And1: 1,099

Re: RealGM Top 100 List #34 

Post#41 » by Warspite » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:54 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
Warspite wrote:Vote Isiah Thomas

12x all star
3x 1st team NBA (twice over MJ)

Winning playoff record vs Magic, MJ and Bird

One of the most historic winners in the history of the game. The greatest little man to ever play. Invented most of the offenses used today ( ex pick and pop).

Could you expand on that a bit? That's the first time I've seen that type of comment made about him.
Co

Doug Collins and Bill Simmons talked about it with Isiah in the Grantland special after the 30/30 doc. Yes teams used pick and pop before but the Pistons used different angles to adjust to the way defenses were playing. Ill keep looking for the clip.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#42 » by Laimbeer » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:48 pm

Warspite wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:
Warspite wrote:Vote Isiah Thomas

12x all star
3x 1st team NBA (twice over MJ)

Winning playoff record vs Magic, MJ and Bird

One of the most historic winners in the history of the game. The greatest little man to ever play. Invented most of the offenses used today ( ex pick and pop).

Could you expand on that a bit? That's the first time I've seen that type of comment made about him.
Co

Doug Collins and Bill Simmons talked about it with Isiah in the Grantland special after the 30/30 doc. Yes teams used pick and pop before but the Pistons used different angles to adjust to the way defenses were playing. Ill keep looking for the clip.

Ah I do recall that.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,491

Post#43 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:37 pm

Vote: Jason Kidd

Continuing with my voting for Kidd. Of the guys I'm seeing mentioned here, he's definitely my choice.

vs Payton. In general, when we're talking point guards, I'm going to side with the guy who's truly an elite floor general. Kidd is, Payton's not. Payton obviously has the advantage in scoring, and frankly that might be enough to make him deserve the edge, but I'm not convinced of that at this point. In the end what I tend to fixate on is just how nice Kidd continued to be as a player deep into old age because of his brain, while Payton got exposed once he played in an offense where he actually had to think about things more in L.A. (and he had studied so little, that he had no real understanding of what he'd be doing in the triangle offense until after he signed to go there).

vs Isiah. Yeah, I'm just not an Isiah believer. He was a great player, but I just don't think that the accolades of the data underrated him. If you actually look at him based on MVP voting, advanced stats, and longevity, he's just not up there with some of the guys still left.

vs Durant. Yeah, just longevity.

Other than those guys, Reggie Miller and Artis Gilmore remain the one's on my mind.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#44 » by Quotatious » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:20 pm

Results so far:

Gary Payton (2) - penbeast0, SactoKingsFan
Kevin Durant (3) - RSCD3_, DQuinn1575, batmana
Jason Kidd (3) - trex_8063, Quotatious, Doctor MJ
Isiah Thomas (1) - Warspite

Also, Chuck is probably going to vote for Kidd (am I right?)
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,834

Post#45 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:50 pm

Quotatious wrote:
Also, Chuck is probably going to vote for Kidd (am I right?)

I probably will, but am waiting to see if there is some convincing arguments for Payton over him. I already know Im not considering Zeke or Durant ahead of Kidd, but with Payton maybe someone has some insight I don't that could elevate him imo. I have another full day, correct?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,201

Post#46 » by tsherkin » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:25 am

I will vote for Kevin Durant.

On phone, so brief. Accolades/achievements match/exceed mostcremaining, fantastic player. Longevity not an issue for me with him and I think he's enough better than guys lije Isuah/Kidd/Payton to vote in. Thought he was a lot better than Baylor, too.
drza
Analyst
And1: 1,852

Post#47 » by drza » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:42 am

Since the comp is still directly relevant, I'm going to re-post my Kidd vs Payton post I made a few threads back.

Jason Kidd vs Gary Payton

Stylistics

This is another fun comp, between two Bay Area local legends. To me, this comparison is largely about their differences in styles. Both were excellent at what they did, but they often used similar tools to do very different things, with similar goals. Both are big for point guards, on the order of 6-3 or 6-4. Both are tenacious defensive players, two of the best that we've seen at the position. Both lacked the shooting range of many of their contemporaries, but both were still strong offensive players.

Despite all these similarities, their approaches were often almost diametric opposites. In a simplistic sense, on both offense and defense I see Payton as the better 1-on-1 player but Kidd as the better team player.

