E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Re: PC Board OT thread 

Post#861 » by E-Balla » Thu May 21, 2015 1:56 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
The-Power wrote:
Chuck Texas wrote:^ Every game not called by the Breen/JVG/Jackson crew I want to just turn the sound off. For me Breen is clearly the cream of the crop of the play by play guys. He does a great job of adding to the excitement of the big moments. JVG is by far the smartest analyst going and he's not afraid to criticize guys something all the former players are loathe to do. Jackson isn't great, but I don't mind him as much as most.

It's annoying as hell when JVG and MJ start ranting or discussing about some topic for hours and hours while the game is going on. I mean, even when great stuff happens on the court they simply don't care about it because they have to keep a random rant going. "Oh, a contested step-back three to tie the game with two minutes left, but let's get back to the important talk - man, it's unfair to criticize the coach for not drinking enough apple juice, I will never understand this kind of agenda and strawberry juice is better for your health anyway." Great entertainment and insight.

Yeah, their banter is great at times but it drags on for far too long most of the time.

Hate to say this but the coaching stint in GSW really deflated MJAX. He used to be pretty passionate and his catchphrases at least sounded okay when he acted like he enjoyed saying them. His comedic timing used to be pretty good as well. This season He's basically been mailing it in and hunting opportunities to take shots at guys he still has grudges against, you can just tell he doesn't care.

An underrated aspect of Mike Breen is that he has a knack for egging these two on and goading them into saying controversial stuff. He knows exactly what buttons to push to get JVG going without being controversial himself. JVG is a smart dude, but I hate how he acts like coaches are always above reproach.

Overall though agree with Chuck that they're the best current commentary group by a margin.

But Mark's new grudge led to one of the funniest calls of the season ("losing game 7 on the road to the Clippers in the first round can cost you your job"). I agree he was better before though and personally he's amazing doing Warriors games (brings up some cool stories about the players pretty often - like Ezeli graduating HS at 14).

IDK what you guys are saying with Reggie though. He's never once been funny, he's annoyingly corny, he repeats the same not funny things constantly like maybe they'll get a laugh this time, and he's about as knowledgeable as Chuck while not being entertaining like Chuck to make up for it. Last night isn't the exception for Reggie Miller it's how bad he usually is. It was just made worse because he said it exactly as Millsap was guarding Lebron well.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#862 » by The-Power » Thu May 21, 2015 2:01 pm

E-Balla wrote: I agree he was better before though and personally he's amazing doing Warriors games (brings up some cool stories about the players pretty often - like Ezeli graduating HS at 14).

Or that he started Rookie-Ezeli during the Denver series 2012/13 which, well, in fact never happened. :lol:
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#863 » by E-Balla » Thu May 21, 2015 2:16 pm

The-Power wrote:
E-Balla wrote: I agree he was better before though and personally he's amazing doing Warriors games (brings up some cool stories about the players pretty often - like Ezeli graduating HS at 14).

Or that he started Rookie-Ezeli during the Denver series 2012/13 which, well, in fact never happened. :lol:

Don't remember him saying that one. My darn selective memory. :lol:
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#864 » by Dr Spaceman » Thu May 21, 2015 2:23 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:I'll add that I'm more interested in being entertained rather than being informed by my broadcast crew.

That's fair. Speaking for myself I watch a majority of nat. broadcasts and basically every playoff game, and for me hearing "Stop on a dime give 'em nine cents change", while endearing, doesn't have the same effect hearing it for the 1000th time as opposed to the first. It's kind of like having a friend as a roommate- there's stuff you like about them at first, but the more time you spend with them the more apparent their flaws become.

I think networks generally hire from your perspective, which makes sense as that's likely what casual fans are attracted to. I and the rest of the junkies on this forum are going to watch regardless, so I can see why they don't want to get guys who are great analysts but very dry. I understand my needs are very different from a majority of basketball fans.

Interesting to hear from a hardcore guy like yourself though who just wants to be entertained. It's a different perspective for sure.

Chuck Texas wrote:Now its really cool when you get an ex-player or coach who really shares some next-level insight and point out some things that I'm not seeing. But since that so rarely happens I just want them to add some flavor to the experience.

This is why I'm such a big Bones fan. Seriously, if Brent Barry replaced Steve Kerr full-time as the eloquent, way-overqualified-for-this color guy, I'd be ecstatic.

Bones is like Heisenberg blue. Once you hear his commentary, nothing else will suffice.

Chuck Texas wrote:My least favorite thing is the ex-player who reminds us 83 times in the broadcast that he used to play--and yes I'm talking about you, Chris Webber. Webber may be the worst analyst going right now. He never points out anything worth noting, he's extremely mono-toned the whole time, and he can't help but take subtle shots at the bigs he used to go at. Webber is way worse than Reggie imo.

:lol: I'll have to pay more attention to Webber, multiple guys now have said he's terrible. I actually remember thinking I'd like it if he replaced Shaq on Inside, but I don't really watch that anymore.

