RealGM 50 Highest Peaks Project Thread

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Dipper 13
Starter
And1: 1,427

Re: RealGM 50 Highest Peaks Project Thread 

Post#181 » by Dipper 13 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:50 am

I'm with you and ardee, trust me. Not to get into a lazy "watch the games" argument here but I'll do it anyway: NO sane basketball fan who saw Wilt play and watched footage would make these ridiculous statements about Wilt.

I think he was perhaps a prisoner of his own era more than anything else. He was such a marvel that teams literally didn't know how to implement his talents properly. There's no way he couldn't make superstar impact in today's game.

It is a futile effort. The prideful man believes he is always thinking progressively, much like what I see on this forum. Still may be the best board as far as members who can actually engage in some discussion of substance, which is more than can be said for the majority of NBA forums on the internet. However the mistake here is those who confuse the presentation of ambiguous numbers with objectivity. There is little in this world one hates more than admitting error, and possibly realising they were right the first time.
bastillon
Head Coach
And1: 613

Post#182 » by bastillon » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:48 pm

ThaRegul8r wrote:
ardee wrote:incredibly, the Wilt-less Sixers lost in the first round to an even older Boston team then the one they beat in '67.

That ends the argument right then and there. A first round exit vs winning a title? Meh.

I don't care to get into the extraneous stuff as I don't particularly care for agendas for or against players, but, to be fair, no one beat Boston in '69 in the postseason. So I don't see how it matters that a team happened to have the misfortune of drawing Boston in the first round when none of the other teams that faced Boston in later rounds beat them either. The Sixers without Wilt didn't beat Boston, and the Lakers with Wilt didn't beat them either.

not to mention 68 Sixers with Wilt didn't beat Boston either. or that Russell was quoted by at least 2 sources as being injured in 67 playoffs. or that Lakers regressed with Wilt (drastically so on offense). I don't see how Wilt could've such a big impact all things considered. he changed teams and one of them went -3 SRS without while also missing its 2nd best big man, and the other also went about -3 SRS but with Wilt.

I'm amazed how people are willing to overlook those factors when it comes to Wilt. boxscore stats FTW.
Quotatious wrote: Bastillon is Hakeem. Combines style and substance.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Post#183 » by ardee » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:01 pm

bastillon wrote:
ThaRegul8r wrote:
ardee wrote:incredibly, the Wilt-less Sixers lost in the first round to an even older Boston team then the one they beat in '67.

That ends the argument right then and there. A first round exit vs winning a title? Meh.

I don't care to get into the extraneous stuff as I don't particularly care for agendas for or against players, but, to be fair, no one beat Boston in '69 in the postseason. So I don't see how it matters that a team happened to have the misfortune of drawing Boston in the first round when none of the other teams that faced Boston in later rounds beat them either. The Sixers without Wilt didn't beat Boston, and the Lakers with Wilt didn't beat them either.

not to mention 68 Sixers with Wilt didn't beat Boston either. or that Russell was quoted by at least 2 sources as being injured in 67 playoffs. or that Lakers regressed with Wilt (drastically so on offense). I don't see how Wilt could've such a big impact all things considered. he changed teams and one of them went -3 SRS without while also missing its 2nd best big man, and the other also went about -3 SRS but with Wilt.

I'm amazed how people are willing to overlook those factors when it comes to Wilt. boxscore stats FTW.

Are we talking about '68 Wilt? No. We're talking about '67 Wilt. In '68, the Sixers' 2nd best player in Billy Cunningham was injured, and every Sixer player was injured in some way, if you want to play that game. Throw Hondo out of the series and knock all of the Celtics, then let's see what happens.

And the Wilt haters need to stop playing that Russell injured card. Seriously, there is no proof, whatsoever. After the series, Russell congratulated Wilt for absolutely destroying him. If he was injured, Russell, would have made it known. He wouldn't want people to think Wilt had beaten him fair and square when he personally knew that he hadn't.

And if that -3 SRS is what you want to continue using as your only real argument, then again:

{color=#00FF00]
'93 Bulls (with Jordan): 6.19 SRS
'94 Bulls (without Jordan): 2.87 SRS

'93 MJ made only a 3.32 SRS difference! '93 MJ was having the same impact as '97 Rodman![/color]
MisterWestside
Starter
And1: 596

Post#184 » by MisterWestside » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:24 pm

ardee wrote:Are we talking about '68 Wilt? No. We're talking about '67 Wilt. In '68, the Sixers' 2nd best player in Billy Cunningham was injured, and every Sixer player was injured in some way, if you want to play that game. Throw Hondo out of the series and knock all of the Celtics, then let's see what happens.

