Rockets are my bold prediction to finish top 2 Seed.

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,325

Re: Rockets are my bold prediction to finish top 2 Seed. 

Post#21 » by mdonnelly1989 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:05 am

Joao Saraiva wrote:OP don't you think Houston had a better team last year? I think losing Parsons might hurt them, and Lin off the bench seems to be a great 6th man option...

However yes Houston can maybe grab one of the top seeds, but #2 seems a little too much for me. I like the Howard/Harden combo, specially on offense. On defense I think Houston relies too much on how much Howard can help most players, their perimeter players really need to step up.

EDIT: I've been waiting for the Spurs to get old but it seems like it will never happen. Tim Duncan is like "the walking dead" - he made zombies cool again.

So if this is not the year Spurs drop their production, I think the top 3 seeds will be OKC, SAS and LAC.

I believe Trevor Ariza is a better all around SF then Parsons. Also he can stretch the court with a great 3 shot, I don't think Lin was that great to begin with.

I think it should be the Spurs in the top 2 seed with Houston. I just think they will it's a bold prediction I know.

Thunder have questions to answer. How will RW do as the lone Superstar. Sure Serge Ibaka will be back but idk and who knows when KD will actually be back. In a stacked Western Conference can they really afford for KD to be gone 6+ weeks?
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Post#22 » by SactoKingsFan » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:42 am

Ariza's more of a wild card than Parsons. We pretty much know what to expect from Parsons, but both of Ariza's high quality seasons were contract seasons.
ceiling raiser
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,728

Post#23 » by ceiling raiser » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:53 am

Hmm, not sure.

I think SA and the Clippers finish ahead of them. OKC should as well, unless KD misses a ton of time, and they fall apart without him.

The Mavs are also a legitimate darkhorse, and it would actually not shock me if *they* finished top 2 in the West.

Realistically, Houston doesn't have enough depth. Asik might not have been a huge factor given the situation with Dwight last year, but at least there's not a huge defensive drop off (if any at all). Lin is replaceable, but I don't think he was replaced. Ariza if he wasn't just playing up for the contract year again is a very nice player. Is that it though?

It looks like they picked up Scola again and Terry, but both are pretty much washed up at this point as far as I can tell. Does Terrence Jones step up and become a more reliable shooter? They benched him for Asik the last four games of the series vs Portland, maybe they're going away from him. Who else is a rotation-worthy player on this squad? You know what you're getting from Dwight/Harden/Beverley (and presumably Ariza), but unless Scola/Terry find the fountain of youth, one or two surprise players show up big time (Jones and Daniels, maybe?), I think they're one or two legitimate pieces away from being relevant in the conference.
Now that's the difference between first and last place.
cloudng8
Sophomore
And1: 140

Post#24 » by cloudng8 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:02 pm

fpliii wrote:Hmm, not sure.

I think SA and the Clippers finish ahead of them. OKC should as well, unless KD misses a ton of time, and they fall apart without him.

The Mavs are also a legitimate darkhorse, and it would actually not shock me if *they* finished top 2 in the West.

Realistically, Houston doesn't have enough depth. Asik might not have been a huge factor given the situation with Dwight last year, but at least there's not a huge defensive drop off (if any at all). Lin is replaceable, but I don't think he was replaced. Ariza if he wasn't just playing up for the contract year again is a very nice player. Is that it though?

It looks like they picked up Scola again and Terry, but both are pretty much washed up at this point as far as I can tell. Does Terrence Jones step up and become a more reliable shooter? They benched him for Asik the last four games of the series vs Portland, maybe they're going away from him. Who else is a rotation-worthy player on this squad? You know what you're getting from Dwight/Harden/Beverley (and presumably Ariza), but unless Scola/Terry find the fountain of youth, one or two surprise players show up big time (Jones and Daniels, maybe?), I think they're one or two legitimate pieces away from being relevant in the conference.

We got scola!?!?!? lol, thats news to me.
ceiling raiser
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,728

Post#25 » by ceiling raiser » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:28 pm

cloudng8 wrote:

lol I feel dumb now since I can't find it anywhere else, but for some reason B-R lists him as on your roster:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2015.html

Myst be an error. Can't find other sources substantiating that.
Now that's the difference between first and last place.
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#26 » by ronnymac2 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:30 pm

That's weird, I thought Scola was on Houston, too. :lol:
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
Witzig-Okashi
Rookie
And1: 379

Post#27 » by Witzig-Okashi » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:37 pm

I actually think if any of the teams in the west are to fall out, it'd be Houston (and besides, I want Phoenix to make it so badly) :)

I suppose if you see an emergence of Dwight back in his best days in Orlando (09-11), it's possible, along with consistent bench production. Out of all the playoff teams from last year in the WC, it's Houston's that I'm most concerned about. Ariza I think will do fine. During his first stint in Houston, he received all of that attention due to that good PS stretch he had. He's more established now as a season vet.
"Everybody eats"
-Bradley Beal
"*Sigh* The things I do for love."
-Courage the Cowardly Dog
cloudng8
Sophomore
And1: 140

Post#28 » by cloudng8 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:54 pm

fpliii wrote:
cloudng8 wrote:

lol I feel dumb now since I can't find it anywhere else, but for some reason B-R lists him as on your roster:

Its probably because hes such a huge fan favorite. lol.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#29 » by Jaivl » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:51 pm

fpliii wrote:lol I feel dumb now since I can't find it anywhere else, but for some reason B-R lists him as on your roster:

Maybe has something to be with the amnesty?
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,832

Post#30 » by GSP » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:56 pm

I think theres a better chance they miss the playoffs TBH
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,947

Post#31 » by Woodsanity » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:38 pm

There is a higher chance that the Rockets don't make the playoffs at all.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#32 » by JordansBulls » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:54 pm

Exodus wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make the playoffs

You gotta be kidding me here? They have arguably the best player in the league and another top 5 player on the team.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,886

Post#33 » by LarsV8 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:13 pm

Rockets could land anywhere from 10th to 3rd.

West is pretty crazy.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,881

Post#34 » by Colbinii » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:00 am

JordansBulls wrote:

You gotta be kidding me here? They have arguably the best player in the league and another top 5 player on the team.

What? We aren't talking about the Thunder...
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#35 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:08 am

No depth....

No proven back up C, PG or SF

Bench will lack scoring punch, no one on that bench capable of scoring 15 pts consistently.

Everybody props Ariza's defense, Trevor is better at reading passing lanes than being a lock up man. But Trevor alone won't help them as long as Harden sleeps on rotations.

I see them falling way back...probably not making it if Morey can't fix their depth issues, that's going to be their undoing.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by mdonnelly1989 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:15 am

drag_on wrote:Offensively gifted lol. Joke thread

Sounds like the jokes on you eh?
mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by mdonnelly1989 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:17 am

Wow.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Post#38 » by bondom34 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:40 am

mdonnelly1989 wrote:

Wow.

MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,278

Post#39 » by RSCD3_ » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:47 am

I'll say that my post on the first page was a joke because I thought everyone was hating on the rockets.
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
te887848
Starter
And1: 644

Post#40 » by te887848 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:51 am

Due to injuries to OKC and a silly rule favoring division winners that screwed over LAC, they did get the 2 seed.

Return to Player Comparisons