Offense
On offense, Payton was more of a scorer than Kidd. He owned his lack of shooting range, and adapted with a game that used his size and physicality to produce good looks from mid-range and in. He was an excellent post-up player for a point guard, able to get the shot that he wanted over the (almost always) smaller guard defending him. He also was good at getting a step and finishing from the paint or with a reasonable mid-range shot out to about 18 feet. As a point guard, Payton had good vision and was able to run the show off the dribble out front or with his back to the basket. He was a good floor general with good passing ability, but to me he never exhibited the type of pure point guard flare of the Magic/Stockton/Kidd/Nash type PGs. He was definitely a scorer as well as a floor general, and it was the combo of the two that made him great.

Kidd, on the other hand, wasn't a very good one on one scorer. His set-shot jumper eventually got better, but he was never a good scorer off the dribble. But he was a brilliant floor general with outstanding passing skills. As such, when he was probing a defense off the dribble, he was almost always looking to set up a teammate before his own shot. He would call his own number enough to average in the teens (sometimes upper teens), but his scoring efficiency/volume was never his strong point. No, his strong point was that on his teams all of his teammates tended to maximize their production. That's why, in the vs. Nash and vs. Paul comps I've done in recent threads, we see Kidd with a consistently strong offensive RAPM despite the fact that his box score offensive numbers would argue that he should be weaker.

Way back when we were comparing Larry Bird and Hakeem Olajuwon I broached the concept of "team offense" as the analogy to the accepted "team defense" term. I argued that Bird's individual scoring efficiency issues in some of his early playoffs were way overblown and that he was still having mega offensive impact in those situations because with his passing and floor generalship he was providing excellent team offense independent of his 1-on-1 scoring. I made a similar argument for KG. Similar for Scottie Pippen (though under a different name, as I think we just called it a "point guard effect" or something like that). But the point is, I think that this "team offense" thing has some meat to it, and that it's a particular strength of Kidd's that doesn't show up in the box scores...but does show up in the +/- stats.

Defense
The defense seems to mirror the offense, with these two players. Payton's nickname was "The Glove", and it mirrored his on-court persona. He was aggressive, strong, and would climb into his opponent's shorts to keep him from getting to the rim. Trying to drive on or score against Payton was famously difficult, with all manner of players (including Jordan) weighing in on it through the years. Plus, Payton's penchant for trash-talking and mind games often worked to his advantage on defense as he could frankly tick his opponents off and have them make mistakes.

Kidd, on the other hand, was again more of a team defender. Which is really strange, because that's not often something you see at point guard. But Kidd played defense more like a forward than a guard. He was a solid 1-on-1 defender, especially against big guards, but he wasn't who you would think of as a "stopper" to put on the opponents point guard to take him out of the game. And as Kidd got older, some of the lightening bug quick PGs could give him some trouble 1-on-1. But Kidd was very strong (for a PG) at help defense, with quick/smart rotations and the size/physicality to switch onto bigger wings and forwards and give them difficulties. Then, at the end of the possession, Kidd was an absurdly strong rebounder for his position...again, more like a big forward than a point guard.

The impact stats

Usually when I'm doing these types of comps I list box score stats, but I didn't here (more for reasons of convenience due to me sneaking to write this from work, but also because I don't know how much bearing it has for my analysis). If you want to see them, it's a quick B-R search away, but I think most of us know the cliff notes version: Payton was the better scorer by both volume and efficiency, while Kidd was the better distributor by both volume and efficiency and also the better rebounder. We could have gathered most of that from the stylistic comparison above, though. The more important question to me, then, is how did these different styles and approaches change how much Payton and/or Kidd were able to impact the games.

RAPM: 1998 and after

For the 1998 season Payton was 29 year old, in his 8th season. He would make the All-NBA and All-Defensive teams every year from '98 thru 2002 (two 1st team All NBA, five 1st team All Defensive nods). He also set his career bests in PER and Win Shares/48 in both the regular season and postseason during this time window. So this period definitely captures a good chunk of what would be considered Payton's prime, as well as some of his peak.

Kidd was a handful of years younger than Payton. So if we want to compare apples-to-apples as much as possible, I'll only consider Kidd's RAPM scores from his 8th season and after for this comp. Because Doc MJ normalized in his spreadsheet, we can compare RAPM scores from different years on essentially the same scale. So, let's do it.

3-year peaks:
Payton (1998 - 2000): +7.5, +4.5, +8.1, avg. +6.7
Kidd ( 2002, 03, 05): +7.3, +7.0, +7.3, avg +7.2

It's hard to draw very much from this, outside of that their impacts in these time windows looked pretty similar. So, let's separate this into offense and defense for closer looks.

