RealGM Top 100 List #43

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,265

Re: RealGM Top 100 List #43 

Post#41 » by trex_8063 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:26 pm

fpliii wrote:pen and Q touched on him a little, but I'm wondering how you guys feel about the Reed-Dwight comparison? It looks like Dwight's going to make the runoff (or win outright), but I'd be interested in reading some thoughts on the two. :)

This was from a prior thread (you may have already read it) when lukeharts voiced a similar question:

Spoiler:
lukekarts wrote:With Dwight getting penbeasts vote, I'm surprised there's not been any more discussion there, or indeed a justification as to why Howard, when you have a number of bigs - MVP-winning bigs such as Cowens and Reed, who are both perhaps overdue some discussion.

Penbeast, what's your reasoning for Dwight over those guys?

While you're not asking me (and I don't necessarily rank Howard ahead of both of them), I'll answer to this.....

While Cowens and Reed are indeed both MVP-winners, I don't think that necessarily need be a big distinction. Both of their MVP's can be taken with a grain of salt as---fairly clearly, imo---neither was ever the best player in the league. In a vacuum, I don't think anyone would seriously have considered taking Reed over West or an injury-free Wilt (or potentially a few others, like maybe teammate Walt Frazier) in '70. In a vacuum, I don't think most would take Cowens over Kareem, at the very least (+/- a few others), in '73. Note, for instance, that while they won MVP's, they ranked only 4th in RealGM RPoY project in their respective MVP years. And fwiw, Howard very easily could have been awarded the rs MVP over Rose in '11.

I'll give my "broad strokes" evaluation of their player qualities. I'm going to use broad categories, listed in what I think of as a rough descending order of importance for a center, and for each I'll rate them with a very simple 6-tiered labeling system (although I'll give some "in between" rates):
Great
Very Good
Good
Fair
Poor
Atrocious

And fwiw, I'm rating them vs other centers only, but to the full player spectrum of centers (i.e. including the Charles Shackleford's of the world as well as the Wilt's, Russell's, and Hakeem's). btw, "Intangibles" refers to a variety of things, including screen setting, leadership (on the court, on the bench, in practice/locker room, as well as with the media, off-season, etc), clutch play, hustle, etc.

Defense
Howard: Very Good
Reed: Good-to-Very Good
Cowens: Good-to-Very Good

Although Howard has three DPoY awards, I simply cannot quite think of him as a "great" defender in the same tier with guys like Mutombo, DRob, and Russell. While he's got all the physical tools, he doesn't appear to have the defensive smarts, instincts and timing to be a rim-protector in the same league as those guys. He's even behind Duncan, imo, as a shot-blocker (note Howard's career best per 100 blocks is 4.3, career avg is 3.1......Duncan's best is 4.5, career avg 3.4; even looking only at Howard's prime ('07-present) and looking at (mostly post-prime) Duncan over the same years, Duncan still holds even with him at 3.3). I posted on this at length some months ago. Howard hasn't consistently seemed to recognize some crucial technique involved in being a dominant shot-blocker, or realize that it's not all about elevation and reach......was Duncan really elevating at age 36 when he avg 2.7 bpg in just 30.1 mpg? It's very much about footwork (getting yourself in a position close to the shooter) and timing (often minimal jump required if you're timing is sound). Howard's more fond of the mega-leap for the big grand-standing "swat".
As a man defender, I don't seem him having the sound fundamentals of some other great defenders, although with the finite number of good offensive centers in the recent era, this hasn't been a big short-coming for him. I only voice these criticisms to site why I think he is definitively NOT a "great" defender. I still think he's worth a "very good", though.