And the Wilt haters need to stop playing that Russell injured card. Seriously, there is no proof, whatsoever. After the series, Russell congratulated Wilt for absolutely destroying him. If he was injured, Russell, would have made it known. He wouldn't want people to think Wilt had beaten him fair and square when he personally knew that he hadn't.

And if that -3 SRS is what you want to continue using as your only real argument, then again:

{color=#00FF00]

'93 MJ made only a 3.32 SRS difference! '93 MJ was having the same impact as '97 Rodman![/color]

With/without FTW. Rodman da GOAT!
ardee
RealGM

Post#185 » by ardee » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:42 pm

MisterWestside wrote:
ardee wrote:Are we talking about '68 Wilt? No. We're talking about '67 Wilt. In '68, the Sixers' 2nd best player in Billy Cunningham was injured, and every Sixer player was injured in some way, if you want to play that game. Throw Hondo out of the series and knock all of the Celtics, then let's see what happens.

{color=#00FF00]

With/without FTW. Rodman da GOAT!

:lol:

If people are using with/without as LITERALLY their only point against Wilt, then they should put their money where their mouth is and go Nash/Russell/Walton as the three greatest peaks in some order.
fatal9
Bench Warmer
And1: 543

Post#186 » by fatal9 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:35 pm

It's not just looking at one case of SRS dropping...his impact is questionable in a lot of years.

He put up 44/25 on a 31 win team in a season where he was healthy and played all games (also had two other all-star players on his team). How can you be that statistically and physically dominant and come out with such few wins? Then couple of years later, he was leading the Warriors to the worst record in the league at 11-27 in games he played, then he gets traded for peanuts, joins the Sixers who were 21-20 at the time they made the trade and finished 40-40. When Warriors made improvements next season, there are articles of Wilt's former Warrior teammates complaining about how "shackled" they were with Wilt on offense. Sixers of course became an all-time great team in a couple of years with Wilt literally being the last option on the floor scoring wise though improving other parts of his game (along with them adding guys like Billy C to the roster and guys like Chet Walker and Luke Jackson maturing).

Then he gets traded to the Lakers who were starving for a dominant center all decade and...nothing happens. The SRS of the team goes down from the previous year (despite West playing more games), they still lose to Boston in the finals and got lucky in that they didn't get knocked out in the first round by the Warriors (Mullins got injured). There are some absolutely scathing articles in LA newspapers at the time. Meanwhile Wilt's former team still wins 55 games and that is with their starting PF Luke Jackson basically missing the entire season. Then the following year, the Lakers still win 46 games (7-5 with Wilt, 38-31 without him...Baylor/West missed some of these games too). And the next year with Wilt playing all 82 games, they win 48. It should be noted that without West, Wilt leads the Lakers to an awful 3-10 record (the MOV of the Lakers over this stretch? -10.9) that year.

I'd like to think a top 5 player would show a little bit more impact than that over the years. This isn't one case of finding a "gotcha" incident, this is something we see over most of his career. Then there are major concerns about his playoff performances, mentality and leadership, effectiveness and portability of his scoring, the balance in his offensive game, impact on the rest of his teammates, inconsistency of his defense over the years, and on and on. And I don't think Wilt fans on this board or other boards get it when they try to argue exclusively through boxscore stats, everyone is aware of his numbers, but where is the impact you expect? What about all his flaws? Is this someone you are comfortable building a team around? People are wrong now that they decided to look at his career in depth rather than perform a very superficial analysis based on his raw stats like they were doing before?
MisterWestside
Starter

Post#187 » by MisterWestside » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:51 pm

fatal9 wrote: People are wrong now that they decided to look at his career in depth rather than perform a very superficial analysis based on his raw stats like they were doing before?

No; I just think that some of you are so caught up in with/without (or +/-, or on-off, whatever) that all other evidence is irrelevant (and before you rebut this, you did just claim that we just "argue exclusively through box score stats". So fair game here. Don't group us with everyone else.) Look at the build (Dwight Howard is impressive, and he would look unimpressive standing next to prime Wilt), look at the game footage and eyewitness reports. Wilt wasn't Mr. "I'm gonna take this shot and chuck the ball as many times as I want, AND I'll do this while shooting a low percentage, AND I'll just chuck over double and triple teams even if others are open!" He was actually a stud.

