PG: Russell Westbrook / Jordan Farmar

Coach: Thibs, Assistant Alvin Gentry

Assuming everyone staying healthy.
Exodus
Banned User
And1: 571

Re: How would this team do in 14/15? 

Post#2 » by Exodus » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:40 pm

I don't think they would make the playoffs in the Western Conference. If they played in the East, I say they have a shot maybe around the 6th to 8th seed.
RebelWithACause
Starter
And1: 537

Post#3 » by RebelWithACause » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:44 am

Exodus wrote:I don't think they would make the playoffs in the Western Conference. If they played in the East, I say they have a shot maybe around the 6th to 8th seed.

Why?
Fed
Junior
And1: 424

Post#4 » by Fed » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:29 am

Lot of size in that lineup. I think you'd need a more athletic pairing for Westbrook.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,837

Post#5 » by giberish » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:42 am

Westbrook and Gallo is a strong top-2. The mythical healthy Bogut at C also helps. Pau should really be playing C, and the bench is pretty weak (essentially all low-end backup/good 3rd string guys). Probably around 50 wins.

Given the health issues of the best players and the weak bench, if you take away the 'everybody stays healthy caveat I'd say 30-40 wins, depending on just how bad the injuries hit.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#6 » by HornetJail » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:36 pm

Very injury-prone frontcourt, below-average bench unit- this may not make the playoffs in either conference. I'd say 30 wins

But since we're assuming everyone's healthy, I'll give them benefit of the doubt and have them squeak into the 8th seed in the East with about 42 wins.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
berkkobe7
Senior
And1: 419

Post#7 » by berkkobe7 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:07 pm

Westbrook will score 50

Sent from my SM-G900FQ using RealGM Forums mobile app
RebelWithACause
Starter

Post#8 » by RebelWithACause » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:07 pm

How strong/weak would you guys see their offense and defense?
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#9 » by HornetJail » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:34 pm

RebelWithACause wrote:How strong/weak would you guys see their offense and defense?

Interior defense looks good with Bogut (healthy Bogut?) in the middle, and Russell Westbrook is a solid defender as well, but teams with multiple scoring wings and forwards are going to feast on Gasol, Gallinari, Fournier, and the All-Lakers bench. Offense looks decent- at best, it's like top 12 or so in the league, but no better. Westbrook probably scores close to 30ppg and Gallinari and Gasol will be the biggest beneficiaries of the defensive attention Westbrook draws, but Gallinari really shouldn't be a second option on a team hoping to do much out West.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
RebelWithACause
Starter

Post#10 » by RebelWithACause » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:45 pm

BizGilwalker wrote:
RebelWithACause wrote:How strong/weak would you guys see their offense and defense?

Interior defense looks good with Bogut (healthy Bogut?) in the middle, and Russell Westbrook is a solid defender as well, but teams with multiple scoring wings and forwards are going to feast on Gasol, Gallinari, Fournier, and the All-Lakers bench. Offense looks decent- at best, it's like top 12 or so in the league, but no better. Westbrook probably scores close to 30ppg and Gallinari and Gasol will be the biggest beneficiaries of the defensive attention Westbrook draws, but Gallinari really shouldn't be a second option on a team hoping to do much out West.

Gallinari actually mesasures out as a good defender for years now (before his injury).
Fournier looks average on defense, not mediocre.
Gasol was bad last season(s), but with Bogut next to him, he could get to the average level again on D.
The bench offers some passable defenders as well (Johnson, Davis and Gobert, someone that could take a big step as a player this year if given minutes).
Bogut was healthy last season, the broken rib towards could happen to anybody. It looks worse because he could not play in the PS.

On top of that, which team has multiple scoring wings? (as in good multiple scoring wings?!).

Westbrook would really help some guys out for their scoring, Fournier, Gasol and Gallinari mainly.
There is also Nick Young off the bench , who can provide a spark offensively. Farmar too, actually.

I think they would be a Top10 offense and Top10 defense.

I think you tend to underrank this team and some players on it in particular.
SuperCoolMayo
Senior
And1: 376

Post#11 » by SuperCoolMayo » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:56 pm

Playoff Bound I can't see them passing WCSF
Day106 wrote: If anything I see curry as a more complete offensive player than Lebron. Curry has the edge in playmaking, and scoring from literally anywhere else on the floor. He also spaces the floor anyone in history just by dribbling the ball up the court.
RebelWithACause
Starter

Post#12 » by RebelWithACause » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:20 pm

RebelWithACause wrote:
BizGilwalker wrote:

Gallinari actually mesasures out as a good defender for years now (before his injury).
Gasol was bad last season(s), but with Bogut next to him, he could get to the average level again on D.
The bench offers some passable defenders as well (Johnson, Davis and Gobert, someone that could take a big step as a player this year if given minutes).
Bogut was healthy last season, the broken rib towards could happen to anybody. It looks worse because he could not play in the PS.

On top of that, which team has multiple scoring wings? (as in good multiple scoring wings?!).