Reed I gather was a fair-to-decent shot-blocker in his prime. I think his skills shined more in a man-defense set, though, where he was good at pushing guys off the block, making them catch the ball further from the hoop than they'd like, bodying up hard, etc. Man defense was a bigger deal in his time, too, because he'd routinely be facing elite offensive centers like Kareem, Wilt, Bellamy, etc. Not much lateral quickness that I could see, though. fwiw, here's some H2H stuff vs. Kareem (I haven't delved too far into the H2H finder for Reed):

Kareem avg’s 1969-73: 31.4 ppg, 8.1 FTA in rs
Kareem’s ‘70 playoff avg’s: 35.2 ppg, 10.1 FTA

Kareem H2H against Reed: 30.0 ppg (-1.4), 7.1 FTA (-1.0) in rs (5-11 record)
34.2 ppg (-1.0), 9.6 FTA (-0.5) in playoffs (1-4 record)

Cowens was the least valuable shot-blocker/rim-protector of the three. However, he too was pretty good at solid physical man defense. And he also appeared to have the best lateral quickness and defensive footwork if caught guarding a perimeter player on a switch. He also had a lot of hustle and heart. There's that one famous clip where he picks Robertson's pocket and hustles down the loose ball that showcases these latter aspects. I think he'd be the best of the three in defending the high pick-n'-roll in a modern context.

Scoring
Howard: Very good
Cowens: Fair-to-Good

Some may object to my rating Howard above the rest in this regard, so I'll explain my thinking. Howard's the tallest (if only marginally), arguably the strongest, and certainly the most explosive of the three guys. It has made him the best finisher by far. He also has a decent little jump-hook with either hand (he's almost better with his left than his right at this point). In raw numbers, Howard's scoring volume compares very well. When you pace-adjust it, he comes out significantly ahead, and he did so on better shooting efficiency, too (MUCH better when compared to Cowens). Although he does also likely have the highest turnover rate. Howard also has a much higher foul-draw rate than the other two. Even though he's not a good FT-shooter, the foul draw can still be significant: if teams employ a hack-a-Howard strategy or simply end up fouling a lot to prevent easy hoops that Howard otherwise gets himself in position for, this can lead to both foul trouble for the opposing team, or getting them in the penalty early in the quarter (which may result in FT's for Howard's better-shooting teammates).
I'd also point out that we could claim Howard has, to some degree, been at a disadvantage compared to the other two. The installing of a 3-point line, as well as recent rules changes have sort of stream-lined things for perimeter players on offense, essentially taking shot attempts away from low-post players.

Rebounding
Howard: Great (might reserve a "deity" category for Wilt, Russell, and Rodman)
Cowens: Very Good

Intangibles
Howard: Poor
Reed: Very Good-to-Great
Cowens: Good

Passing
Howard: Fair (maybe Poor-to-Fair???? or is that too harsh?)
Reed: Fair
Cowens: Great

As I see it, Howard certainly seems in the same neighborhood as these guys, and arguably marginally better. Statistical analysis will favor Howard:

Prime Reed (‘65-’71)---551 rs games
Estimated Per 100 possessions: 22.7 pts, 15.6 reb, 2.0 ast @ 52.5% TS% (+3.1% to league)
PER 19.0, .158 WS/48 in 36.9 mpg
Career rs WS: 74.9
Career playoff WS: 7.9

Prime Cowens (‘71-’78)--592 rs games
Estimated Per 100 possessions: 20.1 pts, 16.3 reb, 4.3 ast, 1.3 stl, 1.1 blk with 3.1 tov @ 49.5% TS% (-1.1% to league)
PER 17.6, .148 WS/48 in 40.3 mpg (only 1 prime year---’78---with both ORtg and DRtg: 108/97 (+11))
Career rs WS: 86.3
Career playoff WS: 9.4

Prime Dwight Howard (‘07-’14)--604 rs games
Per 100 possessions: 27.9 pts, 19.1 reb, 2.3 ast, 1.5 stl, 3.3 blk with 4.8 tov @ 60.5% TS% (+6.6% to league)
PER 23.1, .191 WS/48, 110 ORtg/97 DRtg (+13) in 36.3 mpg
Career rs WS: 103.1
Career playoff WS: 10.2

At this point, neither Cowens nor Reed has any particular longevity case on Howard.
Howard's got roughly 8 prime seasons amounting to 604 games, and 768 total rs games in 10 seasons. Cowen's has roughly 8 prime years amounting to 592 games, and 766 total rs games in 11 seasons. Reed, quite obviously, has the worst longevity/durability of the three: 7 prime seasons (551 rs games), with just 650 total games in 10 seasons.

