Re: RealGM Top 100 List 

Post#1061 » by LeBird » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:08 pm

How can I vote on this thing?
Baller2014
Banned User
And1: 519

Post#1062 » by Baller2014 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:14 pm

I really doubt they're going to let a guy with 51 posts who turns up just to vote participate. I could be wrong, but I don't think the idea is to have a popularity contest.
LeBird
Rookie
And1: 888

Post#1063 » by LeBird » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:32 pm

Baller2014 wrote:I really doubt they're going to let a guy with 51 posts who turns up just to vote participate. I could be wrong, but I don't think the idea is to have a popularity contest.

I'm generally more of a reader here. But if you have to post more that's fair enough, makes sense. I was just interested in this thread as I love player comparison discussions in general.
EJaggit
Starter
And1: 2,328

Post#1064 » by EJaggit » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:58 am

So I guess Duncan will never be above Larry Bird...........
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,103

Post#1065 » by therealbig3 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:04 am

LeBird wrote:
Baller2014 wrote:I really doubt they're going to let a guy with 51 posts who turns up just to vote participate. I could be wrong, but I don't think the idea is to have a popularity contest.

I'm generally more of a reader here. But if you have to post more that's fair enough, makes sense. I was just interested in this thread as I love player comparison discussions in general.

I don't think it really has as much to do with post count, just the quality of posts and how active you are in participating in discussions. If you engage in good, reasonable discussions from now until the project gets underway, I'm positive that you'd be allowed to vote.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,103

Post#1066 » by therealbig3 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:06 am

EJaggit wrote:So I guess Duncan will never be above Larry Bird...........

Why?
EJaggit
Starter

Post#1067 » by EJaggit » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:48 am

therealbig3 wrote:

Why?

Because that would mean TD is a top 5 player, what would have have to do in order to top Bird?
magicmerl
Analyst
And1: 830

Post#1068 » by magicmerl » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:40 pm

EJaggit wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:

Why?

Because that would mean TD is a top 5 player, what would have have to do in order to top Bird?

That pre-supposes that Bird is 6th. Maybe that was the case in 2011, but a recent realgm PC poll had Bird 9th in a top10 list.
ThaRegul8r
Head Coach
And1: 3,019

Post#1069 » by ThaRegul8r » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:18 pm

EJaggit wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:

Why?

I see you haven't been here long, and thus are unaware of the trends on this board.

• Bird will fall. If one has been on this board for any length of time, this is an outcome that is completely predictable.
  • Jordan will stay where he is, obviously.
  • Russell will fall. #2 was the highest he could possibly reach, and he's going to fall with the next project. Some of the people who voted him #2 last time have lowered their opinions of him since then, which will help...
  • Kareem, who will rise to #2, taking Russell's spot. There are some people like MacGill who don't rank him highly, but more of the people in the project do, and there are people in the project like ronnymac2 and TrueLAfan who have him #1, so he'll finish behind Jordan
  • Magic will fall. There've been a lot of threads questioning his position in the time since the last project, and this is where we'll see it bear fruit.
  • Wilt will fall. There's a possibility he drops outside of the top ten, depending on who the participants are. Ardee's in, so he'll defend Wilt, but he's balanced out by bastillon.
  • Shaq will rise. Shaq's got colts18, I don't see RayBan-Sematra. He's ronnymac2's favorite player, so there's a higher vote for him. I forgot MacGill as well, who has him third, so that's another.
  • Duncan will rise, benefiting from the drop of Magic, Wilt and Bird, and also from the fact that his fifth title win is fresh in everyone's minds. Dr Positivity's in, and he had Duncan as his #3.
  • Hakeem has people who says he's as high as #2 (e.g. lorak, 90sAllDecade), as well as people who say he's overrated. He'll benefit from the drop of Magic, Wilt and Bird, but on the other hand, LeBron's rising as well and will probably surpass him. It depends on how much this Finals loss impacts him in the perception of the voters. There was just a lengthy Duncan/Hakeem argument (which was a "Who would you choose" question, not "Who's better"), which will likely carry over into the project when the time comes.
  • Kobe supporters will duke it out with LeBron backers, as the former will be fighting to keep Kobe's spot in the top 10, as he was #10 last time as it was. It'll be ugly. An Unbiased Fan is in, so Kobe can count on his support. I don't see The Infamous 1. Kobe'll need him.
  • LeBron's obviously rising. He was #18 last time, and he's one of the primary reasons people wanted to re-do the Top 100 project. He'll end up bumping Kobe out of the top ten, which Kobe backers will fight tooth and nail to prevent. Though if Wilt falls outside the top ten, then Kobe will still remain. It would be possible for Kobe backers to strategize to take advantage of the drops of players currently higher on the list to keep Kobe in the top ten if people thought that deeply about it.
I remember your posts from the RPOY project, you consistently brought it. Please continue to do so, sir. This board needs guys like you to counteract ... worthless posters

