Swap Reggie Miller and Michael Jordan

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Swap Reggie Miller and Michael Jordan 

Post#1 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:33 pm

How many rings do the Bulls Win?

Let's remember that in Pippens first year without Jordan he won 55 games, he was 4th in MVP voting, and they lost in games 7 to New York after sweeping Cleveland. Pete Meyer was the starting SG and averaged just 8 PPG. How good would that team have been with Reggie Miller as a 1st/2nd option? How good would they have been all those other years?
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,842

Re: Swap Reggie Miller and Michael Jordan 

Post#2 » by Joao Saraiva » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:41 pm

That's a very good question.

I doubt the Bulls can win the championship in 1991. I don't see Reggie having more APG than Magic after 4 games like MJ did, or having than insane amount of PPG at the same efficiency. The Bulls might be competitive but I think they would eventually lose.

In the Bulls in 96 there is a good chance Reggie wins the championship. That's one of the most stacked teams ever. I'm not so sure about the other years I'd have to think about it a lot more, but I believe Reggie would win 1-3 tittles at most.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
Chi-laska
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#3 » by Chi-laska » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:42 pm

Before I answer your question, should I assume that Jordan is on the Pacers between 91-99?
drag_on
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#4 » by drag_on » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:51 pm

Probably 0-1 because there would be no clear cut best player with him and Pippen. Then, you would be facing Jordan's Pacers with all those big boys and depth that 98 Bulls needed a game 7. Reggie/Pippen's Bulls would make the finals 2-3 times though.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#5 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:52 pm

Chi-laska wrote:Before I answer your question, should I assume that Jordan is on the Pacers between 91-99?

I guess that would only be fair.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
Chi-laska
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#6 » by Chi-laska » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:04 pm

I think they get one title in 95, I think they make a finals appearance in 94 but lose to Houston. I think he would be the first option on offense but Scottie would have the ball in his hands more. I think Phil would like Reggie in the triangle offense because he is more of a catch and shoot player than Jordan. But the dropoff of defense in Jordan's absence prevents them from winning as many titles. Jordan and Pippen got a lot of fast break points from smothering perimeter defense.
RonSwanson
Junior
And1: 315

Post#7 » by RonSwanson » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:34 pm

GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#8 » by GYK » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:57 pm

I think they could have won one. This is assuming Mike is gone. I also think every other great would have won during this time as well.

Losing Mike is taking away a significant portion of their scoring/defense/rebounding/playmaking. Reggie replaces some but the gap is still there. I know they won 55 without him but the next season they were around a .500 time before he returned. Without Mike they have a .597 record. That's around 49 wins. Certainly not the juggernaut they once were. Still a great defense and a component offense. Reggie helps and maybe turn them into a 50+ win team but certainly not favorites. As they still would be just one of the 50 win teams in the league.

I however believe they can win a ring during this era. Multiple is hard to see. Replacing a 33.6/6/6 Finals performer is just so much to ask.

Return to Player Comparisons