WorldBeFree
Starter
And1: 406

Re: AW: RealGM Top 100 LIST- list, voting panel, metathinkin 

Post#461 » by WorldBeFree » Mon Nov 3, 2014 5:52 pm

john248 wrote:
WorldBeFree wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:
If you have an intelligent argument for Iverson, make it. If that's all you've got, please don't bother to post in this project.

Iverson is the best player of all time for his size. He carried a bad sixers team to the finals and provided the only loss for the lakers. Why is Howard ranked before him? Iverson could take everyone and every night, he had his problems, but from a playing state point he was at least on the level of Wade and better then nash or some others. He has no rings i know, but he was a great player and to leave him out i just dont get it. I wont argue with the older guys who are listed infront him, i never saw them play. Miller also a all time great but i dont believe he is better then iverson infact miller himself said he wouldnt put himself in the next 10 list (next guys who.make the all time greatest list of the mvp) on opener court. So clearly the players know how great iverson was, i was expecting him in the top 30 at least. No.one could stop this guy....
Edit: i mean what did a guy like Durant do better then guys like iverson or t-mac to this point of his career. I dont hate on Durant, he is pretty damn good just explain it to me, imagine he will not ever win a Ring. Then he has scoring titles a mvp, what did he more until this point of his career. Iverson could score at his rate. Again not hating on Durant, just asking.
Why is nash so high? For worst D ever? Yes he has 2 mvp 's, again I dont hate on any guy on this list. Ray allen is great, but he never carried a team like iverson did.

Btw love the love for payton, usually i dont see him on this type of lists

Sent from my D2303 using RealGM Forums mobile app

I don't give extra points to a player just because he's short relative to his peers. Stockton doesn't get extra love just because he's 6'1".

In short...I think Iverson had good value for that 01 Sixers team. He was the volume scorer with a 106 ORTG that year. When he's in there, the team does draw more fouls, shoot more 3's, and that team was better off for it since the defense was a 99 DRTG team (iirc 99 ORTG without AI). But his offense doesn't compare to Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Allen, and some other guys aside from huge volume. I don't have a list past 50, but I think he would fall in the mid-50s range. The Iverson discussion will come up.

Hahaha allen's offense is better haha. Dude iverson could go everywhere he wants and could score anyway he wants. What can Durant do so good on offense (he is a great offensive player), that makes him 31 on the list? He hardly ever goes down to the post, Tony allen killed him. Iverson would go on anyone any time. Again to put allen over iverson is the most stupid thing i ever saw. Your arguments to prove me wrong, are bad.

john248
Starter
And1: 651

Post#462 » by john248 » Tue Nov 4, 2014 9:23 am

WorldBeFree wrote:
john248 wrote:
WorldBeFree wrote:Iverson is the best player of all time for his size. He carried a bad sixers team to the finals and provided the only loss for the lakers. Why is Howard ranked before him? Iverson could take everyone and every night, he had his problems, but from a playing state point he was at least on the level of Wade and better then nash or some others. He has no rings i know, but he was a great player and to leave him out i just dont get it. I wont argue with the older guys who are listed infront him, i never saw them play. Miller also a all time great but i dont believe he is better then iverson infact miller himself said he wouldnt put himself in the next 10 list (next guys who.make the all time greatest list of the mvp) on opener court. So clearly the players know how great iverson was, i was expecting him in the top 30 at least. No.one could stop this guy....
Edit: i mean what did a guy like Durant do better then guys like iverson or t-mac to this point of his career. I dont hate on Durant, he is pretty damn good just explain it to me, imagine he will not ever win a Ring. Then he has scoring titles a mvp, what did he more until this point of his career. Iverson could score at his rate. Again not hating on Durant, just asking.
Why is nash so high? For worst D ever? Yes he has 2 mvp 's, again I dont hate on any guy on this list. Ray allen is great, but he never carried a team like iverson did.