No one who's smart enough is going to gawk at 100 points or 50 points a game. Inflated pace, etc. will all make those numbers misleading. But when I compare him to many of the considered great bigs of the 90s and 00s (00s :lol: ) he could hang with any of them. Hell, players like Dwight, the "I want out of Orlando. Nope, just kidding! Except I'm not. I want out. Lol GOTCHA again! No but honestly...can you trade me please?" Dwight Howard can make a positive impact on offense (+8 on-off offense in 09 YEAH! Nearly +3 in single-season oRAPM YEAH!) and NO ONE considers him an offensive presence, much less in Wilt's damn zip code as a player. So what could lessen Wilt's impact? How about the fact that coaches still need to implement him properly on the floor? Teammates need to know how to play with him instead of giving him the ball and ball-watching because "HE'S WILT!" Strategies of the era? Dipper13, ardee, etc. aren't just going to put Wilt over everyone because he scored more than anybody (Dipper13 still has non box score legend Russell over Wilt all-time, for Pete's sake) but some of these comments about Wilt are :lol:
thebottomline
Sophomore
And1: 24

Post#188 » by thebottomline » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:25 pm

It's not just the impact numbers though... what made the RPOY project so compelling were all the articles on Wilt (and guys like Dipper and Regul8r posted tons of them) about what his contemporaries, coaches, teammates, etc thought/said of him at the time, plus stuff Wilt himself wrote/said, which seemed to back up what the stats were suggesting.

So I don't think it's true when you say people latch on to the with/without stats while dismissing all other evidence in the case of Wilt. So many people already had doubts about Wilt's "GOAT-level" impact even before the impact numbers were calculated because so much has been written about the guy and his godlike box score stats didn't result in as much success as one might expect. So the impact numbers helped put things into more perspective and actually reinforced what people suspected rather than completely rewrote Wilt's narrative.

I mean, this board still voted him #5 all-time and #4 peak-wise after all the info about him in the RPOY project... some have him lower than that, some higher - but overall he's still considered to be one of the absolute greats.
MisterWestside
Starter

Post#189 » by MisterWestside » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:31 am

thebottomline wrote:So I don't think it's true when you say people latch on to the with/without stats while dismissing all other evidence in the case of Wilt.

Just earlier, you had a poster who compared prime Wilt to 97 Rodman. I wonder who here would draft 97 Rodman ahead of prime Wilt if they were building a basketball team. Make yourselves be heard. You'd also draft him ahead of 93 MJ too, right? He had less "lift" than 97 Rodman too, with the Bulls having virtually the same roster and coach/coaching system in 94. (That was the same poster, mind you, who also went after Durant in another thread). Dipper13 is right; Wilt will drop out of the Top 10 with the next Top100 voting with this nonsense.

Yes, some (not all) DO latch on to with/without or +/- here. It's as :lol: as ranking players by raw box score numbers. But, like I said, other factors are relevant that put the infallible +/- (or whatever variant you choose) numbers in context. I'll consider them instead of just looking at "stats".
Dipper 13
Starter

Post#190 » by Dipper 13 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:05 pm

Dipper13 still has non box score legend Russell over Wilt all-time, for Pete's sake)

My arguments for him have always centered around his prime (brief) time with the Sixers, notably '67.

Just earlier, you had a poster who compared prime Wilt to 97 Rodman. I wonder who here would draft 97 Rodman ahead of prime Wilt if they were building a basketball team

I genuinely would not be surprised if some here prefered McGrady & even Carter at their peak as well.
Dipper 13
Starter

Post#191 » by Dipper 13 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:43 am

Yes, some (not all) DO latch on to with/without or +/- here.

If this forum ever does a greatest single season team project, where would the '67 Sixers be voted? I wonder how many teams from the past decade alone would be selected ahead of them. All this talk of Wilt's great supporting cast (which is true) would likely be reversed, and I believe they would pull the "weak era" nonsense out again.
ardee
RealGM

Post#192 » by ardee » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:06 pm

Dipper 13 wrote:
Yes, some (not all) DO latch on to with/without or +/- here.

If this forum ever does a greatest single season team project, where would the '67 Sixers be voted? I wonder how many teams from the past decade alone would be selected ahead of them. All this talk of Wilt's great supporting cast (which is true) would likely be reversed, and I believe they would pull the "weak era" nonsense out again.

Personally I have them at 4: behind the '87 Lakers, '86 Celtics, and '96 Bulls in that order, just pulling ahead of the '01 Lakers by virtue of their dominant regular season.

Teams that go 80-16 en route to the title tend not to have bad players. Wilt had a good supporting cast but he was absolutely the catalyst on that team, and anyone who tries to claim otherwise is fooling themselves.
ShaqAttack3234
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#193 » by ShaqAttack3234 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:05 pm

Cool project, unfortunately, I joined too late to participate, but I enjoyed seeing the list so far and will enjoy following the project. My post will be long so I'll break it down into sections to make it easier to read.

General comments and a few disagreements
I am surprised to see Russell so high on a peak list, usually his unmatched ability to win year after year is what's brought up for him rather than one particular season. I'm unsure of when he peaked myself. '65 is a valid choice, though Russell himself called '64 his best season and I've often thought about '62 because of the extra scoring, and his playoff run was really impressive from the articles I've read.