3-year peak, ORAPM:
Payton (1998 - 2000): +6.2, +4.7, +6.8, avg. +5.9
Kidd ( 2002, 03, 05): +4.6, +4.2, +4.6, avg. +4.5

3-year peak, DRAPM:
Payton (1998 - 2000): +1.3, -0.2, +1.3, avg +0.8
Kidd ( 2002, 03, 05): +2.6, +2.9, +2.8, avg +2.8

I purposefully took the values from the years where their overall RAPM peaked, and didn't mix and match offensive and defensive peaks from different years, because I wanted to see how their impacts were distributed in their best years (e.g. Kidd, in particular, had better defensive values to pick from during his time in Dallas).

What jumps out at me right away is that Kidd's DEFENSIVE impact seemed to be noticeably higher than Payton's. That is a somewhat surprising finding, since so much of Payton's reputation comes from being the Glove on defense. But these results would argue that, at least in this portion of their careeers, Kidd's more team-defense approach had a bigger impact on his team's results than Payton's 1-on-1 brilliance.

The other thing that jumps out is that Payton was extremely strong on offense. Payton's 3-year offensive peak of +5.9 is 18th best from 1998 - 2012, and not far off from what we saw from Chris Paul's offensive peak according to ORAPM (+6.2 3-year avg.).

Longevity

I had planned to delve into the new on/off +/- data from 1994 - 1996 to give some estimates into what Payton was providing in his earlier prime, but I'm just flat out of time and my bosses are over my shoulder. But from memory, I don't believe that Payton was overly impressive in those studies (in fact, I think in one of them his on/off was dramatically negative in a weird effect that had folks looking into the Sonics' rotations for explanations).

But one thing that shows up in the later RAPM studies is that Payton's game didn't seem to age nearly as well as Kidd's. We looked at him from 1998 - 2000, then we don't have RAPM data for 2001. But from 2002 until he retired, Payton only had three more positive RAPM scores (peaked at +2.8 in 2003), with three negative scores as well. Meanwhile,Kidd was still posting an average +5.1 RAPM through his first three years in Dallas, and was about +2 even in 2011 and 2012 when he was on his way out the door. Kidd's defense weathered beautifully, especially as he took on more big-guard defense in Dallas, and his mix of part-time general + spot-up-shooter was a positive all the way up until 2012 (when he was essentially neutral). As such, Kidd's time as an impact player continued long after Payton's and gives him a legitimate advantage in longevity.

Bottom line

Kidd and Payton was every bit as fun of a comp as I expected. Payton, with his efficient scoring and still good floor generalship, peaked a bit higher than Kidd on offense (on the order of Chris Paul in terms of impact, from the information we have...side note, it's very interesting that RAPM sees peak Paul and Payton as similar on offense, but with PAUL as the higher impact defender). I didn't get to spend much time on Payton pre-98, so if anyone thinks that time period really changes his story I'd be interested in seeing more of that.

Kidd and Payton, in the years that we have available, peaked with very similar overall impact as measured by RAPM. Kidd's offense still measures (a lot) stronger than his scoring efficiency suggests, but on top of that he showed a marked defensive advantage over Payton. Also, Kidd's ability to adapt his game with age (less offensive primacy, more defensive and spot-up focused) allowed him to remain a high-impact player well into his mid/late 30s, during a time when Payton was consistently showing up as negative. Payton seemingly needed to be ball-dominant on offense to maintain his offensive impact, and his defense (at least from '98 on) never had the type of impact we may have expected (well short of what we saw from Kidd).

All in all, I'd say that I'm more impressed with Kidd's entire body of work. But as expected, they make quite the comparison.
Creator of the Hoops Lab: tinyurl.com/mpo2brj
Contributor to NylonCalculusDOTcom
Contributor to TYTSports: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTbFEVCpx9shKEsZl7FcRHzpGO1dPoimk
Follow on Twitter: @ProfessorDrz
drza
Analyst
And1: 1,852

Post#48 » by drza » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:53 am

Thoughts on Kidd vs Durant

I've flirted with making this a full-on comp...and I still might if this post evolves into that...but Kidd and Durant are such different players that I'm not quite sure how to structure it. The positive is that since both are ultra modern players we've all seen them both play a lot, and we also have full databall era data on both. And on the surface, I feel like this comp breaks down fairly cleanly across all of the different levels of analysis.