Btw love the love for payton, usually i dont see him on this type of lists

I don't give extra points to a player just because he's short relative to his peers. Stockton doesn't get extra love just because he's 6'1".

In short...I think Iverson had good value for that 01 Sixers team. He was the volume scorer with a 106 ORTG that year. When he's in there, the team does draw more fouls, shoot more 3's, and that team was better off for it since the defense was a 99 DRTG team (iirc 99 ORTG without AI). But his offense doesn't compare to Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Allen, and some other guys aside from huge volume. I don't have a list past 50, but I think he would fall in the mid-50s range. The Iverson discussion will come up.

Hahaha allen's offense is better haha. Dude iverson could go everywhere he wants and could score anyway he wants. What can Durant do so good on offense (he is a great offensive player), that makes him 31 on the list? He hardly ever goes down to the post, Tony allen killed him. Iverson would go on anyone any time. Again to put allen over iverson is the most stupid thing i ever saw. Your arguments to prove me wrong, are bad.

I never expected you to understand. This was the type of response anyone would expect from you. If by anytime you mean a guy who didn't even break 50% TS in some years, then HAHAHA, you'd be wrong. :)
The Last Word
WorldBeFree
Starter
And1: 406

Post#463 » by WorldBeFree » Tue Nov 4, 2014 10:40 pm

john248 wrote:
WorldBeFree wrote:
john248 wrote:

I never expected you to understand. This was the type of response anyone would expect from you. If by anytime you mean a guy who didn't even break 50% TS in some years, then HAHAHA, you'd be wrong. :)

You still didnt explain why Durant, Howard, allen, Pierce, Miller, nash and some others are all in it and iverson. He got season mvp when the likes of shaq, Kobe and some other were in their prime.
This here is not objective, you guys clearly dont like philly or the answer and some of you should be Boston fans. Since you just put allen over niqe. Dont border to respond.

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Re: RealGM Top 100 LIST- list, voting panel, metathinking 

Post#464 » by Laimbeer » Fri Nov 7, 2014 11:56 pm

How about starting at the bottom next time? Use other ratings or participant pre-project lists to develop the pool of 100 and work your way up. The momentum of the project will build instead of wane, and perhaps participants could be required to be around in the early going if they wanted to participate at the top.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,825

Post#465 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Nov 8, 2014 12:02 am

Laimbeer wrote:How about starting at the bottom next time? Use other ratings or participant pre-project lists to develop the pool of 100 and work your way up. The momentum of the project will build instead of wane, and perhaps participants could be required to be around in the early going if they wanted to participate at the top.

Surely you can see the inherent difficulties in this approach? Some guys who should be in the top 20 or 30 will get left completely out if you use this approach. Maybe higher than that. The advocates will be pushing so hard to keep their guy from hitting the list that at some point you will have too many qualified guys and not enough slots left. And guys like Wade, Kobe, NAsh, and KG would be in the most danger ironically because they have the strongest advocates. What do you do if the Kobe and KG blocks are able to keep their guys from getting voted in 100-11, but they can't round up enough support to get them voted in the top 10?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#466 » by Laimbeer » Sat Nov 8, 2014 12:21 am

Chuck Texas wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:How about starting at the bottom next time? Use other ratings or participant pre-project lists to develop the pool of 100 and work your way up. The momentum of the project will build instead of wane, and perhaps participants could be required to be around in the early going if they wanted to participate at the top.

Surely you can see the inherent difficulties in this approach? Some guys who should be in the top 20 or 30 will get left completely out if you use this approach. Maybe higher than that. The advocates will be pushing so hard to keep their guy from hitting the list that at some point you will have too many qualified guys and not enough slots left. And guys like Wade, Kobe, NAsh, and KG would be in the most danger ironically because they have the strongest advocates. What do you do if the Kobe and KG blocks are able to keep their guys from getting voted in 100-11, but they can't round up enough support to get them voted in the top 10?