Retirement isn’t the end of the road, but just a turn in the road. – Unknown
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Post#1070 » by PaulieWal » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:28 pm

ThaRegul8r wrote:snip...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I can't stop laughing at this perfect analysis. Well said.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
EJaggit
Starter

Post#1071 » by EJaggit » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:29 pm

ThaRegul8r wrote:
EJaggit wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:
Why?

I see you haven't been here long, and thus are unaware of the trends on this board.

• Bird will fall. If one has been on this board for any length of time, this is an outcome that is completely predictable.
  • Russell will fall. #2 was the highest he could possibly reach, and he's going to fall with the next project. Some of the people who voted him #2 last time have lowered their opinions of him since then, which will help...
  • Kareem, who will rise to #2, taking Russell's spot. There are some people like MacGill who don't rank him highly, but more of the people in the project do, and there are people in the project like ronnymac2 and TrueLAfan who have him #1, so he'll finish behind Jordan
  • Magic will fall. There've been a lot of threads questioning his position in the time since the last project, and this is where we'll see it bear fruit.
  • Wilt will fall. There's a possibility he drops outside of the top ten, depending on who the participants are. Ardee's in, so he'll defend Wilt, but he's balanced out by bastillon.
  • Shaq will rise. Shaq's got colts18, I don't see RayBan-Sematra. He's ronnymac2's favorite player, so there's a higher vote for him.
  • Duncan will rise, benefiting from the drop of Magic, Wilt and Bird, and also from the fact that his fifth title win is fresh in everyone's minds
  • Hakeem has people who says he's as high as #2, as well as people who say he's overrated. He'll benefit from the drop of Magic, Wilt and Bird, but on the other hand, LeBron's rising as well and will probably surpass him. It depends on how much this Finals loss impacts him in the perception of the voters. There was just a lengthy Duncan/Hakeem argument (which was a "Who would you choose" question, not "Who's better"), which will likely carry over into the project when the time comes.
  • Kobe supporters will duke it out with LeBron backers, as the former will be fighting to keep Kobe's spot in the top 10, as he was #10 last time as it was. It'll be ugly. An Unbiased Fan is in, so Kobe can count on his support. I don't see The Infamous 1. Kobe'll need him.
  • LeBron's obviously rising. He was #18 last time, and he's one of the primary reasons people wanted to re-do the Top 100 project. He'll end up bumping Kobe out of the top ten, which Kobe backers will fight tooth and nail to prevent. Though if Wilt falls outside the top ten, then Kobe will still remain. It would be possible for Kobe backers to strategize to take advantage of the drops of players currently higher on the list to keep Kobe in the top ten if people thought that deeply about it.

Incredible... Thanks for clearing that up it's cool how you guys do all of this can't wait to see the final list!
DQuinn1575
Sixth Man
And1: 705

Post#1072 » by DQuinn1575 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

ThaRegul8r wrote:
EJaggit wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:
Why?

• Shaq will rise. Shaq's got colts18, I don't see RayBan-Sematra. He's ronnymac2's favorite player, so there's a higher vote for him.
  • Duncan will rise, benefiting from the drop of Magic, Wilt and Bird, and also from the fact that his fifth title win is fresh in everyone's minds. Dr Positivity's in, and he had Duncan as his #3.
  • Hakeem has people who says he's as high as #2 (e.g. lorak, 90sAllDecade), as well as people who say he's overrated. He'll benefit from the drop of Magic, Wilt and Bird, but on the other hand, LeBron's rising as well and will probably surpass him. It depends on how much this Finals loss impacts him in the perception of the voters. There was just a lengthy Duncan/Hakeem argument (which was a "Who would you choose" question, not "Who's better"), which will likely carry over into the project when the time comes.

It seems the rankings might be more about the voters than the players.
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,786

Post#1073 » by G35 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:39 am

PaulieWal wrote:

I agree, great analysis on posters tendencies.....
I'm so tired of the typical......
andrewww
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#1074 » by andrewww » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:46 am

G35 wrote:
PaulieWal wrote:

We can count on a lack of support in the coming slots for a certain SG who wears purple and gold.