Eye test, I think Durant wins handily. I remember an old Sports Guy column comparing Durant and Oden, and in it he talked about how ridiculously smooth and athletic Durant looks in all that he does. He's a few fingers short of 7-feet but so coordinated that his game resembles more a tall SG than anything else. He's the closest thing to an unstoppable scorer that we've seen in a while, putting excellent volume at absurd efficiency that's clearly visible while watching...and this is the aspect of the game that is most visually appealing and easily memorable. Kidd wasn't the physical marvel that Durant was, at least to the naked eye. He was big for a point guard, both height and strength, and he had a jerky energy that was visible. But he wasn't a physical freak like Durant is. And Kidd's game at his peak was extremely unique...the rebounding, the ball-handling that was always controlled but on the break could look like it was slightly in fast forward, and the in-your-face defense...but it wasn't what you'd call aesthetically pleasing. His scoring prowess was essentially the exact opposite of Durant, and again this is often the aspect of the game that gets the most weight in the eye test. So if that's your method of choice, I think Durant wins.

Box Scores. Once again, Durant tends to come out on top fairly easily. And once again, scoring and scoring efficiency are clearly at the fore-front of why. Let's look at the per-100 numbers for both Durant and Kidd in their best seasons to date:

Durant '14: 41.8 pts (64% TS), 9.6 reb, 7.2 asts, 1.7 stl, 1.0 blk, 4.6 TO, 29.8 PER, 19.2 WS
Kidd 2002: 20.7 pts (48% TS), 10.2 reb, 13.8 ast, 3.0 stl, 0.3 blk, 4.9 TO, 19.1 PER, 8.9 WS

Much like comparing peak Chris Paul to peak Isiah Thomas, win shares would have you believe that one Durant season is worth more than double what Kidd provided. I reiterate, that the both the box scores themselves and the "advanced" box score stats are dominated by scoring. Did you know that if you look at the regular box score stats on basketball-reference, there are 13 categories associated with scoring (including the first 12 categories listed after minutes played) but only 7 categories for essentially "everything else" before personal fouls. Similarly, as I've pointed out before, any box score based composite stat is going to be heavily influenced by scoring efficiency and/or scoring volume with the possible exception of Wins Produced, which tends to get no respect both for reasons of methodology as well as the unpopularity of the stat's inventor.

Anyway, my point is that while Durant scores a very clear TKO in both of the above methods, I'd argue that if you look into the TKO all it's saying is that Durant is a WAY better scorer...he scores a LOT more on a LOT higher efficiency. That is utterly obvious and not even really worth discussion. But my question that I always ask, is, does that scoring prowess translate into impact large enough to dwarf the other aspects of the game? And note that I said "scoring prowess" and not "offense", because they are in fact very different. Steve Nash's OFFENSE was strong enough that he was able to overcome fairly weak defense to be a monster game-changer. Dirk Nowitzki's OFFENSE is so strong that even with a small positive impact on defense he was able to put his name in the hat as one of the best players of his generation. But offense goes beyond just scoring. Of course, Durant has shown an increasing proclivity to passing, as well, so let's move on to the impact stats and see how his offense moves the needle for his team.

Durant's offensive impact OK, so in Doc MJ's much cited normalized PI RAPM spreadsheet from 1998 - 2012, the top names in offensive RAPM are mainly the usual suspects. If you go by 3-year peaks, from the top, you see these names in the top 10:

Steve Nash
LeBron James
Dwyane Wade
Shaquille O'Neal
Manu Ginobili
Kobe Bryant
Charles Barkley
Dirk Nowitzki
Karl Malone
Baron Davis

It's an eclectic group as far as styles go...they make their impacts in a lot of different ways. These are also a group that contains a consensus of many of the best players of this generation. 8 of the 10 folks on this list are already voted in, with Manu (uniqueness of his situation as a career borderline 6th man) and Baron as the only ones not to come up yet. If you go beyond 10 you'll see other names that have already been mentioned in the project...Reggie Miller is 12th, Chris Paul 14th, Kevin Garnett 15th, Gary Payton 18th, Tim Duncan 21st. Kevin Durant checks in at 33rd...3 slots behind #30 on the list, Jason Kidd.