You establish the pool of 100 before you start.
john248
Starter

Post#467 » by john248 » Sat Nov 8, 2014 2:17 am

just no...
The Last Word
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,842

Post#468 » by Joao Saraiva » Sat Nov 8, 2014 1:42 pm

Is it too late to join the project? I'd like to vote from now on! Is it necessary to vote in every round?
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
john248
Starter

Post#469 » by john248 » Sat Nov 8, 2014 6:30 pm

Joao Saraiva wrote:Is it too late to join the project? I'd like to vote from now on! Is it necessary to vote in every round?

just pulling the quote from the other thread

trex_8063 wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:

Tracy McGrady - ronnymac2, E-Balla, DQuinn1575, Basketballefan, trex_8063, Notanoob, HeartbreakKid

Dikembe Mutombo - Chuck Texas, Doctor MJ, tsherkin, Moonbeam,

For those asking about participants joining us, (a) they have to ask, then (b) they have to have been active for 3 or 4 consecutive threads. DNice, Gatling, or other posters are certainly welcome.

fwiw, Joao Saraiva just formally asked if he could join in the Metathinking thread. Not sure if he's been active 3-4 consecutive threads, but he's been periodically active in the discussion of this project pretty much since the beginning.
The Last Word
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,484

Post#470 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Nov 8, 2014 8:12 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
Chuck Texas wrote:

You establish the pool of 100 before you start.

And argue for who was worst every time? No, the negativity would get out of control.

I appreciate you thinking about different options though.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#471 » by penbeast0 » Sat Nov 8, 2014 8:21 pm

Joao Saraiva wrote:Is it too late to join the project? I'd like to vote from now on! Is it necessary to vote in every round?

You've been a consistent poster for a while. I will add you to the list and your vote will start counting in thread 49. WELCOME!
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#472 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:50 am

penbeast0 wrote:
For those asking about participants joining us, (a) they have to ask, then (b) they have to have been active for 3 or 4 consecutive threads. DNice, Gatling, or other posters are certainly welcome.

I am glad I am welcome. I get busy from time to time and disappear from realgm for a month or more sometimes so I am thinking that I should not ask to be a voter.

Something I missed and could not quickly find any guidance for was the definition of "top" Maybe the definition of "top" was purposefully undefined giving the voters freedom to define top as they see fit. The usual questions in defining top is peak vs longevity, regular season vs post season, and dominance in their own era vs dominance in any era.

I do like the cross era historical comparisons and hope nobody minds me occasionally jumping into these threads as a lobbyist.
penbeast0

Post#473 » by penbeast0 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:22 am

We love people coming in and posting intelligent comments even if they don't want to commit longterm.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Post#474 » by tsherkin » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:38 pm

Speaking of "busy from time to time," excuse my weak posting in the project lately. Deadline coming up and tons of crazy work... Good pay but damn.
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,013

Post#475 » by Owly » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:46 pm

Joao Saraiva wrote:...
I just wonder how many run-offs will Iverson lose. He had a ton more votes than Dantley for #49, for #50 and now he's about to lose to Dantley for #51. I don't really know if I like this kind of run off vote but it's necessary. I just don't think it's accurate, but I don't see an alternative of which I'm 100% sure. Should there be a limit of times a player goes into the run off?

Well firstly this is getting meta so I'm responding here (though Texas Chuck has already responded in thread).

To the point

1) (I suspect) We're not changing how we did it half way through.
2) It's not the first time someone has been losing in the runoff multiple times (including Kobe x2, Mikan x2, Schayes x3).
3) On the merit of the voting system, it can be considered a positive or a negative that a candidate with strong first choice preference, but not a majority can be passed on. I think all systems will have flaws tbh (and most will have advantages), but limiting the number of runoffs at this point doesn't seem likely or "fair" (from a continuity standpoint).
john248
Starter

Post#476 » by john248 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:05 pm

Owly wrote:
Joao Saraiva wrote:...
I just wonder how many run-offs will Iverson lose. He had a ton more votes than Dantley for #49, for #50 and now he's about to lose to Dantley for #51. I don't really know if I like this kind of run off vote but it's necessary. I just don't think it's accurate, but I don't see an alternative of which I'm 100% sure. Should there be a limit of times a player goes into the run off?