Colts18
Baller2014
Trex_8063

Just to name a few eligible voters.

Ah well.
D Nice
Veteran
And1: 473

Post#1075 » by D Nice » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:47 am

ThaRegul8r wrote:
EJaggit wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:
Why?

• Shaq will rise. Shaq's got colts18, I don't see RayBan-Sematra. He's ronnymac2's favorite player, so there's a higher vote for him. I forgot MacGill as well, who has him third, so that's another.
THE Realgm Visionary. Awesome stuff man. :lol:

I had no idea people legitimately degenerate Magic in contemporary circumstances due to "lack of position." I learned something new.

Count another +1
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,786

Post#1076 » by G35 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:19 am

andrewww wrote:
G35 wrote:
PaulieWal wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We can count on a lack of support in the coming slots for a certain SG who wears purple and gold.

Colts18
Baller2014
Trex_8063

Just to name a few eligible voters.

Ah well.

True, I think it will be a win if he is in the top 15......
I'm so tired of the typical......
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1077 » by PaulieWal » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:28 am

G35 wrote:True, I think it will be a win if he is in the top 15......

Top 15? That's a little hyperbolic. I see him getting voted in at 10 or 11.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
andrewww
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#1078 » by andrewww » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:39 am

PaulieWal wrote:

He'll be lucky to get in at 11 imo. Chances are, Magic/LeBron/Hakeem probably get in at 7-9, and then it's a crapshoot between Bird/KG/Kobe but KG is trending up and Bird/Kobe are trending down.
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1079 » by PaulieWal » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:42 am

andrewww wrote:
PaulieWal wrote:

He'll be lucky to get in at 11 imo. Chances are, Magic/LeBron/Hakeem probably get in at 7-9, and then it's a crapshoot between Bird/KG/Kobe but KG is trending up and Bird/Kobe are trending down.

Well I have Kobe at 10 and I don't have Hakeem in my top 10. I am not participating but I am keeping up with the threads as much as I can and I still don't see the case for Hakeem in the top 10. I see Magic at 7, LeBron at 8, Bird at 9, and Kobe at 10 (11) followed by Hakeem. I have come to appreciate KG's game a lot more after reading this board but I don't see him as a top 10 player of all-time. I have him closed to 15ish and you have to consider Dirk also because both are great players.
ThaRegul8r
Head Coach
And1: 3,019

Post#1080 » by ThaRegul8r » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:55 am

So... now that the new top ten has been decided, let's revisit.

The old top ten:

RealGM Top 100 List (2011)

1) Michael Jordan
2) Bill Russell
3) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4) Magic Johnson
5) Wilt Chamberlain
6) Larry Bird
7) Shaquille O'Neal
8) Tim Duncan
9) Hakeem Olajuwon
10) Kobe Bryant

The new top ten:

RealGM Top 100 List (2014)

1. Michael Jordan
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. Bill Russell
4. Wilt Chamberlain
5. Tim Duncan
6. Shaquille O'Neal
7. LeBron James
8. Magic Johnson
9. Hakeem Olajuwon
10. Larry Bird

ThaRegul8r wrote:

Dropped four places, from sixth to tenth. Correct. (1-0)

ThaRegul8r wrote:

The no-brainer. (2-0)

ThaRegul8r wrote:

Both correct. (4-0)

ThaRegul8r wrote:

Dropped four places, from fourth to eighth. Correct. (5-0)

ThaRegul8r wrote:

Miss. Wilt actually rose one spot. That was not foreseeable. (5-1)

ThaRegul8r wrote:

Rose from seventh to sixth. Correct. The fact that Wilt didn't fall, limited the amount Shaq could rise by. (6-1)

ThaRegul8r wrote:

Rose three places, from eighth to fifth. Correct. (7-1)

ThaRegul8r wrote:

Miss. Magic and Bird dropped, but not Wilt. Hakeem actually stayed where he was, and thus didn't benefit at all. LeBron did pass him. (7-2)

ThaRegul8r wrote:

Miss, because LeBron got voted in at #7 before Kobe even got into the picture. (7-3)

ThaRegul8r wrote:

Obvious. LeBron rose 11 spots, from eighteenth to seventh. Kobe was bumped out of the top ten.

So 8-3.
I remember your posts from the RPOY project, you consistently brought it. Please continue to do so, sir. This board needs guys like you to counteract ... worthless posters

Retirement isn’t the end of the road, but just a turn in the road. – Unknown

Return to Player Comparisons