Now granted, this list stops at 2012 and Durant's best season and MVP came in 2014. Doc MJ hasn't added the newest seasons yet, but there are other sources of RAPM out there. According to GotBuckets' site, in 2013 Durant was 7th in the NBA in offensive RAPM, behind LeBron, Paul, James Harden, Nash, Dirk, and Wade. In 2014 Durant was 4th in offensive RAPM, behind only LeBron, Harden and Paul. So, as you'd have expected, Durant's offensive impact continues to be strong and to improve as he reaches his peak. But even to date, he still hasn't had an offensive RAPM score anywhere near what one might expect based upon his off-the-chain boxscore stats. Why might that be?

Well, remember that RAPM isn't a measure of goodness. It's a measure of how much a player's presence correlated with the team's scoring margin. So one potential factor is that the Thunder have another offensive engine in Russell Westbrook that has a lot of primacy in their attack, and maybe that keeps Durant from having the individual impact that he could. After seeing Durant detonate this season while Westrbook was out, I can see some merit in that argument. But LeBron was playing with Wade (and in 2013 Wade was ahead of Durant while playing with LeBron)...Dirk was still putting up monster +/- seasons playing with Nash...Paul is ahead while ceding scoring primacy with Blake Griffin. So I don't think having just the high usage teammate is enough to explain why Durant's +/- scores don't seem equivalent with his boxscore scores.

One trend that I've noted and come back to a few times in this project is the idea of "help offense" as an analog to "help defense". And just like "help defense" tends to have more impact than man defense, I'd argue that help offense is also extremely important in determining a player's offensive impact. If we go back to that top-10 list of ORAPM scorers above, we see a bunch of different types of offensive players. But all were big in the areas that I note seem to make up strong help offense. Nash, LeBron, Wade, Manu, Kobe and Baron are all primary perimeter options that have strong aspects of floor generalship in their games. Shaq, Karl and Barkley were all bigs that drew massive defensive attention, attacked/pulled help from the most important defenders on the opposition (their bigs), and were also excellent passers as well, again as big men. Then there's Dirk, who may be the closest of that group to Durant stylistically, but again he was warping defenses by pulling BIG MEN out of position to defend and creating spacing in that way.

Durant could score (volume/efficiency) with any of those guys, better than most of them. But he wasn't the creator from the wing that the perimeter players were...he isn't yet on their levels as creators and/or passers. And he's been playing mainly the 3, which means that while he draws a lot of attention it's mainly from opposing wings, not opposing bigs. As such, he wasn't providing the caliber of defensive warping or spacing that the big men on that list were providing. I'd argue that this, even more than Russell Westbrook, is why we see Durant putting up excellent offensive RAPM scores but not historic ones. He's maybe the best individual scoring threat that we've seen this generation, but he hasn't yet added the "help offense" component that will take his offensive impact to the level that his box scores suggest that he should be at. I think he should get there, and maybe soon...I envision him ultimately playing a lot more 4, really helping his spacing impact. And he's already been improving as a passer, which means he should improve on what he showed this season when Westbrook was out. But importantly, he's not that player YET.

Overall impact stats

RAPM: As you might expect, based upon the previous section, Kidd's overall RAPM scores to date look similar/better than Durant's. Through 2012, Kidd had 5 RAPM scores higher than Durant's best score, but not dramatically (e.g. Kidd's 5-year RAPM average was +6.9, while Durant's 3-year average was +5.5. Using DocMJ's standard deviation method on GotBucket's 2013 and 2014 RAPM results, Durant's 2013 score was still lower than Kidd's top 5 scores as well, But Durant's 2014 was right in line with what we saw from Kidd at his best (right around his 2nd or 3rd best season). So all told, a 5-year RAPM comp between Kidd and Durant would be close at this point, but with a slight edge to Kidd.

Playoff +/-. For those that give any credence to postseason +/- scores given the limitations of the technique, Kidd pretty clearly outpaces Durant here.

Kidd 01 - 13: +10.2 net on/off in playoffs
Kidd 02 - 08: +10.2 net on/off in playoffs (the Jersey years)
Durant 10 - 14: +4.8 net on/off in playoffs

As I said. If you believe playoff +/- means anything, Kidd gets the clear win here.

