Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Re: The Anthony Davis Thread 

Post#361 » by Jaivl » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:37 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
What i'll say is this:

I don't know if he'll be among the 3 most valuable players in the league this year, but what I do know that if we're looking at the most "outstanding" players - the guys who you can see in one glance can do what no one else can do, the salient ones, the ones who pop - with Durant's injury, I'd have to say that it's just between LeBron & Davis for the top spot.

And to be clear, I'm not talking about Flight White being able to jump high and dunk being some kind of salient thing, I mean in terms of the quality and quantity of plays made, Davis is already about as good as it gets.

If I understood you correctly, you are saying that Davis' highs have a case to be the highest in the league, which I can agree to. But I think at this moment of time he still has quite a few lows -on defense- that we have to take into account in his evaluation as a player.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,490

Post#362 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:50 pm

Jaivl wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
What i'll say is this:

I don't know if he'll be among the 3 most valuable players in the league this year, but what I do know that if we're looking at the most "outstanding" players - the guys who you can see in one glance can do what no one else can do, the salient ones, the ones who pop - with Durant's injury, I'd have to say that it's just between LeBron & Davis for the top spot.

And to be clear, I'm not talking about Flight White being able to jump high and dunk being some kind of salient thing, I mean in terms of the quality and quantity of plays made, Davis is already about as good as it gets.

If I understood you correctly, you are saying that Davis' highs have a case to be the highest in the league, which I can agree to. But I think at this moment of time he still has quite a few lows -on defense- that we have to take into account in his evaluation as a player.

Well as mentioned: The right way to rate a player is on his ability to contribute value, and I don't see it as anything like a lock that Davis will be among the top 3 most valuable players this year.

But at the same time, when we see a player pop like Davis pops, that value can transform very quickly. OKC's anointing of Kevin Durant on the franchise was a lead weight holding them down...until it wasn't. His second year the team was better of when he sat, his 3rd year he was 2nd in MVP voting. It can happen that fast.

And so that's why I respond to people skeptical of Davis right now, because while he's not proven to be a Top 3 player in the league, it could literally come together in a snap once the team context settles. May not, but it could.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Post#363 » by Clyde Frazier » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:14 pm

lorak wrote:However, despite amazing stat line, I think he didn't play that great, because he scored 26 points but with only 0.501 TS%. I hope his jumper would be more consistent as season progress, because in this game he hit only 2 of 6 midrange jumpers (and was 6/9 from FT line).

Not really detecting sarcasm here, so... You know he averaged 20.8 PPG on 58.2% TS last season, right? Also shot 43.1% from 10-15 ft (2.7 attempts per game) and 36.8% on long 2s (3.1 attempts per game), for what it's worth.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... ting/2014/
rich316
Sixth Man
And1: 1,243

Post#364 » by rich316 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:01 pm

Obligatory "I know this is a way-to-early overreaction BUT:"

Man, things could be really lining up for Davis to win his first MVP this year. KD and Westbrook are likely both out of the running, and if OKC actually misses the playoffs, that makes it easier for the Pelicans to snag a spot. Even if Davis isn't the obvious "best player alive" pick, with Lebron going through a transition year in Cleveland and having a stacked roster in general, Davis could really pick up some momentum for the MVP if he puts up monster numbers like everybody is expecting. He could conceivably lead the league in PER as the clear-cut best player on a western playoff team. Sounds like the kind of storyline that appeals to the voters.
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#365 » by MisterHibachi » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:08 pm

He might even win DPOY along with MVP. Which would be crazy at 22.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
Mutnt
Veteran
And1: 726

Post#366 » by Mutnt » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:11 pm

rich316 wrote:Obligatory "I know this is a way-to-early overreaction BUT:"

Man, things could be really lining up for Davis to win his first MVP this year. KD and Westbrook are likely both out of the running, and if OKC actually misses the playoffs, that makes it easier for the Pelicans to snag a spot. Even if Davis isn't the obvious "best player alive" pick, with Lebron going through a transition year in Cleveland and having a stacked roster in general, Davis could really pick up some momentum for the MVP if he puts up monster numbers like everybody is expecting. He could conceivably lead the league in PER as the clear-cut best player on a western playoff team. Sounds like the kind of storyline that appeals to the voters.

Well yea, realistically, only LeBron, CP3 and AD are in contention to me.
nonjokegetter
Banned User
And1: 587

Post#367 » by nonjokegetter » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:37 pm

I don't know if that's really "realistically". There's 10-15 guys that could win it if things broke right. The Blazers win 55 games or so and there'll be Aldridge or Lillard talk. Bulls win 60 and Rose averages 24 and he'll be discussed. Possibly Carmelo if the Knicks overachieve, Bosh if the Heat do, etc etc.

Of course the guys you mentioned are by far the front runners but it's not hard to imagine someone else entering the forefront either.
Mutnt
Veteran

Post#368 » by Mutnt » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:24 pm

nonjokegetter wrote:I don't know if that's really "realistically". There's 10-15 guys that could win it if things broke right. The Blazers win 55 games or so and there'll be Aldridge or Lillard talk. Bulls win 60 and Rose averages 24 and he'll be discussed. Possibly Carmelo if the Knicks overachieve, Bosh if the Heat do, etc etc.

Of course the guys you mentioned are by far the front runners but it's not hard to imagine someone else entering the forefront either.

None of those guys have a chance of winning the MVP.

