RealGM Top 100 List #12

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Jim Naismith
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,973

Re: RealGM Top 100 List #12 

Post#261 » by Jim Naismith » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:02 am

Basketballefan wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:Not to mention some great Oscar posts as well.

Don't know about changing my Malone vote just yet, but I see it being a much more difficult choice now. I've got Malone, Kobe, Dirk, Oscar, West, and Erving all in a virtual tie in my head. Only reason Robinson isn't there is because of longevity.

What about Moses don't you think he should be in the top 12-16 mix as well?

Moses Malone
has a strong case for #12.

Awards
3 MVP's (more than any other player left)
1 Finals MVP (no centers under consideration have won this)
won MVPs against Bird, Dr. J, Magic, Kareem
4x First Team, 4x Second Team
1x Defensive 1st Team, 1x Defensive 2nd Team

Rebounding and Scoring
Chairman of the Boards: Top rebounder for 6 years
Elite offensive rebounder:
    #1 in Career ORB
    had 5 of the top 10 ORB seasons, including #1, #2, and #3 seasons
Great scorer: Top 5 scorer for 5 years, Top 10 scorer for 8 years

Strong Peak and Prime, Great Career

5-year peak: 26.8 ppg /15.4 rpg
13-year prime: 23.8 ppg /13.4 rpg
21-year career: 20.3 ppg /12.3 rpg
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,275

Post#262 » by trex_8063 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:15 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:Vote for #12 - Dr. J
--snip---

Thanks for the videos. I guess I'd forgotten (or just never appreciated) how good his mid-range (well...short-to-mid-range: like 10-17 ft.) was.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Jim Naismith
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,973

Post#263 » by Jim Naismith » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:15 am

There are many great candidates left, but I think Moses is the most dominant candidate.

The impact of some players is of a more speculative nature.
Moses Malone's impact was obvious and enormous.

Impact and Dominance

Led sub-.500 team (1981 Rockets) to NBA finals
    eliminated Kareem-Magic Lakers (reigning champs)

Moses-less Houston, after trading him away in 1982, won 32 fewer games

Led 1983 Sixers to championship:
    Fo-Fo-Fo: Lost only one game during playoffs

Swept Kareem-Magic Lakers (reigning champs who had beaten 1982 Sixers 4-2)
lorak
Head Coach
And1: 2,231

Post#264 » by lorak » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:17 am

Baller2014 wrote:The vote btw appears to be wide open. I count at least 41 participating voters this thread, so nobody is even close to a majority. A lot of the Oscar and ex-KG voters are also hovering before voting officially still (technically I count at least 11 Oscar votes thus far, based on poster comments in the last 2 threads). Thus far I have it:

Kobe- 7 (JBulls, Bballfan, Ardee, GC Pan, LArts, Shaqattack, Batmana)
K.Malone- 5 (Baller, Trex, realbig3, Merl, FJS)
Oscar- 4 (HBreak, Quo, Narigo, Quinn)
West- 2 (RayBan, Pen)
Dr J- 1 (Warspite)
D.Rob- 1 (Shutupandjam)

When lukekarts voted for Kobe?

My count is:

Oscar 7 ( DannyNoonan1221, DQuinn1575, Heartbreakkid, lorak, Narigo, Owly, Quotatious)
Kobe 6 (Ardee, Basketballefan, batmana, GC Pantalones, JordanBulls, ShaqAttack3234)
K. Malone 5 (baller2014, FJS, magicmerl, therealbig3, trex_8063)
West 2 (penbeast, RayBan-Sematra)
Dr J 2 ( Clyde Frazier, Warspite)
Drob 1 ( shutupandjam)
Baller2014
Banned User
And1: 519

Post#265 » by Baller2014 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:22 am

ShaqAttack3234 wrote:
Robinson was still comparable to anyone in the league defensively in 2001, so lets not get ridiculous. I never said Shaq didn't take pressure off Kobe, but it was still a remarkable series by Kobe. He was the best player in a series that included prime Shaq and prime Duncan, and Phil Jackson also said Kobe was the best player that series.

He looked like the best player, but that's because Shaq had to contend with the Spurs best players, while Kobe went against horrible players. Phil always considered Shaq the superior player in their primes, and said so many times (including in his books), often urging Kobe to run the offence through Shaq like he was supposed to.

When did Kobe have a stacked team outside of '98 when he was a teenager, and when the '04 Lakers were healthy, which was what? Half the season? And that wasn't the case in the most important series, which also happened to be the only series they lost.