I disagree with Oscar and Dr. J over Kobe. It's easier for me to make a comparison to Dr. J so I'll focus on him. Kobe was a much better ball-handler, he had better footwork and he was a much better shooter. Dr. J was the better finisher and he had a nice skill set himself with the ability to post up and hit bank shots from about 15, but I value Kobe's superior ability to get his shot from anywhere in a half court game whenever he wanted over Erving's ability in the open court. While Dr. J was an underrated passer, Kobe has a significant advantage as a playmaker, he's been the closest thing his team has had to a point guard for the better part of his career, and he did a phenomenal job as a playmaker in 2008, the season in question. It was easily the best I've seen Kobe in terms of game management, intelligence, maturity and his impact on his teammates. The closest he's been as a playmaker was the 2001 playoffs, but he only sustained it for 16 games then, while he did it for an entire season in '08, and he also had to deal with far more double teams in '08, while he also faced single coverage often in '01 making his decision making all the more impressive. Doc has the advantage as a rebounder, but it's not nearly enough to make up for the scoring and playmaking, imo. In the past, I would have called Kobe the better defender, but someone whose opinion I respect recently told me Dr. J was an underrated defender, so I'll hold off for now, I'll have to go back and watch more games and focus more on his help/team defense. While Kobe's defense wasn't consistent throughout his career, 2008 was the year he rededicated himself defensively and had his best defensive season since the 3peat. His man to man defense was elite when he was focused. I do have trouble making comparisons between the NBA and ABA, and while '76 is a legitimate choice for Dr. J's peak I'm more comparing '80 Erving, which I don't think is a problem since I don't think Dr. J was ever significantly better than he was in '80, if at all.

I'm sort of undecided between '06 and '08 as Kobe's peak and have been for several years. '06 was his most dominant year individually, Phil told him to carry the offense until the team got comfortable in the triangle, and he did that as well as anyone could have hoped for. I was also impressed that he switched his approach to somewhat of a decoy in the Phoenix series to nearly pull off the upset. But '08 was definitely Kobe's best from an all around standpoint, his scoring ability was still close to his peak, imo and while this may have more to do with the situation, Kobe was still playing a style better suited to a championship team than '06.

I am surprised that '63 was chosen as Oscar's peak. I've always considered '64 to be an easy choice as his peak, and it also seemed to be the consensus as well as Oscar's choice for his best year.

I'd also have to take Ewing over Robinson. Even Ewing's numbers were on par with Robinson's best this year, but Ewing's numbers were more indicative of his ability, imo and unlike Robinson, he sustained them in the playoffs. The biggest advantage for me was Ewing's back to the basket game, and he was also the better shooter. The added quickness Ewing had this year made his turnaround a devastating go to move. He already had range out to 18-20 feet, but didn't settle and shoot that many of them like later, he didn't have to because he was so dominant in the low post. Robinson never had a go to move like Ewing did, and he looked awkward with his back to the basket, it was never where he was comfortable, and that's why I suspect he wasn't able to sustain his offense from the regular season in the playoffs. He could rack up points because of his quickness, which made it almost impossible for opposing centers to stay with him when he faced up, especially with his improved mid-range shot in the mid 90's. His athleticism also helped him pick up easy baskets from lob passes and running the floor, but those things proved far more reliable in the regular season than the playoffs. So, '90 Ewing has a significant advantage as a scorer over any version of Robinson, imo.

Ewing made major improvements to his game in '90 such as added strength from lifting weights, improved rebounding and improved passing out of double teams. I believe he handled double teams better because of the extra quickness which made him less predictable, see his game 5 vs Boston when he had 10 assists. Robinson was the better passer, but I still prefer Ewing as an offensive option because of his post game. Rebounding is pretty close, and while Robinson was typically the better defender, Ewing was a beast at that end himself, especially in '90 when he was blocking 4 shots per game, he could control a game defensively at that end as well. For an example, see the January 15th, 1990 game vs the Bulls. What seals it for me is what Ewing did in the playoffs with the last 3 games all facing elimination to will the Knicks to a victory over a much more talented Celtic team. I've never seen Robinson do anything close to that in the playoffs.

'90 was clearly Ewing's peak, while I think an argument can be made for either '94 or '95 for Robinson. His playoffs were worse in '94, but he didn't face Utah in '95, and he always struggled against them. I'll still agree with '95 though.

I'd also take '90 Ewing over any version of Dirk without hesitating. If Dirk was better than '90 Ewing offensively, the advantage was a lot smaller than Ewing's advantages defensively and even on the boards.