Bottom Line:

What do you now. As I kept typing, this became a full fledged Durant vs Kidd comp after all. Essentially, I think where you stand in this comp comes down to 2 things: Do you believe that the +/- stats do a good job of capturing impact, and does longevity matter at all to you? If the answers to the previous two questions are 'no' or some variation thereof, then likely Durant is higher than Kidd on your list. If the answer to the above two questions is 'yes', then Kidd vs Durant at their peaks is pretty close and Kidd has done it for way longer. I happen to be in the latter camp, so to me, this isn't a particularly difficult vote:

Vote: Jason Kidd
Creator of the Hoops Lab: tinyurl.com/mpo2brj
Contributor to NylonCalculusDOTcom
Contributor to TYTSports: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTbFEVCpx9shKEsZl7FcRHzpGO1dPoimk
Follow on Twitter: @ProfessorDrz
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#49 » by ronnymac2 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:50 am

Vote: Isiah Thomas

Because why quit now?

24-10 in the playoffs at his peak over a fairly large sample size. Puts pressure on a defense with his creativity, ball-handling, and aggression. Solid longevity. Take the good with the bad when he's your point guard. There is a lot of good though.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
The Infamous1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,024

Post#50 » by The Infamous1 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:39 am

Using then lakers year against payton is stupid because he was washed up at that point
We can get paper longer than Pippens arms
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#51 » by penbeast0 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:46 pm

So, the voting for Kidd isn't just about RAPM, it's because of his extraordinary passing genius that made his offenses outstanding despite his not being a liability shooting himself. For Steve Nash, this argument worked. His offenses in Phoenix were superb. So, let's look at Payton v. Kidd. For Payton, I didn't use his first 3 years (before he started taking a scoring role) or his post-Seattle years in Milwaukee and LA; for Kidd, I didn't use his Dallas years (the early ones that team was disfunctional and selfish -- not Kidd's fault, the later years, that was Dirk's team, not Kidd's).

TEAM ORTG v. LEAGUE

Payton
1995 2/27
1996 8/29
1997 3/29
1998 3/29
1990 6/29
2000 9/29
2001 10/29
2002 5/29

Kidd

1998 (PHO) 12/29
1999 4/29
2000 16/29
2001 22/29
2002 (NJ) 17/29
2003 18/29
2004 25/29
2005 26/30
2006 25/30
2007 16/30

What do we see? Payton's offenses were always well above average through his prime and about half the time top 5 in the league. Kidd's offenses in both Phoenix and even more in New Jersey . . . well, except for 1999, they were consistently in the bottom half of the league with half of his New Jersey teams being among the bottom 5 in offensive efficiency. This is not what you expect of the "offensive genius" narrative; it is what you expect of the "such a poor shooter that teams sagged off him and he couldn't make them pay in the half court offense" narrative.

I don't see the Jason Kidd is a great offensive player narrative. Fine defender, strong rebounder, classy player, BAD offensive player. Payton is the one who orchestrates good offenses.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Texas Chuck

Post#52 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:42 pm

penbeast0 wrote:So, the voting for Kidd isn't just about RAPM, it's because of his extraordinary passing genius that made his offenses outstanding despite his not being a liability shooting himself. For Steve Nash, this argument worked. His offenses in Phoenix were superb. So, let's look at Payton v. Kidd. For Payton, I didn't use his first 3 years (before he started taking a scoring role) or his post-Seattle years in Milwaukee and LA; for Kidd, I didn't use his Dallas years (the early ones that team was disfunctional and selfish -- not Kidd's fault, the later years, that was Dirk's team, not Kidd's).

TEAM ORTG v. LEAGUE

Payton
1995 2/27
1996 8/29
1997 3/29
1998 3/29
1990 6/29
2000 9/29
2001 10/29
2002 5/29

Kidd

1998 (PHO) 12/29
1999 4/29
2000 16/29
2001 22/29
2002 (NJ) 17/29
2003 18/29
2004 25/29
2005 26/30
2006 25/30
2007 16/30

What do we see? Payton's offenses were always well above average through his prime and about half the time top 5 in the league. Kidd's offenses in both Phoenix and even more in New Jersey . . . well, except for 1999, they were consistently in the bottom half of the league with half of his New Jersey teams being among the bottom 5 in offensive efficiency. This is not what you expect of the "offensive genius" narrative; it is what you expect of the "such a poor shooter that teams sagged off him and he couldn't make them pay in the half court offense" narrative.

I don't see the Jason Kidd is a great offensive player narrative. Fine defender, strong rebounder, classy player, BAD offensive player. Payton is the one who orchestrates good offenses.

But do you honestly think Kidd had the same level of offensive talent to work with in this time period that Payton did?