One last note, I think there's a big problem when these networks are hiring entertainers as opposed to analysts. When the casual fans like a commentator, and he provides bad information, that stuff can spread quickly and lead to a generally ill-informed public. I've noticed this with Reggie before, where his blatantly false info is repeated by fans who don't know any better.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#865 » by The-Power » Thu May 21, 2015 2:34 pm

E-Balla wrote:
The-Power wrote:

Don't remember him saying that one. My darn selective memory. :lol:

It was pretty funny because JVG was like "wow, really?" and he was like "yeah, really!". I, for one, think he simply saw another opportunity to subtly discredit Bogut and his injury-history (and maybe to prove how hampered his teams were compared to this year's team). Don't let the truth get in the way of your personal vendetta. :lol:

Or he really thought Ezeli started (who, by the way, didn't even play much in this series (about 9 MPG), thus wasn't much of a factor). But that doesn't reflect well on him as a coach either, in my opinion.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,821

Post#866 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 21, 2015 3:05 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Interesting to hear from a hardcore guy like yourself though who just wants to be entertained. It's a different perspective for sure.

Oh I'd rather have some guy who during down times, shows us a replay and highlights some of the off-ball action, or subtle shifts made by a defender that is easy to miss when watching a game just to be entertained. For instance the Mavs color guy is former PG Derek Harper. And he's a terrible broadcaster who has absolutely no familiarity with any non-Mavs players and barely any with our guys. He is the king of generic talk. But, like once every 10 games he gives this brilliant insight into what's going on out on the court and I want to scream at him: do THIS all the freaking time.

But there are so few guys who get jobs who have the ability to even do this, and yeah I agree I think the networks don't really want them doing that as much as they want big name ex-players and PBP guys who can sell excitement. It's one of the reasons why I like Van Gundy so much. He's smart and shares insight fairly regularly, but he also gets that he has to be entertaining and outrageous to please the network.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Post#867 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu May 21, 2015 3:19 pm

I admittedly have pretty strong feelings about play by play guys / color commentators. I’m personally not interested in them “putting on a show” for my entertainment above everything else. I’d rather them be the background to the game, and bring some insight here and there for a good flow.

Still think marv is the best in the business, and breen is basically his second coming. My only issue with breen is that he almost overplays being impartial. It can get annoying. I don’t mind harlan at times, but his over the top style overall doesn’t do it for me. Tirico’s fine, but not on the marv / breen level to me.

As for mark jackson, he needs to get back on a bench somewhere. Even if he has gotten better, my opinion of him hasn’t really changed. He rarely says anything of substance, and beats the catch phrases and sports cliches to death. The banter with breen and JVG doesn’t outweigh his lack of decent analysis at all. I know JVG likes to play the contrarian on purpose, but I still like to hear what he has to say most of the time.

As for hubie, I understand if you’re neutral on him these days, but there’s this small contingent of fans who seem to hate the guy, and I don’t get it. I wonder if it’s just an age gap thing (i’m getting this mostly from reading game threads on reddit). For me personally, I learned so much from him growing up by just listening to him and ramsay on the call. So seeing people hate on a basketball mind as great as him is just strange to me.

I get that he sticks to basic box score stats, and maybe he’s slipping a little, but I still enjoy how he calls the game like he’s still coaching, and then switches to being a fan when a team’s making a comeback or a player he likes is playing well.

Reggie’s awful, and continues to be awful. I don’t have to go into detail on this.

Webber needs to replace shaq in the studio, but they just re-upped shaq, so that won’t be happening anytime soon. I’ve enjoyed brent barry and steve smith in the playoffs. Hope they continue to call games next season.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#868 » by E-Balla » Thu May 21, 2015 3:59 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Oh I'd rather have some guy who during down times, shows us a replay and highlights some of the off-ball action, or subtle shifts made by a defender that is easy to miss when watching a game just to be entertained. For instance the Mavs color guy is former PG Derek Harper. And he's a terrible broadcaster who has absolutely no familiarity with any non-Mavs players and barely any with our guys. He is the king of generic talk. But, like once every 10 games he gives this brilliant insight into what's going on out on the court and I want to scream at him: do THIS all the freaking time.

But there are so few guys who get jobs who have the ability to even do this, and yeah I agree I think the networks don't really want them doing that as much as they want big name ex-players and PBP guys who can sell excitement. It's one of the reasons why I like Van Gundy so much. He's smart and shares insight fairly regularly, but he also gets that he has to be entertaining and outrageous to please the network.

I think I'm with Chuck on this topic. Entertain me I already know basketball. I'll like to add that I think Clyde should really be doing national games. The man is too good and he learned the games of all of the scrub Knicks players this season immediately. Guy had Shved's whole game down before he came to the team. Just can't pronounce names. :lol:
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#869 » by kingkirk » Fri May 22, 2015 6:48 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:As for hubie, I understand if you’re neutral on him these days, but there’s this small contingent of fans who seem to hate the guy, and I don’t get it. I wonder if it’s just an age gap thing (i’m getting this mostly from reading game threads on reddit). For me personally, I learned so much from him growing up by just listening to him and ramsay on the call. So seeing people hate on a basketball mind as great as him is just strange to me.