If Wade is this high, then I don't think '03 T-Mac can be much lower. Wade had the advantage defensively, but T-Mac was the better scorer, shooter and rebounder. Playmaking is debatable, but T-Mac impressed me more as a passer. Their team accomplishments were almost identical as well, but T-Mac's team was even worse, imo. T-Mac also had a better playoff showing vs a Detroit team that was better than '09 Hawks and vastly superior defensively. I think it's a matter of preference who you think is better, I give T-Mac a slight edge myself, but either way, I just don't think they can be ranked too far apart.

I'm surprised to see Nash this high, but it's nice to see him get the credit. He's probably the best since prime '87-'90 Magic at balancing scoring and playmaking at the point guard position. '05 is a solid choice for his peak and featured his best playoffs, plus the regular season and playoffs perfectly demonstrated how well he balanced scoring and playmaking. He was content to be essentially the 5th scoring option during the regular season while leading one of the best offenses we've seen in recent years, but when his team needed it, he took over with his scoring in the playoffs. Dallas wanted Nash to become a scorer, and Steve beat them with a scorer while still keeping his teammates involved. Though '07 is probably the best I've seen Nash play.

Each player's peak
As far as the years picked for peaks, they look accurate for the most part. Jordan's '91 has as good of a case as any, and is the consensus, though I sometimes go with '90. He was pretty much the same player both seasons as far as approach, skills and ability, though Jordan seemed like he may have been a bit quicker in '90. The main difference in approach was that Jordan looked for his shot more early in games in '91 in response to the coaching staff limiting his minutes and he also shot 3s in '90 and they relied on him even more since the team wasn't as good. The championship could be viewed as the tiebreaker, though I think the results would be the same in each case if you switched '90 and '91 Jordan. Shaq's 2000 is the clear choice. His skills, athleticism and ability were the same in '01, and he played at his 2000 level after the slow start the first 2 months, but he was more committed to defense for the entire 2000 season and didn't have the slow start, which is the difference. '67 is the clear choice for Wilt. The 3 years from '93-'95 are all valid choices for Hakeem, I go with '94, but I didn't see much of him in '93, and still haven't found that many games. '77 is definitely the choice for Kareem, imo and it's nice to see this chosen over early years which I'm convinced people only choose because of stats. He clearly had added to his game by '77 without really losing anything. '86 is my choice for Bird as well. '87 is my choice for Magic as well, though I think a case can be made for '90 because he either improved his post game or used it more and became a legit 3 point shooter. '03 is clear for Duncan, his '02 regular season was about as good, but the playoffs are the difference. '09 is probably still my choice for Lebron, though I do think he made some improvements to his game that made him more capable of fitting in with talent in '12, and he's become a better defender. '04 is also my choice for KG, I think he was pretty much as good in '03, but the team success can be the tiebreaker. Obviously '77 for Walton, he looked to be headed for a year at least as good in '78, but the injuries make this obvious. I think Dirk has 4 years that can be argued as his best('06, '07 and '09 in addition to '11.) It feels wrong choosing '07 because of the Warriors series, but it is the best I've seen his all around game.

I've also always found it interesting how often players peak at 27-28 years old. Out of the players chosen so far, there's '87 Magic, '04 KG, '09 Wade, '90 Ewing and '66 West at 27 years old as well as '91 MJ and '00 Shaq at 28 years old. That's something I'll be looking at as the lists go on.
bastillon
Head Coach
And1: 613

Post#194 » by bastillon » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:48 am

I am surprised to see Russell so high on a peak list, usually his unmatched ability to win year after year is what's brought up for him rather than one particular season. I'm unsure of when he peaked myself. '65 is a valid choice, though Russell himself called '64 his best season and I've often thought about '62 because of the extra scoring, and his playoff run was really impressive from the articles I've read.

64-65 go over 62 mainly because he added the most dominant defenses of all time those 2 years. you're probably unaware of how much Russell impacted the game on defense. he was much more dominant defender than Magic was offensively. Celtics defense gave up like 10% pts less than the rest of the league, which is pretty much unheard of. their defense was falling off a cliff without Russell too viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1200351

In the past, I would have called Kobe the better defender, but someone whose opinion I respect recently told me Dr. J was an underrated defender, so I'll hold off for now, I'll have to go back and watch more games and focus more on his help/team defense. While Kobe's defense wasn't consistent throughout his career, 2008 was the year he rededicated himself defensively and had his best defensive season since the 3peat. His man to man defense was elite when he was focused. I do have trouble making comparisons between the NBA and ABA, and while '76 is a legitimate choice for Dr. J's peak I'm more comparing '80 Erving, which I don't think is a problem since I don't think Dr. J was ever significantly better than he was in '80, if at all.