I said the same things when Nash was being compared with other PG's(mostly Stockton). why so much weight in a team accomplishment without at least accounting for the vast difference in offensive talent they played with? And can we ignore that his worst offenses came on Frank coached teams? An extremely defensive-focused coach. I don't think this data shows the vast gulf between the 2 that you think it does.

And I can't really believe you think Kidd is a BAD offensive player. BAD scorer? Sure. but BAD offensive player?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
penbeast0

Post#53 » by penbeast0 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:56 pm

Do you think the difference in offensive talent is THAT great so that you can say that Kidd is the superior floor general in terms of creating offense?

I don't think that Payton, or for that matter, Magic, West, Nash, Frazier, or even Isiah would have had that weak an offensive impact with those New Jersey teams. I do not think that Kidd in his pre-Dallas days was a good offensive player; his passing in the open court was often spectacular but his inability to hit a shot when defenses would game to leave him open for midrange hurt his team consistently. He makes up for it with very good defense (I am one of those who think that PG defense is very important) and GOAT PG rebounding but yes, I think he was overall a weak offensive player -- particularly compared to the likes of Gary Payton.

Let me ask you, given what you just quoted, do you agree that Kidd was, "a brilliant floor general with outstanding passing skills. ... on his teams all of his teammates tended to maximize their production. "
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Texas Chuck

Post#54 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:04 pm

I'm not arguing that Kidd is the superior offensive player. I am arguing that there is not a vast gulf between he and Payton.

And I can agree that all of those players would likely have had more offensive success on those teams because you know what almost all those teams needed(putting aside the Carter years for a second): a scorer. And all of those players are better scorers.

But that's really not Kidd's fault that his teams didn't have the scoring options they needed to maximize Kidd's skill set. Just like I think none of those guys could have matched what Kidd did his 2nd run in Dallas. You are essentially punishing Kidd for poor roster construction that he plays no part in.

As far as that quote, well I never said that so I'm not sure why I'm being asked to defend it. But I think he was a good floor general, a great passer, and I think his TEAMS benefited from him which is more important to me than whether or not individual teammates maximized their individual production offensively.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,201

Post#55 » by tsherkin » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:18 pm

Well, part of the difference is Kidd not maximizing production on his own scoring opportunities, whch Payton did comparatively well versus Kidd's general lack of utility as a scorer. This is an area independent of teammates.
Texas Chuck

Post#56 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:19 pm

tsherkin wrote:Well, part of the difference is Kidd not maximizing production on his own scoring opportunities, whch Payton did comparatively well versus Kidd's general lack of utility as a scorer. This is an area independent of teammates.

obviously correct and conceded. Tho Payton is hardly an efficient scorer himself.
penbeast0

Post#57 » by penbeast0 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:18 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:I'm not arguing that Kidd is the superior offensive player. I am arguing that there is not a vast gulf between he and Payton.

And I can agree that all of those players would likely have had more offensive success on those teams because you know what almost all those teams needed(putting aside the Carter years for a second): a scorer. And all of those players are better scorers.

But that's really not Kidd's fault that his teams didn't have the scoring options they needed to maximize Kidd's skill set. Just like I think none of those guys could have matched what Kidd did his 2nd run in Dallas. You are essentially punishing Kidd for poor roster construction that he plays no part in.

As far as that quote, well I never said that so I'm not sure why I'm being asked to defend it. But I think he was a good floor general, a great passer, and I think his TEAMS benefited from him which is more important to me than whether or not individual teammates maximized their individual production offensively.

So what is the excuse for Kidd during the Carter years? His teams were still extremely weak offensively with one of the top 50 scorers in NBA history.

As you haven't voted, I'm looking to sway your opinion (yes, I am not neutral in this debate, I have a strong opinion). If you say that the difference between Kidd and Payton isn't that great (presumably in Payton's favor from the way you said it); then to vote for Kidd you have to go with the idea that Kidd was that much better than Gary Payton (generally considered one of the two GOAT defensive PGs) defensively.

As for the second Dallas run; that was Dirk's team. They took the ball OUT of Jason Kidd's hand and made him a 3 and D roleplayer like a Brent Barry. Is that how you are successful with an all time great playmaking PG? All credit to Kidd that he reinvented himself as such; like Grant Hill in Phoenix, or Jason Richardson. It doesn't make him a top 50 player of all time. That has to come from his prime years which is what I am questioning.