The Blazers ain't winning more games than the Clippers this year and CP3 is just flat out better than both Lillard and Aldridge. Bulls are too deep and talented for Rose to win MVP. The 2011 MVP he got was a joke so if he gets it this year with the Bulls being a better team and Rose posting worse numbers across the board (which he will) I will honestly be shocked. Mentioning Melo is ridiculous, he's gonna do what he always does and the Knicks will struggle to make the playoffs in the low East, no way he wins MVP. Bosh will be a 20-10 type guy, solid, but not MVP type caliber.

It's LeBron, CP3 or AD... PERHAPS Curry...
nonjokegetter
Banned User
And1: 587

Post#369 » by nonjokegetter » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:49 pm

...okay, well all the options I gave you could become "realistic". I mean you know neither Nash (the first time) nor Rose were considered "realistic" before the years they won it, nor was Kidd the year he almost did. Hell, Amare was in contention for half of a year a few years ago, too.

The odds are good that some random person that you didn't expect will end up in the MVP race this year, it happens like every other year, and so of course they have a realistic shot.

That you'd narrow down your options to three people on the morning of the fourth day of the season is kinda odd. You say Rose's selection was a joke, but does that matter? He still won, which is what you're talking about.
berkkobe7
Senior
And1: 419

Post#370 » by berkkobe7 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:01 pm

Mutnt wrote:
nonjokegetter wrote:I don't know if that's really "realistically". There's 10-15 guys that could win it if things broke right. The Blazers win 55 games or so and there'll be Aldridge or Lillard talk. Bulls win 60 and Rose averages 24 and he'll be discussed. Possibly Carmelo if the Knicks overachieve, Bosh if the Heat do, etc etc.

None of those guys have a chance of winning the MVP.

The Blazers ain't winning more games than the Clippers this year and CP3 is just flat out better than both Lillard and Aldridge. Bulls are too deep and talented for Rose to win MVP. The 2011 MVP he got was a joke so if he gets it this year with the Bulls being a better team and Rose posting worse numbers across the board (which he will) I will honestly be shocked. Mentioning Melo is ridiculous, he's gonna do what he always does and the Knicks will struggle to make the playoffs in the low East, no way he wins MVP. Bosh will be a 20-10 type guy, solid, but not MVP type caliber.

It's LeBron, CP3 or AD... PERHAPS Curry...

Stephen curry is nowhere near mvp.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#371 » by GYK » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:19 pm

Where can you find defensive data?
Primarily oppenet FG%, center guarding centers.
Defensive rating seems to work well with team defense.

Reason is I believe Davis is not only a great team defender but looks pretty darn good against his man.
I trust rebound assist percentage, although it doesn't tell position average.
Scoring rate is pretty soli but takes long.

From what I gathered this kid last season was amazing and deserving of trajectory hype.
Mutnt
Veteran

Post#372 » by Mutnt » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:20 pm

berkkobe7 wrote:

Stephen curry is nowhere near mvp.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

He sure as hell is closer than everyone nonjokegetter mentioned.

Steph was a top 5 player last season. This year the Warriors will probably be a top 5 team in the NBA (with OKC poised to have a rough regular season) and if LeBron has a down year, AD doesn't make the playoffs he's right up there, battling with CP3, no question.
PCProductions
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,989

Post#373 » by PCProductions » Sat Nov 1, 2014 11:34 pm

Man these guys still run Austin Rivers? How does he still have a job?
PCProductions
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,989

Post#374 » by PCProductions » Sat Nov 1, 2014 11:37 pm

Anyway, I really wanna see Davis learn not to bite on fakes so much. If he learned a little more discipline, he would absolutely be my DPOY favorite. I love the terror he instills in pick and roll ball handlers; you can sense their fear when they see him on the other side of the screen :lol:
Mutnt
Veteran

Post#375 » by Mutnt » Sat Nov 1, 2014 11:53 pm

PCProductions wrote:Man these guys still run Austin Rivers? How does he still have a job?

He is actually playing relatively well. I still cringe every time he attempts a shot but at least he made some nice plays especially with his dribble penetration.

Eric Gordon, on the other hand, has been putrid in both games so far.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,817

Post#376 » by GSP » Sun Nov 2, 2014 12:04 am

I dont see how Davis wins Dpoy. It would be akin to Camby winning it (for high block numbers) when there was an even better defender on his team (Nene Asik).
Mutnt
Veteran

Post#377 » by Mutnt » Sun Nov 2, 2014 12:10 am

Note1: AD should probably take some lessons from Ryan Anderson on footwork and craftiness around the rim.

Note2: Tyreke and especially EG simply can't be this putrid if the Pelicans want to compete for a playoff spot. It's like the Pels get some nice offensive sets going and then they default into stretches where they give the ball to Tyreke or EG and let them go 1on1 which usually results in a bricked jumper.

Note3: Pels are horrible defensively, they are getting murdered on the PnR in every way imaginable and their effort has been bad as well.

Other than that Davis was solid in the 1st half. Made some dumb defensive mistakes but Dallas is playing really well.
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#378 » by Doormatt » Sun Nov 2, 2014 12:26 am

Eric Gordon went from the SG with probably the most potential in the league to absolutely mediocre.
#doorgek
Mutnt
Veteran

Post#379 » by Mutnt » Sun Nov 2, 2014 12:33 am

Doormatt wrote:Eric Gordon went from the SG with probably the most potential in the league to absolutely mediocre.

Never really liked his game but to be fair the injuries had a lot to do with that.
Mutnt
Veteran

Post#380 » by Mutnt » Sun Nov 2, 2014 12:41 am

16-0 run from the Pels, HUGE run led by Davis, those last two jump shots in rhythm looked automatic.

If AD averages over 25 ppg this season I'll be seriously impressed, but he's making it look relatively easy so far.

Return to Player Comparisons