Kobe is no doubt a better, more versatile offensive player than Dr J. but there's a massive gap between their defense.

Kobe's defense has been criticized a lot because of the quantitative stats, his overrated rep, gambling tendencies, inconsistent effort and many things. Kobe was called out for his defense by his coach as soon as 2003, by the late 00s he wasn't nearly as impactful as he had been during the 3peat era. you'll have to make a compelling case for Kobe's defense in 06-10 to treat you seriously on that front. there's just a massive evidence to the contrary. generally superstar guards don't tend to make much impact on D. they expand too much energy on their offense.

Dr J was a borderline dominant defender. he was playing on defensive-minded teams during his ABA days and then in the NBA. he was very active, grabbed a ton of DRB, gambled but mostly succesfully and he was just a great help defender overall. because of how close he played to the basket it was almost like having another shotblocker, especially thanks to his leaping abilities which Kobe could never match.

I am surprised that '63 was chosen as Oscar's peak. I've always considered '64 to be an easy choice as his peak, and it also seemed to be the consensus as well as Oscar's choice for his best year.

and it was the consensus...until we came across info that Oscar performed much better vs Celtics in 63 postseason (props to Reg) and we found out that it was due to his injury sustained earlier in the postseason (props to PTB Fan). 63 was an inferior RS campaign but more dominant playoffs (as a matter of fact, so dominant it put him over the top of several players). we would probably choose Oscar 64 if not for the PS injury.

I'd also have to take Ewing over Robinson. Even Ewing's numbers were on par with Robinson's best this year, but Ewing's numbers were more indicative of his ability, imo and unlike Robinson, he sustained them in the playoffs. The biggest advantage for me was Ewing's back to the basket game, and he was also the better shooter. The added quickness Ewing had this year made his turnaround a devastating go to move. He already had range out to 18-20 feet, but didn't settle and shoot that many of them like later, he didn't have to because he was so dominant in the low post. Robinson never had a go to move like Ewing did, and he looked awkward with his back to the basket, it was never where he was comfortable, and that's why I suspect he wasn't able to sustain his offense from the regular season in the playoffs. He could rack up points because of his quickness, which made it almost impossible for opposing centers to stay with him when he faced up, especially with his improved mid-range shot in the mid 90's. His athleticism also helped him pick up easy baskets from lob passes and running the floor, but those things proved far more reliable in the regular season than the playoffs. So, '90 Ewing has a significant advantage as a scorer over any version of Robinson, imo.

you absolutely nailed it.

I'd also take '90 Ewing over any version of Dirk without hesitating. If Dirk was better than '90 Ewing offensively, the advantage was a lot smaller than Ewing's advantages defensively and even on the boards.

that's probably because you're focusing on boxscore stats and not Dirk's impact. boxscore is severely underrating Dirk's impact on both ends of the floor. you'd have to see some data of Mavs 11 with/without Dirk, especially during that postseason run. they ran over their opposition with Dirk on the floor, but failed miserably when he wasn't there. Dirk indeed doesn't seem so impressive statistically but he's just so dominant in impact stats that year that it's hard to pass up on his choice.
Quotatious wrote: Bastillon is Hakeem. Combines style and substance.
ardee
RealGM

Post#195 » by ardee » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:29 pm

I've finally come to a consesus top 15ish, but only by dividing the wings and bigs. I honestly have a very hard time putting the two lists together... Any opinions?

Bigs:

'67 Wilt
'00 Shaq
'65 Russell
'95 Olajuwon
'77 Kareem
'03 Duncan
'04 Garnett
'77 Walton

Wings:

'91 Jordan
'86 Bird
'87 Magic
'09 LeBron
'63 Oscar
'08 Bryant
'76 Doc
'66 West
'09 Wade

I really wish we had been able to have Hakeem-Kareem, Garnett-Duncan, LeBron-Doc, Oscar-West and West-Wade debates. I just feel like posters focused more on a player as an individual, as compared to comparing him to other players also receiving votes.
ShaqAttack3234
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#196 » by ShaqAttack3234 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:10 am

bastillon wrote:64-65 go over 62 mainly because he added the most dominant defenses of all time those 2 years. you're probably unaware of how much Russell impacted the game on defense. he was much more dominant defender than Magic was offensively. Celtics defense gave up like 10% pts less than the rest of the league, which is pretty much unheard of. their defense was falling off a cliff without Russell too viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1200351

I'm not aware of all of the advanced stats, and was not aware of the numbers you posted, pretty much what I've seen in that regard is estimated defensive ratings from that era, which did speak volumes about his ompact, though I'm not completely sold on the accuracy of such estimates with such little stats available from that era.