This is a ridiculous argument because the Lakers had very weak supporting casts outside of Shaq and Kobe, so while Shaq was dominant enough in his prime to keep them afloat at 60 or so win paces when Kobe was out, he was an anomaly. Those teams weren't build to last without their stars. They worked because they had a few solid defensive-minded role players whose limitations weren't a problem because of how dominant the duo was.

As for the '05-'07 Lakers, everyone knows those teams were garbage.

This sort of comparison is problematic, because Karl and Kobe had different sorts of teams. Karl tended to have balanced and deeper teams (except in Kobe's 2nd title run), while the Lakers tended to have weak depth, but huge star power. Sure, the players Kobe played with from 99-04 (when Shaq was out) or 05-07 do not compare favourably to Karl Malone's teams... but it's not like for like, because Karl Malone was producing better team results too, his teams weren't playing at a 38 win pace, nor were they winning 34-45 games through his prime either. Because their circumstances were so different, I haven't spent much time comparing their team results, because it's tough to do. Kobe certainly had better circumstances the years he actually won 5 rings though, including being the 2nd best player by a pretty large margin for the first 3.

I already addressed your ridiculously slanted comparison between Malone's '88 efficiency and Kobe's. '01-'10 Kobe was a 55 TS% player at a time when league average efficiency on average was significantly lower, so nice try.

And no, it's not a slight advantage on offense.

Kobe's playoff TS% was only above 537. once from 99-05 and post 2010. So outside the 5 year stretch that Infamous focused on, Karl's 537. TS% would be something Kobe would be proud to own. I don't see how that's slanted, it reflects that Kobe's TS. throughout his career was not as infamous paints it, which is why his career average is 541. TS%, and that Kobe's TS% was at it's best when a) he was noted to have stopped putting nearly as much effort into D, so he could focus on O more, and b) the rules changed to help Kobe.

In no way, shape or form was Malone even equal to Kobe in the playoffs, much less better

Let's take Karl Malone's physical, statistical and actual peak, from 88-93 (at age 25-30). Through those playoffs Karl was putting up 28.5ppg and 11.9rpg over a 6 year stretch. I haven't calculated it, but at a glance his TS% looks to be about 54%. If that guesstimate is wrong, please feel free to correct me. So Karl's "worse" playoff numbers are still better than Kobe's cherry picked numbers. On D Karl was still hugely more impactful too. What's the evidence 88-93 Karl was less impactful than playoff Kobe, even cherry picked 06-10 playoff Kobe? He looks more impactful to me.

So what are we left with:
- Karl's better on O in the regular season, and is comparably good in the playoffs (depends a little on which numbers you're using, peak to peak, career, cherry picked 5 year samples, etc)
- Karl is massively more impactful on D, regular season and playoffs.
- Karl has much more longevity
- Karl has none of Kobe's negatives
Looking at all that, I don't see what Kobe's argument is.

Actually, 5 years is a very normal prime. Players typically aren't the same player for much more than that. Even if you look at Malone and his freakish longevity and sustained excellence, he was pretty much a different player from '89-'93 and then '94-'00.

Don't fully agree, but to the extent I do I think it's problematic that Kobe fans are asserting a much longer prime on the one hand, and then trying to reduce the sample to 06-10 on the other, especially when his good defensive period was long over by 06.

Again, the fact you're calling it slightly shows how difficult it is for you to give Kobe any credit. Yeah, Kobe had some negatives as a player, primarily the 2001 regular season(which he sorted out come playoff time when he played better than Malone did in his entire career), the 2004 season and sometimes hurting his team by shooting too much('03 vs the Spurs), but I'll take that with Kobe's ability to step up in the playoffs over Malone's good attitude and tendency for shrinking when it mattered most. I'd bet money almost everyone in or around the NBA would as well.

Let's take Kobe's 2001 playoffs. He put up 29-7-6 on 55TS%, some of which was against porous D, and with Shaq there to take defensive attention away from him. You claim that was better than any playoffs Karl had, yet in 1992 Karl Malone had 29-11-3 on a 61TS% Karl played 16 games that playoffs too, so you can't claim small sample size, and of course Karl's D was much more impactful (even over 2001 Kobe, who was a great perimeter defender). Certainly there doesn't seem to be any clear advantage to Kobe.