I get that he sticks to basic box score stats, and maybe he’s slipping a little, but I still enjoy how he calls the game like he’s still coaching, and then switches to being a fan when a team’s making a comeback or a player he likes is playing well.

I got into a debate about Hubie on the GB the other day. Like you note here, there is a contingent of fans that loathe Brown. I must have been ignorant to that fact, blinded by how much I love him when he is calling games.

This kind of shocked me. I couldn't imagine hating Brown. Yeah, he is getting old, says some basic stuff, but I still think he can break down a play better than anyone.

I get my entertainment by learning from Hubie. I love his, "There you go", as he prefaces his explanation of the play that just unfolded, which he goes onto break down and analyse for the fan.

I tend to like all former coaches that call games. Be it Hubie, Collins, Fratello, even JVG. These guys are always my favourite, especially over the ex-players.

It makes sense, too, as these guys need to be great communicators to be a coach, so it flows through naturally when they call. With players, the same can't always be said.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#870 » by bondom34 » Fri May 22, 2015 6:58 am

Hubie is weird to me. I like him if my team is paying well, hate him when they're not. I think he tends to praise the team winning his games, and it makes me flip flop every time.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Post#871 » by PaulieWal » Fri May 22, 2015 7:41 am

I think the reason some don't like Hubie is that he picks his teams and then will indirectly root for that team. He does have a tendency to root for the underdogs and sometimes it was pretty annoying to watch Heat games with him over the past 4 years. Even in game 6 of the Memphis-GSW series he was pretty biased and I get the Memphis connection he has but still.

Other than that, yeah he's a strong analyst and likes to breakdown plays but sometimes can be annoying.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#872 » by MisterHibachi » Fri May 22, 2015 11:08 pm

I can't seem to find any full regular season game from the 91 Bulls season. Any one know where I can find a bunch to start that Jordan thread?

Or we can limit ourselves to the playoffs and watch that whole run.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#873 » by Dr Spaceman » Sat May 23, 2015 12:07 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:I can't seem to find any full regular season game from the 91 Bulls season. Any one know where I can find a bunch to start that Jordan thread?

This guy has like 6 RS games, and a bunch from other Jordan seasons as well
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFN4jiUEsgseTSrHOqRi42Q/search?query=1991
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Post#874 » by Clyde Frazier » Sun May 24, 2015 4:51 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TommyBeer/status/602296352698150913[/tweet]
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#875 » by Quotatious » Sun May 24, 2015 9:20 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/TommyBeer/status/602296352698150913[/tweet]

:lol: Someone should give Curry those stats, so he could return the "favor" and disrespect the Rockets this time (I mean Houston sending Nick Johnson to shake hands with Steph before the series, instead of Harden or Howard). Curry should tell Dwight that he's a better 3-pt shooter than DH is as a FT shooter.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#876 » by E-Balla » Sun May 24, 2015 9:31 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:I can't seem to find any full regular season game from the 91 Bulls season. Any one know where I can find a bunch to start that Jordan thread?

I got lucky enough in a thread on here to become Plex friends with someone with hundreds of old Jordan games but I'm not sure if I have download permissions. If I do I could throw them in a Dropbox folder. I'll look into it tomorrow since I have the day off if you guys want.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#877 » by kingkirk » Sun May 24, 2015 11:58 pm

E-Balla wrote:I got lucky enough in a thread on here to become Plex friends with someone with hundreds of old Jordan games but I'm not sure if I have download permissions. If I do I could throw them in a Dropbox folder. I'll look into it tomorrow since I have the day off if you guys want.

You would reach top 5 poster of all time status if you could arrange this. At worst, you'd be better than bondom.
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Post#878 » by PaulieWal » Mon May 25, 2015 12:01 am

Mark K wrote:You would reach top 5 poster of all time status if you could arrange this. At worst, you'd be better than bondom.

Ouch, what a low blow. Poor bondom. :lol:
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#879 » by kingkirk » Mon May 25, 2015 12:05 am

PaulieWal wrote:Ouch, what a low blow. Poor bondom. :lol:

He knows my sarcastic tone. :lol: I hope.

But seriously E-Balla, you > bondom.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#880 » by bondom34 » Mon May 25, 2015 12:34 am

Mark K wrote:
E-Balla wrote:I got lucky enough in a thread on here to become Plex friends with someone with hundreds of old Jordan games but I'm not sure if I have download permissions. If I do I could throw them in a Dropbox folder. I'll look into it tomorrow since I have the day off if you guys want.

You would reach top 5 poster of all time status if you could arrange this. At worst, you'd be better than bondom.

I'm shocked he's not already.

Spoiler:
Also, King Cuban was a much better poster than this Mark K guy.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO

Return to Player Comparisons