Well firstly this is getting meta so I'm responding here (though Texas Chuck has already responded in thread).

To the point

1) (I suspect) We're not changing how we did it half way through.
2) It's not the first time someone has been losing in the runoff multiple times (including Kobe x2, Mikan x2, Schayes x3).
3) On the merit of the voting system, it can be considered a positive or a negative that a candidate with strong first choice preference, but not a majority can be passed on. I think all systems will have flaws tbh (and most will have advantages), but limiting the number of runoffs at this point doesn't seem likely or "fair" (from a continuity standpoint).

Heck, I think Isiah was in a run off then didn't show up in a run off for a couple threads.
The Last Word
penbeast0

Post#477 » by penbeast0 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:10 am

It sometimes takes as little as 3 votes to get someone into a runoff. Generally, guys have gone in within 5 spots of their first runoff, i don't think anyone has taken longer, but especially for a player like an Iverson, Maravich, or a Ben Wallace, I could see it. 3 guys convinced that their guy is the best, most others thinking it's way too early for a player of that ilk. I don't see Iverson over English, Sam Jones, or Vince Carter to pick 3 long consistent scorers from the 60s, 80s, and 00s; I am open to arguments that he's better than a Nique or Hal Greer. I'm also open to arguments that Sidney Moncrief or Manu Ginobili should go in ahead of him and that's just looking at great wing scorers. Then you get defenders (Sid, of course, was a great defender too), rebounders, playmakers, guys from the 50s like Paul Arizin or Bill Sharman . . . the possibilities are large and the differentials are much smaller than the top 10 guys so people's style and team building preferences become more of a factor. Combine that with a smaller pool of voters and it's not surprising that there are guys losing runoffs who the majority aren't ready to put onto our list.
john248
Starter

Post#478 » by john248 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:33 am

I'll probably won't be able to vote for the next several days.
The Last Word
ThunderDan9
Veteran
And1: 488

Post#479 » by ThunderDan9 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:08 pm

I'm just curious... is there any chance that a supah-dupah role-player like Robert Horry might crack the Top100?

OK, Horry is obviously a big stretch... but what about someone like Horace Grant?
PC Board All Time Fantasy Draft:

PG Mark Price (92-94)
SG Manu Ginobili (05-07)
SF Larry Bird (84-86)
PF Horace Grant (93-95)
C Dwight Howard (09-11)
+
Bernard King (82-84) Vlade Divac (95-97) Derek Harper (88-90) Dan Majerle (91-93) Josh Smith (10-12)
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,013

Post#480 » by Owly » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:00 pm

ThunderDan9 wrote:I'm just curious... is there any chance that a supah-dupah role-player like Robert Horry might crack the Top100?

OK, Horry is obviously a big stretch... but what about someone like Horace Grant?

Well I guess that would depend on how we define role-player. If it's players who added a limited (if any) portion of their value through scoring we have one at 3, (and then one could argue about say, a Pip). Do defensive/rebounding specialists count (Mutombo in, Rodman presently being voted for, Ben Wallace getting mentions). Or do they have to not have any sort of star status?

But basically yes I would expect we will. Penbeast has mentioned Bobby Jones and I suspect I'll be supportive of him fairly soon. Is Larry Nance a role-player? Is Shawn Marion? I think I'll be backing them. I'd think Divac, Ho Grant, Eddie Jones, Terry Porter, Schrempf, Hornacek types might be in the discussion for the last 20-odd spots. These guys aren't "alpha" scorers, but most aren't (otoh) as low volume or adding as large a proportion of their value on D as Grant.

Return to Player Comparisons