But let's take a step back, and this sort of argument reveals just how flimsy the pro-Kobe argument is. We're excluding all the regular season, defensive impact, longevity and intangibles, just to find something Kobe might have an advantage in.
Baller2014
Banned User

Post#266 » by Baller2014 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:24 am

lorak wrote:My count is:

Oscar 7 ( DannyNoonan1221, DQuinn1575, Heartbreakkid, lorak, Narigo, Owly, Quotatious)
Kobe 6 (Ardee, Basketballefan, batmana, GC Pantalones, JordanBulls, ShaqAttack3234)
K. Malone 5 (baller2014, FJS, magicmerl, therealbig3, trex_8063)
West 2 (penbeast, RayBan-Sematra)
Dr J 2 ( Clyde Frazier, Warspite)
Drob 1 ( shutupandjam)

I must have missed some of the Oscar voters, who don't use bold. Oops.

Your new count is otherwise right, except for missing Lukearts, who voted for Kobe oddly enough.
ThaRegul8r
Head Coach
And1: 3,019

Post#267 » by ThaRegul8r » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:32 am

Quotatious wrote:I'm very curious where Walton will go, but all due respect to him, based on his amazing peak, but I think it's way too early for him to get traction yet - it's just disrespectful to talk about Walton when the other guys give you about 10 seasons of superstar play, compared to like 2 of Walton (actually Karl Malone gives you about 15). I think even #47 (as he was voted in 2011), is too high - the list is supposed to be based on entire careers, right?

I'm curious as to where the people whose GOAT lists are essentially peak lists rank Walton.
I remember your posts from the RPOY project, you consistently brought it. Please continue to do so, sir. This board needs guys like you to counteract ... worthless posters

Retirement isn’t the end of the road, but just a turn in the road. – Unknown
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#268 » by semi-sentient » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:33 am

Baller2014 wrote:He looked like the best player, but that's because Shaq had to contend with the Spurs best players, while Kobe went against horrible players. Phil always considered Shaq the superior player in their primes, and said so many times (including in his books), often urging Kobe to run the offence through Shaq like he was supposed to.

But that's not really the case in the 2001 playoffs.

Kobe looked like the best player at times because Phil reached an agreement with both Shaq and Kobe on how they would play in the post-season. The plan was to let Kobe dominate the offense on the road while Shaq became the man at home. You can't argue with the results either. The Lakers were devastating regardless of who the offense ran through. It really didn't matter who ate first; the results were the same either way.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm

Sports Illustrated wrote:It appears that they've settled on having O'Neal, their gargantuan center, dominate at home while Bryant, their acrobatic swingman, takes top billing on the road. Or maybe it's that Shaq does the heavy lifting Monday through Thursday while Kobe works long weekends. It's not clear how they've divided the workload, but in light of the way O'Neal and Bryant carved up the Sacramento Kings in the Lakers' four-game sweep of their Western Conference semifinals last week, it's obvious that it will take an exceedingly strong and swift team to keep Los Angeles from repeating as champion.

When the series moved from Los Angeles to Sacramento for Game 3, the Kings ganged up on O'Neal, which left them vulnerable to Bryant's slicing, spinning forays to the basket and to some breathtaking one-on-one moves that freed him for jump shots. Bryant finished with 36 points in the Lakers' 103-81 victory. Then he outdid himself in Game 4. Although O'Neal fouled out in the fourth quarter with "only" 25 points and 10 rebounds, Bryant carried Los Angeles home with a 48-point, 16-rebound performance.

Bryant seemed to be playing Game 4 with an extra spring in his step, and as it turned out, he and the Lakers needed it. O'Neal was hamstrung by foul trouble most of the game and took only two shots in the fourth quarter. Bryant, who played all 48 minutes, more than compensated with 15 points in the final period, but some of his best work was done earlier, when he devastated the Kings with nine offensive rebounds in the first three quarters. "He's such a quick jumper, he's like a pogo stick," said Sacramento's Doug Christie, who was assigned to guard Bryant most of the game. "He just found ways to beat us today, and that's the mark of a great player."

Bryant went to the foul line 19 times in both Game 3 and Game 4, a measure of how helpless the Kings were to stop him. He has such a quick first step that a defender's first priority has to be to back off and deny him the drive, but that doesn't begin to solve the problems he creates. Bryant is one of the few young players in the league with a polished midrange game, so when his slashes to the basket are cut off, he can stop and drop in whisper-soft jumpers. He has curbed his urge to turn every possession into a ball-handling exhibition, but he's still more than ready to go one-on-one when the situation calls for it, as it did with 3:09 remaining in Game 4, when O'Neal left with his sixth foul and the Lakers were clinging to a 106-103 lead.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
Baller2014
Banned User

Post#269 » by Baller2014 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:38 am

And yet Kobe's vaunted 2001 playoffs, much of it against weak opposition and with Shaq there to take the defensive heat off, still looks worse than Karl Malone's 1992 playoffs.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,103

Post#270 » by therealbig3 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:42 am

Maybe I'm being too harsh...but I don't even have Walton in my top 100. I just don't see how ONE healthy, prime season (and barely healthy at that, he still missed 17 games, and based on how the rest of his career went...him playing in the playoffs was more luck than anything else, because his body could have just as easily broken down by the time the playoffs rolled around) is enough to crack the top 100. It's not like he had a Shaq-level peak either...I'd take Duncan and Garnett over Walton as far as peak goes.