I'm not asking you to defend the quote . . . it wasn't yours. I'm asking you to think about whether it's true. It's been posted in multiple threads and I hadn't looked into it until this one. Now that I did, I think that my impression I always had of Kidd is true and drza's impression of him is the one that looks questionable. I don't know why RAPM loves him so much (defense is certainly part of it) but the offensive genius meme that has been put out there for the last 10 years just looks really wrong to me.
Basketballefan
Banned User
And1: 583

Post#58 » by Basketballefan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:50 pm

I'm likely not voting for either but when it comes to the Payton vs Kidd debate that's being talked about i would side with Payton slightly in that debate.

I mean isn't Payton better on both ends when you think about it? Clearly better scorer, and not far off in playmaking. He is basically the GOAT point guard defender to me as well. Similar success/accolades though, both have a ring as role players and also took a team to the finals.
Texas Chuck

Post#59 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:59 pm

penbeast,

I think part of why the Nets teams with Carter weren't very good offensively was that I don't think Vince Carter is good enough to be an offensive anchor, the rest of the roster is pretty weak offensively, and Lawrence Frank was clearly always a defense-first coach. Think an earlier version of Thibs in that his offensive sets were rudimentary at best, but he knew his teams could compete by being really tough defensively. AND admittedly I think Jason Kidd isn't good enough to carry an offense by himself or with Vince Carter being the best offensive player on the team. Kidd should obviously take some criticism for the team offenses he has been part of. I just don't think the gap is accurately represented by simply listing the ratings. Payton had more offensive help and better offensive coaches.

My problem isn't with any of that. I agree that Kidd is not a great individual offensive player and I agree he is not going to carry a team offense to great heights alone. The issue for me personally in comparison with Payton is that I don't believe Payton is either. And while Payton is clearly the better scorer, Kidd is just as clearly a better playmaker.

I also will state that I think Payton is the superior man defender among the two. However I think Kidd's overall impact on defense is higher because he is one of the all-time great help defenders from the guard position much less the PG position, he can guard more players, and of course his elite defensive rebounding.

But again I'm troubled with this common theme I'm seeing. We have some evidence that shows Kidd is having massive positive impact: the team w/l numbers are staggering when he joins or leaves a team. RAPM shows him to be clearly having a big impact. But becuase he doesn't do it the way a traditional PG does, you seem to want to dismiss it. As I understand RAPM its not trying to explain how or why a player is impacting the game--it's just a stat showing how well a team performs when said player is on the court.

Kidd is just a unique player. There really isn't anyone else quite like him and thus he's very polarizing. As for me, I'm a bottom line guy. Is a guy having a major impact on his team's ability to win games? If yes and consistently yes and over a long period of time than I am going to think very highly of him. Whether that comes through elite offense like a Shaq or a Nash or elite defense like a Russell or an Admiral or great all-around play like a Mike, Duncan, or KG I'm going to rate him highly. I don't do style points when ranking players. Thus I don't really care how Kidd is doing it, but I can't ignore the clear evidence that he is.

Now I also think quite highly of Payton. He was a great defender, a decent scorer(with a wicked post game) and even at the end of his career he too was able to still have major input at key moments(see the 06 Finals). Not as consistently as Kidd, but Kidd's a freak in that regard.

And so I don't make you waste time convincing me(tho I am enjoying the discussion),

Official Vote: Jason Kidd
penbeast0

Post#60 » by penbeast0 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:20 pm

I don't see Kidd as that superior a playmaker. Better in the open court but fast break opportunities have become less and less a part of winning basketball. Not appreciably better in half court because his man can sag off him and Payton is able to force teams to react to him creating openings. I tend to believe that a defensive stopper on the perimeter is more valuable than one who plays the passing lanes, again, especially as teams move toward an increased emphasis on spacing and the 3 point shot. I watched a lot of New Jersey and was never as impressed with Kidd as everyone else seemed to be . . . . the change of teams issue is even more personnel related than the offensive differences between Seattle and New Jersey so while it's a point, I don't think it's as valuable a measuring stick.

I can't explain the RAPM difference; maybe I'm just not that clued in on RAPM. To some degree it's the difference between bringing in Nate McMillan, who I think of as a SMOY and All-Def team candidate, when you pull Payton as opposed to bringing in whoever was backing up Kidd. But until I find some correlation, to me, the individual stats, the team numbers, and the eye test are a lot stronger than the RAPM ones, especially when the RAPM ones are incomplete for Payton.

Return to Player Comparisons