There's one specific team IMO who would beat the 1996 Chi Bu

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

KyletheDingbat
Veteran
And1: 1,656

Re: There's one specific team IMO who would beat the 1996 Ch 

Post#21 » by KyletheDingbat » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:27 pm

Dipper, you are amazing and invaluable.

I have a hard time picking against the 96 Bulls vs any of these teams. In the Finals it boils down to a battle of wills. Everyone knows everyone's moves and the talent is usually fairly evenly matched. The 72 Lakers, 67 Sixers, 01 Lakers and 83 Sixers are all talented enough to play with the 96 Bulls, so the games would be close with maybe one or two blowouts. In those close games it's going to come down to who wants it most, and who is hardest to stop.

We know the 96 Bulls chemistry is at the very least GOAT candidate, so you don't have an advantage there. Size and defense, again the 96 Bulls are GOAT candidates. You're going to have to have a dominant big who can close games to exploit the Bulls one defensive weakness, and that big is going to have to outplay Jordan down the stretch. This is unlikely, as history shows us that in crunch time situations MJ turns his defenders into the loneliest people on earth. Wilt may have said in 96 he'd love to see his guys drive Jordan towards him in the paint, but in reality that might not be as appetizing.
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#22 » by Warspite » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:14 pm

To beat the Bulls you need a low TO team. The Bulls were not that great in the halfcourt and relied on the trap to force TOs and to score in transition. Im not sure the big post player is the answer because the Bulls would double and trap the post as well as anyone.

With the 1996 3pt line the 2014 Spurs would have a shot. Without the 96 3pt line the Bulls dont look as unbeatable

I still think the 67,86,87,89 Champs would be able to beat them.

The Bulls simply dont have the talent that those team with multiple MVP winners or a team like the Sixers who had 4 allstars or the Pistons who went 10 deep.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,015

Post#23 » by Owly » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:33 pm

KyletheDingbat wrote:Dipper, you are amazing and invaluable.

I have a hard time picking against the 96 Bulls vs any of these teams. In the Finals it boils down to a battle of wills. Everyone knows everyone's moves and the talent is usually fairly evenly matched. The 72 Lakers, 67 Sixers, 01 Lakers and 83 Sixers are all talented enough to play with the 96 Bulls, so the games would be close with maybe one or two blowouts. In those close games it's going to come down to who wants it most, and who is hardest to stop.

We know the 96 Bulls chemistry is at the very least GOAT candidate, so you don't have an advantage there. Size and defense, again the 96 Bulls are GOAT candidates. You're going to have to have a dominant big who can close games to exploit the Bulls one defensive weakness, and that big is going to have to outplay Jordan down the stretch. This is unlikely, as history shows us that in crunch time situations MJ turns his defenders into the loneliest people on earth. Wilt may have said in 96 he'd love to see his guys drive Jordan towards him in the paint, but in reality that might not be as appetizing.

Rodman was basically apart from the rest of the team (other than Haley). I mean you can take it as a tribute to the culture and Phil and other leaders that it played out as well as it did but I don't think you can call a situation like that "at very least a GOAT candidate" for chemistry. It played out well but I'm not sure it would always do so.
CaliBullsFan
Banned User
And1: 244

Post#24 » by CaliBullsFan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:19 am

96 Bulls vs the greatest teams ever on a neutral court

vs 64 Celtics. Celtics in 7
vs 67 Sixers. Sixers in 5
vs 71 Bucks. Bulls in 6
vs 72 Lakers. Bulls in 6
vs 73 Knicks. Knicks in 6
vs 82 Lakers. Bulls in 5
vs 83 Sixers. Sixers in 5
vs 86 Celtics. Celtics in 4
vs 89 Pistons. Piston in 5
vs 99 Spurs. Spurs in 4
vs 01 Lakers. Lakers in 6
KyletheDingbat
Veteran
And1: 1,656

Post#25 » by KyletheDingbat » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:42 am

Owly wrote:Rodman was basically apart from the rest of the team (other than Haley). I mean you can take it as a tribute to the culture and Phil and other leaders that it played out as well as it did but I don't think you can call a situation like that "at very least a GOAT candidate" for chemistry. It played out well but I'm not sure it would always do so.

Yeah that was a startling revelation. But on court that ball moved fluidly and they trampled opponents with smiles. I'm not sure I've ever seen a more joyous team. The essence of fun. Whatever personality quirks Rodman added, they were used as a spice in that recipe, and Pippen had yet to make his descent. That 96 season was a pinnacle.

Return to Player Comparisons