Regardless, I do think I've become fairly informed on Russell's impact from reading recaps of games(in which he was almost always the standout player for the Celtics), as well as quotes from players and coaches from that era in various books. Admittedly, I was largely ignorant on Russell and didn't have the same appreciation until doing legitimate research on him the last few years. And I certainly won't dispute that there are still numerous people who know more about him than I do, since I know this to be a fact. But I wouldn't say I'm unaware of his defensive impact, I'm not sure about a comparison to Magic's offense myself, I'd imagine such a comparison would be pretty difficult and subject, though I do know that the Lakers had a winning record without Magic during his career, however, this is deceptive since Kareem was the 1st option offensively through the '86 season, so a more fair comparison would be the Lakers without Magic during the time the Lakers were "Magic's team"('87-'91.) And even so, such comparisons would still have variables. I'm not taking a side one way or the other, and do believe you can support your stance, but that's another issue to me altogether.

Kobe is no doubt a better, more versatile offensive player than Dr J. but there's a massive gap between their defense.

Kobe's defense has been criticized a lot because of the quantitative stats, his overrated rep, gambling tendencies, inconsistent effort and many things. Kobe was called out for his defense by his coach as soon as 2003, by the late 00s he wasn't nearly as impactful as he had been during the 3peat era. you'll have to make a compelling case for Kobe's defense in 06-10 to treat you seriously on that front. there's just a massive evidence to the contrary. generally superstar guards don't tend to make much impact on D. they expand too much energy on their offense.

Dr J was a borderline dominant defender. he was playing on defensive-minded teams during his ABA days and then in the NBA. he was very active, grabbed a ton of DRB, gambled but mostly succesfully and he was just a great help defender overall. because of how close he played to the basket it was almost like having another shotblocker, especially thanks to his leaping abilities which Kobe could never match.

Well, as I said for now, I'm holding off on a comparison between Dr. J and Kobe defensively.

But I will say that I'm not making an argument for '06-'10 Kobe in general, or '03 Kobe, just '08 Kobe.

I am aware of the quote you mentioned about Kobe's defense from '03. It was in Phil's book "The Last Season", which I own a copy of, and have used when arguing with people who insist Kobe's defensive peak was '03. I consider it to be 2000, that's the best defense I've seen Kobe play on a consistent basis, and I'm convinced those who call 2003 his defensive peak are only doing so because of stats. Of course, this is not to be confused with Kobe's best season because Kobe was certainly a better player in 2003 than 2000, just not a better defender.

I do believe much of the criticism directed at Kobe's defense has been warranted, and some of the all-defensive selections were a complete joke, 2007 and 2011 standout in particular. But I was impressed by his defense in 2008, as a carryover from his focus defensively for team USA during the summer of '07 when he also dropped 20 pounds to regain quickness, he seemed to carry over this approach into the season and rededicate himself defensively.

Here are a couple of quotes.

A quote from Brian Shaw made in April 2008.

“His all-around game has been tremendous. He's still getting his points, but his rebounds are up, his assists are up, and his defense is really good.”

From a February 2008 SI article.

Kobe's defense, which had slipped a bit in recent years, has returned to its old nasty form.

I would post the links, but as a new member, I can't yet.

and it was the consensus...until we came across info that Oscar performed much better vs Celtics in 63 postseason (props to Reg) and we found out that it was due to his injury sustained earlier in the postseason (props to PTB Fan). 63 was an inferior RS campaign but more dominant playoffs (as a matter of fact, so dominant it put him over the top of several players). we would probably choose Oscar 64 if not for the PS injury.

I do know the injury you're referring. I was actually looking into the '64 Celtics/Royals series maybe a month or 2 ago. I read that it was an injury to his right wrist. I suspected it must be the postseason considering what a clear advantage his '64 regular season had. There's no question that his '63 postseason was significant with Cincinnati taking Boston to 7, which I believe led to some believing Cincinnati had a chance to overtake Boston in the east only to be dispatched in 5.

Personally, I don't agree with '63 being called Oscar's peak because of this series, but I appreciate the explanation and that's all I can ask for since I won't expect everyone to have the same values and criteria that I do. To explain my stance, Oscar's overall body of work in the '64 season is still greater to me. The 55 wins vs 42 wins are a factor for me, same with the superior numbers over a full season, if not the playoffs(when I get a chance to watch a player, I don't like to really consider numbers, but in this case, without that luxury, it is a factor as well) and Oscar's own opinion influenced my decision. Also, being voted MVP by the players over Wilt and Russell in some of their better years, though I will add that I was informed by Regul8r on another forum of the circumstances surrounding the voting regarding Russell, and that certainly has to be considered when evaluating Oscar's MVP. For players I've watched, and players in the era that sportswriters voted on the award, MVP votes don't influence my rankings at all, but when I can't watch a player, I'm more inclined to consider the opinions of those who did, particularly other players, and I believe there have definitely been less questionable selections by the players than sportswriters.

that's probably because you're focusing on boxscore stats and not Dirk's impact. boxscore is severely underrating Dirk's impact on both ends of the floor. you'd have to see some data of Mavs 11 with/without Dirk, especially during that postseason run. they ran over their opposition with Dirk on the floor, but failed miserably when he wasn't there. Dirk indeed doesn't seem so impressive statistically but he's just so dominant in impact stats that year that it's hard to pass up on his choice.