Given the longevity concern as well as the above data and analysis, tbh I think Reed has historically been overrated.

Anyway, my 2c on the comparison(s).....
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Post#42 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:55 pm

Vote for #43 - Dolph Schayes

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... ydo01.html

- 15 year career
- 12x all NBA (6 1st, 6 2nd)
- 3 top 5 and 3 top 10 MVP finishes
- 1x NBA champion
- Retired having played the most seasons, games and minutes in league history*

*This includes NBL play, which I know technically doesn't count for this project. Let's just leave it as a fun fact. He was an ironman regardless.

What stands out most was his ability to get to the line and hit at an elite %: his career FT rate is .512, with a career high .654 in 50-51 (league avg was .399 that yr). His career FT% was 84.9% on 7.9 attempts per game. The league avg typically hovered around 70-73% throughout his career.

From the footage i've seen (currently looking for more), he had a consistent outside shot and good first step, with solid body control once he got into the lane. He also had a floater, which I find funny for some reason, but it was still effective. The nationals were also one of the best defensive teams in the league during his prime (yes, only 8-10 teams, but routinely ranked in the top 1-3 in DRTG).

Again, his marked consistency and longevity relative to his era really impressed me. In 54-55, he led the Nationals to the NBA title in 7 games over the #1 SRS ranked Pistons. One can point to inferior competition, but I think a player who was considered one of the best in the game for as long as he was deserves a spot in the top 50.

I simply don't think howard has the longevity to be in this spot. His peak and prime have been impressive, but the last few seasons since 2011 have left a lot to be desired. I don't really hold off the court stuff against players as long as it doesn't make its way onto the court. Since leaving orlando he's caused more headaches than anything else, was a waste in LA, and couldn't get HOU over the hump last season.

That was a crazy first round series, and he was solid statistically, but you still can't really go to him offensively when you need a basket. Admittedly, they should've been going P&R with him much more often, but he seemed to be under the mindset that he had to create in the post, and he just isn't good at it. When he was at his peak athletically, you could get around that, because he was doing other things on the court that you couldn't get from many players in the league.

As I've said in past threads, there can't be an exact science to comparing eras and "era portability". I take a combination of how a player performed relative to his era, the strength of that era, and to a lesser degree how his game would translate in the modern era. Playing "time machine" is inherently subjective when you go back to the 50s and 60s. There's no way of knowing how those players would translate.

At the least, you have to acknowledge that using modern training programs and other ways of developing skill / physical ability would help these old era players adapt to the game. For schayes specifically, you can tell that he was a gifted player skill set-wise, and the set shot was only part o his game. He was known for having a very high arc on his shot, and he could also shoot on the move. I look at pettit getting voted in at 21 (who I'd say I was an average advocate for in that range), and to me schayes is a deserving pick 20+ spots later.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#43 » by penbeast0 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:10 pm

Dwight Howard -- penbeast0, john248, SactoKingsFan, Quotatious

Dikembe Mutombo -- Jaivl, Chuck Texas

Tracy McGrady -- ronnymac2, E-balla

Dolph Schayes -- trex_8063, Clyde Frazier

Headed out for the night in a bit over an hour; hopefully someone will push into the runoff since right now it's a 3 way tie for 2nd.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
DQuinn1575
Sixth Man
And1: 705

Post#44 » by DQuinn1575 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:45 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Dwight Howard -- penbeast0, john248, SactoKingsFan, Quotatious

Dikembe Mutombo -- Jaivl, Chuck Texas

Tracy McGrady -- ronnymac2, E-balla

Dolph Schayes -- trex_8063, Clyde Frazier

Headed out for the night in a bit over an hour; hopefully someone will push into the runoff since right now it's a 3 way tie for 2nd.

I'll vote for schayes due to a longer period of greatness over mcgrady. Mutombo is one of the good for a long time guys that I don't support this high.