Walton makes my top 12 or so peaks of all time...but that's the only year of value to his career, outside of like literally 2 other seasons where he was a role player (85 Clippers, 86 Celtics).

Not top 100 material imo.

EDIT: The only case I see for Walton is if you want to be super-hypothetical about it. As in, since we were moving certain players back and forth in time, if we apply the same logic to Walton...his injuries would have certainly been better managed and better treated if he had played during a later time, and as a result, he would have added a few years to his prime.

But that's a really tricky area to start exploring, and that's not really something I'd be comfortable doing.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#271 » by trex_8063 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:44 am

Baller2014 wrote:
PS- Can I just say how bizarre an argument it is that Kobe has a 4-2 advantage in "playoffs with a TS% above 55%". Seriously? What sort of argument is that, especially when Karl's got a career playoff TS% of 526. (and which would probably be equal to Kobe's career playoff TS% of 541 if we excluded the years Karl's average got dragged down at age 37-41

Nope. You can take '01 thru '04 out of the picture and Malone's prime playoff TS% (or career thru '00) is still .532 (which is a larger gap than just .009 if we consider relative to the league avg).
I broke down comparisons between Kobe, Malone, and Garnett in the last thread that had most of this stuff side-by-side. Short prime/peak (like best 5-year stretch), extended prime, and VERY extended prime/near-prime comparisons---->Kobe had better playoff TS% (and higher ppg) than Malone for all. Also had the better ORtg for all periods, better WS/48 for all periods, better PER for most periods that could be highlighted (Malone was 0.2 better for extended prime: '89-'00 for Malone, '00-'10 for Kobe........other than that, though....).

But I don't expect pointing these things out to you will get you to stop spinning your wheels on this or any other point that involves the defamation of Kobe Bryant.

Doesn't mean you can't credibly vote for Malone ahead of Kobe (tentatively, I have). But trying to base that position on a playoff comparison is simply the wrong tack. It's on the basis of rs performance and longevity.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
ThaRegul8r
Head Coach
And1: 3,019

Post#272 » by ThaRegul8r » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:47 am

DQuinn1575 wrote:
lorak wrote:
rich316 wrote:
2) I'm not as high on Oscar as others. Chemistry/leadership is big for me, and that looks to be a big minus for him. Nonetheless, his all-around game suggests he would be very effective in many situations. His impact on the Bucks was big, but it's hard for me to take a guy who seems to poison team harmony. Are there any contrarian accounts of Oscar actually being a good teammate?

He definitely wasn't worse teammate than Jordan or Magic. He was - just like them - basketball perfectionist and winner, what sometimes lead - again, just like with both MJs - to conflicts with teammates, who weren't as focused on winning.

Oscar as a teammate

1 lot of credit given to him by jabbar
2 set up Adrian smith to win all star game mvp
3 leader of players in aba NBA labor issues
4 led league in assists numerous times. Players generally like guys who give them assists.
5 people didn't complain that oscar was a perfectionist. They pointed it out that he expected his teammates to raise their level of play.

People who would list Robertson's perfectionism as a debit against him have to be careful. Because Jordan was the same way, and I've seen plenty of people praise him for that over the years. I repeatedly talked about consistency at the beginning of the project, and, continuing in that vein, if people didn't bring up that trait in Jordan as a debit, then it isn't consistent for the exact same trait to be counted as a debit against Robertson. He's been called "Jordan before Jordan," after all, and that doesn't just apply for on court play. As I said, some people are selective in what they count as negatives against players and when they do it.

Of course, those who brought it up as a negative for Jordan can also bring it up as a negative for Robertson without being inconsistent. Though I highly doubt anyone did so before going back to look.
I remember your posts from the RPOY project, you consistently brought it. Please continue to do so, sir. This board needs guys like you to counteract ... worthless posters

Retirement isn’t the end of the road, but just a turn in the road. – Unknown
ShaqAttack3234
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#273 » by ShaqAttack3234 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:49 am

Baller2014 wrote:He looked like the best player, but that's because Shaq had to contend with the Spurs best players, while Kobe went against horrible players. Phil always considered Shaq the superior player in their primes, and said so many times (including in his books), often urging Kobe to run the offence through Shaq like he was supposed to.