Westbrook would really help some guys out for their scoring, Fournier, Gasol and Gallinari mainly.
There is also Nick Young off the bench , who can provide a spark offensively. Farmar too, actually.

No rebuttal here Biz?
Darren_Errman
Senior
And1: 265

Post#13 » by Darren_Errman » Fri Aug 1, 2014 2:29 am

Very good team. 4th-8th seed in the West and a 2nd round exit. Very big team that lacks speed a little.
RebelWithACause
Starter

Post#14 » by RebelWithACause » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:55 pm

Any more opinions?

(especially with the emergence of Gobert and Davis in the Pre Season)
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#15 » by GYK » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:40 pm

Healthy, this is a pretty good team
The obvious hole is the two guard spot. However you could just go with the hot hand. Young when he's hot. Wesley when his confident. Kent when confident. Evan probably is the best choice to start and maybe finish games.
The interior defense and rebounding should be one of the best in the league.
Westbrook, while I don't think he's Rose, is the next gear type that a system coach needs, well any coach needs reason we consider players stars is their ability to take over the game.
Gallo is an ok second option but if Gasol is still a second option then 3rd the team is much improved.

If Thibs defensive scheme can help the wings, Dun is with Butler, then this is a contender. If not a second round team.
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#16 » by HornetJail » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:14 pm

RebelWithACause wrote:
RebelWithACause wrote:
BizGilwalker wrote:Interior defense looks good with Bogut (healthy Bogut?) in the middle, and Russell Westbrook is a solid defender as well, but teams with multiple scoring wings and forwards are going to feast on Gasol, Gallinari, Fournier, and the All-Lakers bench. Offense looks decent- at best, it's like top 12 or so in the league, but no better. Westbrook probably scores close to 30ppg and Gallinari and Gasol will be the biggest beneficiaries of the defensive attention Westbrook draws, but Gallinari really shouldn't be a second option on a team hoping to do much out West.

No rebuttal here Biz?

I forget, does everyone on this team stay healthy? If so, I could see 45+ wins in the West, otherwise significantly less. Gallo was a decent defender before the injury, but he's been out of commission for 18 months. Fournier isn't starter material. We'll have to wait and see on Gasol.
Bogut is a defensive stud but I don't trust him to stay healthy. He anchors the paint as well as anyone, but you can't really play him more than 24-26 minutes a game at this point.
Gobert is an interesting prospect but I'm not sure he can anchor a defense yet, seems to be a raw prospect. Ed Davis is "meh", Young is injured, Johnson is athletic but not special, and Jordan Farmar is extremely ordinary. The team falls off hard if Bogut or Gasol gets hurt, falls a fair bit if Gallo isn't 100%, and they're horrendous if Westbrook gets hurt. Maybe they crack the 7th or 8th seed but there are way too many question marks here.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
RebelWithACause
Starter

Post#17 » by RebelWithACause » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:15 pm

BizGilwalker wrote:
RebelWithACause wrote:
RebelWithACause wrote:

No rebuttal here Biz?

I forget, does everyone on this team stay healthy? If so, I could see 45+ wins in the West, otherwise significantly less. Gallo was a decent defender before the injury, but he's been out of commission for 18 months. Fournier isn't starter material. We'll have to wait and see on Gasol.
Bogut is a defensive stud but I don't trust him to stay healthy. He anchors the paint as well as anyone, but you can't really play him more than 24-26 minutes a game at this point.
Gobert is an interesting prospect but I'm not sure he can anchor a defense yet, seems to be a raw prospect. Ed Davis is "meh", Young is injured, Johnson is athletic but not special, and Jordan Farmar is extremely ordinary. The team falls off hard if Bogut or Gasol gets hurt, falls a fair bit if Gallo isn't 100%, and they're horrendous if Westbrook gets hurt. Maybe they crack the 7th or 8th seed but there are way too many question marks here.

I agree that this team offers a lot of question marks and concerncs, however also incredible potential.
Every good team falls of a cliff if someone gets injured. If Kemba or Jefferson get hurt tomorrow the Hornets will be close to 20 wins again than 45 ;)
So yes, the prediciton is obviously based on health.

Bogut will see around +30 mpg this season. Kerr is planning to use him more than Jackson did, on offense as well.

Gobert should anchor the bench, not the starting line up, and he has shown plenty of postives to do that incredibly well.
Ed Davis will pleasantly suprirse for the Lakers, I watched him every preseason game and he is by far the best big the Lakers have right now. That, of course, is not saying much, but indicates a good backup.
So with Young, Farmar, Bazemore and Johnson completing the bench I think this is a solid second unit with a great first unit.
Oh and we disagree on Fournier, I see him as a potential breakout player this year.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,159

Post#18 » by cpower » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:21 pm

That's comparable to Memphis team, who has Gasol/Zach/Conley big three, but weaker in defense. so 7-8 seed in the west.
RebelWithACause
Starter

Post#19 » by RebelWithACause » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:39 pm

More opinions now that a lot of those players progressed a ton?

Return to Player Comparisons