, what about the intangibles? How do we decide definitively, who the better player was?

And what about Magic, Bird, Shaq and Dream? I haven't really seen any comprehensive data explaining why they're above, besides opinions with little explanation. Is there a link to a previous discussion maybe because I read this entire thread and haven't seen any.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#1029 » by Doctor MJ » Mon May 19, 2014 1:23 am

spree8 wrote:Appreciate you taking the time for that response. Interesting way of looking at it that I haven't before. I was thinking about how the defensive numbers are usually easier to come by for a big man, and you articulated it perfectly. Kobe coming up big (defensively) in important games, certainly makes his defense stand out and that may be the reason we overlook a lot of the breaks he takes.

Now that we have the defensive end and offensive end split, what about the intangibles? How do we decide definitively, who the better player was?

And what about Magic, Bird, Shaq and Dream? I haven't really seen any comprehensive data explaining why they're above, besides opinions with little explanation. Is there a link to a previous discussion maybe because I read this entire thread and haven't seen any.

You're welcome.

Also, piggy backing on what you said: One can certainly argue that looking at Kobe's cumulative impact as a defender underrates his practical value on that front. If a player can "turn it on" when it matters, then knowing what that actual "turned on" value is could be said to be the true important thing. The thing is with Kobe is that we don't actually have much evidence of that either. Kobe isn't actually a player known for playing "next level" when he's playing the best in the biz in the playoffs, and the issues relating to his gambling don't ever go away because he mistakenly thinks he's doing the right thing.

Re: intangibles & holistic analysis. At a certain point we always go beyond what any set of numbers can give us. Final decisions will always be subjective. I think it's important though to go as far as you can objectively, and then only go against the objective data if you've got a really strong reason to.

As mentioned with someone like Kobe vs someone like Duncan, the thing is that the offensive vs defensive splits there are just so typical. It's particularly noteworthy in Kobe's case, but in general this is how Duncan managed to be more impactful than any perimeter player of his generation (LeBron would be the exception if you included him, but he's much younger than Duncan).

Re: What about older players? The further back you go, the less data we have, the less clarity we have.

Re: discussion? Go back to the first post and click on the names on the Top 100 list. Each corresponds to the thread where the voting happened, and each has discussion.

Additionally, I would say our best source for great conversation along these lines is the Retro POY project which has debates based on particular years.

Of course these projects ran in 2010 & 2011 respectively, so the debate is a bit out of date. People's opinions undoubtedly have been shaped in new ways in the 3 years since.

spree8
RealGM

Post#1030 » by spree8 » Mon May 19, 2014 1:30 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
spree8 wrote:Appreciate you taking the time for that response. Interesting way of looking at it that I haven't before. I was thinking about how the defensive numbers are usually easier to come by for a big man, and you articulated it perfectly. Kobe coming up big (defensively) in important games, certainly makes his defense stand out and that may be the reason we overlook a lot of the breaks he takes.

You're welcome.

Also, piggy backing on what you said: One can certainly argue that looking at Kobe's cumulative impact as a defender underrates his practical value on that front. If a player can "turn it on" when it matters, then knowing what that actual "turned on" value is could be said to be the true important thing. The thing is with Kobe is that we don't actually have much evidence of that either. Kobe isn't actually a player known for playing "next level" when he's playing the best in the biz in the playoffs, and the issues relating to his gambling don't ever go away because he mistakenly thinks he's doing the right thing.

Re: intangibles & holistic analysis. At a certain point we always go beyond what any set of numbers can give us. Final decisions will always be subjective. I think it's important though to go as far as you can objectively, and then only go against the objective data if you've got a really strong reason to.

As mentioned with someone like Kobe vs someone like Duncan, the thing is that the offensive vs defensive splits there are just so typical. It's particularly noteworthy in Kobe's case, but in general this is how Duncan managed to be more impactful than any perimeter player of his generation (LeBron would be the exception if you included him, but he's much younger than Duncan).

Re: What about older players? The further back you go, the less data we have, the less clarity we have.

Re: discussion? Go back to the first post and click on the names on the Top 100 list. Each corresponds to the thread where the voting happened, and each has discussion.

Additionally, I would say our best source for great conversation along these lines is the Retro POY project which has debates based on particular years.

Of course these projects ran in 2010 & 2011 respectively, so the debate is a bit out of date. People's opinions undoubtedly have been shaped in new ways in the 3 years since.

Great points...and I totally over-looked the links on each name lol. I gotta go check them out. Thanks again for your input and clarification.
The Infamous1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,024

Post#1031 » by The Infamous1 » Mon May 19, 2014 11:34 pm

I'd like to see Kobe's playoff record post shaq (06-12, didnt play in 2013) in comparison to other all time greats. Things like playoff series W/L, Record against 50 win teams, Record with Homecourt, record against teams with 3,4,5 SRS teams.
We can get paper longer than Pippens arms
DHodgkins
Bench Warmer
And1: 972

Post#1032 » by DHodgkins » Sat May 24, 2014 3:06 am

No Tony Parker? We gotta update this in the summer!
GTGTPWTW
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#1033 » by penbeast0 » Sat May 24, 2014 3:31 am

Planning on it
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Baller2014
Banned User
And1: 519

Post#1034 » by Baller2014 » Sat May 24, 2014 8:12 am

DHodgkins wrote:No Tony Parker? We gotta update this in the summer!

