Post#1 » by mdonnelly1989 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:48 pm

Who would you take to start a team?

Drummond or DMC
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,833

Re: Starting a Team: Andre Drummond or DMC 

Post#2 » by Colbinii » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:07 pm

DC for me and they aren't in the same tier in terms of current players or potential.

I can never see Drummond having an offensive post game and his defense tends to get overrated. I'm not bashing AD, I think he is a very solid big man prospect with all the measurables , but he lacks basketball skills and moves.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#3 » by HornetJail » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Cousins is better now and probably for the next few years at least, but Andre Drummond is doing what he's doing now at the age of 20! Imagine what happens once he's actually learned the game. If somebody in the near future is an All-Defensive Team player that can put up 20/15, it's probably Drummond. Cousins is an amazing player and will continue to improve, but I seriously think Drummond has an even higher ceiling. They're going to be the unquestioned top 2 centers in the league for a long time. Also, having Drummond on a rookie contract for two-years is a huge plus.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#4 » by GYK » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:28 pm

I think Counsins at this point is better but give me Drummond.
I love the Dwight like qualities in his game. He with SVG system is perfect for today's league or any era.
I think he'll soon be a one man top ten defense.
His physical ability will pressure everyone into the paint leaving open shots or an outmatched big inside.

I fully expect 35 minutes for Andre this season.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#5 » by nate33 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:40 pm

This is a really good question. Both guys put up great numbers that so far haven't really translated into wins.

I think GYK makes a good point. I really want to see Drummond under SVG before making a decision. Drummond has Dwight Howard potential. If you put a guy to my head, I'd go with Cousins though. Even if Drummond becomes an elite defensive big, it's still likely that he'll never be a go-to offensive threat and his FT shooting is likely to be a permanent liability. Cousins isn't far from being a dominant two-way player.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Post#6 » by tsherkin » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:45 pm

Cousins will never be a dominant defender IMO, but his 2014 campaign on O was pretty impressive. Not drop-jaw incredible, but a significant forward step. We'll see what happens this year.

I'd take DMC building a team, though. Drummond has "healthy Tyson Chandler Plus" written all over him. There are not even a dozen focal-option bigs in league history worth the effort and he is definitel not one.

In truth, I probably wouldn't build AROUND either player, but I'd be happy to have either on my roster.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Post#7 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:57 pm

Would be an easier question to answer after next season. I'd still go with cousins, probably. Given how talented he is, i'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt of being in a bad situation in a stacked western conference. He really reminds me of a bigger, poor man's version of barkley skill-set wise. It's pretty scary.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgSyYUMIy-w[/youtube]
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#8 » by RSCD3_ » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:38 pm

tsherkin wrote:Cousins will never be a dominant defender IMO, but his 2014 campaign on O was pretty impressive. Not drop-jaw incredible, but a significant forward step. We'll see what happens this year.

I'd take DMC building a team, though. Drummond has "healthy Tyson Chandler Plus" written all over him. There are not even a dozen focal-option bigs in league history worth the effort and he is definitel not one.

In truth, I probably wouldn't build AROUND either player, but I'd be happy to have either on my roster.

He'll never be dominant but he can be very good, I don't like him trying to take so many charges, the guy has a 9'5 Standing reach and can play great man/post defense.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#9 » by Kabookalu » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:26 am

If Drummond can acquire a bruiser mentality out of nowhere I'd pick him. In the likely case he doesn't, Cousins.
Read on Twitter
Effercon
Pro Prospect
And1: 210

Post#10 » by Effercon » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:49 am

Drummond is a future All-Star, but Cousins is a future Hall of Famer. Calling it now.

Cousins, and I don't find it particularly close.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#11 » by Prokorov » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:22 am

I went with cousins.