Vote for Schayes

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#45 » by trex_8063 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:04 am

DH vs DS runoff? Any reason we shouldn't start it now?....
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
penbeast0

Post#46 » by penbeast0 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:33 am

allright, the old big v. the new one . . . it's on
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
penbeast0

Re: RealGM Top 100 List #43 -- Dwight Howard v. Dolph Schaye 

Post#47 » by penbeast0 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:57 pm

I would like to compare Dolph Schayes to Dave Cowens. Both big men with outside/inside games who were tough defenders. Schayes has more accolades but in a weaker league, one championship as the best player, he also played longer. Cowens got more rebounds and assists but in a faster paced league, two championships as arguably the best player (contemporaries rated him over Havlicek though it was close).

As always it's hard to compare 50s guys so I won't do a statistical comparison though I welcome others doing so, but I don't see Schayes having a strong advantage over Cowens anywhere except foul draw and FT shooting; otherwise they seem reasonably comparable. That said, unless the 50s guy is clearly superior, I will tend to go for someone from the stronger era. The 70s are one of the weaker eras in NBA history, the 50s are the weakest.

I would go for Cowens over Schayes though it does seem reasonably close.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#48 » by E-Balla » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:58 pm

Yikes. This is difficult. I decided to read up on Dolph Schayes and the guy was a monster plain and simple. Issue is I don't think he'd fare well in any era other than the 50s (not even the mid to late 60s). Both guys are great playoff performers too but can I really pick Dwight with that large longevity gap?
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

RealGM Top 100 List #43 -- Dwight Howard v. Dolph Schayes 

Post#49 » by RSCD3_ » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:04 pm

I'll try to bring up some videos of Schayes will try to edit in the The same post

[YouTube]http://youtu.be/weI0YJDXLww[/YouTube]

This is all I could find on YouTube maybe someone has some hard copies they could burn on here in short notice Idk...

Anyways this is a mix of Richie Guerin, Jack Tyman and Dolph Schayes

It's a little hard to tell who's who but to help Schayes number is 4

I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,484

Post#50 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:36 pm

Vote: Dwight Howard

So, where I left it with some good folks last thread is that if you judge these guys based on how they'd carry over to other eras, Schayes should be much lower, but if you just go by era dominance and relative era difficulty, I could see him being more like this level.

It's important to factor in though: It's not like it needs to be the 21st century to see that Howard is a vastly more talented athlete than Schayes. You name the era, Howard would be way better.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

RealGM Top 100 List #43 -- Dwight Howard v. Dolph Schayes 

Post#51 » by RSCD3_ » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:51 pm

Vote Howard

Better portability, better defensive anchoring, MVP candidate 3 years, all star level for 3 other years

One guy is 195 lbs as a power forward granted modern weight training was nowhere near as good but I have doubts that he could maintain the level of quickness needed to be effective at a size big enough to go toe to toe with post-merger power forwards

I just feel a lot more comfortable trying to build around Howard than Dolph Schayes in really any era

I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,013

Post#52 » by Owly » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:46 pm

Mixed opinions on Schayes' D (I recall it being discussed).

The Positives
Championship NBA, by Leonard Koppett, from 1970 wrote:Schayes: At 6-8, Dolph was probably the best-rounded player of his size. He was an outstanding two-handed shooter from outside, and a first-rate driver, rebounder, defender. He blended perfectly with the flow of smaller men, and made Syracuse a champion (in 1955) and perennial threat. {This is Koppett's Scayes profile in a section naming him one of the top 9 NBA players to that point]

The Winners, by Howard Liss, from 1968, updated 1971 wrote:... His foul flip shot was deadly, his defensive skill unquestioned

Plus The Basketball Rating Handbook by Robert Kalich (from 1970) rated him as a 9 on D (higher than any non-active forward; only Sanders from then active forwards was a 10, there were no other 9s at forward; ignoring position the following were 10s Jerry West, Walt Frazier, Tom Sanders, Bill Russell, K.C. Jones; rated 9 were Jerry Sloan, Wilt Chamberlain, Nate Thurmond, Slater Martin and Dolph Schayes)