Yeh, he's ahead of Isiah at this point.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,485

Post#1035 » by Jaivl » Sat May 24, 2014 2:28 pm

Baller2014 wrote:
DHodgkins wrote:No Tony Parker? We gotta update this in the summer!

Yeh, he's ahead of Isiah at this point.

Isaiah*
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#1036 » by Quotatious » Sat May 24, 2014 3:09 pm

Jaivl wrote:Isaiah*

:lol: Exactly.

In 2011, Parker didn't even make the top 100, and now, three years later, he would be ranked ahead of the player who was voted as the 29th greatest player in NBA history? :o Even if you are very low on Isiah, and I know that I've personally often been very critical of Thomas, but there's no doubt in my mind that he was a better player than Parker. His superiority as a playoff performer might be enough to make a convincing case for him. He might be generally overrated by most fans, but he's still IMO a top 40 player quite firmly.
Baller2014
Banned User

Post#1037 » by Baller2014 » Sat May 24, 2014 3:45 pm

I don't really see how. Parker is arguably as good peak to peak, and he looks to have substantially more longevity in any event (and his career isn't over).
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,485

Post#1038 » by Jaivl » Sat May 24, 2014 5:47 pm

Baller2014 wrote:I don't really see how. Parker is arguably as good peak to peak, and he looks to have substantially more longevity in any event (and his career isn't over).

I'd say Parker's 2013 regular season is better than every regular season from Isiah, but Playoff Isiah is quite better than Parker ever was. Parker's career WS/48 goes from good in the regular season (0.150) to worse than league average in the playoffs (0.091). Isiah's goes from slightly above average in the regular season (0.109) to good in the postseason (0.143).

'13 Parker PO (21 G): 20.6 points, 7.0 assists, 1.1 steals, 2.5 turnovers, 52.1 TS%, .152 WS/48.
'90 Thomas PO (20 G): 20.5 points, 8.2 assists, 2.2 steals, 3.6 turnovers, 56.0 TS%, .194 WS/48.

Do you value more being a good #2/3 option in the regular season while playing with the GOAT PF and dissapearing in the playoff or being a #1 offensive option, mediocre in the regular season but way better in the postseason?
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,016

Post#1039 » by Owly » Sat May 24, 2014 8:42 pm

Jaivl wrote:
Baller2014 wrote:I don't really see how. Parker is arguably as good peak to peak, and he looks to have substantially more longevity in any event (and his career isn't over).

I'd say Parker's 2013 regular season is better than every regular season from Isiah, but Playoff Isiah is quite better than Parker ever was. Parker's career WS/48 goes from good in the regular season (0.150) to worse than league average in the playoffs (0.091). Isiah's goes from slightly above average in the regular season (0.109) to good in the postseason (0.143).

'13 Parker PO (21 G): 20.6 points, 7.0 assists, 1.1 steals, 2.5 turnovers, 52.1 TS%, .152 WS/48.
'90 Thomas PO (20 G): 20.5 points, 8.2 assists, 2.2 steals, 3.6 turnovers, 56.0 TS%, .194 WS/48.

Do you value more being a good #2/3 option in the regular season while playing with the GOAT PF and dissapearing in the playoff or being a #1 offensive option, mediocre in the regular season but way better in the postseason?

Not that Isiah doesn't have an advantage in the playoffs (on offense, though WS/48 is substantially over generous in crediting him with Detroit's D because he gambled to accumulate steals, whilst no stats defenders like Dumars especially but also Rodman, Laimbeer and Mahorn are under-credited and Isiah took the majority of his win shares on defense), but it should be noted that Isiah's worst years (rookie, and final two years) are conveniently the ones in which he didn't play in the playoffs, his longest playoff runs in his mid to late 20s, typically a player's prime. Meanwhile Parker is punished heavily for a long (but poor) playoff run as a 20 year old.

For what it's worth the offensive win shares/48 (if you don't think Isiah was the powerhouse behind the Pistons' D) for the playoff runs mentioned above

Parker '13 0.106666667
Thomas '90 0.088654354
Now that doesn't give Isiah credit for strong performance on the defensive boards for that playoffs which would close the gap but still hardly the substantial Thomas edge the normal WS numbers suggest.

If playoff performance is what is important how do Amare Stoudemire, Baron Davis, Shawn Kemp, Gus Williams, Derrick Coleman and Johnny Moore fare in the all time rankings? How about Frank Ramsey, Cliff Hagan and Bobby Wanzer?

Isiah as the number one option on O wheras Parker is 2/3 is at very least misleading. Isiah scored less than Dantley per game in '89 and than others both years on a per minute basis. He wasn't scoring 20 points per 36 minutes even in the '90 playoffs (clearly his best run in the title years). Detroit's offense shared the load quite a bit, whilst Parker has had to carry a larger load as a shot creator because of the likes of absolute non-scorers like Bowen. If you're going to criticize (playoff) Parker for something (and win shares, with it's focus on shooting efficiency does) it can't be for insufficient willingness to carry the load.
Baller2014
Banned User

Post#1040 » by Baller2014 » Sun May 25, 2014 1:02 am

Isaiah's rep as a #1 option is oversold a lot, even in the playoffs. He had some good games, but overall the guy was not efficient, or even that much of a scorer (like the guy above points out, he wasn't even the best scorer on the team some years). Move past the rep and it's hard to see the argument for Isaiah over Parker career wise.

Return to Player Comparisons