I'm well aware of that. I'd never argue Kobe was a better player than Shaq in general in 2001.

This sort of comparison is problematic, because Karl and Kobe had different sorts of teams. Karl tended to have balanced and deeper teams (except in Kobe's 2nd title run), while the Lakers tended to have weak depth, but huge star power. Sure, the players Kobe played with from 99-04 (when Shaq was out) or 05-07 do not compare favourably to Karl Malone's teams... but it's not like for like, because Karl Malone was producing better team results too, his teams weren't playing at a 38 win pace, nor were they winning 34-45 games through his prime either. Because their circumstances were so different, I haven't spent much time comparing their team results, because it's tough to do. Kobe certainly had better circumstances the years he actually won 5 rings though, including being the 2nd best player by a pretty large margin for the first 3.

I don't really disagree with this. I agree this isn't the best way to compare.

Kobe's playoff TS% was only above 537. once from 99-05 and post 2010. So outside the 5 year stretch that Infamous focused on, Karl's 537. TS% would be something Kobe would be proud to own. I don't see how that's slanted, it reflects that Kobe's TS. throughout his career was not as infamous paints it, which is why his career average is 541. TS%, and that Kobe's TS% was at it's best when a) he was noted to have stopped putting nearly as much effort into D, so he could focus on O more, and b) the rules changed to help Kobe.

Again, I covered this. Kobe wasn't even near prime level before 2001, injured in 2004 and didn't even make the playoffs in 2005 so this is a truly ridiculous way to compare.

What do you mean outside of that 5 year stretch? That 5 year stretch was Kobe at his best. How most will remember Kobe when they think back to what kind of a player he was. Taking away a player's best years is ridiculous.

In no way, shape or form was Malone even equal to Kobe in the playoffs, much less better
Let's take Karl Malone's physical, statistical and actual peak, from 88-93 (at age 25-30). Through those playoffs Karl was putting up 28.5ppg and 11.9rpg over a 6 year stretch. I haven't calculated it, but at a glance his TS% looks to be about 54%. If that guesstimate is wrong, please feel free to correct me. So Karl's "worse" playoff numbers are still better than Kobe's cherry picked numbers. On D Karl was still hugely more impactful too. What's the evidence 88-93 Karl was less impactful than playoff Kobe, even cherry picked 06-10 playoff Kobe? He looks more impactful to me.

I didn't do any cherry-picking, but moving on, Malone's TS% is actually 56% during that stretch in 49 games. For comparison, Kobe averaged 29.8 ppg, 5.7 rpg and 5.4 apg on 57 TS% from '06-'10, so he's still better, and while Kobe faced some subpar defenses during this time, outside of the '93 Sonics, Kobe faced the toughest defenses during this time in the '08 and '10 Celtics, '08 Spurs and '09 Magic, while Malone's series from '88-'91 were almost exclusively running teams with the '89 Warriors being the series I'd say was really inflated, though fortunately, that's only 3 games, but in general, I definitely think facing those up-tempo teams from '88-'91 benefited Malone.

With that said, Kobe still scored more on better efficiency during these times and in 30 more games. Plus, I'm not the one even bringing up '06-'10 Kobe. I consider '03-'09 to be Kobe's prime.

And I definitely don't buy '88-'93 as Malone's prime over '94-'98. Of course, I pretty much think of Malone's prime as being from either '89 or '90 until around 2000 despite him essentially being a different player early in that stretch than he was from the mid 90's on.

But if you're going to bring up late 80's/early 90's Malone as his best, you can't mention his defense as much because that version of Malone wasn't as good defensively, and you have to acknowledge that Malone wasn't a particularly good passer yet, plus, he wasn't as good of a shooter. But hey, if you think that was the best version of Malone.

So what are we left with:
- Karl's better on O in the regular season, and is comparably good in the playoffs (depends a little on which numbers you're using, peak to peak, career, cherry picked 5 year samples, etc)
- Karl is massively more impactful on D, regular season and playoffs.
- Karl has much more longevity
- Karl has none of Kobe's negatives
Looking at all that, I don't see what Kobe's argument is.

Kobe was a flat out better offensive player, and clearly the superior playoff performer. No question about and Malone wasn't "massively more impactful" defensively in the playoffs.

Malone might not have the negatives(which have been way overblown in this thread anyway), but at least Kobe's game didn't struggle to translate to the playoffs, and nobody was saying Kobe didn't deliver in the playoffs.

