Duncan
89%

Total votes: 18

hayguise
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

PRIME: Dwight vs Duncan (Predict) 

Post#1 » by hayguise » Wed Nov 9, 2011 1:24 am

Predict Dwight's prime. Do you see it as being better or worse than Duncan's?

2001-2002 Duncan: 25.5/12.7 57.6% TS
2010-2011 Dwight (for reference, NOT comparison): 22.9/14.1 61.6% TS
Precision9
Banned User
And1: 1

Re: PRIME: Dwight vs Duncan (Predict) 

Post#2 » by Precision9 » Wed Nov 9, 2011 1:27 am

This is tough

jk, Duncan.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,189

Post#3 » by tsherkin » Wed Nov 9, 2011 1:28 am

Given Duncan's VASTLY superior passing and his own amazing defense, I'd be inclined to say Duncan until and unless Dwight turns himself into Moses Malone as a scorer or develops his passing game.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,093

Post#4 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Wed Nov 9, 2011 1:29 am

I actually think Dwight still has the potential here to have a better season than prime Duncan... the issue will be his passing and turnovers, because that's where Tim separates himself. If he can fix that part of his game, and maybe score just a couple more points a game, he could have a year better than Tim.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#5 » by Rapcity_11 » Wed Nov 9, 2011 1:31 am

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:I actually think Dwight still has the potential here to have a better season than prime Duncan... the issue will be his passing and turnovers, because that's where Tim separates himself. If he can fix that part of his game, and maybe score just a couple more points a game, he could have a year better than Tim.

Maybe strictly in the box score, but I highly doubt Dwight approaches the impact that prime TD had on the court.
Precision9
Banned User

Post#6 » by Precision9 » Wed Nov 9, 2011 1:33 am

Rapcity_11 wrote:
Tim_Hardawayy wrote:I actually think Dwight still has the potential here to have a better season than prime Duncan... the issue will be his passing and turnovers, because that's where Tim separates himself. If he can fix that part of his game, and maybe score just a couple more points a game, he could have a year better than Tim.

Maybe strictly in the box score, but I highly doubt Dwight approaches the impact that prime TD had on the court.

Lebron stan you are talking to, box score is all that matters brah.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM

Post#7 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Wed Nov 9, 2011 1:36 am

Rapcity_11 wrote:

That's the thing though, if Dwight learns to pass and facilitate better, that'll translate to the court and make Orlando's (or whoever's) offense that much more dangerous.

He's not terribly far off right now, but the difference is Tim could be trusted with the ball at anytime, while Dwight is a liability at times. If he can move the ball better, even if his free throws don't ever get that good, you can at least still go to him in the 4th and not worry about wasted possessions. You know he'll hit the open man, and not turn it over.
BlackIce
Head Coach
And1: 901

Post#8 » by BlackIce » Wed Nov 9, 2011 1:40 am

Duncan commands more attention on offense, has a more diverse, potent post game with more range on his jumper. He is just as good defensively as well. I don't see Dwight ever being as good as a prime Duncan. Also Duncan is worlds better as a passer, in the playoffs in 2002/2003 he averaged 25/15/5 with an MVP and a Finals MVP to his name.
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#9 » by Rapcity_11 » Wed Nov 9, 2011 1:42 am

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

That's the thing though, if Dwight learns to pass and facilitate better, that'll translate to the court and make Orlando's (or whoever's) offense that much more dangerous.

He's not terribly far off right now, but the difference is Tim could be trusted with the ball at anytime, while Dwight is a liability at times. If he can move the ball better, even if his free throws don't ever get that good, you can at least still go to him in the 4th and not worry about wasted possessions. You know he'll hit the open man, and not turn it over.

Then I guess I disagree on that being a possibility. Guys going into their 8th season in the league who have always been poor passers with minimal improvement don't magically improve by leaps and bounds. And that's what it would take to get anywhere near Duncan, who was an outstanding passer.

Dwight is also not the defender that prime Duncan was.
alucryts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,169

Post#10 » by alucryts » Wed Nov 9, 2011 1:45 am

Precision9 wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

Lebron stan you are talking to, box score is all that matters brah.

Thank you for ignoring this bait Tim.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM

Post#11 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Wed Nov 9, 2011 1:52 am

Rapcity_11 wrote:
Then I guess I disagree on that being a possibility. Guys going into their 8th season in the league who have always been poor passers with minimal improvement don't magically improve by leaps and bounds. And that's what it would take to get anywhere near Duncan, who was an outstanding passer.