The Negatives
Schayes, in From Set Shot to Slam Dunk, 1987 wrote:I started out inside at center, but I just couldn’t cope with the MIkans and another seven-footer named Don Otten. I couldn’t guard in that three-foot lane. So I just gravitated towards becoming a forward .
Luckily in those days I wasn't really supposed to play defense. The teams back then were categorized in certain ways. There was a center, a passing guard, a shooting guard, a scoring forward, and a defensive forward. I happened to be the defensive forward, so I would always play against the defensive forward and he couldn’t score. So I was able to kind of free-lance. I was very fortunate in that respect because it really helped my rebounding a great deal. I never boxed out. I don’t teach it now because I never did it. SO I would play the defensive forward, he would never get the ball, always passing off to the offensive forward, who would do all the scoring. SO I was always able to leave him and help rebound. That gave me a lot of freedom, which helped my overall game.
In those rare instances where I had to play defense, I really didn’t do a very good job. I’d hold my man to 30 points a game, which of course made Cervi very angry. It also didn’t help that I was getting a lot of press, which would often promote jealousy. Cervi wanted me to play more defense. I’d say, “Look, Al, the guy I’m playing isn’t scoring because he never shoots the ball. They never give it to him.”

Anyhow voting Schayes again. One of the best peaks (McGrady, Johnston, stats wise maybe Stoudemire but ...), best extended peak (i.e. the above didn't maintain), career value added is close to the top (behind maybe Parish) and that's without really factoring in the additional value of a high peak (over thinly spread goodness). For what it's worth an excellent playoff player and clear cut best player on a champ.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#53 » by Quotatious » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:58 pm

Owly wrote:Plus The Basketball Rating Handbook by Robert Kalich (from 1970) rated him as a 9 on D (higher than any non-active forward; only Sanders from then active forwards was a 10, there were no other 9s at forward; ignoring position the following were 10s Jerry West, Walt Frazier, Tom Sanders, Bill Russell, K.C. Jones; rated 9 were Jerry Sloan, Wilt Chamberlain, Nate Thurmond, Slater Martin and Dolph Schayes)

Weird to see Thurmond as anything less than a 10, and guards like West/Frazier on the same level as Russell (I would expect Russ to be the only one rated as a 10, or maybe just him and Nate).

What was Dave DeBusschere's rating? Willis Reed? Oscar Robertson?
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#54 » by ronnymac2 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:37 pm

Vote: Dolph Schayes

Schayes has a clear longevity edge and doesn't seem to hurt his teams on the court. Seems like a pretty portable high volume guy, good rebounding, solid assist numbers for the position, and not a negative on D. His efficiency comes mainly from his foul draw + awesome FT shooting, so that worries me and makes me think Howard was better at his peak, but the longevity bridges that gap. I don't see Howard as having great longevity in any sense.

Honestly, I'd take Paul Arizin over Schayes if we want to talk about guys playing in the same era. Arizin's efficiency was a result of his ability to shoot a modern shot from outside the paint. Arizin was in my opinion the greatest offensive player of the era, and he won a title as the best player on the team. His game also translated well after the shot clock was instituted, no doubt because of his ability to pull the trigger quickly and cleanly without having to take a long time to load up — think Revolutionary War musket (Schayes) vs. a Tommy Gun (Arizin). No need for cross-era comparisons because unlike the musket and the Tommy, these two are from the same era. But I digress for now...
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
Basketballefan
Banned User
And1: 583

Post#55 » by Basketballefan » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:38 pm

Vote: Dwight Howard.

Dolphe was great and belongs in the top 50 but Dwight is just a better player. Better peak and prime by a comfortable margin therefore longevity means little here.

I don't take the 50s era very seriously. Dwight would've been better than Dolphe statistically had he played then.
drza
Analyst
And1: 1,852

Post#56 » by drza » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:57 pm

Difficult. How to gauge era is a consistent killer for me, especially when we get back to the 50s. Because if we base any significant portion of the vote on era translation then I don't know that guys like Shayes or Cousy would ever get voted in, and that doesn't feel right to me. I had some of this issue with Baylor after awhile, and even with Mikan...I think there's a such thing as going too far in evaluating players based on criteria that didn't really matter much in their times.