Don't fully agree, but to the extent I do I think it's problematic that Kobe fans are asserting a much longer prime on the one hand, and then trying to reduce the sample to 06-10 on the other, especially when his good defensive period was long over by 06.

I agree to some extent about the defensive thing since you're right that Kobe was at his absolute best defensively before he was in his prime, at least on a consistent basis. But Kobe did tend to play much better defense in the playoffs than regular season during that period, and his '08 season was good defensively.

Let's take Kobe's 2001 playoffs. He put up 29-7-6 on 55TS%, some of which was against porous D, and with Shaq there to take defensive attention away from him. You claim that was better than any playoffs Karl had, yet in 1992 Karl Malone had 29-11-3 on a 61TS% Karl played 16 games that playoffs too, so you can't claim small sample size, and of course Karl's D was much more impactful (even over 2001 Kobe, who was a great perimeter defender). Certainly there doesn't seem to be any clear advantage to Kobe.

Considering how great Kobe's playmaking was(while '92 Malone was nothing special as a passer), and how good of a job he did getting such a high volume of points in the flow of the offense after taking care of his facilitating, I'd definitely take '01 playoff Kobe over Malone offensively, and other than stripping guys in the post, Malone wasn't really that special defensively in '92, I definitely wouldn't say he made a much bigger impact defensively than '01 Kobe, if at all. Plus, Kobe's rebounding was outstanding for a guard in '01, especially playing on a team with a center getting over 15 per game himself.

Aside from the fact that I'd take Kobe's '01 run over Malone's admittedly impressive '92 run, keep in mind that Kobe has 3 other runs that were at least comparable if not better from '08-'10. Malone on the otherhand, never really came close to his '92 run any other year.

But let's take a step back, and this sort of argument reveals just how flimsy the pro-Kobe argument is. We're excluding all the regular season, defensive impact, longevity and intangibles, just to find something Kobe might have an advantage in.

As I said, longevity only makes a difference to me if the players are very close to begin with. I don't consider that to be the case.

semi-sentient wrote:But that's not really the case in the 2001 playoffs.

Kobe looked like the best player at times because Phil reached an agreement with both Shaq and Kobe on how they would play in the post-season. The plan was to let Kobe dominate the offense on the road while Shaq became the man at home. You can't argue with the results either. The Lakers were devastating regardless of who the offense ran through. It really didn't matter who ate first; the results were the same either way.

That wasn't so much a set thing as how it worked out. Phil mentioned that the plan was to start off with the offense running through Shaq and if he was getting doubled, or ineffective, they'd switch it up and feature Kobe more as the game went on/particularly in the second half. In the case of the Kings series, the series started off in LA because they had HCA advantage, and Shaq started the series with back to back 40/20 games and after each one, the Kings focus was sending harder, quicker doubles, which they finally did with some success in game 3, the first road game for LA in the series when Kobe started to go off that series.
Baller2014
Banned User

Post#274 » by Baller2014 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:49 am

trex_8063 wrote:Nope. You can take '01 thru '04 out of the picture and Malone's prime playoff TS% (or career thru '00) is still .532 (which is a larger gap than just .009 if we consider relative to the league avg).

Sure, I don't mind being wrong on this. I don't see how me being off by (at most) 0.9% changes my argument. The point is that Karl Malone's TS% has been artificially lowered by his final years, and the actual number is better than it looks. I said Karl and Kobe would have more comparable TS%. for the playoffs if we excluded his latter years, and I'm right.

As I noted, I actually only guesstimated Karl's 88-93 TS% because I can't be bothered working it out right now. If you want to post that here too, feel free. I know infamous won't (EDIT: NM, Shaqattack did it).
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#275 » by trex_8063 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:52 am

therealbig3 wrote:Maybe I'm being too harsh...but I don't even have Walton in my top 100. I just don't see how ONE healthy, prime season (and barely healthy at that, he still missed 17 games, and based on how the rest of his career went...him playing in the playoffs was more luck than anything else, because his body could have just as easily broken down by the time the playoffs rolled around) is enough to crack the top 100. It's not like he had a Shaq-level peak either...I'd take Duncan and Garnett over Walton as far as peak goes.

Walton makes my top 12 or so peaks of all time...but that's the only year of value to his career, outside of like literally 2 other seasons where he was a role player (85 Clippers, 86 Celtics).

Not top 100 material imo.