While I kind of agree, I've seen so many Dwight/Zo comparisons before, and that's kind of what Zo did in his 8th season... his passing didn't improve much, but he put up a career low in turnovers per game and TOV%, and his offensive rating that year was 112, his highest in his Miami tenure, and this coming with an old and ineffective Tim Hardaway.

I'm not totally sold on this... Dwight measures out great on all sorts of defensive metrics, and this is with a notably average cast around him, at least defensively. I do think part of it is a perception thing with Dwight... if the Magic had won it all in 09 for example, I think he'd get a lot more respect for his defense.
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#12 » by Rapcity_11 » Wed Nov 9, 2011 2:07 am

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:
While I kind of agree, I've seen so many Dwight/Zo comparisons before, and that's kind of what Zo did in his 8th season... his passing didn't improve much, but he put up a career low in turnovers per game and TOV%, and his offensive rating that year was 112, his highest in his Miami tenure, and this coming with an old and ineffective Tim Hardaway.

Going from below average to average doesn't cut it when compared to TD.

I'm not totally sold on this... Dwight measures out great on all sorts of defensive metrics, and this is with a notably average cast around him, at least defensively. I do think part of it is a perception thing with Dwight... if the Magic had won it all in 09 for example, I think he'd get a lot more respect for his defense.[/quote]

Dwight measures out great. Duncan, elite. That's the difference.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,787

Post#13 » by Snakebites » Wed Nov 9, 2011 2:34 am

Duncan, everytime.

And this isn't a prediction, its an assertion. Its not even close, nor is it ever going to be.
Gmen
Banned User

Post#14 » by Gmen » Wed Nov 9, 2011 2:37 am

Snakebites wrote:Duncan, everytime.

And this isn't a prediction, its an assertion. Its not even close, nor is it ever going to be.

Agreed.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,787

Post#15 » by Snakebites » Wed Nov 9, 2011 2:43 am

Well, I guess technically its a prediction.

But its a prediction in the same sense that I predict that the sun will rise tomorrow morning.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#16 » by Ballings7 » Wed Nov 9, 2011 4:14 am

Even for Dwight, it's too late for him to become comparable to Duncan.

He has some work do in multiple aspects of the game, where it's consistent, to get to that level. Dwight still relies a lot on athleticism as a whole, which is understandable, and while Duncan was not an overall, special athlete, he wasn't a slouch either with his agility, and did not rely on it, rather adjusting to really use it.

That aside though, It'll be pretty unfortunate if Dwight doesn't improve his passing game. That alone will make his scoring game more refined and versatile, than it is now (which he's improved on from his early years in the NBA). It'll make it easier on him to be able to score, and add a different element for team's defenses.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
SydneyDean726
Junior
And1: 0

Post#17 » by SydneyDean726 » Wed Nov 9, 2011 4:47 am

Nothing more really needs to be added. Dwight will never touch a prime Duncan.
aurareturn1
Banned User

Post#18 » by aurareturn1 » Wed Nov 9, 2011 6:10 am

You guys make it seem like Duncan is untouchable.

I'll predict that Dwight will have 2 or 3 prime seasons better than any of Duncan's. Playoffs, not so sure.
Gmen
Banned User

Post#19 » by Gmen » Wed Nov 9, 2011 6:15 am

aurareturn1 wrote:You guys make it seem like Duncan is untouchable.

I'll predict that Dwight will have 2 or 3 prime seasons better than any of Duncan's. Playoffs, not so sure.

Not really, more like the fact that Dwight is already 25 turning 26 in just a month. He could get better but not by much. TD had his 25 ppg season at 25, the age Dwight is now. This isn't even considering that Duncan is a vastly superior low post scorer and passer and just as good a defender if not better. If Dwight was 22 then maybe he might have a chance but he's been in the league long enough for us to make an educated guess on what kind of player he'll turn out to be.
aurareturn1
Banned User

Post#20 » by aurareturn1 » Wed Nov 9, 2011 6:27 am

Gmen wrote:
aurareturn1 wrote:You guys make it seem like Duncan is untouchable.

Not really, more like the fact that Dwight is already 25 turning 26 in just a month. He could get better but not by much. TD had his 25 ppg season at 25, the age Dwight is now. This isn't even considering that Duncan is a vastly superior low post scorer and passer and just as good a defender if not better. If Dwight was 22 then maybe he might have a chance but he's been in the league long enough for us to make an educated guess on what kind of player he'll turn out to be.

Dwight's career high PER is only 1 point away from Duncan's. So their stats are not that far apart.

I expect Dwight's numbers to be better than Duncan's in his prime because he has excellent work ethic and always wants to be better. I also consider Dwight the superior defensive player.

It's not as lopsided as these emotional people make it.

Return to Player Comparisons