40%

Total votes: 10

Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

MJ/Kobe or Shaq/Wilt? 

Post#1 » by Quotatious » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:35 pm

Which duo would you rather have? Which do you see coexisting better? (all guys in their primes).
MacGill
Veteran
And1: 466

Re: MJ/Kobe or Shaq/Wilt? 

Post#2 » by MacGill » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:47 pm

Shaq and Wilt. Shaq could pass on the 'I don't give a F%^K about being a giant etc. Plus Wilt would keep Shaq always on point from an endurance stand point etc. I see them actually helping each other. We also seen Wilt dramatically switch his role, something Kobe/MJ never did. Plus Kobe would be wanting to prove he was the man and MJ putting him back in his place etc.
Rupert Murdoch
Starter
And1: 1,906

Post#3 » by Rupert Murdoch » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:09 pm

Rule of thumb in basketball, when you have a choice between a small and a big and the two are comparable in talent/quality, always take the big. It's just significantly easier to build a top team around a big man than a perimeter player. And it shouldn't even be a debate when you're comparing two big men to a perimeter duo. It would be damn near impossible to score inside with Shaq and Wilt clogging the lanes. Now offensively, Kobe and MJ has the edge but the defensive advantage Shaq and Wilt has over MJ/Kobe is enormous. You can always find perimeter scoring but big men that can play both ends of the floor at a high level is extremely difficult to obtain. So I would take the Shaq/Wilt duo without hesitation.
Exodus
Banned User
And1: 571

Post#4 » by Exodus » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:10 pm

The team that is clutch and can hit free throws.

MJ/Kobe
MacGill
Veteran
And1: 466

Post#5 » by MacGill » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:14 pm

Exodus wrote:The team that is clutch and can hit free throws.

MJ/Kobe

Easily ;)
MikeXL
Sophomore
And1: 47

Post#6 » by MikeXL » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:21 pm

I'd roll the dice on Shaq and Wilt. It's easier to find a quality guard than a big, and bigs impact the game more anyway.

Both duos egos would explode anyhow.
ceiling raiser
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,728

Post#7 » by ceiling raiser » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:05 am

This is Shaq/Wilt IMO, but I can't even conceive how that team would run on either end. Both guys played near the rim on both ends (though Wilt liked to take that stupid fadeaway so he'd go out a bit further, in his younger years especially), and neither is a good enough outside shoot to play a high post role (if you want to run a hi-lo offense).

Both guys played a bit in a triple post offense (Wilt in the primitive Hannum offense with the Sixers, Shaq in the triangle with Phil/Tex), with Shaq looking to score more and Wilt looking to feed, so maybe they could figure something out.

Actually, maybe this is MJ/Kobe. I'd probably take them 3rd and 4th respectively in a draft of the four (just because of the scarcity of bigs, though I think MJ, along with Russ, is one of only two players with a strong GOAT argument), but even without a big man, and even though both guys liked to score, it's a better fit just based on their effective range.

Never mind, can't go away from the two bigs. Sorry Kobe/Mike. :) Even if it implodes, trade one of the centers for a king's ransom, and you're set.
Now that's the difference between first and last place.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#8 » by Ballerhogger » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:03 am

Oh come on..

Two giant Twin Towers........ come on OP

Return to Player Comparisons