I just dont think drummond has the potential to even reach where cousins is currently at offensively. and while i love drummonds potential on D and his work on the glass, DMC just has more upside, and has already reached 22/10 status, giving him low bust rate
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#12 » by bondom34 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:58 am

I went with Cousins as well, just because at this point, Drummond is still less proven. If SVG gets the most of him, watch out, but as of today Cousins is a more known commodity. Amazing offense, not so much on defense, but capable of being a first option on any team. I like the Drummond as Tyson Chandler plus comp.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Jaseface
Banned User
And1: 81

Post#13 » by Jaseface » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:36 pm

Give me Drummond. He has a very high ceiling. On any given night, he could grab 20 caroms, and if he ever really develops an offensive game, he is going to be scary good. Add in the fact that DMC has proven to be immature, a hot-head, and an overall headache, and this is an easy choice for me.
Sign5
Head Coach
And1: 9,680

Post#14 » by Sign5 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:02 pm

DMC is the safe pick but I like Drummond's ceiling more.
Dynomike
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#15 » by Dynomike » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:50 pm

I'll agree that Drummond has greater potential but you already know what you're getting with Cousins. Cousins has a shot at being the best all around center this year and he still has room to grow. Sure he's had his share of attitude problems, but I think a lot of that will go away as he matures and starts winning. Plus he has a really good body type for a center that will help him be consistent and durable.

tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Post#16 » by tsherkin » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:46 am

RSCD3_ wrote:He'll never be dominant but he can be very good, I don't like him trying to take so many charges, the guy has a 9'5 Standing reach and can play great man/post defense.

He's certainly not a BAD defender, I just think it's a bit misleading to discuss him as a two-way player when that phrase is typically used to denote a particularly SIGNIFICANT defender, you know what I mean? Drummond is a much more significant defensive presence and still a very useful offensive player despite his FT woes, so he's a lot more of a "two-way player" than DMC, even if it's possible that Cousins' offense may actually outweigh those two things if he tweaks his game a bit.

Keep in mind that while didn't suck as far as efficiency goes (actually, he had a fine season of nearly 56% TS), his ORTG was still only 107 (against a league average of 106.7) because of his pedestrian FT% and his high turnover rate. Still, it represents a major forward step for him because of how divergent it was from his previous seasons, so if he can maintain that efficiency and boost himself in a couple of areas by just a little, then we're talking about a more worthwhile player to whom the Kings should give that sort of possession usage. A fine developmental season, really, but is it enough to justify his utility over Drummond?

That is another question. I tend to side with Cousins here because he's got more potential to be that kind of dominant guy, but it is an engaging notion to discuss.
Rob Diaz
Analyst
And1: 5,390

Post#17 » by Rob Diaz » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:10 am

I actually disagree with those that are saying Drummond has the higher ceiling.

Cousins's ceiling is absolutely higher. He has the body/skills to be a dominant post player and good defender, while I don't believe Drummond has the fluidity or has shown the signs that he can develop a high-level ability as an offensive creator.

With that being said, I'm not a fan of Cousins, at all. He's one of the most overrated players in the league IMO. Average defensive player, relatively weak efficiency, extremely emotional. It doesn't help that he has been playing for a questionable organization with an unorganized system on the court, but how often do players shed the label of being emotional/mentally weak?

Cousins's best-case scenario is better, but his worse-case scenario is also worse IMO. His bottom is a team cancer, high-usage, low efficiency player that nobody wants to play with.

With Drummond, even if he doesn't make any additions to his game, he can at least be relied on to be Deandre Jordan, a very good 3rd big/temporary 2nd big on a title team.

If I'm evaluating players, I have to consider which player is more coachable and lower-maintenance, it's a reality that we don't face as fans, but that coaches/GMs/teammates have to deal with. Cousins has already shown that he's mentally unstable and high-maintenance.

He's young and that could change, but I'd rather choose the player with a similar ceiling and with less emotional baggage.
KyletheDingbat
Veteran
And1: 1,656

Post#18 » by KyletheDingbat » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:04 am

Drummond. Cousins has a generational talent to tank a franchise. Apparently some NBA guys have said off the record that he's one of the worst people to be in the league in years. I don't want Bad News Barnes as the tentpole of my team. Drummond might never be the best player on a championship team, but he could be an important player on a championship team, and I'd be surprised if a team with Cousins ever acquires the chemistry to make a title push.
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Post#19 » by SactoKingsFan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:20 am

As a Kings fan I've seen most of Boogie's growing pains, but I'd still rather have him than Drummond. DMC is clearly more skilled, has a better understanding of the game, has the potential to be e very good defender and can dominate on offense with his footwork, post moves and passing. He'll most likely be the best C in the league for at least a few seasons. Not sure if Drummond will ever put it all together and realize his potential.

Return to Player Comparisons