For this specific run off, I've already voted Dwight once so I think he's worthy. On the other hand, I remember being very impressed with Schayes as we went through the RPOY project, in some ways more so than contemporary Players that have already been voted in. Owlys articles upstream were great, detailing how he maximized his given role and was considered among the best of all time even into the 70s. I thought I'd vote Dwight here when I started typing, but at the moment I'm feeling:

Vote: Dolph Schayes
Creator of the Hoops Lab: tinyurl.com/mpo2brj
Contributor to NylonCalculusDOTcom
Contributor to TYTSports: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTbFEVCpx9shKEsZl7FcRHzpGO1dPoimk
Follow on Twitter: @ProfessorDrz
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Post#57 » by tsherkin » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:34 pm

Voting Dwight.

Portability, athleticism, size, rebounding, defense, efficiency (relative an absolute) all lean in his direction. Schayes' FTR isn't Dwight's (though it was nice and his FT% obviously not the same).

Leery of using his weight as an indicator (Dwight's gained 30 or 40 lbs since hitting the league as a teen), but his own comments about difficulty on the block don't sell the notion that he was a strong post defender or help defender.

Dwight has his own weaknesses and they aren't few, but I feel he has more to him as a player.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#58 » by trex_8063 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:51 pm

I wanted to speak to the notion of era portability once more. Again, era portability is pure speculation, but OK, so be it: let's speculate.

Now many are making statements akin to "Schayes couldn't bang around with the modern era bigs, therefore couldn't play." i.e. not giving him any other option, but rather pigeonholing him into the role he played in the 50's and early 60's; and once determining he's at a disadvantage to fill that EXACT role in a new context, immediately writing him off.

Schayes was listed at 6'7" (would probably be listed 6'8" today for his "in shoes" height). Was listed 195 lbs then; some modern weight-training on board, he's likely be anywhere from 205-220 lbs in a modern context. This is a frame similar to guys like Shane Battier, Trevor Ariza, or Rick Barry. So he'd be playing the SF position; which is perhaps not a bad role/option for him given some of the things he showed particular aptitude for.

I'd like to point out a few skill-set similarities Schayes portrayed (in his own time) to that latter character, Rick Barry:
Elite outside shooting: check.
Ability and willingness to put it on the floor and drive: check.
Elite FT-shooting: check.
Flare for and willingness to pass: check.
Solid rebounding for his size and position played: check.
Reputation for solid, though not elite, defense: check.

Now we've already established similar size/build, and I don't see a ton to suggest Barry was a vastly superior natural athlete otherwise. Schayes showed great aptitude for some of the same principle skills that made Barry great in the semi-modern era.

Since era portability is entirely impossible to prove, and is nothing more than speculation, is there much to suggest that Schayes necessarily couldn't be similar to a Rick Barry (or at least "Diet Barry") in a semi-modern game? I, for one, see it as a definite possibility. And if so, that could still easily put him in contention for this rank.
Food for thought if one is going to insist on making era portability speculation a big part of one's criteria (which I'm not advocating, as I think it's BY FAR the "noisiest" criterion we can go to).

tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Post#59 » by tsherkin » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:40 am

trex_8063 wrote:Schayes was listed at 6'7" (would probably be listed 6'8" today for his "in shoes" height). Was listed 195 lbs then; some modern weight-training on board, he's likely be anywhere from 205-220 lbs in a modern context. This is a frame similar to guys like Shane Battier, Trevor Ariza, or Rick Barry. So he'd be playing the SF position; which is perhaps not a bad role/option for him given some of the things he showed particular aptitude for.

I'd like to point out a few skill-set similarities Schayes portrayed (in his own time) to that latter character, Rick Barry:
Elite outside shooting: check.

For a PF? Yes.

For a contemporary SF?

No proof of that, since he never took a single three in his life and even Barry looked fairly mediocre once he was introduced to the shot later on in his career. This is definitely not a given for Schayes. It's possible, even likely, that he could develop into a 3pt shooter given his touch at the line and what-not, if he was in a Bonner-esque type role (or anyway, getting those kinds of shots from that range, I mean), but again, not a given.