No, I did not reach this decision because of stats. They weren't really a factor. It was more of my preference for a dominant two-way big man and the company Ewing was in that season. I consider Dirk to have become an average defender since around the time Avery Johnson took over as coach, not a liability, which is a reputation he got earlier in his career that some still cling to, but I don't consider his impact at that end to be remotely comparable to Ewing's. I haven't seen Dirk control a game defensively like I've seen Ewing do multiple times in 1990 games, and of course later, but I'm trying to focus on just his peak season. If I were to make a case on numbers, well Ewing's 4 blocks per game alone make a compelling case for Ewing's defense being far beyond Dirk's since blocked shots are one of the 3 defensive stats I look at along with on/off court numbers and team defensive rating. Although all have flaws, but I can't imagine a scenario in which Dirk's defense is comparable to a player blocking 4 shots per game. Shot blockers typically have the greatest defensive impact to me, though not all shot blockers are even of course. But If I was basing my opinions on stats, I wouldn't have separated Robinson and Ewing as scorers. The stats show them to be very close peak vs peak, but my opinion was that Ewing had a significant advantage as a scorer, and offensive player at his peak as you know.

I also value a great post scorer because I believe that's the most reliable and efficient type of player to build your offense around. I also considered Ewing's passing to be competent that year, and sometimes impressive. Dirk is one of the players I'd call an exception to the post player rule. I've admired his game for many years, noted his ability in the playoffs and late in games, which always stood out, and defended him as a playoff performer when he was criticized so much for the '06 finals and '07 1st round. His shooting at his size and position is an asset that goes beyond stats because of how much of a mismatch that is, and big men are not as used to defending out to the 3 point line and always being aware of that. Dirk could score in a variety of ways, he was a big threat in the high post and mid-post area, while he also improved his low post game and was always a threat as the trailer on the break because of his 3 point shooting, as well as in screen/rolls and pick and pop plays. But outside of his ability with the ball, his impact was greater because you always had to be aware of him even when he didn't have the ball. And he became a good passer himself, which I noticed even more starting around '06 or '07. On top of that, he rarely turned the ball over.

But at the same time, I mentioned Ewing's qualities offensively and he could seem downright unstoppable himself. So while I don't find it unreasonable to take Dirk offensively, I think their offense peak vs peak comes down to what an individual values more. But Ewing's defensive was just much better to me, and that two-way impact is something I prefer. This criteria won't always tell you who the better player is, but imo, it does in this comparison.
Kobe Bean
Banned User
And1: 59

Post#197 » by Kobe Bean » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:07 pm

Lebron in 09 wasn't great defensively. His best all around play was arguably this season. Revisionist history lol

Kobe '03 or '06 must be here somewhere. As well as sir charles' '93 or any of his late 80's seasons
C-izMe
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#198 » by C-izMe » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:28 am

Kobe Bean wrote:Lebron in 09 wasn't great defensively. His best all around play was arguably this season. Revisionist history lol

Kobe '03 or '06 must be here somewhere. As well as sir charles' '93 or any of his late 80's seasons

Then why was he second in DPOY voting?

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/04/21/dpoy.20090421/
Kobe Bean
Banned User
And1: 59

Post#199 » by Kobe Bean » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:26 pm

the dropoff between lebron and wade is 58 points

the dropoff between howard and lebron is a whopping ~360 points

it's not like lebron was locking guys up or anything, he managed to do everything fairly well, which is why he was voted 2nd

literally every player even remotely close to dwight is a perimeter defender. battier, wade and artest were arguably better 1v1 defenders and help defenders (wade), but lebrons versatility gave him the edge here. Kobe and chris paul are in the top 10 for christs sake, with KG not even being in the top 5. weak year
postertag
Junior
And1: 6

Post#200 » by postertag » Wed Oct 3, 2012 4:07 pm

Where does Isiah Thomas fit in? I haven't seen his name mentioned yet, but something doesn't feel right about a large gap between him and CP3. Paul was the better all around player, but Zeke was one of the greatest leaders/competitors of all time and put up playstation stats in the mid 80's. In my view he's certainly the next PG on the board.

Return to Player Comparisons