I don't rate him near as high as he often seems to get credit for either (for the same reasons). Yes, he peaked pretty high, but it really just a flash in the pan (~1.5 seasons), and he otherwise fell off a cliff. Otherwise only had what amounted to (with missed games) about 2-2.5 seasons as a good and relevant role player.

I have him in my top 100, but definitively OUTSIDE the top 80.

semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#276 » by semi-sentient » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:04 am

Ballers2014 wrote:And yet Kobe's vaunted 2001 playoffs, much of it against weak opposition and with Shaq there to take the defensive heat off, still looks worse than Karl Malone's 1992 playoffs.

The Lakers didn't face a single weak team that year, so I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "weak opposition". All 4 teams faced were top 10 defensively (#9, #7, #1, #5), and 3 of them were top 10 offensively (#7, #9, #6). In terms of SRS their opponents were #1, #2, #5, and #7. That's the exact opposite of weak opposition, on either end of the floor. Let's not forget that Kobe played spectacular defense in the playoffs as well.

If you're talking about his match-up defensively, then I'd remind you that Christie was an outstanding wing defender. He was quick and long which is exactly the type of defender you want on Kobe. The Blazers weren't too shabby with (physical) Pippen matching up on Kobe either. There isn't a significant difference between Anderson and Daniels, at least defensively, and given what Kobe did to the Spurs in the RS it would have hardly mattered who they had on him. The Sixers had solid perimeter defense, although they did have some injury issues as well. All 4 teams had solid FC defense.

I also find it odd that you are taking credit away from Kobe for having Shaq draw away defenders while not also knocking Malone for having one of the best play-makers in history setting him up. You're also ignoring Kobe's ability to create shots for others and run the offense, so outside of pure scoring he does have other advantages.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
ShaqAttack3234
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#277 » by ShaqAttack3234 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:11 am

semi-sentient wrote:If you're talking about his match-up defensively, then I'd remind you that Christie was an outstanding wing defender. He was quick and long which is exactly the type of defender you want on Kobe. The Blazers weren't too shabby with (physical) Pippen matching up on Kobe either. There isn't a significant difference between Anderson and Daniels, at least defensively, and given what Kobe did to the Spurs in the RS it would have hardly mattered who they had on him. The Sixers had solid perimeter defense, although they did have some injury issues as well. All 4 teams had solid FC defense.

I also find it odd that you are taking credit away from Kobe for having Shaq draw away defenders while not also knocking Malone for having one of the best play-makers in history setting him up. You're also ignoring Kobe's ability to create shots for others and run the offense, so outside of pure scoring he does have other advantages.

And lets not forget the excellent perimeter defenders Philly threw at Kobe with Aaron McKie and Eric Snow.
Baller2014
Banned User

Post#278 » by Baller2014 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:12 am

ShaqAttack3234 wrote:Again, I covered this. Kobe wasn't even near prime level before 2001, injured in 2004 and didn't even make the playoffs in 2005 so this is a truly ridiculous way to compare.

What do you mean outside of that 5 year stretch? That 5 year stretch was Kobe at his best. How most will remember Kobe when they think back to what kind of a player he was. Taking away a player's best years is ridiculous.

Good to get some agreement prior to this point. As for this one, I don't mind your position so much, because you're basically taking away a large chunk of Kobe's prime and saying "well, he wasn't really up to snuff that year". That's a reasonable argument to make, but I want to point out it is not the argument Kobe's defenders are generally making here. They are contending he has a much longer prime, and a much longer collection of comparable years.

I didn't do any cherry-picking, but moving on, Malone's TS% is actually 56% during that stretch in 49 games. For comparison, Kobe averaged 29.8 ppg, 5.7 rpg and 5.4 apg on 57 TS% from '06-'10, so he's still better, and while Kobe faced some subpar defenses during this time, outside of the '93 Sonics, Kobe faced the toughest defenses during this time in the '08 and '10 Celtics, '08 Spurs and '09 Magic, while Malone's series from '88-'91 were almost exclusively running teams with the '89 Warriors being the series I'd say was really inflated, though fortunately, that's only 3 games, but in general, I definitely think facing those up-tempo teams from '88-'91 benefited Malone.

And having Shaq, facing mostly weak teams, not trying as much on D, and having the rules changed all helped Kobe as well.

Just to step back from that, I don't see how Kobe was better in the playoffs even during his cherry picked stretch of 06-10. Like you say, he was putting up:
29.8ppg, 5.7rpg, 5.4apg on 57% TS% over a 5 year stretch
Karl Malone was putting up:
28.5ppg, 11.9rpg, 2.3apg on 56 TS% over a 6 year stretch, during which he had a significantly higher defensive impact, and none of Kobe's negative intangibles. So even this comparison of peak to peak, in the playoffs only, doesn't look to favour Kobe at all.