Food for thought if one is going to insist on making era portability speculation a big part of one's criteria (which I'm not advocating, as I think it's BY FAR the "noisiest" criterion we can go to).

There are a lot more questions about forward portability for Schayes then there are reverse portability for Dwight, so that's one angle where Howard definitely has a favorable edge. Schayes played PF in his own time and MIGHT be able to convert to SF... and very likely would be diminished in the process, never mind the era-based deflation of his overall production.

Furthermore, you still have to contend with the fact that, despite all of his efforts to get to the basket, he still blew chunks from the field on a scale that's really embarrassing by modern standards. Not nearly so compared to his peers, naturally, but we're talking about a 38.0% FG player (15.5 FGA/g).

Terrible percentages on low volume while driving aggressively to the rim doesn't really produce confidence in forward portability. If his volume were higher, then it's at least justifiable. He did, however, have only ONE season of 40%+ from the field. League average FG% that year was 41.0% and he posted 40.1%.

So there are a lot of question marks regarding Schayes, as several others have already addressed.

His numbers look alright, I mean he's a career 18.5/12.1/3.1 guy in a slower era than the 60s, so in terms of possessions (and with a view to his fairly contemporary MPG), there isn't a ton of inflation based on those factors. What we have to look at is...

Do we really expect Schayes to rebound like Dennis Rodman in the modern league? Would he still be drawing at that rate in the modern game, against today's competition (or even that of the 70s/80s/90s)? Maaaaybe, but it becomes increasingly unlikely.

Are we talking about a low-efficiency guy?

He's a career 38% FG, 48.8% TS guy. That efficiency (not the FG%, but the TS%) was marginally above average, but we'd still have to project something like a 10-15% improvement in his FG% for him to get anywhere near modern efficiency, and since we didn't see a trend of rising FG% as the league improved during his own career, that seems unlikely. There are age and injury concerns associated with looking at a player's improvement over the course of his own career, of course, but he stayed relatively constant. A lot like Baylor, actually.

In 62, he was still a 20+ ppg scorer and he was still leading the league in FT% and he was a 46.1% TS player. He was injured, of course, which plays a role, but his 35.7% from the field versus the league average of 42.6% doesn't look so hot (he'd shoot 38.8% the next year on diminished volume). League average TS% was 47.9% against his 46.1%.

Not sufficiently substantial to conclusively prove anything, but basically, we're looking at a guy who's main strength was getting to the line and making those opportunities count, while sucking from the field. That sounds a lot like a smarter, lower-volume James Harden, a player who very few people respect in today's game. Obviously, Harden is more of a douche in many ways than Schayes, so that's really limited to "low FG%, high FTR, high FT%" as far as the comparison, but the point stands. You have to REALLY stretch yourself with some epic mental gymnastics to project him turning into a worthwhile first option based on those core traits of his game. In essence, he looks like a lower-volume version of Karl Malone or David Robinson having a bad playoff series where they can't hit the broad side of a barn from the field... a performance for which both would be (and have been) widely lampooned as ineffective.

And you could still increase his career-high FG% by 3-5% and still come to that same basic conclusion.

That sort of stuff gives me pause. As a SF, he'd be out on the wing a lot more. It's conceivable that he could post, and it's conceivable that he might receive touches at the elbow, but most SFs are used as spacers these days if they aren't primary scorers or point forwards, neither of which seem to really apply to Schayes in the modern context. He seems like he'd find a role, but I suspect that role would look a lot more like Buck Williams or Horace Grant than the 43rd best choice on an all-time greats list.

IMHO, of course, and by no means am I attempting to inject vitriol in this response to what trex was saying, since it's good to have the opposite viewpoint to keep perspective.
penbeast0

Post#60 » by penbeast0 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:48 am

Calling it for DHo

Dwight Howard (8) -- penbeast0, john248, SactoKingsFan, Quotatious, Doctor MJ, RSCD3_, Basketballefan, tsherkin

Dolph Schayes (6) -- trex_8063, Clyde Frazier, DQuinn1575, Owly, ronnymac2, drza

Return to Player Comparisons