Kobe was a flat out better offensive player, and clearly the superior playoff performer. No question about it

Except even comparing Kobe's best stretch, as identified by infamous, he still looks worse than Karl from 88-93. Then factor in all the other stuff and it's clearly Karl Malone ahead; he has the advantage in regular season O, regular season and playoff D, longevity and intangibles. Even his playoff offensive disadvantage looks slight (see above stats). You calling the 88 playoff performances of Karl Malone as showing "horrible mediocre efficiency" at 482 FG% and 537 TS% just seems weird given how Kobe has only one playoffs in his career with more than 482FG% and his career playoff TS% is 541 (and the selected sample sizes, such as those done above, don't really show much of an advantage for Kobe either).

Malone might not have the negatives(which have been way overblown in this thread anyway), but at least Kobe's game didn't struggle to translate to the playoffs, and nobody was saying Kobe didn't deliver in the playoffs.

You're right, Kobe has "media narrative" over Karl. Not so much in the accolades respect, because Karl has the same number of all-nba 1st teams and 1 extra MVP, but I guess I did miss this criteria... I guess if dubious media narratives are something voters want to factor in, then they should think about this. I keep wondering why Jordanbulls didn't give Karl more narrative points for helping to lead a historically bad franchise, maybe he didn't have a good enough record with HCA...

Considering how great Kobe's playmaking was(while '92 Malone was nothing special as a passer), and how good of a job he did getting such a high volume of points in the flow of the offense after taking care of his facilitating, I'd definitely take '01 playoff Kobe over Malone offensively, and other than stripping guys in the post, Malone wasn't really that special defensively in '92, I definitely wouldn't say he made a much bigger impact defensively than '01 Kobe, if at all. Plus, Kobe's rebounding was outstanding for a guard in '01, especially playing on a team with a center getting over 15 per game himself.

Aside from the fact that I'd take Kobe's '01 run over Malone's admittedly impressive '92 run, keep in mind that Kobe has 3 other runs that were at least comparable if not better from '08-'10. Malone on the otherhand, never really came close to his '92 run any other year.

I think the stats and performance speak for themselves, Karl Malone's 92 run was clearly more impressive than what Kobe did in 2001. I also totally reject the idea their defensive impact this year was comparable. Nor is it really true Karl never had a comparable year to 92. His 89, 95 and 00 runs all look comparably good in terms of overall performance (not as good, but certainly "close"). I also think you're really sleeping on some of his other years, like 88, where his TS% was "only" as good as Kobe's career playoff TS%.

As I said, longevity only makes a difference to me if the players are very close to begin with. I don't consider that to be the case.

Assumedly you'll be voting for Bill Walton soon then.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#279 » by trex_8063 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:13 am

semi-sentient wrote:
Ballers2014 wrote:And yet Kobe's vaunted 2001 playoffs, much of it against weak opposition and with Shaq there to take the defensive heat off, still looks worse than Karl Malone's 1992 playoffs.

The Lakers didn't face a single weak team that year, so I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "weak opposition". All 4 teams faced were top 10 defensively (#9, #7, #1, #5), and 3 of them were top 10 offensively (#7, #9, #6). In terms of SRS their opponents were #1, #2, #5, and #7. That's the exact opposite of weak opposition, on either end of the floor. Let's not forget that Kobe played spectacular defense in the playoffs as well.

If you're talking about his match-up defensively, then I'd remind you that Christie was an outstanding wing defender. He was quick and long which is exactly the type of defender you want on Kobe. The Blazers weren't too shabby with (physical) Pippen matching up on Kobe either. There isn't a significant difference between Anderson and Daniels, at least defensively, and given what Kobe did to the Spurs in the RS it would have hardly mattered who they had on him. The Sixers had solid perimeter defense, although they did have some injury issues as well. All 4 teams had solid FC defense.

Cue the "yeah, and look how much worse Kobe played against Kings" argument.....despite the fact that Kobe went for 35/9/4 on I think marginally better TS% in this series than he did against SA, iirc.
Already had the "debate" with Baller about that one; he posted the marginally worse FG/3pt%, omitting that Kobe was also getting nearly 15! FT attempts per game in this series.

I only post this for anyone else reading. Baller ain't gonna hear it.

therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,103

Post#280 » by therealbig3 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:16 am

TBH, Baller2014 is doing a great job of making me want to vote for Kobe. Some of these criticisms are just so off imo.

Return to Player Comparisons